How to Make a Healthy Vegetarian Frittata
Eggs are a wonderful and versatile ingredient for vegetarians, and you can use them to make breakfast, lunch or dinner, so it is a good idea always to keep some in the refrigerator. The following recipe teams the eggs with fresh vegetables, garlic, cheese, and basil, and the result is light yet perfectly satisfying. This healthy vegetarian frittata is something you are sure to enjoy.
Feel free to change the vegetables, using up whatever you have in the refrigerator. Pretty much anything goes, so you might wish to swap the green onions for red onion, the baby spinach for broccoli, the potatoes for mushrooms, or even the basil for cilantro or parsley.
Throw in some diced chili pepper too if you want to give the dish some extra zip! Any kind of cheese is good in this frittata recipe, although a blend of parmesan and mozzarella works especially nicely here.
What to Serve with Your Healthy Vegetarian Frittata
Serve the finished healthy vegetarian frittata warm from the oven, perhaps with some bread or a simple salad on the side. It can also be enjoyed alone as a snack. The following recipe makes 6 servings at roughly 390 calories per serving.
Photo by JeffreyW, on Flickr
- 8 eggs
- 6 sliced green onions
- 5 thinly sliced small red potatoes
- 1 sliced fresh tomato
- 1 minced garlic clove
- Handful of baby spinach
- Handful of shredded cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- Olive oil or cooking oil, as needed
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a large, ovenproof skillet over a moderate heat.
- Add the sliced potatoes (peeling them first is optional) and sauté them for 7 minutes or until tender but still firm. Remove them from the skillet.
- Pour another tablespoon of oil in there and add the spinach, green onions, tomatoes, and garlic. Cook for 2 minutes or until the spinach is wilted.
- Beat the eggs with the basil and cheese in a bowl, then pour this into the skillet over the vegetables.
- Grind in some salt and black pepper. Turn the heat down to moderate-low and scramble the eggs for a minute.
- Put the potatoes back in the pan and cook for another 2 minutes or until the eggs begin to set just around the edges.
- Drizzle some oil around the pan edge (this will make the frittata easier to remove when it is cooked).
- Finish off the frittata in the oven, giving in about 10 minutes, or cooking until the eggs are completely set in the center.
Some More Hot Content For You
- How to Grill MusselsWhen the weather is cold, mussels steamed in the pan with white wine and parsley makes a wonderful meal, served with warm garlic bread. Then maybe follow them up with some mulled wine or hot apple cider. This is why everyone should know how to cook mussels. When the weather turns warm, such a dish might not offer the same appeal but that’s when the barbecue comes into play and grilling season is in full swing. In the following recipe we are taking live mussels and cooking them in foil packets. They are served with a butter, parsley and white wine sauce, along with some bread. This makes a lovely appetizer for 4 or an entrée for 2. If .....
- Choosing Kitchen Cabinets and CountersThe kitchen is the heart of the house, so choosing kitchen cabinets and counters is something you ought to take your time doing. This room is where you make delicious meals, congregate during parties and get the family together for a relaxing dinner. But even though you might have all the best kitchen gadgets, your kitchen cabinets and kitchen counters might need replacing. Why Replace Them Anyway Perhaps your cabinets are too small or they do not match the rest of the kitchen, which is why you are choosing kitchen cabinets and counters. Before you rush out to buy new ones, there are a few things to think about. How many cabinets do you need .....
- Making Ground Chicken for Wonton RecipesIf you have chicken breast or chicken tenders but not ground chicken, you can still make chicken wontons or chicken wonton soup, by grinding your own chicken. Preparing ground chicken for wonton recipes means you can make this tasty filling quickly and easily. Ground chicken (or minced chicken) needs to be chopped very finely, and the simplest way of doing it is to push the chicken through a grinder. Choose a medium-coarse grind setting. These old-fashioned meat grinders can be very handy. Did you ever see your mom or grandmother using one? They are made of iron and you simply insert your meat and crank the handle, and out comes ground .....
- Easy Pan Fried Tuna with a Sesame CrustThis tuna with a sesame crust is a fabulous way to showcase the wonderful flavor of fresh tuna, and you will not believe just how easy this recipe is to make, even if you’re new to cooking fresh fish or don’t often do it Even a total novice in the kitchen will be able to pull this recipe off and end up with a very impressive dish. To make it, you just need some tuna steaks and sesame seeds, both black and white, and then some oil for frying and salt to add extra flavor. In addition to that you will need a big nonstick skillet. Tips for Cooking Tuna with a Sesame Crust There is nothing hard about cooking fresh fish, especially not .....
- Creamy Salmon Pate Stuffed EggsHow pretty do these salmon pate stuffed eggs look? This recipe takes deviled eggs to the next level, by combining the egg yolk with salmon, lemon and creamy ingredients to make a pale pink, delicious-tasting appetizer. One or two egg halves per person is a good estimate although some people won’t be able to stop munching on these lovely little snacks. There are different ways to prepare these salmon pate stuffed eggs. You can make them the traditional way by slicing the eggs in half lengthwise or you could remove a wedge from the top (like in the picture) for a different look. How to Add the Salmon Pate Stuffed Eggs Filling The salmon .....
- Cauliflower Nasi Goreng – Low CarbThis cauliflower nasi goreng – low carb and tasty – might well earn a place on your regular meal rotation. It’s just so special! Nasi goreng is a delicious dish from Indonesia, which I’ve enjoyed plenty of times since moving to the Netherlands, since the Dutch are very much into Indonesian foods. Although this is a rice-based dish and you might think no way can that be low carb, swap the rice for cauliflower and it will be! Also, because this is a spicy dish (a dish with spices, not necessary ‘hot’ if you don’t want it to be) you won’t taste the cauliflower. What is Nasi Gorgeng? The name .....
- Pork Steaks in Mustard SaucePork loin steaks or chops are ideal for this recipe, and these tend to be very affordable when compared to some other types of meat. This pork steaks in mustard sauce recipe is perfect for a weeknight dinner and you’ll find them to be popular with the whole family. Pork is juicy and tasty, and it is also quite versatile, making an appearance in everything from spicy recipes to mild ones or even fruity ones. Pork goes nicely with apple. The following pork steaks in mustard sauce recipe features a mustard sauce though, proving that pork also works with piquant flavors. Choose Your Cream and Mustard Types Choose from regular sour cream or .....
- Luxurious Irish Cream ShakeThis Irish cream shake is so good and it is really quick to make too. Brew some strong coffee and let it cool down, then put it in the blender with Bailey’s, ice cream and coconut milk to make this thick, creamy shake. Ideal for St Patrick’s Day or just whenever you want to spoil yourself with a wonderful treat, this Irish cream shake always goes down well, and the flavor is amazing. This Irish cream shake recipe serves 2 people but it is easy enough to double or triple the recipe if you are serving more. If you want, you may top the shake with whipped cream and chocolate curls for a nice presentation, else you can serve smaller .....
- Halloween Candy Corn Brûlée PotsThese are fantastic for Halloween, and suitable for the kids and grownups too. The desserts are served in little jars and you can tie some black ribbon around them to add that festive feel. Why not try this Halloween candy corn brûlée pots this Halloween? The recipe is made in stages. You will be making several layers, then assembling the Halloween candy crème brûlée pots at the end and using a kitchen torch to get the sugar topping nice and crispy. If you don’t have a kitchen torch just omit the last part. Halloween Candy Corn Brûlée pots Make Great Halloween Fare Halloween is a great time to experiment in the kitchen. You can rustle .....
- Artichoke Dip RecipeHaving a party? Try this artichoke dip recipe! This is a great dip which is ideal with crackers or crudites such as celery and carrot slices. This artichoke dip recipe is also delicious with warm toasted bread. Artichokes are something a lot of people overlook in the grocery store but they are really nice, and you can use fresh or canned ones in so many recipes, such as baked pasta dishes and soups. A lot of artichoke dips feature spinach but this one doesn’t, just to make it more unique. The artichoke offers plenty of flavor of its own and does not require backup in the form of spinach. The dip comes out an off-white color because of .....