Baked Stuffed Zucchini Boats
Low in calories but high in flavor, this wonderful baked stuffed zucchini boats recipe is sure to please your palate. The middles of the zucchini are scooped out and then you can add a wonderful ham and cheese filling, and bake them to perfection.
This is a very easy baked stuffed zucchini boats recipe which is nice served with Spanish rice or risotto, and just as nice served alone as a savory snack. If you want to make this dish vegetarian friendly, simply omit the ham, or else you might like to swap it for shrimp, salmon, walnuts, or pretty much anything else.
Tweak the Filling to Make It Your Own
The main ingredients in this baked stuffed zucchini boats dish are the zucchini and the cheese, so just add whatever you want to that mixture. You can also swap the ham for bacon, for a slightly different flavor, or even add some sausage.
Serve a tasty marinara sauce or salsa (or any tomato-based sauce you like) on the side, along with your rice, potatoes or perhaps some pasta, to make this a full and filling meal out of these baked stuffed zucchini boats.
This is a lovely, easy recipe, which you will want to make again and again. It is low in calories too – half a stuffed zucchini, if you use the ingredients suggested in the recipe, offers just 61 calories, or 2 WW Points Plus per half a stuffed zucchini. If you’re hungrier though, have 2 halves, since that is still under 125 calories.
- 2 zucchini (courgettes)
- 8 chopped thin slices lean deli ham
- ½ cup (60g) low-fat shredded cheese (Pepper Jack is good)
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Any other dried herbs or spices (optional)
- Fresh herbs, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- Scoop out the seeded part of the zucchini.
- Put the hollowed-out zucchini face up on a baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with salt and black pepper.
- Bake for 10 minutes until they just beginning to get soft.
- Stir the ham and cheese together in a small bowl.
- Add in the chopped zucchini flesh if you want (else save it for another use).
- Season with any other herbs or spices you want.
- Remove the zucchini from the oven and fill each one with quarter of the cheese mixture.
- Bake for another 6 minutes or until the cheese starts to bubble and brown.
- Serve garnished with fresh herbs.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Lamb Coconut Curry with Sweet PotatoThis lamb coconut curry with sweet potato recipe uses ground lamb rather than stewing lamb, and also includes sweet potato and peas, if you like, along with coconut milk, garlic, ginger, and curry powder to season it and add the flavors. This is a winter warmer and something lovely to enjoy on a chilly evening, to make a change from the beef or chicken curry recipes you usually prepare. An easy curry recipe to make, this lamb coconut curry with sweet potato dish is sure to appeal to all the family, and if you wish to tweak it, for example by swapping the sweet potato for pumpkin, the peas for garbanzo beans, or hot curry powder instead of .....
- Different Types of Kitchen KnivesWhen you shop for kitchen knives there are a few things to think about because there are different types of kitchen knives for different things. You will need different knives for different purposes. A santoko, or chef’s knife, is important. This knife is long enough to use for slicing and carving. If you only had one knife, a chef’s knife is the one to go for. The next knife you will need is one you can dice, mince and chop with. This would be a utility, usuba or paring knife. Any of these would be ideal for preparing the ingredients to add to a dish. A long, thin knife like a carver or slicer is good for cutting meat, fish and .....
- Pastel de Choclo Recipe from ChileI first tried this amazing corn pie in Chile and immediately fell in love with it. The ingredients might sound a little strange but it’s really good, I promise! Some people use beef while others use chicken. The corn topping on this pastel de choclo recipe is crisp, sticky and sweet and the eggs, black olives and other ingredients lend authenticity. Side Dish Options What is a good side dish for our pastel de choclo? Well, I like it with a simple tomato, garlic and onions salad on the side, or you might want to steam some broccoli or another favorite vegetable instead. This keeps well in the refrigerator for a few days and is easy to .....
- What to Eat with Type 2 DiabetesType 2 diabetes is the most common form of diabetes affecting around 90 – 95 % of the 26 million children and adults with the condition in United States. Hardly surprisingly, controlling the diet is a very important part of looking after yourself. This is why knowing what to eat with Type 2 diabetes is so important. Also known as non-insulin dependent diabetes, it is a chronic condition where the individuals have problems regulating the blood sugar in their body. Those who have high blood sugar are either unable to produce enough insulin or are not responsive to insulin. In recent years the incidence of diabetes has increased, perhaps partly .....
- Aromatic Crab Cakes RecipeThis lovely crab cakes recipe makes a great starter or lunch and you can imagine how beautiful they smell while they are cooking. Everyone wants to know how to make the best crab cakes and this recipe will show you how easy it is to make this popular dish. Exciting Ingredients The crab cakes recipe includes potato, flour and eggs, which are basil ingredients and used to give the crab cakes the right consistency, as well as aromatic ingredients such as chilies, lime and fresh coriander. The flavor is really nice, and you are sure to appreciate they have a wonderful homemade charm. Yes could can buy crab cakes in the supermarket but they will .....
- Japanese Scallop Soup with Snow PeasLight and aromatic, this Japanese scallop soup recipe is easy to make and makes a lovely appetizer, lunch or light evening meal. It can be made very quickly using whichever veggies you happen to have. The base of the Japanese scallop soup is chicken or vegetable stock and miso, then there are udon noodles and scallops in there too. You will be wowed by this recipe and want to make it again and again, because the flavor is so good. What are Udon Noodles? Have you tried udon noodles before? They are white, thick and a little chewy. Wheat-based, udon noodles are one of my favorite Japanese exports. You can get them fresh from the refrigerated .....
- Tasty Taco Salad in Tortilla BowlsAs much as I love salad (and I really do!) I do find myself getting bored with the same old salad recipes over and over, which is why finding a new recipe or learning a new salad tip or trick is always so great. Take this taco salad for example. Not only can you expect the flavorful flavors of Mexico, but you also get a crunchy taco bowl to serve the salad in. I love to present my taco salad in tortilla bowls because it looks so impressive but is actually easy! Tortilla bowls are very easy to make and you can do them in the oven. Use cooking spray and you add only a few calories to the tortillas themselves. You can serve any kind of salad in .....
- Baked Wonton Chips with Sesame SeedsYou can use black sesame seeds, white sesame seeds or gosiamo to make these baked wonton chips with sesame seeds. Gomasio is a mixture of sesame seeds, seaweed and salt. Have you seen these in your local store? If not, ask. The worst that will happen is the store doesn’t carry them in which case head to an Asian or international food store or else simply buy some white seeds and some black ones and make your own mix. These baked wonton chips with sesame seeds are so simple to make and you probably already have the required ingredients for them, since all you need are wonton skins, sesame seeds, oil and pepper. These wontons are baked .....
- Oven Baked Short RibsIf you’re looking for a great ribs recipe but using the oven instead of the grill, this oven baked short ribs recipe is certainly worth considering. It’s easy to make and the kitchen is going to smell incredible when you make this wonderful meal. What You Need for Oven Baked Short Ribs We are baking the ribs in the oven and adding a delicious sauce made with peach preserves, lemon juice, sugar, vinegar, paprika, black pepper, and Worcestershire sauce. These oven baked short ribs are really tasty and falling-apart tender. The whole family will enjoy this succulent treat. What Kind of Ribs to Choose We are using meaty bone-in beef .....
- How to Make Mapo TofuMapo tofu, which is sometimes written mapo doufu, is a delicious Chinese recipe from the Sichuan province in China. It is comprised of tofu in a reddish, spicy bean and chili based sauce. The tofu is usually cooked with ground meat, either beef or pork, along with fermented beans. There are variations of course, and everyone has their own way of making it. Discover how to make mapo tofu and you will fall in love with this dish! Why is Mapo Tofu Called That? So how did mapo tofu get its name? Well the ‘ma’ refers to ‘mazi’ which is pockmarks, and the ‘pa’ refers to ‘popo’ meaning old woman or .....