Wonton Soup Recipes
There are hundreds of different wonton soup recipes to choose from and you can even make your own variations by switching one kind of meat for another, using different vegetables or even using a different kind of stock or broth for the wonton soup.
The word “wonton” literally means “swallowing a cloud” and that is what the floating wontons are meant to resemble in the soup. You can serve wonton soup recipes for lunch or dinner, or serve small portions as an appetizer.
One of the more unusual wonton soup recipes is duck wonton soup and the following recipe shows you how to make this delicious dish. You can make this duck wontons recipe up to 6 hours ahead, if you keep them covered in the refrigerator. You can freeze the soup stock if you like.
Feel free to change the ingredients. This recipe calls for garlic chives and Chinese broccoli, ingredients which not every home cook will be able to locate nearby. The main ingredients are the wonton soup stock and the wontons themselves, so just use whatever you have.
- 1 lb (500g) Chinese barbecued duck
- 1 sliced green onion
- 1 halved fresh red chili
- 30 dumpling wrappers
- 1 chopped onion
- ⅛ teaspoon five-spice powder
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic chives
- 12 cups (3 litres) water
- ½ lb (250g) chopped Chinese broccoli
- ½ lb (250g) chopped Chinese cabbage leaves
- 1 lightly beaten egg white
- 2 inch (5cm) sliced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 2 star anise
- 4 tablespoons dried shiitake mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Take the duck meat off the bones and cut off the fat. Chop the meat finely. Discard the fat and half the skin.
- Combine duck bones, reserved skin, onion, water, ginger, star anise and chili in a large pot. Bring the mixture to a boil, then simmer covered for an hour.
- Put the mushrooms in a heatproof bowl. Cover them with boiling water and stand for 20 minutes. Drain off the water.
- Meanwhile combine the duck meat with the green onion and hoisin sauce in a bowl. Place a rounded teaspoon of this mixture in the center of each dumpling wrapper. Brush the edge with egg white, gather the edges together and finally twist to seal.
- Strain the duck stock into a clean pot and skim the fat off the surface. Add the prepared mushrooms to the stock with the cabbage, broccoli, five-spice and soy sauce.
- Add the wontons to the soup in batches. Simmer uncovered for about 2 minutes or until hot. Add the garlic chives and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide the wontons between 6 serving bowls, and then pour the soup over them. This is one of the best wonton soup recipes if you want to seriously impress your dinner guests and, of course, if you are partial to delicious duck recipes. There are other wonton soup recipes you can look at too.
You can see how colorful the garlic chives look in this duck wonton soup recipe, but use regular chives if you want to, or even sliced green onions. This duck wonton soup might require a little more work than some other wonton soup recipes, but it is worth it if you’re cooking for a special occasion or you want to treat yourself to something extra-special. Try this as one of your wonton soup recipes and you’ll soon make it a favorite. The duck is complemented with 5-spice, ginger, anise, and more, and the flavor of these wontons is amazing. If you like the flavor and texture of duck, you are sure to enjoy this recipe for duck wonton soup.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Luxurious Irish Cream ShakeThis Irish cream shake is so good and it is really quick to make too. Brew some strong coffee and let it cool down, then put it in the blender with Bailey’s, ice cream and coconut milk to make this thick, creamy shake. Ideal for St Patrick’s Day or just whenever you want to spoil yourself with a wonderful treat, this Irish cream shake always goes down well, and the flavor is amazing. This Irish cream shake recipe serves 2 people but it is easy enough to double or triple the recipe if you are serving more. If you want, you may top the shake with whipped cream and chocolate curls for a nice presentation, else you can serve smaller .....
- How to Griddle Chicken BreastThe griddle is a fantastic tool which I often use in the kitchen for cooking not only chicken but steak, fish and vegetables too. You need less fat than if you were to shallow fry or saute, and can expect attractive griddle marks, either lines or crisscross, depending how you turn the chicken while it is cooking. Learning how to griddle chicken breast is so easy and worthwhile. A nice cast iron griddle pan is a worthwhile investment, and since you can cook all kinds of meat, poultry, seafood, vegetables, and even some kinds of cheese (like halloumi) in there, you will find yourself using it frequently. Griddled Chicken Breast Uses One of the .....
- Creamy Blue Cheese DipThis creamy blue cheese dip blends blue cheese with cream, mayonnaise and milk, with some lemon to add brightness and garlic to complement the flavor. Serve this with chips or vegetable crudites, or consider it as a side for your next buffalo chicken recipe, since the creaminess is the perfect contrast for the heat of the hot sauce. Creamy Blue Cheese Dip is So Easy to Make Making this creamy blue cheese dip is really easy blue cheese dipping sauce is simply a question of adding the ingredients to the food processor and pressing the button. Give it a few seconds and your dip will be ready to serve. If you don’t have a food processor .....
- Tasty Tuna Fishcake RecipeIf you are looking for an easy tuna fishcake recipe, this one is simple to make and very tasty. The sweet potatoes add a Caribbean flavor and the canned tuna works very well in this fishcake recipe. For fish cakes tuna is always a good choice because it is tasty. Canned tuna is better than fresh tuna for fish cake recipes because it is more moist. Fresh or Canned Fish for a Tuna Fishcake Recipe? Salmon is often used to make fishcakes, both the fresh kind and the canned kind, but tuna is also popular. When making fishcakes it is usually better to use either leftover cooked fish (if it needs to be used up) or canned fish. Save the fresh filets .....
- Chinese Calamari Szechuan StyleMany people enjoy Chinese recipes at least once a week, as the meals are simple to prepare and cook, making them quick and easy for everyone. Chinese appetizers can be enjoyed before a traditional Chinese meal, and many people enjoy this style before their normal main dish, Chinese or not. You might want to try this Chinese calamari Szechuan recipe and see how you find the spice and flavor. There are various authentic flavors from China which you will already be familiar with, and you can get many Chinese ingredients from the regular grocery store, although an Asian grocery store is your best bet if you want to stock up on such ingredients. .....
- iPad Mini – All You Need to KnowThe iPad Mini is causing a huge amount of attention, with people wanting to see what the next offering from Apple will bring for the dedicated fans. Everyone wants to buy a cheap iPad mini, or at least find out more about this new and exciting product. iPad vs. Mini iPad The traditional iPad has proven to be incredibly popular; however, there are some quirks that people do not like. Both the size and the price of the traditional iPad put a huge number of people off purchasing this unique gadget. However, the launch of the new mini iPad ensures that both of these issues are addressed. The new iPad mini was launched in November 2012 and offers .....
- Renovate Your Bathroom Like a ProBathrooms are an area that can be entirely different to every other style that you have applied throughout your home. Learn how to renovate your bathroom like a pro and you can come up with something unique and perfect for the small (or not so small) space you have in there. There is a huge amount of different decorating ideas, which will suit your taste, style and budget. Regardless of how much money you have to spend on the decorating, you will find that there are some fantastic ideas. Take your time when deciding what kind of style you want to go for and figuring out how to renovate your bathroom, because just because somethings looks .....
- Steamed Vegetable WontonsSteaming wontons is one of the very best ways to cook them because you do not have to cook them in oil or fat, and steaming them means the wonton wrapper will be lovely and soft. Steamed vegetable wontons can be added to wonton soup or served as they are, with a flavorful dipping sauce, as an appetizer, snack or side dish. The following recipe for steamed vegetable wontons shows you how to make a tasty wonton filling with various veggies, as well as some soy sauce for a simple yet mouthwatering flavor. The vegetables are cooked briefly with the soy sauce, then this mixture goes into the wonton skins and the wontons are steamed until they are .....
- Healthy Easy Shrimp Salad RecipeShrimp is a great addition to salad recipes. It offers a subtle, light flavor and goes well with many other salad ingredients. A base of salad leaves or spinach can be topped with hot, warm or chilled cooked shrimp along with other things like pineapple chunks or mandarin segments for sweetness, walnuts or cashews for crunch, cherry tomatoes for color and anything else you want to add to your healthy easy shrimp salad recipe. You can cook shrimp in various ways, such as deep-frying, stir-frying, boiling, baking or grilling. If you want to pan-fry the shrimp, they will only take a couple of minutes, as will boiling or grilling, although if .....
- Different Kitchen Styles ExplainedNo matter how much space you have available or what budget, it is possible to create the kitchen of your dreams. Take a look at different kitchen styles and see which you resonate most with. These are some of the most popular kitchen styles which you can recreate: Contemporary For a great contemporary kitchen, rich wood finishes, high tech appliances and luxury gloss is the look you need to aim for. Floor to ceiling cupboards give you plenty of storage space, leaving the worktops uncluttered and wraparound surfaces that link the sink, worktop and splashback look great too. Transitional A transitional kitchen will have elements of .....