Mexican Cauli Rice
Knowing how to make cauliflower rice is very handy whether you are looking for a low-carb substitute for rice, you are trying to cut down your calories, or you simply want to use up a cauliflower or sneak some added nutrients into your meal. Try this Mexican cauli rice dish for yourself and you’ll be amazed how good it is.
This Mexican cauliflower rice recipe is simple to prepare, and it is something you can tweak to your heart’s content. The first thing you need to do of course is transform your raw cauliflower into rice-sized pieces, and the easiest way to do this is to put it in the food processor with a blade attachment and whiz it for a few seconds.
How to Make Cauliflower Rice
If you don’t have a food processor though, you can do it in the blender or else use a box grater to do it by hand. You can use the whole cauliflower apart from the leaves and the woody part right in the center. Don’t use thawed cauliflower for Mexican cauli rice because it is too mushy to separate into the rice-shaped bits.
I use the low speed on the food processor for literally 3 or 4 seconds, then just give it a second or 2 on the high speed, and that seems to make cauli rice or cauli snow (since it looks a little like it!)
Perhaps you have used grated cauliflower in the past to make a cauli pizza crust but that is slightly different because you need to cook it and drain the water out using cheesecloth or a nut milk bag or similar. Here we are using liquid ingredients so the moisture from the cauliflower won’t make any difference. Once it’s rice-shaped, it’s ready to cook and you can go ahead and make your Mexican cauli rice.
I like to use ground beef in this Mexican cauli rice recipe but it would also be good with ground pork or chicken. You could even make a vegetarian cauli rice if you wanted to. Each time I make it I add something else in. This time, I added a small can of corn and some grated carrot since I had some to hand.
Getting the Mexican Flavors Just Right in Mexican Cauli Rice
Then you can add broth and tomato, and also cumin, chili powder, oregano, salt, and pepper. Taste the sauce as you go, but keep simmering the Mexican cauli rice mixture until it’s mostly evaporated.
Although some recipes will suggest you cover the pan, I usually just leave mine uncovered and simmer the mixture away. It’s easy to add more liquid to the pan if it does get too dry. Keep an eye on it and stir it every once in a while.
Serve your finished Mexican cauli rice with sour cream if you like, or even some grated cheese on top. If you have some leftovers, you will find it keeps well for a couple of days in the refrigerator, but you might find the spice flavors and garlic flavor becomes more intense as it rests overnight (which is usually a nice thing!) I like to serve mine with fresh cilantro on top.
- 6 oz (170g) lean ground beef
- 1 chopped small yellow onion
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small cauliflower
- 1½ cups (375ml) chicken or beef broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato concentrate or 4 oz (120g) canned tomatoes in juice
- Pinch each of chili powder, cumin and dried oregano
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 5 oz (140g) canned corn kernels (optional)
- Small handful grated carrot (optional)
- Sour cream, to serve (optional)
- Cilantro, to serve (optional)
- First pour a splash of oil into a pot and heat it up.
- Next add the meat, onion and garlic.
- Cook over a low-medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile break your cauliflower into florets and whiz them in a food processor until rice grain-sized.
- Once the beef is browned all over, add the cauliflower to the pot.
- Cook for a few minutes.
- Add the broth, tomato, chili powder, cumin and oregano.
- Grind in some salt and black pepper.
- If you like, you can also add corn and/or carrot at this point.
- Give the mixture a good stir and then simmer for 30 minutes or until everything is tender.
- Adjust the seasonings.
- Serve hot, with sour cream and/or cilantro if liked.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Cute Pink Cell PhonesAlthough you can get pink cellphone cases and covers to transform pretty much any phone into a pink one, you can also buy really cute pink cell phones. Cute pink cell phones come in various styles and prices, and are really cute. If you are looking for a pretty pink phone, keep reading because we have tracked down all the best bargains. Anyone who likes girly things will find these so cool. Having a pink phone is different to snapping a pink cover or case over a black, white or gray phone, because the actual phone is pink, and that means you do not have to snap a case or cover on to the phone or even buy one. It also means you do not have to .....
- Creamy Potato Salad with BaconPotato salad is always good but add bacon and you have a really mouthwatering side dish. The following creamy potato salad with bacon is a recipe which is very simple to make; the potato salad will keep for a few days once prepared. Serve it chilled or room temperature. Some people even like it served warm, as soon as it is made. Use boiling potatoes to make potato salad, not mashing potatoes which tend to disintegrate too easily. The choice of dressing is up to you. While a lot of people just use their favorite mayonnaise, you might prefer another kind of creamy dressing for this creamy potato salad with bacon, else you can use half mayo .....
- White Food Recipes for After Teeth WhiteningHaving your teeth professionally whitened is the best way to get that gorgeous pearly shade without breaking the bank on veneers or another expensive treatment. The process itself is usually painless although your teeth might be a little sensitive afterwards. You will need white food recipes for after teeth whitening for a couple of days. Even though it’s possible to fashion a menu from the list of ‘allowed’ white foods it’s helpful to have some fresh ideas to keep things interesting! Read on to learn what you can eat after teeth whitening, what you must avoid after teeth whitening, and some more teeth whitening .....
- Lightly Spiced Pumpkin SoupPumpkin soup is a real favorite in this household but I never buy it, I always make it! There are two main ways to prepare this soup – leaning either towards the savory or towards the sweet. This lightly spiced pumpkin soup appeals to anyone who loves pumpkin and is neither too savory nor too sweet. Personally I like my pumpkin soup sweet although I add savory ingredients to it such as onion and garlic. Although roasting the pumpkin first is something most people do, if you are in a rush, you could just add it to the pot and let it simmer in the stock until tender. The flavor will not be that different. But if you want the best .....
- Alpine and German Weather HousesFirst things first… what on Earth is a weather house and why would you use German weather houses? Well, a weather house is a little house in the shape of a Swiss or German chalet, and it is used to indicate the weather. Usually there are 2 side-by-side doors, with a girl in the left one and a boy in the right one. If the weather is supposed to be dry and sunny the girl comes out. If it’s going to be rainy the boy comes out. The boy/girl might be young or they might be man/woman figures depending on the design of the weather house itself. Alpine and German weather houses are all different so you can choose exactly what you prefer. .....
- Exotic Mango and Chicken SaladThis tasty and exotic mango and chicken salad recipe is a fusion style appetizer, blending the flavors of southeast Asia. This creative cuisine has its roots in Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand and Indonesia and this is a really juicy and flavorful starter recipe. You can either serve it on a big plate if you are making starters for a buffet or give everyone a plateful. Salad greens and tomato are great as a garnish and this is a great idea for a starter recipe. A Wonderful Asian Dressing The salad dressing used for this exotic mango and chicken salad is a combination of yogurt, ginger, lime juice and soy sauce. You could add some sesame seeds .....
- Bathroom Furniture to Enhance the Smallest RoomBathroom furniture can ensure that your bathroom looks and feels amazing, regardless of the size or style of the room. Many people overlook how vital the furniture is for this room, and it is often left to the last minute to choose. However, if you take the time and effort to select the correct items for your bathroom, you can make it feel incredible and inviting. There are several different pieces of bathroom furniture to choose from so you need to consider your needs and what you want the pieces to do for your room. You need to decide if you want fitted furniture, or pieces that can be moved easily. Both have advantages and will often .....
- Delicious Curried Deviled EggsDeviled eggs make a nice dish before any main course or you can serve them at a buffet or party. Curried deviled eggs are especially nice and the curry flavor goes really well with the egg taste. You can add a bit of sweet relish or minced sun-dried tomatoes too if you want to. You might also want to add a couple of drops of Tabasco sauce or a bit of Dijon mustard to spice this deviled eggs recipe up. If you prefer plain deviled eggs, just leave out the curry powder and green onions. Most people will prefer the eggs slightly curried though. More Tips for Curried Deviled Eggs If you don’t have a piping bag to pipe the egg yolk filling .....
- Traditional English Chicken Pot PiesPot pies make a great meal and, being English, I have tried lots of British pot pie recipes. Although some people claim pot pies are not English, I beg to disagree. English chicken pot pies are not only ‘a thing’ but they are yummy! In the UK if you eat ‘pub grub’ or a simple meal in a pub, you can expect at least one kind of pie on the menu. My own favorite is beef and ale pie, although chicken makes a nice change, either paired with corn or with mushrooms. I like either mashed potatoes or fries with mine, along with baked beans or some kind of vegetable. Although large pies which you can cut into wedges are nice, .....
- Easy Winter Appetizer IdeasMost people love to cozy up and relax during the colder months. There’s something about the winter weather that brings people together and gathering around some hearty and easy winter appetizer ideas is a great way to spend that time with friends and family. In the winter, it’s best to serve warm foods, but don’t let that overwhelm you. There are plenty of ways to present a great spread without slaving away in the kitchen for hours. You don’t have to tell anyone how easy the winter appetizer ideas were to prepare! One simple strategy for an appetizer sure to impress is to do fondue. Fondue can be easily customized to your party’s theme .....