Gourmet Gnocchi with Cherry Tomatoes and Proscuitto
Gnocchi makes a change from pasta or pizza but is just as Italian. So if you are in the mood for Italian food but not something too, well, obvious, consider gnocchi! This dish, which comprises potato gnocchi, cherry tomatoes and mozzarella, is also known as gnocchi alla sorrentina. Gourmet gnocchi makes such a nice dinner. It’s the perfect balance between satisfying and delicate.
I like to add prosciutto to the dish but you could add serrano ham or regular ham instead (the thinly shaved kind) or else just leave it out, for a vegetarian result. You could even get creative here, adding shredded cooked chicken or similar, as a way of using up leftovers from last night’s meal.
What is Gnocchi Exactly?
Gnocchi is like a little dumpling made of potato and flour. You can make your own or grab a package from the pasta and rice aisle in the grocery store. Obviously it’s far easier just to grab some ready-made. If you add plenty of fresh ingredients you can restore a homemade flavor to the dish. We are adding cheese, tomatoes and ham, and this adds plenty of flavor and color, and it’s also really easy to make this simple Italian staple into a gourmet gnocchi meal ready to knock your partner’s socks off with big, bold flavors!
Serve this with some crusty bread, preferably ciabatta or another kind of Italian bread if you can get it, along with butter. Add a baby leaf salad and some kind of basic dressing like extra-virgin olive oil and red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar, and you have a delicious entree which everyone will love. This certainly makes an exciting change from the usual pasta recipes.
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 thinly sliced garlic cloves
- 16 oz (1 lb) halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 handful chopped fresh basil leaves
- ½ teaspoon white sugar
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 lb (450g) potato gnocchi
- 12 oz (340g) diced mozzarella (dried on paper towels first)
- 3 oz (85g) chopped prosciutto (or wafer-thin sliced ham)
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan, to serve (optional)
- Fresh herb sprigs, for garnish (optional)
- Put 2 tablespoons of oil in a pan and heat it up.
- Saute the garlic in there until golden brown.
- Now add the cherry tomatoes and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the basil, sugar and some salt and pepper.
- Bring the mixture to a boil then turn the heat right down and keep it cooking as slowly as possible.
- Meanwhile put the butter in a pot with the remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Now add the gnocchi and stir with a wooden spoon to coat in the oil/butter mixture.
- Grind in some salt and pepper and cook for 5 minutes without stirring.
- Now flip the gnocchi over so the other side can brown.
- This will take another 4 to 5 minutes.
- Stir if necessary, then take the gnocchi off the heat.
- Remove the tomatoes form the heat and add the mozzarella.
- Add the mozzarella mixture and prosciutto to the gnocchi and stir.
- Serve with some Parmesan on top if liked, and add fresh herb sprigs for a gourmet presentation.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Cat Behavior ExplainedOur furry feline friends have some fascinating behavioral habits which might be confusing to their owners but they do have explanatory reasons. Why do cats purr for example? Does it mean they are happy and content? Here is a look at some of the more common feline behaviors so you can consider at least some cat behavior explained. Cat Behavior: Why Do Cats Purr? Cats use purring as a communication device. A cat will purr when something makes them feel happy, comfortable or safe. A kitten and its mother often purr together as a sign of comfort and being relaxed and the kitten will continue the purring behavior throughout its life. It has also .....
- Amazing Chocolate Walnut CakeThis is a rich and tasty chocolate walnut cake featuring all the best sweet flavors that go amazingly together. Chocolate cake is good, as is walnut cake, but combine the two and – bam! You have an incredible cake boasting the rich taste of chocolate and the distinctive crunch of walnut in every mouthful. This cake is easy to prepare and decorating it with the ganache is a breeze. To make this flavorful cake you are going to need butter, chocolate, cocoa, coffee, eggs, sugar and walnuts. The frosting uses cream and dark chocolate along with some more walnuts to garnish the finished cake. When to Make this Chocolate Walnut Cake This .....
- Simple Zucchini PancakesThese simple zucchini pancakes make a great breakfast and you can make them in advance, so what is not to love about that? Low in calories and fat (especially if you fry them in cooking spray rather than butter or oil) they can be enjoyed with sausage or bacon, or simply as they are, perhaps with some garlic mushrooms on the side or a broiled tomato. Try these simple zucchini pancakes and you will be surprised how great they are. Different Types of Pancakes Pancakes range from thin and crepe-like to thick and fluffy, and different people prefer them different ways. And yes some even prefer these simple zucchini pancakes. Personally I am more .....
- Watermelon Radish Recipes Cooked and RawWhat is a watermelon radish, you might be wondering. It could be you have spotted watermelon radishes at your local market and you are curious what to do with such a vegetable. What kind of watermelon radish recipes are there? Maybe you are looking for a good watermelon recipe. Well I purchased some of these at my local market, and I have been experimenting! First of all, what is a watermelon radish anyway? Well, this vegetable is an edible globular root with green leaves and thin stems. The outside is whitish and the flesh is bright pink. It is tender-crisp and firm in texture. It tastes mild and a little peppery. You might taste some .....
- Couscous Salad with Parsley and LimeThis is such a refreshing salad and it’s easy to make. We are using regular couscous but if you like Israeli couscous that is also fine, or you could consider bulgar wheat for a result for like tabbouleh. This couscous salad with parsley and lime is zingy, refreshing and really tasty. The key to making a good couscous salad is freshness. I find the more fresh ingredients it contains the better it is, so grab some tomatoes, cucumber, parsley and limes, along with the other ingredients, and you will be able to rustle up this delicious dish and experience all the amazing fresh flavors the way they are supposed to be enjoyed. How to Serve .....
- How to Cook a T Bone Steak in a PanT bone steak is relatively lean and extremely tasty. Choose one with a nice red color and a bit of marbling and then you can pan fry it for amazing results. If you usually grill your steaks, consider pan-frying instead because you will still get a really good flavor, plus ‘grill marks’ if you are using a griddle pan (a ribbed pan) and if the weather isn’t quite warm enough to fire up the grill, you can still cook your T bone to perfection. Learn how to cook a T bone steak in a pan and you can prepare a side dish in the oven at the same time, and always know how to make juicy, tasty steak. Cooking the T bone steak in a pan .....
- Healthy Mediterranean SaladBoasting all kinds of delicious ingredients from lettuce and tomatoes to corn, olives, oregano, and a stunning oil and vinegar dressing, this salad offers a true taste of the Mediterranean, and it makes a lovely side dish for any fish, meat or poultry dish. Consider this healthy Mediterranean salad recipe if you want a fresh and seasonal side dish. Alternatively you can serve it as an appetizer. I can’t stress enough how important it is to wash your lettuce properly because there might be little worms or caterpillars in there (yes, I found one last week!) So separate the leaves and use a salad spinner after rinsing the lettuce in cold .....
- Cream of Cauliflower Soup RecipeThis delicious cream of cauliflower soup recipe is thick and creamy. If you want to make the best cream of cauliflower soup recipe, this is a very nice recipe to choose. Each serving offers 150 calories, 12g carbs, 4g protein and 10g fat. This makes a very nice lunch or appetizer. I often make curried soups but occasionally I like to make something creamy, and cauliflower is really good. Mashed cauliflower (like mashed potatoes but with cauliflower) is also very good, and I like to add cauliflower to curries. Cream of Cauliflower Soup Recipe: So Simple and Good What makes this cream of cauliflower soup recipe special is the simplicity of it. .....
- Beef and Potato Rissoles RecipeThese hot, tasty treats make a really delicious appetizer, so consider this beef and potato rissoles recipe if you want to make a hearty, delicious dish. The parsley, dill and thyme go really well with the beef and the currants and pine nuts add texture and flavor. Rissoles are quick and easy to make and you can serve them on a platter of lettuce leaves if you like. What are Rissoles? So what is the difference between a rissole and a hamburger patty, you might be wondering. Actually they are quite similar but a hamburger is often made with just meat and perhaps some seasonings, while rissoles often feature all kinds of added ingredients like .....
- Beef and Cheese Stuffed Bell PeppersYou will find these beef and cheese stuffed bell peppers to be really filling. If you are not sure that one stuffed bell pepper is going to be sufficient for your meal, don’t worry, because it will be! I love making beef and cheese stuffed bell peppers. Sometimes I use a rice based stuffing but the beef and cheese option is also very nice. It is filling and if you are keeping an eye on your carbs then that is another reason to make these. Stuffed peppers look attractive and while some people throw the top away I like to cook it in the baking pan with the stuffed peppers and then put it back on at the end. I just like the presentation .....