Middle Eastern Shakshuka Recipe
Shakshuka is a Middle Eastern tomato, bell pepper and egg dish. Sometimes it is spelt shakshouka. This Middle Eastern shakshuka recipe actually originated in Northern Africa and there are many different variations on the basic theme.
The feta cheese is not a traditional ingredient, for example, but I love to add it because the creamy tang goes so well with the dish. Leave it out if you prefer though.
How to Serve a Middle Eastern Shakshuka Recipe
It is often served for breakfast in Israel with challah or pita on the side. The dish is also good for brunch or lunch. I like it with pita bread, homemade hummus and other Middle Eastern/Israeli/Arabic dishes.
The sauce is made first and that’s easy to prepare on the stove, and then the eggs are gently cracked into the sauce. Finally the skillet goes into the oven so the shakshuka can finish cooking. It is then served hot, with some kind of bread on the side to mop up all the tasty juices.
Good for You Too!
This shakshuka recipe is a healthy dish, boasting the protein form the eggs, the lycopene and antioxidants from the tomatoes, and the vitamin-C from the bell pepper. If you want to make this more substantial add some small lamb meatballs to the sauce. You can also swap the bell pepper for eggplant or grill the peppers first for a richer flavor.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 thinly sliced red bell pepper
- 1 halved, thin-sliced yellow onion
- 3 thinly sliced garlic cloves
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 28 oz (800g) canned chopped tomatoes in juices
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 5 oz (140g) crumbled feta cheese
- 6 large eggs
- Chopped cilantro (fresh coriander leaves), to serve
- Hot sauce, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Heat the oil in an ovenproof skillet over a low-medium heat.
- Add the bell pepper and onion and cook gently for 20 minutes or until tender.
- Add the garlic and cook for a minute or 2.
- Stir in the cayenne, paprika and cumin, and cook 1 more minute.
- Add the tomatoes, salt and black pepper.
- Simmer for 10 minutes then stir in the feta cheese.
- Crack the eggs into the skillet and season with more salt and black pepper.
- Put the skillet in the oven and bake for 8 minutes or until the eggs are set.
- Serve sprinkled with cilantro and offer hot sauce on the side.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Kedgeree Made with Couscous or RiceThis kedgeree recipe is a traditional British breakfast from colonial India, offering a great balance of smoky and spicy flavors. Enjoy this for lunch or dinner. It is also good for breakfast if you fancy something fishy. Yes this dish is usually made with rice but try kedgeree made with couscous if you want something deliciously different. Shrimp and haddock are combined with the rice or couscous and there are hardboiled eggs and onion in there as well, and some lemon juice which brings out the lovely fishy flavors. This kedgeree made with couscous recipe is much simpler to make than you might have thought, so why not try this at the .....
- Amethyst Engagement Rings | 10 of the Most BeautifulAmethyst is a beautiful stone and a great choice for an engagement ring. I’ve found 10 stunning amethyst engagement rings which you are free to drool over! Not everyone wants a classic diamond solitaire. Some women prefer something more unique, which resonates with their personality more than a classic diamond. If you find amethyst magical, mystical or just beautiful consider amethyst engagement ring ideas and see which style resonates with what you personally love. Amethyst is usually a purple color but you can also get a green variety which is even more unusual. You can pair amethyst with white, yellow or rose gold, or even silver or .....
- Friends: The Complete Series CollectionFriends is one of the most successful TV sitcoms ever and it’s won a lot of awards. If you loved Friends when it was on TV you might be thinking about buying Friends the Complete Series so you can enjoy these great episodes all over again. If you have never seen the show you don’t know what you’ve missed! If you did watch it then you’re probably smiling right now, remembering some of the classic episodes. Who Created Friends? The show was created by David Crane and Marta Kauffman, and it aired on NBC from September 22, 1994 through to May 6, 2004. Some More Hot Content For You Authentic Scottsdale Stetson Salad Handy .....
- Five Reasons to Make Your Own Easy Wonton RecipeWontons are both economical and easy to make yourself. You can of course buy readymade wontons or wonton soup, or you can buy it from a Chinese restaurant, but when you do you are cheating yourself. Nothing is as yummy as your homemade wontons. Everyone can rustle up an easy wonton recipe, regardless of cooking ability and experience or lack thereof. The top five reasons to make your own easy wonton recipe, using a time-honored wonton recipe are as follows: 1) Wonton recipes are easy, there is no doubt about it. If you use a single ingredient (applesauce or cream cheese, for example) for the filling, plus readymade wonton wrappers, you will .....
- Potato Wrapped Fish FiletsThis potato wrapped fish filets recipe is something which is easy enough for the home cook to master but will give professional results. If you love fish and potatoes, why not combine them to make this delicious recipe? Whether you are used to tasty stuffed squid recipes and other seafood dishes, or not, you will love this. The potatoes need to be thin enough to wrap around the fish, although you can choose any type of potatoes and any type of fish. Perhaps you love the big flakes cod offers, the economical price of basa fish or tilapia, or the distinctive flavor of salmon. Whichever makes your mouth water would be an ideal candidate for .....
- Amazing Quinoa Burger RecipeThese delicious vegetarian burgers are made with quinoa and beans, ensuring they are hearty and appealing to vegetarians and carnivores alike. Quinoa, pronounced keen-wah, is a tasty grain available in health food stores and, these days, most food markets too. It is great for making everything from side dishes to this delicious quinoa burger recipe. Quinoa is actually a pseudocereal, not a true cereal, since it is not in the grass family. Quinoa is closely related to spinach and beetroot. It is high in protein and can be used to make appetizers, entrees, risotto-type dishes, and even burgers. If you have never cooked with this grain, grab .....
- Best Wine Cooler for the HomeA wine cooler for the home is something you might want to consider. Wine coolers are becoming popular additions as more people include wine with every social gathering. Even if you do not enjoy a daily tipple you can still store your bottles in a cooler until required, then you know it will be the perfect temperature to serve. Not only is wine served for events and parties but as an everyday drink, which is enjoyed throughout the day. Storing the bottles can be a challenge, as you need to ensure that it is chilled correctly and the contents remain in perfect condition. This is why a wine cooler for the home could help. If you do not store .....
- What to Eat with Type 2 DiabetesType 2 diabetes is the most common form of diabetes affecting around 90 – 95 % of the 26 million children and adults with the condition in United States. Hardly surprisingly, controlling the diet is a very important part of looking after yourself. This is why knowing what to eat with Type 2 diabetes is so important. Also known as non-insulin dependent diabetes, it is a chronic condition where the individuals have problems regulating the blood sugar in their body. Those who have high blood sugar are either unable to produce enough insulin or are not responsive to insulin. In recent years the incidence of diabetes has increased, perhaps partly .....
- Simple Zucchini PancakesThese simple zucchini pancakes make a great breakfast and you can make them in advance, so what is not to love about that? Low in calories and fat (especially if you fry them in cooking spray rather than butter or oil) they can be enjoyed with sausage or bacon, or simply as they are, perhaps with some garlic mushrooms on the side or a broiled tomato. Try these simple zucchini pancakes and you will be surprised how great they are. Different Types of Pancakes Pancakes range from thin and crepe-like to thick and fluffy, and different people prefer them different ways. And yes some even prefer these simple zucchini pancakes. Personally I am more .....
- Alpine and German Weather HousesFirst things first… what on Earth is a weather house and why would you use German weather houses? Well, a weather house is a little house in the shape of a Swiss or German chalet, and it is used to indicate the weather. Usually there are 2 side-by-side doors, with a girl in the left one and a boy in the right one. If the weather is supposed to be dry and sunny the girl comes out. If it’s going to be rainy the boy comes out. The boy/girl might be young or they might be man/woman figures depending on the design of the weather house itself. Alpine and German weather houses are all different so you can choose exactly what you prefer. .....