Chicken Wonton Soup with Cabbage
This flavorful chicken wonton soup with cabbage also has green onions, sesame oil and more. If you are looking for an alternative to pork wonton soup recipes you might enjoy this one. You can make the filling up to 2 days in advance if you like. This flavorful chicken wonton soup recipe makes a healthy dinner or a warming lunch and you can even enjoy it as a snack in the middle of the morning of afternoon, whenever you aren’t ready for a meal but you want something more substantial than just a cup of coffee, which is not going to fill you up too much but still warm your belly and put a smile on your face.
Chicken wonton soup recipes are every bit as tasty as pork wonton soup, but ground chicken does make a change. This chicken wonton soup with cabbage is really good. Paired with flavorful Napa cabbage or another variety, as well as green onions and ginger, these wontons have an exciting filling which means you will enjoy eating it as well as putting the recipe together.
It is best to use a low-sodium broth for this chicken wonton soup with cabbage recipe, since the recipe also contains soy sauce and that can be quite salty too. It is easy enough to add a little extra seasoning to the soup afterwards but there is not much you can do if it is too salty to begin with. The soft wontons floating in the hot soup give it appeal and texture and anyone you serve this to is sure to love it. Kids like chicken wonton soup as much pork wonton soup too.
- ½ cup (85g) finely chopped Napa or Savoy cabbage
- 1 egg
- 6 oz (170g) ground (minced) chicken
- 1 ½ teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 x 14 ½ oz (400g) cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 6 finely chopped green (spring) onions
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 24 square wonton wrappers, 3 inches (7 ½ cm)
- 3 teaspoons rice vinegar
- Salt, as needed
- Toss the cabbage with half a teaspoon of salt and let it sit for 10 minutes. Wrap the cabbage in a double layer of paper towels and squeeze out the excess liquid.
- Put it in a big bowl with the chicken, ginger, 1 teaspoon of the sesame oil, soy sauce and half the green onions. Mix well, using a fork. You can refrigerate the filling at this point, for up to 2 days.
- Spoon a rounded teaspoon of filling into each wonton wrapper. Fold the wontons over in half to make triangles, wetting the edges so they stick together.
- Make sure there is no air inside the wonton wrappers, just the filling, else they might open in the soup and the filling will leak out. Press down firmly to seal.
- Wet one tip of the triangle and bring both tips together. Press to seal. Put the wontons on an oiled tray and cover them with a damp towel so they stay moist.
- Bring the broth, 4 cups (1 litre) of water and a teaspoon of salt to a boil in a pot and add the wontons one at a time, bringing the soup back to the boil.
- Turn the heat down and simmer the soup for 5 minutes or until the wontons are cooked through.
- Stir in the vinegar, remaining sesame oil and remaining green onions.
- Break the egg and drop it into the soup. Stir with a chopstick for 30 seconds. Season with salt if necessary and serve.
Such a Great Flavor
Chicken wonton soup is easy to make but don’t underestimate the flavor because it really is magnificent. Yes you’ll love this chicken wonton soup with cabbage. If you haven’t made this before, prepare for a real treat because the flavor is so good. You might think this is like the tasty soup you had in the last Chinese restaurant you went to, or perhaps you think it tastes even better, and you probably will because the flavors are just fantastic.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Seafood Soup RecipeThis seafood soup recipe is made from scratch, so you will get all that amazing seafood flavour you love so much. Whether you are using lobster, crab, prawns or a mixture, the flavor is amazing. The better the seafood broth you use in this seafood soup recipe, the better it is going to taste. Whenever you are basing a whole recipe on a broth you need to make sure you use something of quality. It is so important. Great Ingredients Blend Together There are quite a few different ingredients in this seafood soup recipe but use them all and you will be so glad you did. The most important ingredients are the seafood and whatever you use to make .....
- The Secret of Crispy Sweet Potato FriesSweet potato fries are always good and they pair well with many a snack – with sandwiches, burgers, ribs, or even just some ketchup to dip them in! However, many of us have the problem of homemade sweet potato fries being, well, not crispy enough. That’s why you need to know the secret of crispy sweet potato fries. I’ve never had real success with my oven baked sweet potato fries but what I have discovered is a great recipe to get them super-crispy using a deep fryer and I am sharing my recipe with you below. Why Use Sweet Potatoes for Fries The reason I use sweet potato fries is my husband is diabetic and white potatoes .....
- Homemade Easy Wonton Recipes for EveryoneEasy wonton recipes should find a place in your meal, or at least appetizer, rotation. Whether you fancy making wonton soup, crunchy fried wontons, sensational steamed wontons or even healthy baked ones, there are plenty of easy wonton recipes for you to choose from. These feature all your favorite ingredients from chicken to duck or pork, nutritious veggies, exciting herbs and spices, and even fruit or cheese. There are wonton recipes for ever season, occasion and palate, and wontons can make amazing comfort food, a well-deserved snack, or even a complete meal. There are homemade easy wonton recipes for everyone to enjoy. Easy Wonton .....
- All About Easy Wonton RecipesI love discovering new recipes. I also love sharing them, hence the creation of Easy Wonton Recipe, the site where my wonton-related content was before I shifted it over here! Cooking is fun and I especially love cooking for others and seeing their eyes light up as they enjoy my culinary creations. There are plenty of easy wonton recipes for every palate and I often like to try new ones out. A lot of people don’t realize that it is possible to make the most amazing flavored dishes using basic ingredients and good, wholesome, fresh produce. You don’t need to combine thirty ingredients to make a tasty meal and, as long as .....
- Rice Stuffed Zucchini with Veggies and WalnutsThis is a great recipe for stuffed zucchini, or stuffed courgette if that’s what it’s known as in your neck of the woods. You can cut your zucchini in to ‘boats’ or lengthwise strips or into wide slices. Perhaps you can get mini zucchini, or 8-ball zucchini, in which case one of those makes one serving. For the filling we are using rice, vegetables and walnuts, along with some garlic, thyme and cheese for added flavor. Feel free to tweak any of the ingredients in this rice stuffed zucchini . Pecans would work in place of the walnuts, or you could sub parsley, basil or even mixed dried herbs for the thyme. First we are .....
- Authentic Nasi Goreng RecipeNasi goreng means ‘fried rice’ in Indonesian as well as Malay, and it can be fried rice, a meal with stir-fried rice, or a salted dried fish mixture with rice. The main ingredient in an authentic nasi goreng recipe is always the rice, so if you are looking for something to make with leftover rice, keep reading and discover this wonderful Indonesian dish. Authentic Nasi Goreng Recipe Ingredients Known as the national dish of Indonesia, the best nasi goreng recipe is whichever mixture you like, perhaps rice with kecap manis (sweet soy sauce), egg, chicken, shrimp, garlic, and shallot, or perhaps you favor mushrooms and peas, or .....
- Simple Zucchini PancakesThese simple zucchini pancakes make a great breakfast and you can make them in advance, so what is not to love about that? Low in calories and fat (especially if you fry them in cooking spray rather than butter or oil) they can be enjoyed with sausage or bacon, or simply as they are, perhaps with some garlic mushrooms on the side or a broiled tomato. Try these simple zucchini pancakes and you will be surprised how great they are. Different Types of Pancakes Pancakes range from thin and crepe-like to thick and fluffy, and different people prefer them different ways. And yes some even prefer these simple zucchini pancakes. Personally I am more .....
- Easy Wonton Recipes with PorkWontons are great when served as a snack or appetizer and if you have only ever eaten meat ones in a Chinese restaurant or had them from a takeout, you really are in store for a treat when you make your own easy wonton recipes with pork. Any home cook will be able to manage this recipe without too much effort although, like with most dishes, the more you make these, the easier the process will seem to become. Different Cooking Methods for Easy Wonton Recipes with Pork Deep-fry them for crispy, crunchy snacks, or steam or simmer them for a softer result. You could even poach them in your favorite broth for a wonderfully warming lunch or .....
- Starter Recipes Around the GlobeInternational dishes have taken off recently in a big way. It is not unusual at all these days to see international starter recipes on a restaurant menu or to be given them at a dinner party. This obviously applies to main courses and desserts as well as starter recipes. Chicken sate, prawn toast, Asian soup recipes, Greek dips, Spanish tapas and more are popular as well as common these days and many people even prefer international starter recipes over traditional British ones. There are more ingredients available in modern supermarkets than ever before and you can use these ingredients to make exotic recipes and fusion-style snacks. .....
- Traditional English Chicken Pot PiesPot pies make a great meal and, being English, I have tried lots of British pot pie recipes. Although some people claim pot pies are not English, I beg to disagree. English chicken pot pies are not only ‘a thing’ but they are yummy! In the UK if you eat ‘pub grub’ or a simple meal in a pub, you can expect at least one kind of pie on the menu. My own favorite is beef and ale pie, although chicken makes a nice change, either paired with corn or with mushrooms. I like either mashed potatoes or fries with mine, along with baked beans or some kind of vegetable. Although large pies which you can cut into wedges are nice, .....