Amazing Quinoa Burger Recipe
These delicious vegetarian burgers are made with quinoa and beans, ensuring they are hearty and appealing to vegetarians and carnivores alike. Quinoa, pronounced keen-wah, is a tasty grain available in health food stores and, these days, most food markets too. It is great for making everything from side dishes to this delicious quinoa burger recipe.
Quinoa is actually a pseudocereal, not a true cereal, since it is not in the grass family. Quinoa is closely related to spinach and beetroot.
It is high in protein and can be used to make appetizers, entrees, risotto-type dishes, and even burgers. If you have never cooked with this grain, grab some the next time you go to the store and make this wonderful quinoa burger recipe. You will then want to find more uses for quinoa because it is tasty, filling and really versatile.
One of the Tastiest Vegetarian Burger Recipes
Quinoa works particularly well in burgers and is a great solution if you want a meat-free burger, something new and different, or simply a vegetarian change from the standard bean burger options.
The following quinoa burger recipe teams the quinoa with black beans, egg and breadcrumbs for a nice texture, along with bell pepper, garlic and onion for added flavor and fiber, and cumin and hot sauce for a spicy touch. If you want to make any substitutions like switching the black beans for corn or the bell pepper for jalapenos, or leaving out the garlic or cumin, go ahead and make these tasty patties your own.
When they are done, add them to burger buns along with sliced tomato, red onion and lettuce. Add some ketchup or mayonnaise and serve warm. Everyone will love the flavor of these fantastic homemade burgers.
- ½ cup (60 ml) water
- 15 oz (430g) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup (40g) quinoa
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1½ teaspoons ground cumin
- Breadcrumbs made from 2 slices of bread
- ½ minced yellow bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 burger buns, to serve, plus lettuce, tomato slices, mayonnaise etc
- Put the water and quinoa in a pan and bring it to a boil.
- Turn the heat down then cover and simmer until the quinoa is tender and has absorbed the water.
- This will take roughly 18 minutes.
- Mash the beans roughly and leave some whole.
- Combine the cooked quinoa with the black beans, breadcrumbs, onion, garlic, salt, hot sauce, egg, cumin, and pepper, using your hands.
- Shape the mixture into 5 patties.
- Heat the oil in a skillet then cook the patties 2 minutes per side or until cooked.
- Serve on buns with lettuce, tomato and any other condiments you want.