Authentic Spanish Omelet Recipe
Spanish omelet, or tortilla espanola as it is also known, is a combination of potatoes and eggs, giving you not only a ton of flavor, but also a protein and energy boost. You can eat a Spanish omelet recipe hot, chilled or at room temperature.
I Love This Spanish Omelet Recipe!
When I lived in the Canaries and mainland Spain, a Spanish omelet recipe was one of my favorite tapas, and sometimes I would indulge in a Spanish omelet sandwich in crusty bread with aioli (garlic mayonnaise) and a touch of ketchup too. Oh – and a slice of cheese. Now that was a real treat!
The main ingredients you need to make tortilla espanola are eggs and potatoes. Onion is optional but that lovely crunch and bite of flavor it offers are great, so I would strongly suggest using onion in this dish, as well as perhaps some salt and black pepper.
Learning how to make Spanish omelet is incredibly easy. If you can slice potatoes and beat eggs, you are halfway there!
Use Idaho potatoes or another firm variety in this recipe. Creamier ones might fall apart. They are great for mashing but not for serving boiled, in salads, or in recipes where you need them to hold their shape, like this one. Peeling them is not compulsory but most home cooks prefer to peel them. If you aren’t going to though, make sure you scrub them well.
More Suggestions for our Spanish Omelet Recipe
You will need another egg or 2 if you are using big potatoes instead of smaller ones. The onion is also optional but if this is your first Spanish omelet, use it, because it is so good in this dish. Serve the finished potato omelet with a salad on the side or even some steamed asparagus if you prefer.
If you are having it tapas-style then consider serving it as part of a Mediterranean tapas platter along with cheese, salami and cherry tomatoes. It is quite filling so a small slice will be sufficient if there are other items on the platter, or if you still have a main dish to come. Spanish omelet is also nice for a box lunch. Just wrap a slice tightly in aluminum foil and it will stay nice and fresh.
- 5 peeled, thinly sliced, medium Idaho potatoes
- 7 eggs
- 1 finely chopped small yellow onion
- Olive oil, as needed
- Salt, to taste
- Heat a splash of oil in a pan over a low to moderate heat.
- Add the potatoes and cook them, covered, for 10 minutes, or until they are tender.
- Do not let them get crispy.
- Meanwhile, heat ¼ cup of olive oil in another pan and saute the onions in there until the are translucent.
- This should take about 5 minutes.
- Strain the potatoes and onions into a bowl, draining off as much oil as you can.
- Keep the oil if you want, to use in another dish.
- Crack the eggs into a bowl and whisk them, then stir in the potatoes and onion.
- Grind in some salt.
- Heat a couple of tablespoons of oil in a skillet over a moderate heat.
- Add the omelet mixture and turn the heat to medium-low.
- Cook the omelet until the eggs are set, then lift a corner with a spatula to see if the bottom of the omelet is golden.
- This will take about 8 minutes.
- Put a plate over the top of the pan and flip the tortilla over.
- Return the pan to the heat (you might need some more oil) and put the tortilla back in, so you can cook the other side for about 5 minutes.
- Flip the finished omelet on to the plate, then you can slice it up for serving.
Some More Hot Content For You
- What is a Yeast InfectionSo, what is a yeast infection? A lot of people ask that every day. A yeast infection is an incredibly common medical condition that can affect people of all ages, gender and background. This problem occurs when the yeast within your body begins to multiply far too quickly and spreads throughout your body. Thrush is classified as a yeast infection, however, this form of infection is commonly found in the mouth. The Candida yeast will colonize the mouth, which creates the painful lesions and creamy discharge that you will experience. You will find that the thick coating resembles cottage cheese, and will affect your tongue and roof of your .....
- Greek Lamb Pasta Bake with FetaThis Greek lamb pasta bake with feta is a delicious dish, pairing pasta with ground lamb, feta cheese and other Greek flavors. It is similar to pastitsio, Greece’s answer to lasagna, and you will find it really delicious and warming. Serve this Greek lamb pasta bake with feta with a simple salad on the side and a balsamic and extra-virgin olive oil dressing, or else just enjoy it by itself. If you’re into carbs, a slice of lightly toasted baguette bread would go well with this Greek lamb pasta bake with feta too. There are so many pasta bake recipes to choose from, and the great thing about such a dish is you can use pretty much .....
- Understanding Yeast Infection SymptomsYeast is present throughout your body at all times, and only becomes an issue when it begins to rapidly grow and you start to notice yeast infection symptoms. This fungus is something that everyone should be aware of, and understand the symptoms behind the infection. Once you understand the different symptoms, you can discover the solutions to this uncomfortable problem. Discovering the Different Forms You may be surprised to discover that vaginal yeast infections do vary and that there may only be a few similarities. This can make identifying yeast infection symptoms a little trickier. Each form of infection will need to be treated in a .....
- Oak Kitchen Cabinet PaintingOak cabinets are beautiful but they can be tricky to paint because of the way the grain is in the wood. Oak tends to have a heavy grain and when you paint over the grain it tends to show through, even if you apply more than one coat of paint. This is what makes oak kitchen cabinet painting trickier than you might at first think. You need to even out the wood grain surface before you begin oak kitchen cabinet painting and this means you should apply wood grain filler before paint. Wood grain filler smooths the cabinets and fills in between the grains, giving a nice finish. Of course you must let your coat of wood grain filler dry properly .....
- Very Easy Starter RecipesThere are easy starter recipes, or appetizers, for every season and occasion – something for every palate and every diet. So what are you going to make for your starter recipe? You might already be considering meat, fish, international appetizers or something else, or you might just be looking for some ideas and inspiration. There are lots of different easy starter recipes which are suitable for everyone from beginner cooks right up to seasoned chefs. If you want some tips on making the best easy starter recipes for any event, have a look at our articles or if you already have some idea of what you want to make you can browse our .....
- Stovetop Shepherd’s PieIf you are in the mood for shepherd’s pie and wondering whether it can be made if you don’t have an oven, the answer is yes, you will be pleased to hear. Try this stovetop shepherd’s pie for dinner. The kids will love it and so will you! Shepherd’s pie is like cottage pie but made with lamb (hence the shepherd reference) rather than beef. This is something which appeals to kids and adults alike, because everyone loves the harmony you get when combining the juicy meat mixture with the wonderful potato topping. Some home cooks will make their stovetop shepherd’s pie recipe quite basic, topping a gently flavored .....
- 4 Budget Hotels in the South of Gran CanariaThere are plenty of great hotels to choose from in Gran Canaria’s sunny south, so if you are in the mood to soak up some sun in Playa del Ingles or Puerto Rico, consider the following budget hotels in Gran Canaria and see which you fancy. Finding your own flights and booking a hotel separately, instead of booking a package, means you get more control over dates and times, as well as how you fly and where you stay. No wonder many people like to book their own flights and accommodation, so they can create the tailor-made holiday of their dreams......
- iPhone Airbags – Fact or Fallacy?Have you heard about these useful little things which attach to the cell and open out in the case of a fall? Although iPhone airbags are still a concept rather than a reality, if these can be concealed and not add bulk to the handset this could well become a reality soon. One drop on a hard floor can crack your screen or break it altogether, so this concept might not be as far-out as it sounds when you consider it like that. Now are iPhone airbags making a little more sense? This continues to be one of the most popular cells on the market, and with the latest apps and accessories, it is no surprise that it remains one of the market leaders. .....
- Herring, Potato and Dill Salad RecipeFish and potatoes have been served together for centuries and dill complements both of them. Sour cream, mayonnaise and gherkins finish off this delicious fish starter recipe perfectly. This herring, potato and dill salad recipe is easy to make and suits any occasion. Simple But a Nice Balance There are not many ingredients in this tasty herring recipe and that is because they would be unnecessary. This is a perfectly balanced dish and one of our more interesting starter recipes. Herrings are delicious and if you want ideas for fish starters, this is well worth considering......
- Best Gourmet Food Gift BasketsIf you aren’t sure what to give as a gift, then a gourmet food gift basket is a wonderful idea. Giving the gift of food never gets old. Everyone loves to eat and there are gift baskets for every budget and taste. Choose from the best gourmet food gift baskets to find the perfect one for the occasion. You can get themed gift baskets, perhaps with a range of delicious cheeses and some crackers, or you might prefer something offering nuts, cookies, preserves, wine and more, so there is definitely something for everyone in there. Best Gourmet Food Gift Baskets: Some Ideas Give a gift hamper to a family, couple or individual and personalize .....