Easy Tomato and Onion Focaccia
Focaccia is a tasty Italian bread which complements all kinds of dishes. Although you can buy it from the bakery or grocery store, making your own easy tomato and onion focaccia loaf is worthwhile because let’s face it – you can’t beat freshly baked bread! And this one is certainly no exception.
How to Serve Focaccia
You can serve this easy tomato and onion focaccia as an appetizer, either alone or with dips like sour cream dip or onion dip, or else have it with your main dish. If you are having beef, chicken or similar in a sauce, focaccia bread can be used to scoop up every last drop of those yummy meat juices, making it a worthwhile accompaniment to any Italian meal.
This recipe is simple to follow. Grab some yeast, flour, salt, oil, onion, tomato and oregano to make it, and allow an hour or so time for the dough to rise. This baked Italian bread is similar to pizza dough and is often served with appetizers or tapas in Italian cuisine.
Why Focaccia Rises More
Focaccia uses more yeast than pizza dough though, so it rises more. Serve this easy tomato and onion focaccia flat bread with your appetizers, alone with aperitifs, with dips (fusion style) or alongside your Italian inspired meat or fish dish, and you’re sure to have a winner on your hands.
- 2 packets active dry yeast
- ¼ cup (60 ml) warm water
- 5½ cups (780g) all-purpose flour (plain flour) and more for handling the dough
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups (500ml) warm water
- 1 peeled, halved, thinly sliced yellow onion
- 2 cups (1 pint) halved ripe cherry tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (125ml) olive oil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- First you need to prepare the dough.
- Dissolve the yeast in the warm water.
- Let it sit for 3 or 4 minutes, or until it starts to bubble.
- Put the salt and flour into your food processor bowl.
- Now stir the yeast mixture into 2 cups (500ml) of warm water.
- Run the food processor and pour the liquid through the feed tube.
- Process for 30 seconds to make a smooth, moist dough.
- If it's too sticky, add more flour.
- If it's too dry, add more water.
- Now turn the dough out on to a lightly floured board and knead by hand until smooth but still a bit sticky.
- Grease a large bowl and add the dough in there.
- Turn to coat it with oil all over then seal with plastic wrap and let it rise somewhere warm for an hour.
- While the dough rises, toss the onion, cherry tomatoes, 4 tablespoons of oil and ½ teaspoon of salt in a bowl, then let this mixture sit.
- Coat your baking pan with more oil, then deflate the risen dough and lay it in the pan.
- Press and stretch it into a flat round which fills the pan.
- Now remove the onion and tomatoes with a slotted spoon, letting the juices drip away.
- Arrange them on the dough, pressing them in with your fingers.
- Drizzle the marinating oil over the top of the focaccia.
- Let it rise (uncovered) for 20 minutes, then put a baking stone in the oven and heat to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- Sprinkle ½ teaspoon of salt over the focaccia then bake it for 20 minutes.
- Turn the pan back to front and cook for a further 12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Take the pan out of the oven, drizzle more olive oil over it and scatter over the oregano.
- Let it cool for 15 minutes before slicing.
- This is best served at room temperature or slightly warm from the oven.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Standard Kitchen Cabinet DimensionsWhen planning a new kitchen or renovating your existing kitchen, there are various things that you need to know if you are going to do the work yourself, especially standard kitchen cabinet dimensions. “What are the standard kitchen cabinet dimensions” is a very common question to ask and you will need to know the answer so you can plan what to buy and also so you can plan what is going to go where and what exactly you are going to have in there. If space is at a premium you might be limited in the amount of drawers, cabinets and workspace you are able to get. Now, standard kitchen cabinet dimensions: base kitchen cabinets are 24 .....
- Review of Every Yankee Candle Tart ScentI love Yankee Candle Tart Wax Melts and can’t seem to stop buying them! Since I have tried pretty much every scent, I thought I would share my Yankee Candle Tart scent reviews with you, to inspire you to try new scents and discover a new favorite perhaps. I have an electronic tart burner as well as a tea-light one, and my husband and I both like trying new fragrances in our home. The first time I ever tried using wax tart melts was when I found a bargain set in one of the local shops here in Holland including a tea-light burner and a few small melts. They were unbranded and didn’t smell that appealing but I liked the concept and .....
- Best Baked Chicken Breast with Cream of Chicken SoupThis baked chicken breast with cream of chicken recipe is quick and easy. It makes a great family dinner and everyone at the table will enjoy it. All you need to make this is chicken, a can of cream of chicken soup, milk, and poultry seasoning. The resulting baked chicken breast with cream of chicken is juicy and delicious, and pairs wonderfully with mashed potatoes, pasta or rice, and pretty much any vegetable. Try asparagus, broccoli, carrots, corn on the cob, or even colorful mixed veggies. An Incredibly Easy Baked Chicken Breast Recipe Anyone can make this baked chicken breast with cream of chicken recipe because it is really simple, .....
- Marsala Chicken with AsparagusMarsala chicken is a tasty Italian dish which you can find not only in the best Italian restaurants but also in your very own kitchen if you choose to follow this marsala chicken with asparagus recipe. This marsala chicken with asparagus dish is made with chicken thighs which offer more flavor than breast, and are also juicier and more succulent. Chicken thighs are harder to overcook and dry out than chicken breast. Leek, fennel and asparagus make up the vegetable content of the dish. As well as the chicken and veggies, this Italian Marsala chicken recipe features lemon juice, Marsala wine and parsley, to bring out all the delicious flavors .....
- Creamy Blue Cheese DipThis creamy blue cheese dip blends blue cheese with cream, mayonnaise and milk, with some lemon to add brightness and garlic to complement the flavor. Serve this with chips or vegetable crudites, or consider it as a side for your next buffalo chicken recipe, since the creaminess is the perfect contrast for the heat of the hot sauce. Creamy Blue Cheese Dip is So Easy to Make Making this creamy blue cheese dip is really easy blue cheese dipping sauce is simply a question of adding the ingredients to the food processor and pressing the button. Give it a few seconds and your dip will be ready to serve. If you don’t have a food processor .....
- Spanx Control UnderwearWomen’s control underwear is the easy, pain-free way of smoothing out those love handles as well as your belly and other bits and pieces you would prefer weren’t there. Maybe you already own Spanx control underwear to keep those wobbly bits under control. Browse and shop for all the best control underwear and wear figure-hugging skirts and dresses once more. Control panties are just as comfortable as regular panties. The material stretches and holds you in, and you will forget you are wearing them. Spanx Control Underwear : Plenty of Choice Body contouring undergarments are available from lingerie stores and you can also buy this .....
- Quick and Easy Banana PancakesWhether you are looking for a tasty breakfast recipe, a quick snack or even a sweet treat when you get peckish in the evening, this easy banana pancakes recipe is ideal. You can combine the ingredients in a couple of minutes, then cook the pancakes in a skillet on the stove for a few minutes. Serve them just as they are, drizzled with some syrup or perhaps will chopped fruit or berries as a filling. You can also tweak our recipe, perhaps adding some cinnamon or nutmeg or even a little brown sugar. The sweetness of the banana means you don’t really need to add any sugar to the pancake batter, especially if you are going to serve it with .....
- Wonderful Weightwatchers RecipesWeightWatchers is certainly a diet to consider if you want to lose a few pounds. This company was founded by Jean Nidetch from Brooklyn in the 1960s. Today WeightWatchers is international and operates in more than thirty countries. There are lots of WeightWatchers recipes you can make, most of which are really tasty. This diet program includes regular meetings, group support and a points system to calculate how much food you can eat in order to shed excess weight. Weightwatchers Recipes and Weight Watchers Points Each type of food or beverage has a point value and you first calculate how many points you are allowed per day (depending on your .....
- Best Chicken Pumpkin Risotto RecipeThis is such a great recipe for the fall (or maybe you call it autumn, depending where you’re from) and the juicy chicken, sweet pumpkin, comforting rice, and other tasty flavors in here combine beautifully to make this gorgeous chicken pumpkin risotto. To make a flavor-packed risotto, stick to delicate, fragrant flavors, and you will experience this timeless Italian dish the way it was meant to be enjoyed. That Wonderful Risotto Texture To get the texture of the chicken pumpkin risotto just right, use risotto rice (arborio or carnaroli perhaps) and keep adding the liquid in small amounts, letting the rice absorb the liquid before .....
- Low Carb Tortilla PizzaThis low carb tortilla pizza is incredibly good and it takes about 10 minutes to make and the same again to cook. Whether or not you have made pizza before, you will find this low carb tortilla pizza incredibly simple, and the sky is the limit as far as toppings are concerned. Use a low-carb tortilla to make your pizza. I recommend the Mama Lupe ones because they’re so good and only 3 carbs (and 60 calories) each. And they are the closest in flavor to regular tortillas. I also tried the La Tortilla brand for my low carb tortilla pizza because those are only 50 calories each but… nope not as good as the Mama Lupe ones. This low .....