Best Brussels Sprouts Side Dish
I admit I used to hate Brussels sprouts as a child, largely thanks to the way they were presented in an over-boiled, mushy heap (apologies to my mother if she’s reading this) but seriously, sprouts are not only healthy, they can be yummy too, as long as you cook them right! So, find out how to cook Brussels sprouts like a pro and make the best Brussels sprouts side dish of all.
In the old days, this vegetable used to be boiled to soggy death in water, then plonked on the plate alongside the meat or poultry of choice, and kids everywhere (myself included) would leave them on the plate until they were cold, hoping they would just… disappear or something! No wonder sprouts have a bad rep when people everywhere just boil them.
The Magic of Pan-Frying
Now the first time I enjoyed sprouts pan-fried or sauteed was a real eye-opener. This little green vegetable, which may be compared to a miniature green cabbage, can be sliced and cooked with wonderful ingredients like red wine or red wine vinegar, walnuts, parmesan and nutmeg, and these ingredients help to bring out a brand new side to them. This inspired me on how to make the best Brussels sprouts side dish.Yep, that’s right, sprouts can be delicious if they’re cooked in the right way. Even if you’ve never liked them, trust me, try this best Brussels sprouts side dish recipe, and you might be converted into a sprout lover!
How to Prepare the Best Brussels Sprouts Side Dish
To prepare Brussels sprouts, you need to cut off the tough base then remove and discard the outer leaves. They might already be loose. You can then either cook them like that or slice them horizontally or chop them.
Here in Holland you can get green or purple sprouts, the latter of which is nutty and aromatic, and the former is, well as you know them. I think it’s a seasonal thing. I never saw them before last month.
You can swap the pine nuts in the following recipe for chopped walnuts if you wish. They work just as well.
What to Serve Them With the Best Brussels Sprouts Side Dish
Sometimes I serve these with chicken or beef. I use red wine vinegar or red wine, depending if I have a bottle open. Either of these will add the right note of acidity to the flavor of the recipe.
The parmesan is optional in the best Brussels sprouts side dish. If you don’t like it or don’t want to use it, that is fine and you can just leave it out. But I like how the tangy, creamy flavor plays with the very savory and ‘green’ flavor of the sprouts. So use your own judgment. In the photo below I am serving the best Brussels sprouts side dish with crispy fried chicken leg quarters and some sweet potato mash, a staple in our household since my husband is diabetic, and I like to cook him tasty meals which aren’t too high in carbs, to keep his blood sugar stable. So if you’re looking for interesting side dish recipes, try this Brussels sprouts with red wine and nuts, and enjoy every mouthful! Oh, and they’re healthy too.
- 1 lb (450g) Brussels sprouts
- ¼ finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Splash of red wine or red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
- Butter (optional)
- Parmesan cheese, as needed
- Cut the bottoms off the sprouts, remove the outer leaves and slice roughly.
- Now saute them with the onion in the oil for 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the vinegar or wine, pine nuts and some salt and pepper.
- Add the nutmeg if using.
- You can add a small amount of butter here too, if you want.
- Cook, stirring, for a minute.
- Add the parmesan and cook, stirring, for a minute or so, then serve hot.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Pastel de Choclo Recipe from ChileI first tried this amazing corn pie in Chile and immediately fell in love with it. The ingredients might sound a little strange but it’s really good, I promise! Some people use beef while others use chicken. The corn topping on this pastel de choclo recipe is crisp, sticky and sweet and the eggs, black olives and other ingredients lend authenticity. Side Dish Options What is a good side dish for our pastel de choclo? Well, I like it with a simple tomato, garlic and onions salad on the side, or you might want to steam some broccoli or another favorite vegetable instead. This keeps well in the refrigerator for a few days and is easy to .....
- The Benefits of Cooking Authentic Chinese RecipesAuthentic Chinese recipes are incredibly popular and have several different benefits, which is why more people than ever before are searching for the best recipe ideas. You might enjoy Chinese food but it’s fair to say that authentic Chinese recipes will taste very different. Once you have discovered several different recipes to try at home, you can begin to enjoy these benefits and appreciate real Chinese food for what it really is. Why Choose Authentic Chinese Recipes? Chinese food is considered to be incredibly healthy and very fast to make, ensuring that it is the perfect snack food. Some More Hot Content For You Greek Lamb Pasta .....
- Pork and Shrimp Wonton SoupThese flavorful pork wontons feature shrimp, ginger, green onion and more. Try pork and shrimp wonton soup for your supper tonight and enjoy the fresh flavors. Pork and shrimp wontons are usually served in authentic wonton soup recipes and if pork and shrimp go together better than you might imagine. If you have ever tried bacon-wrapped shrimp, you will know this is a match made in heaven. Pairing pork and shrimp means you will have a delicious wonton filling for your wontons. In addition to the pork and shrimp, the wontons feature ginger, soy sauce, Chinese rice wine and more, for a traditional wonton feel and a mouthwatering finish. How to .....
- Cream of Spinach SoupThis cream of spinach soup is comparable to a vichyssoise which is a creamy French potato soup but adding spinach gives it a different flavor, as well as a distinctive color. This is lovely served with crackers or just with some bread on the side. The flavor is magnificent and this is one of the best things you can do with spinach. An immersion blender is handy when making this cream of spinach soup because you can avoid pureeing it in batches in the blender, but if you don’t have one, that doesn’t matter too much. Use fresh spinach in this cream of spinach soup recipe so you get the lovely fresh flavor. This makes a nice .....
- What are WontonsSo, What are Wontons Exactly? A wonton, which can also be spelt wanton, wuntun, won ton or wantan, is a type of Chinese dumpling. Wontons are made by wrapping your chosen filling in a wonton wrapper and then molding the wonton into the shape you like. You can dip your fingertip into water to moisten the edges of the wonton wrapper before sealing it – this helps it to stick better and stay closed, because the water dissolves the extra flour. Make sure you squeeze all the air out of the wonton, else it might rupture because of the internal pressure from the trapped air. What are wontons? Well they’re one of the most delicious little .....
- Types of Bath Tubs and Bath TapsBathrooms are an essential part of every home, and they can be as modern or traditional as you desire. Every element of the bathroom can suit your taste and needs, ensuring that this room in your home is perfect. There are different types of bath tubs to choose from you can get the result you really want. There are essential items which all bathrooms need, including a sink, toilet, and shower or bath. If you are fortunate enough to have a large bathroom you can have both. Many people cannot live without their bath tub, and some will spend hours relaxing and soaking away their stresses after deciding which of the types of bath tubs is best .....
- Tips for Great WontonsOne of the best tips for great wontons is just to make them. Pick out an easy wonton recipe, perhaps a wonton soup or steamed wontons, and make them. Try your best and you will find it easy, maybe not the first time you try but don’t worry, you’ll soon be a pro! Your first batch might not look perfect. In fact, they might be a bit messy, since nobody learns to fold the perfect-looking wonton on their first attempt but, like with most things, the more practice you have the better you will become. Wonderful Wonton Soup Wonton soup is especially great for starting off with, because you can use a broth mix or some stock you have made .....
- Greek Lamb Pasta Bake with FetaThis Greek lamb pasta bake with feta is a delicious dish, pairing pasta with ground lamb, feta cheese and other Greek flavors. It is similar to pastitsio, Greece’s answer to lasagna, and you will find it really delicious and warming. Serve this Greek lamb pasta bake with feta with a simple salad on the side and a balsamic and extra-virgin olive oil dressing, or else just enjoy it by itself. If you’re into carbs, a slice of lightly toasted baguette bread would go well with this Greek lamb pasta bake with feta too. There are so many pasta bake recipes to choose from, and the great thing about such a dish is you can use pretty much .....
- Colorful and Easy Pearl Couscous SaladPearl couscous is also known as giant couscous or Israeli couscous. It is enjoyed with tomato paste and fried onion in Israel and usually fed to children, but in other countries it is served as an ingredient to substitute rice, potatoes or another starch. Try this pearl couscous salad if you’re looking for new ways to serve it or new homemade salad ideas. Pearl couscous can be served hot or cold. It does not clump as much as North African couscous (the smaller grains) and you can reheat pearl couscous without it losing its texture or shape. Have you seen it in the store? Next time you spot it on the shelf grab yourself a package .....
- Make Popcorn without OilPopcorn is a delicious snack but how do you make it without using oil? Actually there are various ways to make popcorn without oil, so forget the fattening microwave kind which is laden with salt and grease, and grab some plain unpopped kernels instead. They are surprisingly cheap, which is another bonus. An ounce of those contains just 1 gram of fat. You can pop these kernels yourself without needing any fat. What You Will Need to Make Popcorn without Oil Grab yourself 1/3 cup of plain kernels, a medium to large pot with a tight-fitting lid, some oven mitts or an oven glove, and some salt or another flavor to add to your finished dish. You .....