Hot Herring Starter Recipe with Mustard Sauce
Mustard and white wine sauce goes beautifully with many types of fish and herring is no exception. The following recipe combines potatoes, herring, onion and mustard sauce for a full flavoured starter recipe. The herring is flavoured with lemon juice and grilled, the potatoes are boiled and the onion is served raw, to make a crunchy and piquant garnish.
How to Serve It
This fish starter recipe is suitable for a buffet table or a dinner party. Just serve it with a big serving spoon and let people help themselves. You can serve extra mustard sauce on the side if you like, as well as underneath the potato layer.
If you don’t have any white wine, you could use white vinegar instead. The end flavour will be similar. Also, you can use Dijon mustard if you want to. English mustard is full-bodied and very hot and you might prefer the subtle flavour of Dijon mustard instead, for making the mustard sauce.
This is one of the best tasting fish starters and it is simple to make too. The potato, herring and mustard sauce are the main ingredients and the rest provides the garnish and adds some colour to the dish. The white onion goes especially well with both the fish and the potato and it looks nice as a garnish.
- 4 herrings, split and de-boned
- 1 lemon
- 470ml (1 pint) hot milk
- 50g (1.75 oz) flour
- 50g (1.75 oz) butter
- 1 teaspoon English mustard
- 1 tablespoon white wine
- 2 medium potatoes
- 2 thick slices wholemeal bread, cubed
- ½ white onion
- 1 gherkin (green pickle), to garnish
- 2 sprigs fresh parsley, to garnish
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- Cut 2 thin slices out of the middle of the lemon and reserve them for the garnish.
- Sprinkle the juice from the remaining lemon over the herrings.
- Sprinkle some salt and black pepper over them.
- Peel and slice the potatoes and boil them until tender.
- Preheat the grill and cook the fish until it is tender.
- This will take about 8 minutes per side.
- Cut the cooked herrings into 1 inch (3 cm) pieces.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and whisk in the flour.
- Keep cooking and whisking for 2 minutes, then take the mixture off the heat and stir in the hot milk.
- Add the mustard, wine and a little salt to taste.
- Put the sauce back in the pan and bring it to the boil.
- Turn the heat down and let it simmer for a minute or until the mustard sauce is thick.
- Pour the sauce on to a serving dish and arrange the potato slices on top.
- Arrange the herring slices over the potatoes.
- Peel the onion and slice it thinly, separating the slices into rings.
- Garnish the potato and herring starter with the onion rings, bread cubes, lemon slices, gherkin and the sprigs of fresh parsley.
- Serve immediately.
This is one of our fancy starter recipes and you can see how quite a basic starter recipe is livened up by the addition of lemon slices, parsley, bread cubes and a gherkin. Herring is a very popular fish and warm herring served with warm potatoes and a delicious mustard sauce makes a really good starter recipe. There are various ways to prepare herring and smoked herring recipes are popular, as are pickled herring recipes. The grilled, lemon juice-infused herring used in this easy fish starter recipe has a wonderful texture and flavour.