Authentic Chinese Wonton Soup
Traditional Chinese food recipes are fascinating and following these will allow you to prepare the meal as it has been made and enjoyed for centuries. Every element of the authentic Chinese wonton soup recipe including the ingredients, preparation and serving suggestions are authentic.
The original style of preparing and cooking the Chinese recipes are incredible, and will allow you to indulge in top quality Chinese foods, keeping things traditional at every stage.
Ensuring that Chinese Food Recipes are Traditional
You may enjoy Chinese food, but what you purchase in the local takeout or eat at a Chinese buffet is unlikely to be traditionally Chinese. This means if you have the opportunity to experience traditional Chinese recipes as they should be prepared, you will be surprised. The taste, texture and preparation methods are likely to be incredibly different. Try this authentic Chinese wonton soup to start your taste buds off on your culinary journey.
Where to Find Traditional Chinese Recipes
Finding traditional Chinese recipes will be harder than you think, as many of the recipes available online have been modified. Locating a website with traditional recipes may take some time but it will be incredibly rewarding.
You will be able to spoil yourself with delicious wontons, tasty noodles and exotic flavors.
Another great idea is to treat yourself to an authentic Chinese cookbook written by a Chinese chef.
That way you can be totally sure the food you are preparing is completely traditional and not a modern interpretation of hybrid Western-Chinese fare.
Easy Chinese Recipes Book, on Amazon
Getting Authentic Ingredients
Traditional recipes will need the correct ingredients, which can be difficult to find. Ethnic grocery stores are the best place to begin your search, and you will be amazed at what they have to offer. Markets and Asian warehouses are perfect for discovering the ingredients you may not have been able to find previously.
Making Authentic Chinese Wonton Soup
A great starting point in your Chinese cooking adventure has to be wonton soup. This delicacy is enjoyed in China and although the wontons are often filled with a shrimp and pork mixture, you can use any stuffing you want.
The wontons for this authentic Chinese wonton soup are usually cooked in water, then transferred into the cooked soup. Serve small portions of this as a snack or appetizer, or larger ones as a complete filling meal. Feel free to adapt the following recipe adding other ingredients like vegetables, noodles or anything else you want, and make it mild or spicy as you prefer.
- 10 cups (2⅓ liters) chicken broth
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- 1½ cups (100g) chopped bok choy
- 1 minced garlic clove
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ lb (225g) ground pork
- 30 wonton wrappers
- ¼ cup green onions
- ¼ cup bamboo shoots
- 1½ teaspoons rice wine vinegar
- ½ cup sliced shiitake mushrooms
- Heat the oil in a big pot then add the garlic and ginger.
- Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the green onions and broth, simmer for 30 minutes.
- Mix the egg yolk, rice wine vinegar, pork, soy sauce, sesame oil and red pepper together.
- Lay out the wonton wrappers, and fill with the pork mixture.
- Wet the edges and seal into triangles to ensure the mixture cannot leak.
- Pinch out any excess air.
- Cook the bok choy, bamboo shoots and mushrooms in the soup.
- Add the wontons using a spoon.
- Simmer the broth and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Understanding Yeast Infection SymptomsYeast is present throughout your body at all times, and only becomes an issue when it begins to rapidly grow and you start to notice yeast infection symptoms. This fungus is something that everyone should be aware of, and understand the symptoms behind the infection. Once you understand the different symptoms, you can discover the solutions to this uncomfortable problem. Discovering the Different Forms You may be surprised to discover that vaginal yeast infections do vary and that there may only be a few similarities. This can make identifying yeast infection symptoms a little trickier. Each form of infection will need to be treated in a .....
- Very Low Carb Bread RecipeThere is low carb bread and there is this very low carb bread recipe. If you’ve been doing Atkins or low carbing for a while, you will have tried some of the more ‘eggy’ or ‘dense’ breads and while they are passable (just!) they aren’t exactly a good bread substitute. Some low carbers will forgo the bread entirely, choosing to wrap their burger or sandwich in a large lettuce leaf instead and while there is nothing wrong with that, sometimes it’s nice to have something a bit chewier and more bready, even if it isn’t going to be that high-carb processed stuff you used to eat before. There are .....
- 7 Boneless Skinless Chicken Thigh RecipesChicken thighs are a wonderful option. Not only are they cheap and easy to find, but they are also very tasty, boating plenty of flavor. You can make all kinds of delicious boneless skinless chicken thigh recipes and you are sure to adore the taste. Unlike chicken breast, which can dry out quickly, the higher fat content in chicken thighs keeps them succulent and moist. They are forgiving even if you overcook them a bit. If you spot some on sale in the grocery store, grab them because there are plenty of wonderful boneless skinless chicken thigh recipes you can rustle up using chicken thighs. You can expect a great flavor from a good chicken .....
- Creamy Pumpkin BakeThis creamy pumpkin bake is a low carb recipe you will love. Serve it as a snack, dessert or appetizer. There are very few ingredients required so this would be perfect for any home cook, novice, advanced, or anything between these two. Our creamy pumpkin bake is something you might already have all the ingredients for, so why not get stuck in and make this? It is quick and easy to prepare and you will be so glad you made it. I love pumpkin and it’s available for most of the year here in its fresh form. It also keeps a long time. I buy canned pumpkin and that lasts for ages in the pantry, but make sure you choose the sugar-free kind. .....
- Crab Rangoon Wontons Made with Gyoza WrappersI had a problem a couple days back. I was in the mood for crispy wontons and having recently bought a deep fat fryer and knowing I had some wonton skins in the freezer, I didn’t think anything could go wrong. However, the wonton wrappers were broken! I still fancied some crab rangoon wontons though. Can you use gyoza wrappers for wontons, I wondered. Would crab rangoon wontons made with gyoza wrappers actually work? Only one way to find out! Making Wontons with Gyoza Skins Gyoza wrappers are round not square and they are thicker than wonton wrappers. When I make gyoza I usually steam them or make potstickers so I was not sure how they .....
- Chilled Cherry Soup RecipeThe following chilled cherry soup recipe features lemon and cinnamon to highlight the wonderful cherry flavor and lend a gourmet touch to this soup, while the flour thickens it up a bit and the sour cream adds a nice tang. A Starter or a Dessert This chilled cherry soup recipe would be excellent served as a starter recipe or for dessert, whichever you like. It is light enough not to fill people too much before their main course, which is always something you want from starters. What is the point of filling people up so much they don’t want their main course! You won’t have that problem here. The chilled cherry soup recipe is .....
- Chinese Tea Smoked ChickenElegant appetizer recipe ideas are becoming more popular than ever before, as people begin to experiment more in the kitchen. You need to choose an appetizer that will impress your guests with your knowledge of food, and the distinct choice of flavors used to make the dishes. There are many different recipes to choose from, regardless of the occasion, and your budget. Take Chinese tea smoked chicken for example – this is certainly elegant as well as unusual. Presentation and Good Ingredients are Vital If you use a good recipe for your appetizer, you can achieve an exciting, elegant appearance with very basic ingredients. Expensive .....
- How to Cook Fresh MusselsLearn how to cook fresh mussels and you will be able to prepare this delicious seafood whenever you’re in the mood. Mussels can be purchased or you can pick your own, depending of course where you live. If you are collecting your own then ensure the water is unpolluted. Mussels are nicer during the colder months which are not in the breeding season. If you are shopping for them, then shop around and choose ones with tightly closed shells. When cooked, you will want juicy, plump flesh and the taste of the sea. Mussels are white if male and orange if female, so color does not indicate freshness. Knowing how to cook fresh mussels means .....
- Chicken Biryani with DrumsticksThis tasty Indian dish, chicken biryani with drumsticks, offers an incredible flavor and it is not difficult to prepare. I had my first authentic Indian biryani when I was backpacking around India and the flavor really blew me away. This recipe originated in the Indian subcontinent or Persia, and it is enjoyed all over Central and South Asia, as well as in the Middle East. Rice, spices and meat and/or vegetables are the main ingredients. Biryani may be compared to pulao rice but biryani is usually cooked with layered meat and rice and pulao is not layered at all. Chicken biryani with drumsticks is usually a main dish while pulao tends to be .....
- Pork and Beef Crackslaw with Shredded VeggiesThis pork and beef crackslaw recipe is made using a combination of pork and beef. Although you can make crackslaw with any kind of ground meat (including poultry if you wish) I find that combining pork with beef gives a pleasing result. The pork is juicy and the beef has its own distinctive flavor. They just combine well, especially when making something like pork and beef crackslaw. Here in Holland you can’t buy ground pork by itself (at least not in my local store) which is why I use the half and half mixture quite a lot. Yes I could grind my own pork but I haven’t yet done that. I do have a meat grinder attachment on my food .....