Pastel de Choclo Recipe from Chile
I first tried this amazing corn pie in Chile and immediately fell in love with it. The ingredients might sound a little strange but it’s really good, I promise! Some people use beef while others use chicken. The corn topping on this pastel de choclo recipe is crisp, sticky and sweet and the eggs, black olives and other ingredients lend authenticity.
Side Dish Options
What is a good side dish for our pastel de choclo? Well, I like it with a simple tomato, garlic and onions salad on the side, or you might want to steam some broccoli or another favorite vegetable instead. This keeps well in the refrigerator for a few days and is easy to reheat in the microwave.
What Kind of Corn to Use
Although some people prefer to use fresh corn when making a pastel de choclo recipe, I usually just use the canned kind which is fine in this corn pie as long as you drain it properly. Feel free to adjust the amount of sugar. It helps with the caramelization but my husband is diabetic so I usually use half sugar and half sweetener.
- 1 lb (450g) chopped chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 chopped large yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon ground paprika or chilli powder
- 2 sliced hard-boiled eggs
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 8 halved hulled black olives
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup (125 ml) whole milk
- 28 oz (800g) corn kernels
- 2 tablespoons sliced fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Put the milk and corn in a pan and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Cover and simmer gently for 15 minutes.
- Take the corn off the heat and let it stand for 5 minutes.
- Use a potato masher or immersion blender to puree it until smooth.
- Stir in the basil, sugar, and salt.
- Meanwhile saute the chicken, onion, cumin, salt and paprika or chili until the chicken is cooked through.
- Spoon this mixture into a baking dish or separate ramekins.
- Arrange the eggs, raisins and olives on top.
- Pour over the corn mixture and bake at 400 degrees F (200 degrees C) for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle some sugar on top and broil until caramelized.
You can use creamed corn instead of fresh corn kernels and milk (saves having to mash them) if you wish.
Buy corn in bulk, on Amazon.