Authentic Spanish Omelet Recipe
Spanish omelet, or tortilla espanola as it is also known, is a combination of potatoes and eggs, giving you not only a ton of flavor, but also a protein and energy boost. You can eat a Spanish omelet recipe hot, chilled or at room temperature.
I Love This Spanish Omelet Recipe!
When I lived in the Canaries and mainland Spain, a Spanish omelet recipe was one of my favorite tapas, and sometimes I would indulge in a Spanish omelet sandwich in crusty bread with aioli (garlic mayonnaise) and a touch of ketchup too. Oh – and a slice of cheese. Now that was a real treat!
The main ingredients you need to make tortilla espanola are eggs and potatoes. Onion is optional but that lovely crunch and bite of flavor it offers are great, so I would strongly suggest using onion in this dish, as well as perhaps some salt and black pepper.
Learning how to make Spanish omelet is incredibly easy. If you can slice potatoes and beat eggs, you are halfway there!
Use Idaho potatoes or another firm variety in this recipe. Creamier ones might fall apart. They are great for mashing but not for serving boiled, in salads, or in recipes where you need them to hold their shape, like this one. Peeling them is not compulsory but most home cooks prefer to peel them. If you aren’t going to though, make sure you scrub them well.
More Suggestions for our Spanish Omelet Recipe
You will need another egg or 2 if you are using big potatoes instead of smaller ones. The onion is also optional but if this is your first Spanish omelet, use it, because it is so good in this dish. Serve the finished potato omelet with a salad on the side or even some steamed asparagus if you prefer.
If you are having it tapas-style then consider serving it as part of a Mediterranean tapas platter along with cheese, salami and cherry tomatoes. It is quite filling so a small slice will be sufficient if there are other items on the platter, or if you still have a main dish to come. Spanish omelet is also nice for a box lunch. Just wrap a slice tightly in aluminum foil and it will stay nice and fresh.
- 5 peeled, thinly sliced, medium Idaho potatoes
- 7 eggs
- 1 finely chopped small yellow onion
- Olive oil, as needed
- Salt, to taste
- Heat a splash of oil in a pan over a low to moderate heat.
- Add the potatoes and cook them, covered, for 10 minutes, or until they are tender.
- Do not let them get crispy.
- Meanwhile, heat ¼ cup of olive oil in another pan and saute the onions in there until the are translucent.
- This should take about 5 minutes.
- Strain the potatoes and onions into a bowl, draining off as much oil as you can.
- Keep the oil if you want, to use in another dish.
- Crack the eggs into a bowl and whisk them, then stir in the potatoes and onion.
- Grind in some salt.
- Heat a couple of tablespoons of oil in a skillet over a moderate heat.
- Add the omelet mixture and turn the heat to medium-low.
- Cook the omelet until the eggs are set, then lift a corner with a spatula to see if the bottom of the omelet is golden.
- This will take about 8 minutes.
- Put a plate over the top of the pan and flip the tortilla over.
- Return the pan to the heat (you might need some more oil) and put the tortilla back in, so you can cook the other side for about 5 minutes.
- Flip the finished omelet on to the plate, then you can slice it up for serving.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Easy Potato and Cherry Tomato FrittataThis healthy, colorful recipe is rich in vitamins and minerals, and it makes a delicious meal, whether you have it for breakfast or brunch, lunch or dinner. A frittata is an Italian egg-based dish, a bit like a crustless quiche or omelet. I love this potato and cherry tomato frittata because of the combination of flavors and textures. Frittata comes from ‘friggere’ – the Italian word for ‘fried’ – and such a dish can include cheese, vegetables, pasta, eggs, or anything else you like. This term used to refer to eggs cooked in a skillet, whether you are making an omelet, fried egg or even tortilla de patatas .....
- Baked Chicken Wings with Paprika and CayenneThese baked chicken wings are so good. If you are in the mood for chicken wings but you don’t want to fry them, try this recipe instead because they come out just as crispy as fried wings but are healthier because they aren’t going to be submerged in fat. A Flavorful Coating for Baked Chicken Wings The coating is made with flour, paprika, garlic salt, pepper and cayenne, and the wings are cooked in a little butter to crisp them up and stop them sticking to the baking dish. Swap the cayenne pepper for Hungarian paprika if you want, or the garlic salt for regular salt and a pinch of garlic powder, and the flavor of our baked .....
- Easy Hummus Recipe with Peanut ButterUsing peanut butter instead of tahini is a great idea if you want a great-tasting and easy hummus recipe which boasts plenty of nutrition from the peanut butter. Our easy hummus recipe with peanut butter will appeal to everyone, old or young, because it is creamy and flavorful. This hummus recipe without tahini is very simple to make and you can serve it as a dip, perhaps with celery or pita bread, or use it as a spread in sandwiches, pairing it with chicken and cucumber or salad leaves and sliced boiled egg. How to Make Hummus Without Tahini You will need a food processor or blender to combine the ingredients for this hummus, then you can .....
- How to Make Mapo TofuMapo tofu, which is sometimes written mapo doufu, is a delicious Chinese recipe from the Sichuan province in China. It is comprised of tofu in a reddish, spicy bean and chili based sauce. The tofu is usually cooked with ground meat, either beef or pork, along with fermented beans. There are variations of course, and everyone has their own way of making it. Discover how to make mapo tofu and you will fall in love with this dish! Why is Mapo Tofu Called That? So how did mapo tofu get its name? Well the ‘ma’ refers to ‘mazi’ which is pockmarks, and the ‘pa’ refers to ‘popo’ meaning old woman or .....
- Watermelon Radish Recipes Cooked and RawWhat is a watermelon radish, you might be wondering. It could be you have spotted watermelon radishes at your local market and you are curious what to do with such a vegetable. What kind of watermelon radish recipes are there? Maybe you are looking for a good watermelon recipe. Well I purchased some of these at my local market, and I have been experimenting! First of all, what is a watermelon radish anyway? Well, this vegetable is an edible globular root with green leaves and thin stems. The outside is whitish and the flesh is bright pink. It is tender-crisp and firm in texture. It tastes mild and a little peppery. You might taste some .....
- How to Make Satay Sauce in 2 Minutes Using 3 IngredientsYou only need 3 ingredients to make the best satay sauce recipe. It is so easy! Learn how to make satay sauce and you will want to make this often. Satay sauce can be served with chicken or beef kabobs or fries, or you can serve this easy peanut sauce recipe as a dip for pretty much anything. If you’re making some kind of fried rice dish like egg fried rice or nasi goreng, microwave this for 45 seconds or until hot then let it cool for a minute (so it thickens back up) and it will be an amazing accompaniment. How to Make It Like a Pro When you know how to make satay sauce, you will want to perfect this skill. The key to making it is to .....
- Best Ceramic Butter DishesThere are many additions that you can add to your tableware which will enhance your dining experience, including ceramic butter dishes. A ceramic butter dish is a traditional way of storing your butter, which will ensure that it remains in excellent condition. Blue Bird Ceramic Butter Dish, on Amazon Butter is a perfect accompaniment to many different dishes so it is common to have it on the table while eating. This is why investing in ceramic butter dishes is a great idea so you can present the butter in something attractive rather than just in the package or on a saucer. Serving butter at the correct temperature is an art form, and you may .....
- Chunky Vegetable Stew with Potato RostiNothing beats a stew on a chilly day, and even if you do not eat meat or chicken, you can still make the most wonderful flavored chunky vegetable stew with potato rosti. This dish is made with vegetables instead of meat so it is also nutritious. The onion and garlic are fried first, just to turn them golden brown and bring out their wonderful aromas, then all the other ingredients go into the pot and the stew really starts to take shape. The seasonings for the chunky vegetable stew with potato rosti are cumin and orange juice, and then of course you have the garlic taste. This might not sound like much but don’t forget how great the .....
- Kitchen Gadgets Every Home Cook Should HaveMost people already have basic kitchen appliances such as toasters and kettles but these items do break! That’s why it’s good that you can pick up replacement kitchen gadgets cheaply. Other small kitchen appliances include juicers, blenders, mini blenders and coffee machines and you can get tiny kitchen appliances if you have a tiny kitchen. Others fold up or you can store them in the cupboard on on a wall. Once you have sorted out all your main kitchen appliances, it is time to stock up on handy time-saving tools and labor-saving kitchen gadgets. Kitchen gadgets do not have to be complicated or expensive. Some of the best and .....
- Tasty Chinese SeasoningsLearning how to season your Chinese recipes is essential if you want them to be successful. Chinese seasonings can liven up plain dishes. The seasonings used in Chinese recipes create the special flavors which differentiate the regional styles. Sesame oil, oyster sauce, chicken broth and soy sauce are the most commonly used seasonings in Chinese cuisine. These Chinese seasonings can be added before, during or after cooking, depending on the recipe. If you are serving a dish with rice, the seasoning should be heavier than if you were serving it alone. Savory dipping sauces are often served with Chinese recipes, and the most popular Chinese .....