Baked Stuffed Zucchini Boats
Low in calories but high in flavor, this wonderful baked stuffed zucchini boats recipe is sure to please your palate. The middles of the zucchini are scooped out and then you can add a wonderful ham and cheese filling, and bake them to perfection.
This is a very easy baked stuffed zucchini boats recipe which is nice served with Spanish rice or risotto, and just as nice served alone as a savory snack. If you want to make this dish vegetarian friendly, simply omit the ham, or else you might like to swap it for shrimp, salmon, walnuts, or pretty much anything else.
Tweak the Filling to Make It Your Own
The main ingredients in this baked stuffed zucchini boats dish are the zucchini and the cheese, so just add whatever you want to that mixture. You can also swap the ham for bacon, for a slightly different flavor, or even add some sausage.
Serve a tasty marinara sauce or salsa (or any tomato-based sauce you like) on the side, along with your rice, potatoes or perhaps some pasta, to make this a full and filling meal out of these baked stuffed zucchini boats.
This is a lovely, easy recipe, which you will want to make again and again. It is low in calories too – half a stuffed zucchini, if you use the ingredients suggested in the recipe, offers just 61 calories, or 2 WW Points Plus per half a stuffed zucchini. If you’re hungrier though, have 2 halves, since that is still under 125 calories.
- 2 zucchini (courgettes)
- 8 chopped thin slices lean deli ham
- ½ cup (60g) low-fat shredded cheese (Pepper Jack is good)
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Any other dried herbs or spices (optional)
- Fresh herbs, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- Scoop out the seeded part of the zucchini.
- Put the hollowed-out zucchini face up on a baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with salt and black pepper.
- Bake for 10 minutes until they just beginning to get soft.
- Stir the ham and cheese together in a small bowl.
- Add in the chopped zucchini flesh if you want (else save it for another use).
- Season with any other herbs or spices you want.
- Remove the zucchini from the oven and fill each one with quarter of the cheese mixture.
- Bake for another 6 minutes or until the cheese starts to bubble and brown.
- Serve garnished with fresh herbs.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Traditional Greek Salad RecipeGreek salad is one of the most popular kinds, which is why most people have a good idea of what goes in there. Our traditional Greek salad recipe is simple to put together and you will recognize all the wonderful Mediterranean flavors in there. Feta cheese, olives, cucumber and tomatoes usually feature in this salad, but how do you make Greek dressing to finish it off in style, so you can close your eyes and imagine you are sitting by the ocean on a Greek beach? Read on and discover how to make our tasty and traditional Greek salad. This traditional Greek salad recipe is very simple and suitable for even novice home cooks. Sometimes I like .....
- Warm Duck Breast SaladThis warm duck breast salad is one of my favorite recipes, and my husband especially loves this dish! It is really easy to make too, and a good introduction to the joys of working with duck breast. It does not take long to make. In fact you can have it ready in under half an hour, including both cooking and prep time. This warm duck breast salad is filling enough to be the main dish, but if you were looking for an appetizer duck salad then simply use this recipe to serve 4 and it will make a tasty, filling appetizer dish, or even 6 if you don’t want such large appetizer servings. Any leftover duck can always be refrigerated then used .....
- Easy Spaghetti CarbonaraThis is a classic Italian dish made with spaghetti, bacon and eggs. There are different variations – some people add cream or cream cheese, some will add parsley or another herb, and others will use whole wheat spaghetti over white spaghetti. However you prefer it, an easy spaghetti carbonara recipe is well worth adding to your culinary repertoire. The following recipe is really simple, even if you are a newbie in the kitchen, and the flavor is amazing. This is good served with mixed salad leaves dressed with vinaigrette. Learning how to make spaghetti carbonara is a great idea if you want to serve something impressive but only have 2 .....
- Hoisin Celery Wontons in Wonton SoupThis exciting Hoisin celery wontons recipe features a flavorful broth containing homemade pork, hoisin and Chinese celery wontons. It couldn’t be simpler to make and this makes a warming meal for the whole family. You can even make extra wontons and freeze them for next time. This Hoisin celery wontons soup recipe calls for soy sauce paste. Soy sauce paste is similar to soy sauce but thicker. If you can’t get it, just use the regular kind. Be careful not to add too much sesame oil; a little really does go a long way. You can find Chinese celery in any Asian grocery store and it is sweeter than regular celery. If you can’t get it then try .....
- Kedgeree Made with Couscous or RiceThis kedgeree recipe is a traditional British breakfast from colonial India, offering a great balance of smoky and spicy flavors. Enjoy this for lunch or dinner. It is also good for breakfast if you fancy something fishy. Yes this dish is usually made with rice but try kedgeree made with couscous if you want something deliciously different. Shrimp and haddock are combined with the rice or couscous and there are hardboiled eggs and onion in there as well, and some lemon juice which brings out the lovely fishy flavors. This kedgeree made with couscous recipe is much simpler to make than you might have thought, so why not try this at the .....
- Starter Recipes for All SeasonsThere is no rule that you have to serve cold starters in the spring or summer and nor is there a rule to say you have to serve thick, warming ones in the winter months. However, it can be nice to match them to the seasons as well as to your guests and the main course. You will find there are starter recipes for all seasons if you want to use seasonal produce to make the most delicious appetizers. For example, if the weather is warm your guests might fancy something light and refreshing and that goes for the drinks as well as the food. If the weather is cold, a hearty soup recipe or something hot, crispy and spicy might be well appreciated. .....
- 1940s Kitchen StyleRetro kitchens are becoming more popular at the moment and it is a lot of fun to redecorate in the style of a certain era. 1940s style kitchens are particularly fun to create. Glass knobs, painted kitchen cabinets and vintage linens can be combined with modern appliances, for a functional and nice looking themed kitchen. You will not have to spend much money to get a 40s themed kitchen full of gorgeous 1940s kitchen style. Here are some good ideas to start you off – Lighting For an authentic 1940s style kitchen, try to keep the lighting simple. You can get wall sconces or vintage ceiling lights for an authentic look. You should add in .....
- Thai Fried Rice with ShrimpThis is very typical food in Thailand, and you can find Thai fried rice with shrimp (or chicken or another protein) served everywhere from a food stand on the street corner to a fine Thai food restaurant. There are different ways to make Thai fried rice with shrimp and you can usually specify which meat you want to have in there. When making Thai fried rice, you can use up any meats or seafood and veggies left in the refrigerator so if you have leftovers it is a great way to use them up. More about Thai Fried Rice with Shrimp Unlike Chinese fried rice and some other kinds, Thai fried rice comes with a wedge of lime on the side along with .....
- Baked Chicken Wings with Paprika and CayenneThese baked chicken wings are so good. If you are in the mood for chicken wings but you don’t want to fry them, try this recipe instead because they come out just as crispy as fried wings but are healthier because they aren’t going to be submerged in fat. A Flavorful Coating for Baked Chicken Wings The coating is made with flour, paprika, garlic salt, pepper and cayenne, and the wings are cooked in a little butter to crisp them up and stop them sticking to the baking dish. Swap the cayenne pepper for Hungarian paprika if you want, or the garlic salt for regular salt and a pinch of garlic powder, and the flavor of our baked .....
- Red Chicken Chili with TomatoesI love this red chicken chili with tomatoes recipe because it is lower in calories than a beef based chili yet it offers all the wonderful flavors you would expect from chili. Make it as mild as you wish or as spicy as you dare, and enjoy the fresh flavors it boasts. This red chicken chili with tomatoes recipe is so easy to put together. You just need to cook the chicken with the veggies, then add the other ingredients and let the mixture simmer for 45 minutes or so. That is all you need to do to make it. Kids love chili just as much as the grownups although they aren’t usually so keen on spice, so if you are making this for the whole .....