Authentic Thai Chicken Soup Recipe
Yesterday I decided to get a Thai massage. I suffer from a stiff neck and shoulders. For some reason, I hold all my tension in there! I love a good hot oil massage but the Thai massage is, well slightly different. More ‘painful’ but today I can move really freely and feel great! The woman was literally walking up my legs and back, digging her knees and elbows into me and making me yelp! However, ‘no pain no gain’ as they say, and today I can honestly say I feel great after it. And yes, all that gave me the inspiration to make this authentic Thai chicken soup recipe.
Thai Food Inspiration
While I was having this massage, I was listening to Thai music, gazing around the room at Buddha statues, candles and Thai pictures, and afterwards sipping a Thai tea. So I guess I got a craving for Thai food! For this reason I decided to make tom kha gai, or Thai chicken soup, for lunch once I got home. I had most of the ingredients already, I just needed to grab some chicken and cilantro.
I found this authentic Thai chicke soup recipe quick and easy to put together and the flavor was wonderful. Making the chicken broth before sieving the ‘bits’ out and using it to make the actual soup is recommended. Just begin with all the ingredients laid out, plus one pot, one sieve and a serving bowl and spoon, and you will find this an absolute breeze to prepare.
You can switch the chicken thighs for breast but do NOT overcook it! Chicken breast is lean and yes, it has some flavor, but it dries out super-quick if you cook it too long while the thigh meat is more forgiving in Tom Kha Gai Thai chicken soup.
Some people use tofu to make this soup and, while that isn’t a traditional Thai ingredient, at least not in this soup, it does work. You could even use shrimp (prawns) but they will be cooked in about 2 minutes, so add them later than you would add the chicken.
Modifications for Gluten-Free or Low Carb
Use gluten-free chicken stock and fish sauce if you are eating a gluten-free diet, or swap the palm sugar/brown sugar for artificial sweetener if you are diabetic/eating low carb, or just prefer not to have sugar.
Although this recipe makes 4 servings of our authentic Thai chicken soup recipe, I admit it was so yummy I had 2 servings for lunch (instead of 1) and I am going to have the other half tomorrow! I will just reheat it in a pan on the stove until nearly boiling, then enjoy. This soup is authentic, yummy and really, really worth making, I promise you!
I changed the original tom kha gai recipe to make it quicker and easier to prepare without losing the authentic flavor, and this recipe really delivers. Serve it for lunch or dinner, or even in small bowls as an appetizer before your evening meal. So could you make crockpot Thai soup? Well probably but don’t add the cilantro until the very end.
- 2 fresh lemongrass sticks, in 2-inch (5cm) pieces (or 2 teaspoons bottled chopped lemongrass)
- 3 cups (750ml) chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon (20g) fresh galangal, peeled and thick-sliced (or 2 teaspoons bottled chopped galangal)
- 2 teaspoons cilantro (fresh coriander) roots and stems
- 4 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 lb (450g) thinly sliced chicken thigh fillets
- 7 oz (200g) sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 cup (250ml) coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon grated palm sugar or brown sugar
- 1 or 2 seeded, thinly sliced fresh Thai red chilies
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 shredded fresh kaffir lime leaves (optional)
- 1 thinly sliced fresh lemongrass stick (optional)
- Handful of cilantro (fresh coriander) leaves
- If you're using fresh lemongrass, cut it into 2-inch (5cm) pieces and bash them with a kitchen knife to help release the flavor.
- Put the stock in a pan with the lemongrass, galangal, cilantro roots and stems, and whole lime leaves.
- Bring to a boil then turn the heat down and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Strain the stock into a bowl.
- Rinse out the pot then return the strained stock into there.
- Add the chicken and mushrooms.
- Bring to a boil then turn down the heat and simmer until the chicken is cooked (about 5 minutes).
- Now you can stir in the lime juice, coconut milk, sugar, chilies and fish sauce.
- Heat the soup through until it is almost boiling but not quite.
- Stir in the kaffir lime leaves and lemongrass (if using) and the cilantro, then serve hot.
I didn't have kaffir lime leaves either but just added some extra lime juice to the soup and it worked well.
I used light coconut milk and that worked fine.
Some More Hot Content For You
- An Introduction to Appetizer RecipesThere are simple snacks and there are complicated ones. You have probably made appetizer recipes before, or snacks for parties. If you’re totally new to cooking maybe you are worried about making your own, but there is really no need because they are so easy. Sticking cocktail sticks into cubes of cheese counts as making a starter, as does opening a jar of olives and putting them into a dish. Of course these aren’t the most impressive dishes you could come up with! There are appetizer recipes and snacks for every occasion, whether you are catering for a party, a buffet, a sporting event, a coffee morning or something else. Some .....
- Jamie Oliver Superfood Salad CopycatMy husband and I had lunch at the Jamie Oliver restaurant in Cardiff last year and it was really good! I had the avocado superfood salad with smoked salmon and it really made an impression. I loved all those flavors and it looked gorgeous too. I wanted to recreate it so I came up with this Jamie Oliver superfood salad copycat recipe. It’s not identical but pretty close! What’s in It? The Jamie Oliver superfood salad copycat salad is made with avocado, beets, grains, kale, toasted seeds, and a tasty harissa and lemon dressing. On top of that you have avocado, pomegranate and poppy seeds. The following recipe is a copycat attempt, .....
- Easy Winkles RecipeWinkles are little black shellfish that look like snails. They may be enjoyed as part of a seafood platter or fruits de mer, or you can enjoy them as a snack by themselves, or with some bread and butter, as an easy winkles recipe appetizer. You can buy winkles either cooked or live but if you’re shopping for fresh ones (or picking your own) to make an easy winkles recipe, first you should check the smell. Good winkles smell slightly sweet and like the sea. They might move visibly. Live ones need to be rinsed in plenty of cold water before being soaked in salted water for half an hour before you boil them. Very Easy Winkles Recipe Ideas .....
- Oysters in Chive Sauce RecipeOysters are great served either cold or warm like in this delicious seafood starter recipe. You can serve this as a canape or as a starter dish for a summer dinner. Oysters are not the cheapest type of seafood but they are special and you do not have to serve a lot to each diner. Make this oysters in chive sauce recipe and you won’t regret it. Oysters in Chive Sauce Recipe: Surprisingly Simple to Make A lot of people think twice about making oysters recipes because they are thought to be difficult but actually the opposite is true. Oysters are easy to work with. In this recipe for oysters you simply make the sauce and grill the oysters .....
- How to Create Your Own Curry RecipeThis is a 4-step guide to making curry, and you can make it as mild or as spicy as you wish. Follow the steps learning how to create your own curry recipe and you will end up with the most delicious dish. There is nothing to worry about when making such a dish and it is best to get creative. So read through this to find out the 4 stages of curry making, then get yourself into the kitchen and prepare something wonderful – no need to follow any recipe to the letter! Step 1 in this how to create your own curry guide is all about softening any dense ingredients which will take a long time to tenderize. If you are using tough cuts of meat .....
- How to Poach an Egg like a ProPerfect poached eggs are a tasty idea for breakfast, perhaps with buttered toast and some bacon or sausage. They can also be served as a garnish or side dish with meat. You might be wondering how to poach an egg like a pro in the microwave, how long to poach eggs or even how long to poach quail eggs since they are so much smaller. The most typical way to poach an egg is in a pan of water on the stove, although we are going to look at microwave poaching as well. Bring a pan of water to a boil and add a pinch of sea salt. Now crack an egg into a cup, then pour it into the water. Repeat with however many eggs you are poaching. They will start .....
- Walden Farms Calorie-Free Food ReviewFlavorful Items to Complement Your Diet This calorie free food is for anyone looking for items which do not contain calories, carbohydrates, fat or sugar. Doesn’t that sound exciting! Their range includes fruit spreads, regular and flavored mayo, pouring syrups, salad dressings, pasta sauces, whipped peanut spreads, dips for chips or fruit, condiments, and more. Carb-Free Too These products contain no carbs either, so you can enjoy as much as you want. But what do these calorie free food products actually taste like? I have bought a selection of them recently, to try them out for myself, and I have to say some are better than others. .....
- Pesto Spaghetti with Easy MeatballsThis is a great pesto spaghetti recipe to make if you are in the mood for Italian but also looking for something you can just throw together and have on the table half an hour after you thought of making it! Spaghetti and meatballs is a typical Italian dish which combines pasta and meat in a simple way, and although a tomato sauce is often served with such a dish, pesto spaghetti is also nice and it is what we are using here, although you can switch one for the other if you like. We are making baked meatballs and you can prepare the pesto spaghetti while the meatballs are baking, then have everything together at once. Make sure you have some .....
- Dairy Free Grilled Asparagus with Lemon and Chives RecipeNot being able to eat dairy does not limit your starter options. Just look at this dairy free grilled asparagus recipe. This delicious grilled asparagus is served in a lemon and chive dressing. It is a light starter which goes well with almost any main course. Dairy Free Grilled Asparagus: Freshness Counts with Asparagus Asparagus is seasonal but you will find it all year round because it is imported. If you can get fresh, local asparagus during the spring though, it is highly recommended. Obviously anything grown nearby is going to taste superior to something grown halfway around the world and shipped in. So get fresh asparagus wherever .....
- Kedgeree Made with Couscous or RiceThis kedgeree recipe is a traditional British breakfast from colonial India, offering a great balance of smoky and spicy flavors. Enjoy this for lunch or dinner. It is also good for breakfast if you fancy something fishy. Yes this dish is usually made with rice but try kedgeree made with couscous if you want something deliciously different. Shrimp and haddock are combined with the rice or couscous and there are hardboiled eggs and onion in there as well, and some lemon juice which brings out the lovely fishy flavors. This kedgeree made with couscous recipe is much simpler to make than you might have thought, so why not try this at the .....