Cilantro Shrimp Wonton Soup
Some people make wonton soup by dropping their filled wontons into their prepared stock and letting them simmer in there but others prefer to cook the wontons in water and then add them to the soup, so as not to make the soup cloudy. Since you are the cook and the one who is going to be eating the dish, it is totally up to you. You can prepare your cilantro shrimp wonton soup however you prefer.
The first few times I made cilantro shrimp wonton soup I put the wontons directly in the soup mixture and let them cook in there, but then I experimented with cooking them in water and then lifting them into warmed serving bowls using a slotted spoon and ladling the hot soup over the top. Both ways are good, the second perhaps more authentic. You will just need an extra pot.
This cilantro shrimp wonton soup recipe features shrimp (both whole ones to garnish the soup and minced ones inside the wontons) as well as plenty of sesame oil and cilantro. The stock for this shrimp wonton soup recipe is made by infusing ginger, cilantro and more in a basic chicken stock and then sieving out the additions. It is important to serve a tasty stock with your wontons.
- 20 wonton wrappers
- ¾ lb (750g) shrimp
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons chopped ginger
- 1 egg white
- 1 ½ tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro (fresh coriander)
- 1 box chicken stock
- 2 slices ginger root
- 1 garlic clove, sliced in half
- Soy sauce, to taste
- Sesame oil, to taste
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 green onions
- Small bunch of cilantro (fresh coriander)
- First make your broth. Add the bunch of cilantro, 2 of the green onions (cut into thirds), the garlic, ginger, soy sauce, red pepper flakes and sesame oil to a box of chicken broth and let it simmer for 20 minutes on the stove. Strain the stock.
- Pulse half a pound (500g) of the shrimp in a food processor and reserve the remainder. If you don’t have a food processor, finely chop it with a knife. Add the soy sauce, sesame oil, ginger or cilantro to the minced shrimp to make the filling.
- Divide the filling between the wonton wrappers, using about a tablespoon of filling per wrapper. Fold the filled wonton wrappers into triangles, using a water-moistened finger to seal the edges, then fold the pointy sides down and glue them together using a wet finger.
- Drop 6 wontons at a time into boiling water for a few minutes, until they are translucent and flexible. Add the whole reserved shrimp too. They will turn pink when they are done. Carefully remove the wontons and shrimp with a slotted spoon.
- Finely chop the remaining green onion and add that to the soup. Add the wontons and shrimp to the stock to warm them through, then serve. Be careful handling the wontons because they are delicate.
Saving a few of the shrimp to garnish the soup is a great idea. Not only can people identify the flavor of the wontons by seeing the shrimp but it adds a splash of color to this wonderful Chinese dish. Shrimp are often used (with ground pork too) to make traditional wontons, but they are also good mixed with ginger, cilantro and sesame, and used to fill wonton wrappers. Wonton soup is a healthy and satisfying dish, whether you serve it for lunch, dinner or even a late supper, and shrimp is a low-fat and flavorful ingredient to choose for your wonton filling.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Brilliant Bruschetta RecipeA bruschetta recipe is one of the best Italian appetizers. It is made by rubbing garlic over grilled bread, then adding olive oil, tomatoes, salt and pepper. Some types of bruschetta recipe might also include cured meat, cheese, tomatoes, beans, or vegetables. The best-known bruschetta recipe outside Italy features fresh tomato, garlic and onion, fresh basil, and mozzarella. So Many Bruschetta Recipe Options A great bruschetta recipe is found on Italian restaurant menus all over the world, and there are hundreds of different ways to make it, which is why restaurant bruschetta ranges from bland to wonderful, depending who is making it. Make .....
- The Secret of Crispy Sweet Potato FriesSweet potato fries are always good and they pair well with many a snack – with sandwiches, burgers, ribs, or even just some ketchup to dip them in! However, many of us have the problem of homemade sweet potato fries being, well, not crispy enough. That’s why you need to know the secret of crispy sweet potato fries. I’ve never had real success with my oven baked sweet potato fries but what I have discovered is a great recipe to get them super-crispy using a deep fryer and I am sharing my recipe with you below. Why Use Sweet Potatoes for Fries The reason I use sweet potato fries is my husband is diabetic and white potatoes .....
- Chicken Fajitas RecipeHere in this excellent chicken fajitas recipe, we are pairing spiced chicken with delicious veggies, soft tortillas and whichever condiments you want to add. It makes a lovely dinner for any occasion. Although a lot of people assume fajitas are Mexican they are actually Tex-Mex. The word ‘fajita’ refers to barbequed meat which is served on a tortilla. Onions and bell peppers usually feature in these recipes, along with lettuce, sour cream, salsa or pico de gallo, tomato, and/or guacamole. Skirt steak is the original meat used to make a chicken fajitas recipe, and this tough cut of beef which is amazing when slow cooked has soared .....
- Finding the Best Blue Kitchen AccessoriesBlue kitchen accessories have become a popular way to enhance your kitchen and make it look and feel appealing, a room you want to spend more time in. As people have begun to be more adventurous with their color schemes, blue is a popular addition to every kitchen although you do need to ensure that the shade of blue that you use is neither too pale nor too dark. Your kitchen will be a room in which you spend many hours throughout the day so it definitely needs to be inviting and never have a ‘cold’ feel. You can get the perfect balance with blue kitchen accessories rather than having everything blue in that room. Accessorizing .....
- Best Toaster Oven Under $30Buy the best toaster oven for less than $30 and be assured it will be perfect quality. Perhaps you have read some reviews of toaster ovens or maybe you are just thinking about adding one to your kitchen. Non stick cookware toasters review articles are essential to provide you with the information you need to decide if this toaster will suit your needs and budget. Toaster ovens are cheaper to run than large ones, so you can save money if you are just cooking or reheating a small amount of food. They will not overheat your kitchen the way large ovens can either, which is another benefit of the best toaster oven. Some More Hot Content For You .....
- Choosing the Best Refrigerator to BuyA refrigerator is a durable appliance and you should choose something you will be happy with for the long term. It is important to research different refrigerators before picking one for this reason. The best refrigerator to buy depends on various factors. The first thing to think about is how much you can afford to spend, then the style you like and the energy saving requirements you have. A mini refrigerator such as a Fosters Husky mini 50l fridge, or another small one, might be what you need or maybe a large fridge-freezer is better suited to your requirements and one of the best refrigerator to buy to fit your needs. Maybe a camping .....
- Pears with Stilton and Curd Cheese RecipeDoesn’t the name of the recipe get your mouth watering already? Pears with Stilton and curd cheese – yum! Pears are often served with cheese because the flavors are so good together and in this recipe, both Stilton cheese and curd cheese are used. The yogurt and nutmeg add color, texture and flavor, and this is one of the best vegetarian starter recipes. What is Stilton Like? Stilton is an acquired taste to some people, especially if they are usually only found eating cheddar and the like, but it really is good. Stilton is a British blue cheese and it offers a lovely creaminess and slight salty taste. It’s particularly good .....
- Thirst Quenching Watermelon SmoothieSmoothie recipes are always good. Whether you make one as a speedy breakfast, as a drink/snack or anytime you are thirsty but want something thick and satisfying, a smoothie recipe always comes to the rescue and there are certainly plenty to choose from. I love this watermelon smoothie recipe among others. You can blend fruit with yogurt to make a watermelon smoothie recipe, or use cream, milk or fruit juice. You can also add ice cubes to the blender (not all blenders, but the good ones!) and make your smoothie refreshingly icy cold. Watermelon Smoothie Recipe: Just 3 Simple Ingredients This watermelon smoothie recipe features watermelon, .....
- Classic Crackslaw RecipePerhaps you have read about the classic crackslaw recipe on a low carb forum or one of your friends has been raving about it but what is crack slaw and why is it called that? Well, first things first, crackslaw is supposed to be addictive, which is how the name came about, but don’t worry, there is nothing illegal in it! It is addictive in a good way because it is a filling low-carb meal packed with nutritious ingredients. What’s In a Classic Crackslaw Recipe? This is an oriental inspired recipe featuring ground meat (or poultry or a vegetarian alternative) as well as cabbage or coleslaw mix (cabbage and carrot, usually). The .....
- Microwave Beef Stew Belgian StyleThis microwave beef stew Belgian style is one of the best stew recipes I have tried. Living so close to the Belgian border we can simply go over any time we crave this full-flavored stew and satisfy our cravings, but it is just as easy to make yourself at home, so read on and discover how the Belgians make a tasty beef stew. The following recipe shows you how to make this dish in the microwave which is perfect if you do not want to stand over the stove, stirring, or use a crockpot. The end flavor is just the same as the slow-cooked version but it is much faster. Microwave Beef Stew Belgian Style: What Kind of Beef to Use The recipe features .....