Carisma Potatoes – Diabetic Low GI Potatoes
When my husband was diagnosed with Type II diabetes a few months back, he was told to avoid sugary foods along with processed food, white potatoes, white pasta, white rice, milk chocolate and, well, the list went on. Being a Dutchman he is very into bread and potatoes so he thought those would be hard to quit. He eats whole wheat bread and the occasional sweet potato, both of which are OK for him, but I knew he missed the other stuff. And then we discovered Carisma potatoes!
Carisma Potatoes – How We Discovered Them
Anyway, to cut what could be a long story short, last weekend at the supermarket I spotted something called ‘Carisma potatoes’ and couldn’t believe it when I read the package and discovered they were diabetes-friendly! Diabetic potatoes? How could it be? I decided to buy a package and see what they were like. I wasn’t sure about Carisma potatoes, since I’m not keen on most low-carb breads and candies, and I don’t know if you’ve tried low-carb ‘pasta’ but yeuch!
Carisma potatoes are oval in shape and they have a pale, thin skin. The Carisma potatoes package advises you they can be boiled, mashed or used to make potato salad. To keep them low GI, leave the skin on. The reason for this is that is how they were prepared when their GI (more about that in a minute) was tested. I boiled them, sauteed them, mashed them and also made a potato salad to try them out, and I was really impressed, as was my husband!
The texture was smooth enough to hold together when boiled or used in a salad, and they crisped up nicely after I par-boiled and then sauteed them. They mash beautifully with a bit of butter. Once I boiled them too long them added butter and milk and they mashed kind of gluey. Just add butter (or margarine if you must) and you will find they mash to a lovely puree. Leave the skins on Carisma potatoes when mashing too. You won’t taste them and they help keep the GI value down because of the extra fiber.
Overall, Carisma potatoes tasted really good and I was pleased I’d bought them! The price was in line with other varieties of potatoes too.
How Carisma Potatoes are Diabetes-Friendly
The secret here is their low GI. A food’s GI (glycemic index) is a measurement used on carb-containing foods, to see how they impact blood sugar. All potatoes are good sources of carbs, fiber, vitamin C, and potassium, but Carisma potatoes have a GI of 55. A low GI is 55 or under, medium is 56 to 69, and high GI is anything 70 or above. When compared to Desiree potatoes (GI 101) or Sebago (GI 87) you can see what a difference this is. Eating low GI foods can help keep blood sugar levels low, meaning less insulin is required.
My husband eats 6 to 8 oz (up to 200g) of these with a meal and it doesn’t spike his blood sugar like regular potatoes do. I just hope they keep on selling them locally.
- 3 Carisma potatoes
- Water, as needed
- Salt, to taste
- Oil, as needed
- Fresh rosemary leaves
- Fresh chopped parsley
- Black pepper, to taste
- Wash the potatoes but don't peel them.
- Cut them into 1-inch (2.5cm) cubes.
- Put them in a large pot of water and bring it to the boil.
- Add a pinch of salt.
- Turn down the heat and simmer them for 10 minutes or until not-quite-tender.
- Heat some oil in a skillet, adding some butter too if liked.
- You can add some fresh rosemary here too (or chopped parsley).
- Drain the potatoes, then saute them in the skillet until golden brown and crispy.
- Add some salt partway through.
- Cut one potato cube in half to check it's tender.
- Grind in some more salt and maybe some black pepper too, then serve hot.
I served these with my favorite stuffed squid recipe, adding some salad on the side, and the crunchy, gorgeous Carisma potatoes were a huge hit! Despite their low GI, they taste just like regular potatoes. Well they are regular potatoes. They weren’t genetically modified to have their low GI. They just happen to be a low GI brand.
Where to Buy Carisma Potatoes
Many diabetics enjoy sweet potatoes sometimes, and then you have whole wheat pasta and brown rice, each of which is better than most white potato varieties or white rice and so on, but these Carisma potatoes do make a tasty alternative. They are available at Albert Heijn in Holland and Coles in Australia, but I’m not sure where else just yet. Perhaps take a look at your local store’s website if you’re interested?
- 3 unpeeled Carisma potatoes
- Water, as needed
- Salt, to taste
- Mayonnaise, as needed
- 1 chopped green onion (spring onion)
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- ½ teaspoon prepared mustard
- Black pepper, to taste
- Wash and chop the potatoes into 1-inch (2.5cm) cubes without peeling them.
- Put them in a pot and add enough water to cover by an inch or so.
- Bring them to a boil then add a pinch of salt.
- Simmer the potatoes until tender, then drain them.
- Let them cool, then stir in mayonnaise.
- The amount you use depends how creamy you want them.
- Add any of the optional ingredients you want to use.
Some people like to use half mayo and half sour cream, or another kind of dressing.
If you want to add mustard to the mayo, stir it in (along with any herbs or other seasonings) before tossing the potatoes with this dressing.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Make Popcorn without OilPopcorn is a delicious snack but how do you make it without using oil? Actually there are various ways to make popcorn without oil, so forget the fattening microwave kind which is laden with salt and grease, and grab some plain unpopped kernels instead. They are surprisingly cheap, which is another bonus. An ounce of those contains just 1 gram of fat. You can pop these kernels yourself without needing any fat. What You Will Need to Make Popcorn without Oil Grab yourself 1/3 cup of plain kernels, a medium to large pot with a tight-fitting lid, some oven mitts or an oven glove, and some salt or another flavor to add to your finished dish. You .....
- Bone Broth Recipes and Bone Broth BenefitsBone broth is a slow-cooked soup made from animal bones which are filled with magnesium and calcium, along with collagen. This beverage is a great addition to any diet, especially if you have skin problems, immunity issues or digestive trouble, because it can help with those. There has been a lot of talk lately about how to make bone broth recipes, with people wondering not only how to get the ingredients and make it, but also why it is so popular and what nutrients it includes. Combined with apple cider vinegar (to coax the minerals out of the bones) and seasonings or vegetables, bones make a tasty, nutritious broth which will keep for .....
- The Secret of Crispy Sweet Potato FriesSweet potato fries are always good and they pair well with many a snack – with sandwiches, burgers, ribs, or even just some ketchup to dip them in! However, many of us have the problem of homemade sweet potato fries being, well, not crispy enough. That’s why you need to know the secret of crispy sweet potato fries. I’ve never had real success with my oven baked sweet potato fries but what I have discovered is a great recipe to get them super-crispy using a deep fryer and I am sharing my recipe with you below. Why Use Sweet Potatoes for Fries The reason I use sweet potato fries is my husband is diabetic and white potatoes .....
- Kitchen Gadgets Every Home Cook Should HaveMost people already have basic kitchen appliances such as toasters and kettles but these items do break! That’s why it’s good that you can pick up replacement kitchen gadgets cheaply. Other small kitchen appliances include juicers, blenders, mini blenders and coffee machines and you can get tiny kitchen appliances if you have a tiny kitchen. Others fold up or you can store them in the cupboard on on a wall. Once you have sorted out all your main kitchen appliances, it is time to stock up on handy time-saving tools and labor-saving kitchen gadgets. Kitchen gadgets do not have to be complicated or expensive. Some of the best and .....
- Easy Beef Chow MeinAn easy beef chow mein is one of the tastiest Chinese dishes and if you are in the mood to rustle up your own, rather than ordering takeout, you can expect not only to save money but also to be able to enjoy a superior, more authentic flavor. You can make this easy beef chow mein in about 15 minutes flat, maybe less, and enjoy it for lunch or dinner. Different Types of Chow Mein Chow mein translates to mean fried noodles. Chow means ‘fried’ and ‘mein’ means noodles. There are 2 main variations of the dish – Hong Kong style which is with crispy noodles, or steamed chow mein. In this recipe we are pairing beef and .....
- Spicy Veal Crackslaw with MushroomsI spotted some ground veal in the grocery store last week and, since I had never tried it before, decided to use it to make veal crackslaw. I am always looking for new ideas. Crackslaw is always good but I can get bored with beef at times. You can use any kind of ground meat to make crackslaw and I like veal escalope, so I thought why not see how ground veal works out? I combined the veal with mushrooms and other veggies, as well as all the Asian seasonings crackslaw is famed for, and the results were impressive. I really liked it! As well as the veal, I used a package of sliced veggies including mushrooms and leeks, to make this veal .....
- How to Wrap WontonsWonton wrappers come in different shapes and sizes but 3 inch square ones are possibly the most common variety. The following video shows you how to fold a wonton (or how to wrap wontons) for perfect results. You can then poach or deep-fry your wontons. How to Wrap Wontons in Different Ways Choose from triangles, flower buds or nurse caps – your wontons will look really professional and hold together perfectly in the broth or oil as they cook. If you are baking or steaming them, you have more options because you can arrange them on top of lettuce or cabbage leaves in your steamer and expect them to stay upright. The same applies if you are .....
- Crispy Baked Camembert RecipeCamembert cheese is often featured as one of the cheeses on a cheeseboard, but there is more you can do with it. Similar to brie, this French cheese offers a ripe, creamy flavor, and it is also delicious served hot. Some people choose to fry the breaded Camembert in oil but you can also oven bake it if you want to cut the calories and fat content. Try this baked Camembert recipe for yourself to experience an amazing taste and texture. How Many Will This Crispy Baked Camembert Recipe Serve? This baked Camembert recipe will serve 2 if you want a filling starter or light main dish, or you can cut each cheese in half before you dip in the egg .....
- How to Make Salsa in the Food ProcessorSalsa in a jar is usually an underwhelming experience, which is why making your own is such a good idea. Not only is making salsa very easy, but you are going to end up with something really delicious which you will be proud to serve with your tacos, fajitas, Mexican salad, or even with a bowl of your favorite chips, for dipping. Learn how to make salsa in the food processor and you can whip this up in mere minutes whenever you want it. Low Calorie but High Flavor Because tomatoes are very low in calories and they are the main component of the dish, salsa is a great choice if you want to make a low calorie dip. Knowing how to make salsa in .....
- Risotto Stuffed SquidThis Italian-inspired risotto stuffed squid recipe makes a delicious dinner and it is impressive enough to serve at a dinner party. Calamari is often battered and deep-fried but in this recipe it is stuffed with tasty risotto and cooked on the grill or griddle, then served in slices for a beautiful presentation. What Kind of Squid to Use for Risotto Stuffed Squid You can use whatever size squid you like. Use smallish ones (the width of your palm) and each person can eat 2 or even 3, or use larger ones and 1 per person should be sufficient. The size of the squid affects the cooking time (bigger squid take longer to become tender) but not the .....