Easy Potato and Cherry Tomato Frittata
This healthy, colorful recipe is rich in vitamins and minerals, and it makes a delicious meal, whether you have it for breakfast or brunch, lunch or dinner. A frittata is an Italian egg-based dish, a bit like a crustless quiche or omelet. I love this potato and cherry tomato frittata because of the combination of flavors and textures.
Frittata comes from ‘friggere’ – the Italian word for ‘fried’ – and such a dish can include cheese, vegetables, pasta, eggs, or anything else you like.
This term used to refer to eggs cooked in a skillet, whether you are making an omelet, fried egg or even tortilla de patatas (a Spanish potato omelet). This was the definition of ‘frittata’ until the mid-1950s anyway, but these days it refers to an open-face omelet.
Differences Between Frittata and Omelet
An omelet might or might not have added ingredients, while a frittata always has at least one ingredient besides the eggs, and those ingredients go into the mixture while the eggs are still raw. An omelet is usually almost fully-cooked before the other ingredients go into it. A potato and cherry tomato frittata is not the same as a potato and cheese baked omelet.
It is common to vigorously beat frittata eggs to get plenty of air into the mixture. This means the frittata will be fluffier. A frittata is cooked more slowly than an omelet, over a lower heat, and often finished in the oven.
An omelet is often folded at this stage while a frittata is not folded, although it might be flipped over or broiled briefly. A frittata is normally cut into slices to serve while an omelet can be served whole. Finally, a frittata is served hot, warm or cold, while omelets are nearly always served hot.
The following potato and cherry tomato frittata is very easy to prepare. Use a non-creamy potato (not the mashing kind) so it holds together, and feel free to add a couple tablespoons of chopped fresh parsley if you want. Use an ovenproof skillet so you can start the frittata on the stove and finish it off in the oven. This means one with a metal (not plastic) handle.
- 6 eggs
- 1 peeled, chopped medium potato
- 1 chopped red onion
- ½ lb (250g) cherry tomatoes
- 3½ oz (100g) crumbled feta and/or shredded mozzarella
- ½ cup (125ml) light cream
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Fresh basil sprigs, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 355 degrees F (180 degrees C).
- Whisk the eggs with the cream, salt and pepper.
- Heat an ovenproof skillet over a moderate heat.
- Add the oil and potato and cook for 7 minutes or until tender.
- Add the onion and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the beaten egg mixture, then top with the cheese(s) and cherry tomatoes.
- Turn the heat down to low and cook for 5 minutes.
- Transfer the skillet into the oven and cook for 10 minutes more, or until set.
- Garnish with fresh basil and serve either hot or cold.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Anchovy and Melon Salad RecipeThis anchovy and melon salad recipe is a simple and easy dish which tastes very good. The citrus and melon flavors go perfectly with the fish while the watercress sprigs make a pretty garnish. If you are low on time, why not have a go at this easy anchovy and melon salad recipe? Aromatic Healthy Melon Melon is so nice to use in a salad because it has a unique and very refreshing flavor. This simple anchovy and melon salad recipe is one of our more interesting starter recipes and it is especially nice to serve in the summer when you are looking for something refreshing......
- British Indian Food and How It All BeganIndian cuisine is really popular in the UK, but British Indian food differs from authentic Indian cuisine. While some dishes are Anglicized versions of typical Indian dishes, others are Indian takes on typical British dishes, so there is plenty of fusion. Fish and meat are cooked as curries with Indian vegetables, and yogurt, almonds and coconut are typical ingredients in this cuisine. British roast beef for example can be modified with chilies and cumin to make a curried beef dish. Indian roast type dishes, rices, breads and curries all offer a distinctive Indian taste. Some examples of British Indian food include mulligatawny, fish .....
- Tasty Ground Chicken WontonsGround chicken is not the most common ingredient to fill wonton wrappers, but it is a versatile protein which combines well with various types of vegetables and seasonings. These little dumplings can be deep-fried, steamed or poached for a soup, and ground chicken is lean so lower in fat that some other types of meats. Try these ground chicken wontons and experience an authentic, tasty flavor. Delicious Dumplings: Chicken Makes a Change A lot of people have only tried the ground pork or ground beef option for making theirs, and ground chicken makes such a nice change, a nice change of pace. Try it and you will be pleasantly surprised by the .....
- Fried Shrimp Wontons with Water ChestnutsShrimp or prawns are a very popular wonton filling and who can resist a wonton appetizer recipe – crisp wontons stuffed with a juicy shrimp and water chestnut mixture? The following easy fried shrimp wontons with water chestnuts recipe shows you how to make gorgeous little dumplings which taste amazing. Replace the sugar with sweetener if you prefer, or just leave it out. You can make these fried shrimp wontons with water chestnuts as sweet or otherwise as you personally prefer. A touch of sweetness in a wonton recipe appeals to a lot of people but not to everyone. The other flavors – the sesame oil, ginger, chili and soy sauce – also .....
- Gluten Free Grilled Lettuce with Goat Cheese RecipeThis grilled lettuce with goat cheese is a delicious starter recipe and is ideal for people who can’t eat gluten. This might be a simple recipe but it tastes really good. You might not have cooked lettuce before but it is perfect in this delicious gluten free recipe. Grilled Lettuce with Goat Cheese: Uh, Cooked Lettuce – Really? Yes, you really can cook lettuce and not end up with a watery mess in the pan. That does not apply to all lettuce though and you will need to choose something which holds its shape quite well like Little Gem or Romaine. The lettuce just needs to be heated up and crisped on the surface touching the pan. .....
- Traditional Greek Salad RecipeGreek salad is one of the most popular kinds, which is why most people have a good idea of what goes in there. Our traditional Greek salad recipe is simple to put together and you will recognize all the wonderful Mediterranean flavors in there. Feta cheese, olives, cucumber and tomatoes usually feature in this salad, but how do you make Greek dressing to finish it off in style, so you can close your eyes and imagine you are sitting by the ocean on a Greek beach? Read on and discover how to make our tasty and traditional Greek salad. This traditional Greek salad recipe is very simple and suitable for even novice home cooks. Sometimes I like .....
- Bathroom Furniture to Enhance the Smallest RoomBathroom furniture can ensure that your bathroom looks and feels amazing, regardless of the size or style of the room. Many people overlook how vital the furniture is for this room, and it is often left to the last minute to choose. However, if you take the time and effort to select the correct items for your bathroom, you can make it feel incredible and inviting. There are several different pieces of bathroom furniture to choose from so you need to consider your needs and what you want the pieces to do for your room. You need to decide if you want fitted furniture, or pieces that can be moved easily. Both have advantages and will often .....
- Greek Lamb CrackslawGreek seasonings work their magic in this special crack slaw recipe, while the meat and veggies are sure to fill you up. This Greek lamb crackslaw makes a change from the Asian crackslaw recipes you might be more familiar with, but if you are looking for something different this recipe is ideal. Ground lamb is used instead of another kind of ground meat, and it makes a great substitute because it is naturally quite fatty which means it comes out succulent and juicy. Fantastic Flavors The Greek flavors in this Greek lamb crackslaw recipe come from the addition of tomatoes, herbs and lemon juice. You can also add some black olives if you like. .....
- Exotic Mango and Chicken SaladThis tasty and exotic mango and chicken salad recipe is a fusion style appetizer, blending the flavors of southeast Asia. This creative cuisine has its roots in Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand and Indonesia and this is a really juicy and flavorful starter recipe. You can either serve it on a big plate if you are making starters for a buffet or give everyone a plateful. Salad greens and tomato are great as a garnish and this is a great idea for a starter recipe. A Wonderful Asian Dressing The salad dressing used for this exotic mango and chicken salad is a combination of yogurt, ginger, lime juice and soy sauce. You could add some sesame seeds .....
- Salmon in Mustard Cream SauceSalmon is a powerhouse of nutrition. This salmon in mustard cream sauce recipe is just one idea for incorporating this juicy fish into a recipe. Wild-caught salmon boasts sweetness as well as a fatty touch which balances things out beautifully for the perfect mouth-feel. This would be beautiful with any kind of potatoes – mashed, boiled (with dill weed!) or crispy and roasted, along with your favorite green vegetable. Broccoli, zucchini (courgette) and green beans are definite contenders. Personally I love grilled green asparagus, so consider that as well. If you want to double up on the sauce it would make a fine vegetarian dip for .....