How to Make Vegetable Quiche
Few things are as delicious as a good vegetarian quiche, and learning how to make vegetable quiche is something that any home cook can do with ease.
You can include as few or as many veggies as you like, and choose from various types of crusts and fillings, to make your vegetarian quiche recipe perfect for your palate.
Once you discover how to make quiche you will want to experiment with diverse crusts and fillings. Not only will you love the resulting quiche but your family are sure to love it too.
Quiche is a healthy option, boasting the protein from eggs, the nutrients in the veggies, and it is also really filling and will keep you satisfied until your next meal so discovering how to make vegetable quiche is very worthwhile.
Quiche can be served hot, chilled or at room temperature, alone or with one of many possible side dishes such as a simple tossed green salad, some steamed vegetables or even homemade fries.
Types of Vegetarian Quiche
There are lots of types of quiche, including vegetarian quiche recipes and even vegan quiche recipes. Have you tried mushroom quiche or spinach quiche? How about tomato and cheese quiche or even a delicious broccoli quiche?
The sky is the limit and the great thing about making your own easy vegetarian quiche recipes is you can add any veggies you like!
How to Make Vegetable Quiche Like a Pro
Feel free to mix and match the veggies. Perhaps you have some leftover vegetables to use up. Swap the red bell pepper for green or yellow bell pepper or try adding some asparagus or beets if you fancy. Make this quiche your own.
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches or 23cm)
- 5 eggs
- ¼ cup (60ml) milk
- 2 chopped medium tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 sliced button mushrooms
- 1 chopped red bell pepper
- ½ cup (90g) chopped zucchini (courgette)
- 1½ chopped yellow onions
- ¼ cup (50g) grated Parmesan cheese
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon curry powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 450°F (230°C).
- Line the pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (do not prick the pastry first).
- Bake it for 5 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake for another 5 minutes.
- Reduce the oven heat to 350°F (180°C).
- Saute the onion, red bell pepper, mushrooms, tomatoes and zucchini in the butter in a big skillet.
- Add the cinnamon, curry powder, salt and black pepper, and mix well.
- Spoon this mixture into baked crust.
- Beat the eggs then stir in the milk and cheese.
- Carefully pour this over the vegetables.
- Bake for about 40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Let the quiche stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Photo by: Dreamstime
Wilton Nonstick Round Tart Quiche Pan, 9 by 1 1/8 Inch
This nonstick quiche dish makes it easy to cook your favorite vegetarian quiche recipe. Once you know how to make vegetable quiche you can go ahead and use this awesome quiche pan for it. Simply add your pastry crust, add the filling mixture and bake to perfection. This is a nonstick quiche pan so your finished quiche will come out easily and in one piece. Your crust will be fluted attractively and this pan encourages even baking. This is a high-rated quiche pan which every home kitchen can make use of.
Vegetarian Mini Crustless Quiche Recipe
Party-Perfect Mini Quiche Appetizers
Mini quiches are fantastic finger food, and these mini quiche appetizers are cute and totally delicious. They are individually sized for portion control and they are crustless too.
The combination of 1/2 whole egg and 1/2 egg whites along with skim milk means that are a fantastic low-calorie breakfast option. Swap the skim milk for a mixture of heavy cream and water and you have low carb mini quiches.
Breakfast quiche anyone? These are also wonderful for appetizers, lunches, snacks, or anytime you fancy something tasty.
If you are following a low carb diet you might be interested in learning how to make crackslaw. This spicy, meaty feast is low carb so perfect for any stage of the Atkins diet.
A Brief History of Quiche
A quiche has an egg and milk (or cream) filling and a pastry crust. One of the most famous quiches has to be quiche lorraine, an open pie containing not only the egg-based filling but also smoked bacon.
The bottom crust used to be made from bread dough, although modern quiche recipes use pastry instead. Pleased you now know how to make vegetable quiche? Great, time to try our recipe!
- 4 large eggs
- ⅓ cup (45g) grated Fontina cheese
- 10 oz (285g) chopped white mushrooms
- ¼ cup (65ml) skim milk
- 2 handfuls baby spinach
- 1 thinly sliced small shallot
- 4 large egg whites
- Cooking spray as needed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- Salt and black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) and lightly coat a 12-cup nonstick muffin pan using cooking spray.
- Add the oil to a large nonstick skillet and saute the shallot, mushrooms and a little salt and black pepper until the mushrooms are lightly browned and the shallots are soft.
- This will take about 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add the nutmeg and spinach. Stir for a couple of minutes, then let the mixture cool for 5 minutes.
- Whisk the eggs with the egg whites and milk, adding a pinch each of salt and pepper.
- Stir in the cheese, then divide the mixture between the muffin cups.
- Don't fill them more than halfway.
- Top with the spinach mixture.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the quiches are golden brown and set, and have risen.
- Allow them to cool in the pan for 5 minutes then transfer them to a wire rack and delight in the fact you now know exactly how to make vegetable quiche.
- You can serve them warm or at room temperature.
Photo courtesy of: Alice Carrier, on Flickr
Some More Hot Content For You
- Easy Banana Cheesecake with a Vanilla CrustThere are many types of cheesecake to choose from – chocolate, caramel, strawberry… the list goes on. Banana cheesecake is especially good though, and better still it is easy to make. This dessert is wonderful after any kind of main dish and you will probably want seconds because it’s so good! Our recipe uses vanilla wafer cookies and butter to make the crust, then the main layer is made with mashed bananas, sugar, cornstarch, eggs, cream and vanilla. The banana cheesecake is baked briefly in a hot oven then finished off in a cooler oven. When the middle is nearly set but still a little jiggly it is done. How to Serve this .....
- Tasty Ground Chicken WontonsGround chicken is not the most common ingredient to fill wonton wrappers, but it is a versatile protein which combines well with various types of vegetables and seasonings. These little dumplings can be deep-fried, steamed or poached for a soup, and ground chicken is lean so lower in fat that some other types of meats. Try these ground chicken wontons and experience an authentic, tasty flavor. Delicious Dumplings: Chicken Makes a Change A lot of people have only tried the ground pork or ground beef option for making theirs, and ground chicken makes such a nice change, a nice change of pace. Try it and you will be pleasantly surprised by the .....
- Best Toaster Oven Under $30Buy the best toaster oven for less than $30 and be assured it will be perfect quality. Perhaps you have read some reviews of toaster ovens or maybe you are just thinking about adding one to your kitchen. Non stick cookware toasters review articles are essential to provide you with the information you need to decide if this toaster will suit your needs and budget. Toaster ovens are cheaper to run than large ones, so you can save money if you are just cooking or reheating a small amount of food. They will not overheat your kitchen the way large ovens can either, which is another benefit of the best toaster oven......
- Fried Brie with Hot Cranberry Sauce RecipeFried Brie with hot cranberry sauce is a traditional starter and with this recipe, you can make it from start to finish in just a few minutes. Brie is a versatile cheese and is just as good served cold in a sandwich as served fried like this. Personally I’m not keen on cold Brie but I can’t get enough of this fried Brie with hot cranberry sauce! What is Brie Cheese? Brie is a soft cow’s milk cheese which is widely available. It’s named after Brie, the French region where it originates from. Perhaps you have only had it cold, sliced, perhaps with French bread and grapes, but it is really good in this fried Brie with .....
- Anchovy Wrapped OlivesThis anchovy wrapped olives recipe is very simple and shows you how to make anchovy wrapped olives. The recipe is perhaps one of the simplest you have seen, since you only need two different ingredients to make it, and this basic salty snack is beautiful whether you enjoy it with a cold beer, a glass of wine, a soft drink or even a warm beverage. Anchovies are salty, fishy and have an interesting texture, while olives are smooth, soft and the pimento filling is somewhat sweet. Anchovy Wrapped Olives: Making Your Own When paired, these two ingredients offer a beautiful savory flavor and a wonderful balance. These anchovy wrapped olives are .....
- Recipe for Squid Stuffed with Rice and HerbsThis fun video shows you how to make delicious squid stuffed with rice and it is aimed at beginners, so you can see exactly what you need, how to prepare the ingredients and how to stuff and cook your squid to perfection. Stuffed squid recipes are really easy, so long as you know what you need and how to prepare and combine the ingredients, as well as how long to cook it so your squid comes out beautifully tender. This squid stuffed with rice cooking video is easy enough for complete beginners to master so if you are worried about getting lost in technical cooking jargon then don’t, because that is not what stuffed squid is all about. .....
- Easy Soba SaladI love all kinds of noodles but soba noodles are my favorite. The word ‘soba’ means ‘buckwheat’ in Japanese and it also refers to thin, buckwheat noodles. In Japan the word refers to any thin noodles. These can be served hot or cold, with a dipping sauce or in soup or you could make an easy soba salad. Buckwheat can be harvested 4 times a year because it takes 3 months to reach maturity and be ready for harvesting. Soba noodles are sold at railway stations in Japan, and they also feature on the menus in high-end restaurants, making them a versatile component in a variety of dishes, not just easy soba salad recipes. .....
- British Beef and Ale PieThis British beef and ale pie is a gorgeous recipe and it makes a filling lunch or evening meal, served with plenty of mashed potatoes, carrots and peas or carrots on the side. We are using shortcrust pastry here which is sturdy rather than flaky, along with braising or stewing steak. The flavors inside come from Worcestershire sauce, tomato, ale or stout and beef stock. Start with Great Pastry Although you can make your own shortcrust pastry for this British beef and ale pie if you want to, it is much quicker and easier to use readymade shortcrust pastry, and it tastes about the same too. You will be lining the pie dishes with pastry, .....
- Lebanese Lamb MeatballsI love this Lebanese lamb meatballs recipe. I’ve only made the meatballs once so far but it’s something I’m definitely going to make again! These Lebanese lamb meatballs boast plenty of herbs in the form of parsley and mint. You might be surprised at the amount of herbs in these meatballs but, believe me, the combination works really well. Ground lamb is something I don’t use that often, just because the only place I can get it where I live is the Cash and Carry and that’s not somewhere I go much, but when I do use it I like to make something special, perhaps some comfort food like shepherd’s pie, or else .....
- Elizabethan Chicken in Cream SauceThis delicious Elizabethan chicken in cream sauce recipe features chicken breasts, a lean and healthy choice, as well as onion and chicken stock for the base. The real appeal comes when you add grapes and sour cream, transforming this dish into something fruity and unique. Nutmeg and cider vinegar add a spicy twist to the flavor, and this may be served on rice or on a bed of mashed potatoes. Like most of our recipes, this Elizabethan chicken in cream sauce is pleasingly simple to put together. First you need to brown the chicken and then just keep it warm while you prepare the rest of the dish. Golden pan-fried onions are then simmered with .....