Easy Tomato and Onion Focaccia
Focaccia is a tasty Italian bread which complements all kinds of dishes. Although you can buy it from the bakery or grocery store, making your own easy tomato and onion focaccia loaf is worthwhile because let’s face it – you can’t beat freshly baked bread! And this one is certainly no exception.
How to Serve Focaccia
You can serve this easy tomato and onion focaccia as an appetizer, either alone or with dips like sour cream dip or onion dip, or else have it with your main dish. If you are having beef, chicken or similar in a sauce, focaccia bread can be used to scoop up every last drop of those yummy meat juices, making it a worthwhile accompaniment to any Italian meal.
This recipe is simple to follow. Grab some yeast, flour, salt, oil, onion, tomato and oregano to make it, and allow an hour or so time for the dough to rise. This baked Italian bread is similar to pizza dough and is often served with appetizers or tapas in Italian cuisine.
Why Focaccia Rises More
Focaccia uses more yeast than pizza dough though, so it rises more. Serve this easy tomato and onion focaccia flat bread with your appetizers, alone with aperitifs, with dips (fusion style) or alongside your Italian inspired meat or fish dish, and you’re sure to have a winner on your hands.
- 2 packets active dry yeast
- ¼ cup (60 ml) warm water
- 5½ cups (780g) all-purpose flour (plain flour) and more for handling the dough
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups (500ml) warm water
- 1 peeled, halved, thinly sliced yellow onion
- 2 cups (1 pint) halved ripe cherry tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (125ml) olive oil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- First you need to prepare the dough.
- Dissolve the yeast in the warm water.
- Let it sit for 3 or 4 minutes, or until it starts to bubble.
- Put the salt and flour into your food processor bowl.
- Now stir the yeast mixture into 2 cups (500ml) of warm water.
- Run the food processor and pour the liquid through the feed tube.
- Process for 30 seconds to make a smooth, moist dough.
- If it's too sticky, add more flour.
- If it's too dry, add more water.
- Now turn the dough out on to a lightly floured board and knead by hand until smooth but still a bit sticky.
- Grease a large bowl and add the dough in there.
- Turn to coat it with oil all over then seal with plastic wrap and let it rise somewhere warm for an hour.
- While the dough rises, toss the onion, cherry tomatoes, 4 tablespoons of oil and ½ teaspoon of salt in a bowl, then let this mixture sit.
- Coat your baking pan with more oil, then deflate the risen dough and lay it in the pan.
- Press and stretch it into a flat round which fills the pan.
- Now remove the onion and tomatoes with a slotted spoon, letting the juices drip away.
- Arrange them on the dough, pressing them in with your fingers.
- Drizzle the marinating oil over the top of the focaccia.
- Let it rise (uncovered) for 20 minutes, then put a baking stone in the oven and heat to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- Sprinkle ½ teaspoon of salt over the focaccia then bake it for 20 minutes.
- Turn the pan back to front and cook for a further 12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Take the pan out of the oven, drizzle more olive oil over it and scatter over the oregano.
- Let it cool for 15 minutes before slicing.
- This is best served at room temperature or slightly warm from the oven.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Rune Stones – A Beginner’s GuideWhat are rune stones? Well, rune stones, or runes as they are also known, are a system of communication, decision making and divination. There are 24 runes in a set and they are like an alphabet of the North and North Central Europe. To Buy or Make Rune Stones You can buy runes from New Age shops or online, but a lot of people like to make their own, and you can use stones or discs made from wood. Rune stones are often engraved but some are painted or drawn on instead. One way to make your own runes would be to find 24 similar size pebbles or cut 24 discs out of wood, and write on each one with a black marker pen. Some More Hot Content For .....
- Low Carb Crab Crackslaw for Seafood LoversCut the carbs in your diet by using seafood and low carb ingredients to make a tasty meal. This crab crackslaw recipe features crab instead of the beef used in the original recipe. This is a rich, spicy recipe so the crab flavor is not so strong but that is what we are aiming for here, a dish with a hint of seafood flavor. And lots of typical crackslaw flavor. Crab is recommended if you are low-carbing but if you want to replace the crab with crabsticks or imitation crab watch out, because those do contain carbs and sometimes sugars which you obviously want to avoid when making low carb crab crackslaw. Canned crab is an economical .....
- Lamb Crackslaw with Hoisin SauceThis recipes uses leftover lamb, but you could use any leftover meat to make it. Just chop it into small pieces and then you can add it to the recipe. The vegetables add flavor and color to the dish, and you can feel free to use your favorites. I love lamb crackslaw because it’s tasty and oh so filling. If you want to swap the carrot for broccoli, for example, go ahead. This could be served with a starch on the side, but I usually just have it as it is, because it is satisfying enough like that. In fact it is really filling. This recipe is really appealing and even if you are not following a low carb diet you will love it. Hoisin sauce .....
- Authentic Italian Meatballs with BasilThese delicious and authentic Italian meatballs with basil can be served hot or cold and they make a really nice starter recipe. Serve them with a tomato-based dip or a creamy dip for the best results. You can use a shop-bought tomato salsa or garlic mayonnaise dip if you want to, or put something together yourself. Different Kinds of Meatballs There are lots of meatballs recipes to choose from and you have probably tasted Swedish meatballs, pork meatballs or other meatballs recipes before. This recipe for authentic Italian meatballs with basil is very simple and the meatballs are steamed rather than fried or baked, to keep them juicy and .....
- Brilliant Bruschetta RecipeA bruschetta recipe is one of the best Italian appetizers. It is made by rubbing garlic over grilled bread, then adding olive oil, tomatoes, salt and pepper. Some types of bruschetta recipe might also include cured meat, cheese, tomatoes, beans, or vegetables. The best-known bruschetta recipe outside Italy features fresh tomato, garlic and onion, fresh basil, and mozzarella. So Many Bruschetta Recipe Options A great bruschetta recipe is found on Italian restaurant menus all over the world, and there are hundreds of different ways to make it, which is why restaurant bruschetta ranges from bland to wonderful, depending who is making it. Make .....
- Ruby’s Copycat Peanut Butter Wolf CocktailI first tried this gorgeous peanut butter wolf cocktail at Ruby Burgers in Queen Street, Exeter, currently my favorite American diner style restaurant in England! Although I don’t know the exact recipe they use, I have a copycat recipe for peanut butter wolf cocktail here which tastes very similar if you wish to recreate the flavor of this cocktail in your own home. It’s not the healthiest beverage but hey, festive times are a-coming and it’s always worth having a cocktail recipe like this up your sleeve! And consider trying my copycat version of their hoisin duck brioche too! Delicious Ingredients for Peanut Butter Wolf .....
- Indian Pasta Salad with ChickenPasta is not the first ingredient that should come to mind when you think about Indian cuisine because of course it is an Italian ingredient. However that is the beauty of fusion cooking. This Indian pasta salad offers some exciting flavors, all of which go together nicely. When combined they offer an exotic flair in what would otherwise just be a basic pasta salad. You can find all kinds of ingredients in this Indian pasta salad which come together wonderfully. The neutral flavor of pasta along with its firm al dente texture means a spicy, aromatic dressing is sure to suit it instead of clashing. In the following recipe we are teaming our .....
- Low Carb Mini Quiches RecipeWhether you serve these low carb mini quiches for breakfast, lunch, dinner or just as a snack, there is no doubt these mini quiches will satisfy your hunger. Eggs are a basic staple on low carb diets because they offer plenty of nutrients, they are filling and tasty, and there are so many recipes you can make with this versatile, budget ingredient. Eggs are great for vegetarians and pescetarians, as well as carnivores. Low Carb Mini Quiches: An Easy Freezy Idea! One great thing about this low carb mini quiches recipe is you can freeze the quiches, then just pop one in the microwave for half a minute. Make a big batch at once and you will .....
- A Great Dipping Sauce for WontonsMany people are eager to start making the best and most easy wonton recipes but wait – what are you going to serve with the wontons? If you are serving them in soup then that is one thing but if not, you might like to serve a wonton dipping sauce on the side, to dip your steamed, baked or fried wontons into. You are going to need a tasty dipping sauce for wontons. A wonton dipping sauce can be something out of a bottle such as soy sauce, oyster sauce or chili sauce, or it can be something you make yourself. Consider the wonton filling when thinking about what type of wonton dipping sauce to prepare. Examples of a Good Dipping Sauce for .....
- Cream of Spinach SoupThis cream of spinach soup is comparable to a vichyssoise which is a creamy French potato soup but adding spinach gives it a different flavor, as well as a distinctive color. This is lovely served with crackers or just with some bread on the side. The flavor is magnificent and this is one of the best things you can do with spinach. An immersion blender is handy when making this cream of spinach soup because you can avoid pureeing it in batches in the blender, but if you don’t have one, that doesn’t matter too much. Use fresh spinach in this cream of spinach soup recipe so you get the lovely fresh flavor. This makes a nice .....