The Secret of Crispy Sweet Potato Fries
Sweet potato fries are always good and they pair well with many a snack – with sandwiches, burgers, ribs, or even just some ketchup to dip them in! However, many of us have the problem of homemade sweet potato fries being, well, not crispy enough. That’s why you need to know the secret of crispy sweet potato fries.
I’ve never had real success with my oven baked sweet potato fries but what I have discovered is a great recipe to get them super-crispy using a deep fryer and I am sharing my recipe with you below.
Why Use Sweet Potatoes for Fries
The reason I use sweet potato fries is my husband is diabetic and white potatoes tend to send his blood sugar soaring. Carisma potatoes (the diabetic-friendly potato) don’t fry that great (although they mash like a dream!)
Feel free to tweak the spices you are using. Also, if you don’t have soda water just use plain tap water. I have done that and it doesn’t make a lot of difference to your crispy sweet potato fries.
The batter gives the fries amazing crispness and the seasonings taste amazing in these as well. Serve these crispy sweet potato fries hot alongside your favorite meal and wait for all those compliments to come your way!
- 1 lb (450g) sweet potatoes, cut into ¼ inch (3/4 cm) batons
- 3 cups (750ml) oil, for deep frying
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ cup (70g) cornstarch (cornflour), maybe more
- ⅓ cup (80ml) club soda or plain tap water
- First heat the oil to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) in a deep fryer or heavy pot.
- Whisk the cornstarch and club soda together with the salt, garlic and paprika.
- You might need to add more cornstarch if it's too runny.
- In batches, dip the potatoes into the batter, allow any excess to drip off and hold the uncooked fries on a wire rack.
- Now you can deep fry them, stirring occasionally until golden brown and crispy.
- This will take approximately 8 minutes.
- Grind some salt over them and serve.