Retro Shades and Vintage Sunglasses
So what is the appeal of groovy shades? Shades, or sunglasses, come in many styles and designs, and although there are plenty of modern ones a lot of people like to go for the retro style sunglasses which often appear in vintage clothing stores, and on Amazon and eBay. Consider retro shades if you want a cool look.
Whether you are looking for some classic vintage Chanel sunglasses or something fun made with brightly colored plastic, there are lots of old-fashioned styles you can get, and retro shades are even cooler than a lot of modern ones.
Pick out something that suits the shape of your face as well as your personality and not only can you have something that protects your eyes from the sun, you also get to show off your individuality and make a statement. There are so many different types of vintage sunglasses to choose from and you can enjoy mulling over the different looks and possibilities.
Retro Shades: Classic and Timeless
Retro sunglasses have a timeless appeal whether you like the aviator style or perhaps something cool and gorgeous from the 1950s. Choose from a plastic or metal rim and pick whether you want slightly tinted lenses or blacked out ones. You can even get mirrored glass. There is something for every taste and individual style.
How beautiful are these? If you really want to invest in a stunning pair of sunglasses, it has to be Chanel!
And wearing these on a daily basis (at least if you live somewhere sunny!) means you can show them off and be the envy of your friends. These pink Chanel shades suit pretty much any face shape and you are sure to look like a princess in these lovely sunglasses.
Pink Chanel Sunglasses, on Amazon
Dolce & Gabbana Ladies’ Sunglasses
Choosing a vintage sunglasses type over a super-modern one means you have taste and appreciation for classic looks.
Audrey Hepburn eat your heart out with these gorgeous Dolce Gabbana retro shades.
The smoky brown lenses are less harsh than black ones and this is a style to complement pretty much any face.
The tortoiseshell frames never go out of style and the D&G on the sides will let everyone know you are wearing the very best in sunglasses.
Dolce & Gabbana Sunglasses, on Amazon
Retro Shades: Facts about Sunglasses
Before choosing shades, consider the lens material you will be happiest with. Glass is quite scratch-resistant and also very clear optically, but it’s heavier and if impacted it will spider instead of shattering or chipping.
Retro Polka Dot Sunglasses, on Amazon
NXT polyurethane has great resistance to impacts and is also very clear. It is lightweight and flexible but costs more than some other lens materials. Acrylic is cheap but not so clear as glass or polycarbonate. You will also get some image distortion with it so choose this for occasional use shades or casual usage.
Choose the Right Frame for Retro Shades
It is important to choose the right frame. Metal is easy to adjust but more expensive than other times and will get hot if you leave them in a hot car. They’re not good for high impact activities either.
If you are looking for something unusual, how about these Emmanuelle Khan vintage sunglasses (photo, right) which offer a bold design, square frames and a nostalgic retro look which is sure to complement any vintage outfit choice.
Emmanuelle Khan Vintage Sunglasses Frame, on Amazon
Acetate and Zyl are varieties of plastic and you can get all kinds of colors. These aren’t meant for high activity sports either. Nylon is cheap and light, and more durable than metal, although you can’t adjust it like metal.
Good frames should fit well on your nose and ears without rubbing or feeling like they pinch. The weight needs to be distributed between your nose and ears and the frames should not cause too much friction. Don’t have a frame or glass which touches your eyelashes. If you are buying online then look for ‘fits large faces’ or ‘fits smaller faces’ in the description if in doubt.
Retro Shades: Which Tint to Choose
Sunglasses are tinted to cut down on brightness so you can see more clearly but there are different tints. Choose yellow or amber for overall brightness especially in low light situations. They are good for snow sports and will enhance contrasts in flat light conditions. Brown, green or gray will cut down on brightness without color distortion. Use these in quite bright conditions.
Mirrored shades have a reflective film on the outside and they reflect glare. Rose-tinted shades are good for low light visibility and they enhance contrast. They also make it easier to see shades against green or blue backgrounds which is why drivers like them. Wraparound lenses block more light from the side but not everyone likes this style.
More expensive sunglasses have more coating layers, perhaps a water-repellant layer, an anti-fog coating and an anti-scratch one. Polarized lenses are good if you are sensitive to glare or do water sports because the filters in such lenses block light reflecting off flat surfaces.
“Since The Matrix, I can’t wear sunglasses. When I put them on people recognize me”
– Carrie-Anne Mos
Retro Shades: Just Remember
Sunglasses are an individual choice, and different styles suit different people. Forget what everyone else is wearing and choose a pair that resonates with you!
Some people love retro aviator glasses or will pick what a certain celebrity is wearing and other people always go for yellow-tinted glasses or polarized glass because that is what they like. You can’t ever have too many shades though so why not collect a few funky pairs? Then you will always have a great pair of shades for every outfit?
Some More Hot Content For You
- Herring, Potato and Dill Salad RecipeFish and potatoes have been served together for centuries and dill complements both of them. Sour cream, mayonnaise and gherkins finish off this delicious fish starter recipe perfectly. This herring, potato and dill salad recipe is easy to make and suits any occasion. Simple But a Nice Balance There are not many ingredients in this tasty herring recipe and that is because they would be unnecessary. This is a perfectly balanced dish and one of our more interesting starter recipes. Herrings are delicious and if you want ideas for fish starters, this is well worth considering......
- New Pasta Recipes to TryThere is so much you can do with pasta, and also so many kinds to choose from. White or whole wheat pasta, penne, spaghetti, pasta twists, linguine… the list goes on. You can make hot recipes such as baked pasta dishes, or chilled ones like a salad. You can serve it as an entree or side dish, and there are many new pasta recipes to try. Pasta is economical and filling, and there are plenty of wonderful Italian recipes using it. Try the big noodles to make lasagna, long pasta like linguine or spaghetti to serve with a meaty sauce, or pasta shapes to make pasta salad or to cling to a thick sauce. Quick and Easy Pasta Recipes If you want .....
- How to Make Rice SaladLearning how to make rice salad is very easy and there are so many different ways you can prepare this delicious dish. Rice salad is perfect for lunch or as part of a buffet, and you can also serve it alongside steak or with chicken or fish. Absolutely anyone can make rice salad recipes and once you are familiar with the recipe you can experiment with other ingredients to make the dish taste different. How to Make Rice Salad: Simple Yet Perfect There are not many steps you need to make this dish, which is why it is so simple. If you enjoy being creative in the kitchen you will love making it because you can be imaginative with what goes into .....
- How to Griddle Chicken BreastThe griddle is a fantastic tool which I often use in the kitchen for cooking not only chicken but steak, fish and vegetables too. You need less fat than if you were to shallow fry or saute, and can expect attractive griddle marks, either lines or crisscross, depending how you turn the chicken while it is cooking. Learning how to griddle chicken breast is so easy and worthwhile. A nice cast iron griddle pan is a worthwhile investment, and since you can cook all kinds of meat, poultry, seafood, vegetables, and even some kinds of cheese (like halloumi) in there, you will find yourself using it frequently. Griddled Chicken Breast Uses One of the .....
- Rune Stones – A Beginner’s GuideWhat are rune stones? Well, rune stones, or runes as they are also known, are a system of communication, decision making and divination. There are 24 runes in a set and they are like an alphabet of the North and North Central Europe. To Buy or Make Rune Stones You can buy runes from New Age shops or online, but a lot of people like to make their own, and you can use stones or discs made from wood. Rune stones are often engraved but some are painted or drawn on instead. One way to make your own runes would be to find 24 similar size pebbles or cut 24 discs out of wood, and write on each one with a black marker pen......
- Chinese Chicken SaladChinese chicken salad is a tasty, nutritious option and it makes a wonderful lunch. Perhaps you usually have ranch dressing, blue cheese dressing or Italian dressing over mixed leaves and you are getting tired of it. Or it could be you are simply looking for new lunch inspiration. Whichever is the case, this Chinese chicken salad is very simple to prepare and the flavors work wonderfully together. What is Chinese Chicken Salad? You can use a julienne peeler to cut the vegetables into matchstick shapes, or if you don’t have one cut them by hand. We are using romaine and baby leaves in this dish too, along with grilled chicken, edamame .....
- Spanish Paprika ChickenChicken is a popular ingredient in Mediterranean cuisine, and this Spanish inspired recipe makes the most of chicken thighs, a naturally juicy, flavor-packed part of the bird. Chicken thighs tend to be more economical than chicken breasts, and they also offer more juiciness and a richer flavor, so you have a win-win situation if you choose to buy them and use them in this Spanish paprika chicken recipe. Look out for discounted ones because they freeze beautifully. What to Use in Spanish Paprika Chicken We are adding onion and garlic to our Spanish paprika chicken, along with red wine vinegar, tomato paste, mustard, paprika, chicken stock and .....
- Easy Lamb Shanks with Garlic and HerbsLamb shanks are always good although they tend to be more expensive nowadays than before. Go back a few years and the price was much lower, the reason being well-known chefs are beginning to serve lamb shank recipes in their restaurants, pushing up the price. This easy lamb shanks with garlic recipe is reminiscent of classic lamb shank dishes. Never mind about the price being more than it was. Lamb shanks are not prohibitively expensive, they make a great dish, they are easy to cook and the meat, when cooked properly, is falling-apart tender and oh so flavorful. I like to cook easy lamb shanks with garlic often and I tend to cook them in the .....
- Baked Chicken Wings with Paprika and CayenneThese baked chicken wings are so good. If you are in the mood for chicken wings but you don’t want to fry them, try this recipe instead because they come out just as crispy as fried wings but are healthier because they aren’t going to be submerged in fat. A Flavorful Coating for Baked Chicken Wings The coating is made with flour, paprika, garlic salt, pepper and cayenne, and the wings are cooked in a little butter to crisp them up and stop them sticking to the baking dish. Swap the cayenne pepper for Hungarian paprika if you want, or the garlic salt for regular salt and a pinch of garlic powder, and the flavor of our baked .....
- Carrot and Chestnut Soup RecipeCarrot is an ingredient which is used in many different soup recipes and if you make this delicious carrot and chestnut soup recipe, you will discover that it is very tasty alongside chestnuts too. This is a rich and creamy soup as well as being vitamin-rich and very healthy as well. Why Carrot and Chestnut? Carrot and orange soup is a popular type but carrot and chestnut is not so well known. If you often make popular soups such as chicken noodle soup, potato soup, pumpkin soup or beef and tomato soups, why not try this carrot and chestnut soup recipe for a change?.....