Wonton Soup Recipes
There are hundreds of different wonton soup recipes to choose from and you can even make your own variations by switching one kind of meat for another, using different vegetables or even using a different kind of stock or broth for the wonton soup.
The word “wonton” literally means “swallowing a cloud” and that is what the floating wontons are meant to resemble in the soup. You can serve wonton soup recipes for lunch or dinner, or serve small portions as an appetizer.
One of the more unusual wonton soup recipes is duck wonton soup and the following recipe shows you how to make this delicious dish. You can make this duck wontons recipe up to 6 hours ahead, if you keep them covered in the refrigerator. You can freeze the soup stock if you like.
Feel free to change the ingredients. This recipe calls for garlic chives and Chinese broccoli, ingredients which not every home cook will be able to locate nearby. The main ingredients are the wonton soup stock and the wontons themselves, so just use whatever you have.
- 1 lb (500g) Chinese barbecued duck
- 1 sliced green onion
- 1 halved fresh red chili
- 30 dumpling wrappers
- 1 chopped onion
- ⅛ teaspoon five-spice powder
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic chives
- 12 cups (3 litres) water
- ½ lb (250g) chopped Chinese broccoli
- ½ lb (250g) chopped Chinese cabbage leaves
- 1 lightly beaten egg white
- 2 inch (5cm) sliced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 2 star anise
- 4 tablespoons dried shiitake mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Take the duck meat off the bones and cut off the fat. Chop the meat finely. Discard the fat and half the skin.
- Combine duck bones, reserved skin, onion, water, ginger, star anise and chili in a large pot. Bring the mixture to a boil, then simmer covered for an hour.
- Put the mushrooms in a heatproof bowl. Cover them with boiling water and stand for 20 minutes. Drain off the water.
- Meanwhile combine the duck meat with the green onion and hoisin sauce in a bowl. Place a rounded teaspoon of this mixture in the center of each dumpling wrapper. Brush the edge with egg white, gather the edges together and finally twist to seal.
- Strain the duck stock into a clean pot and skim the fat off the surface. Add the prepared mushrooms to the stock with the cabbage, broccoli, five-spice and soy sauce.
- Add the wontons to the soup in batches. Simmer uncovered for about 2 minutes or until hot. Add the garlic chives and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide the wontons between 6 serving bowls, and then pour the soup over them. This is one of the best wonton soup recipes if you want to seriously impress your dinner guests and, of course, if you are partial to delicious duck recipes. There are other wonton soup recipes you can look at too.
You can see how colorful the garlic chives look in this duck wonton soup recipe, but use regular chives if you want to, or even sliced green onions. This duck wonton soup might require a little more work than some other wonton soup recipes, but it is worth it if you’re cooking for a special occasion or you want to treat yourself to something extra-special. Try this as one of your wonton soup recipes and you’ll soon make it a favorite. The duck is complemented with 5-spice, ginger, anise, and more, and the flavor of these wontons is amazing. If you like the flavor and texture of duck, you are sure to enjoy this recipe for duck wonton soup.