Anchovy and Melon Salad Recipe
This is a simple and easy recipe which tastes very good. The citrus and melon flavors go perfectly with the fish while the watercress sprigs make a pretty garnish. If you are low on time, why not have a go at this easy anchovy and melon salad recipe?
Aromatic Healthy Melon
Melon is so nice to use in a salad because it has a unique and very refreshing flavour. This simple melon salad is one of our more interesting starter recipes and it is especially nice to serve in the summer when you are looking for something refreshing.
Tasty Little Anchovies
Anchovies are usually associated with pizza toppings or sometimes served as they are, tapas-style, which is of course very popular in Spain.
Don’t underestimate the appeal of these little fish though, because their saltiness makes them fun to add to recipes, whether you want to make the recipe more fishy and/or salty, or add some contrast to it by adding something as unusual as this.
- 50g (1¾ oz) canned anchovy filets
- Juice of a lemon
- Juice of an orange
- 1 melon
- Watercress sprigs, for garnish
- Check the melon is ripe by pressing the stalk end gently and seeing if it gives a bit.
- Also, a ripe melon will smell.
- Halve the melon and discard the seeds.
- Using a melon baller, scoop the flesh into a serving dish.
- If you don't have a melon baller, you can cut the flesh into small cubes.
- Drain the anchovies, keeping a tablespoon of the oil.
- Cut the anchovies into slivers and add to the melon.
- Combine the fruit juices with the reserved anchovy oil and pour over the salad.
- Chill for an hour then serve garnished with the watercress sprigs.
This is an unusual recipe and you can make it exactly as the recipe says or change it to suit your palate better. Anchovies are underrated, often seen as fit only to top a pizza, but they are fantastic in salads and you can make a really unusual recipe using them, such as this one. Although the recipe just calls for anchovy, melon and citrus juice, many people like to serve the salad on a bed of mixed greens, and you can also add grapes, cherry tomatoes and any other colourful ingredients you want to use to make it special and unique.
Image courtesy of Larry Halff, on Flickr.com