Retro Shades and Vintage Sunglasses
So what is the appeal of groovy shades? Shades, or sunglasses, come in many styles and designs, and although there are plenty of modern ones a lot of people like to go for the retro style sunglasses which often appear in vintage clothing stores, and on Amazon and eBay. Consider retro shades if you want a cool look.
Whether you are looking for some classic vintage Chanel sunglasses or something fun made with brightly colored plastic, there are lots of old-fashioned styles you can get, and retro shades are even cooler than a lot of modern ones.
Pick out something that suits the shape of your face as well as your personality and not only can you have something that protects your eyes from the sun, you also get to show off your individuality and make a statement. There are so many different types of vintage sunglasses to choose from and you can enjoy mulling over the different looks and possibilities.
Retro Shades: Classic and Timeless
Retro sunglasses have a timeless appeal whether you like the aviator style or perhaps something cool and gorgeous from the 1950s. Choose from a plastic or metal rim and pick whether you want slightly tinted lenses or blacked out ones. You can even get mirrored glass. There is something for every taste and individual style.
How beautiful are these? If you really want to invest in a stunning pair of sunglasses, it has to be Chanel!
And wearing these on a daily basis (at least if you live somewhere sunny!) means you can show them off and be the envy of your friends. These pink Chanel shades suit pretty much any face shape and you are sure to look like a princess in these lovely sunglasses.
Pink Chanel Sunglasses, on Amazon
Dolce & Gabbana Ladies’ Sunglasses
Choosing a vintage sunglasses type over a super-modern one means you have taste and appreciation for classic looks.
Audrey Hepburn eat your heart out with these gorgeous Dolce Gabbana retro shades.
The smoky brown lenses are less harsh than black ones and this is a style to complement pretty much any face.
The tortoiseshell frames never go out of style and the D&G on the sides will let everyone know you are wearing the very best in sunglasses.
Dolce & Gabbana Sunglasses, on Amazon
Retro Shades: Facts about Sunglasses
Before choosing shades, consider the lens material you will be happiest with. Glass is quite scratch-resistant and also very clear optically, but it’s heavier and if impacted it will spider instead of shattering or chipping.
Retro Polka Dot Sunglasses, on Amazon
NXT polyurethane has great resistance to impacts and is also very clear. It is lightweight and flexible but costs more than some other lens materials. Acrylic is cheap but not so clear as glass or polycarbonate. You will also get some image distortion with it so choose this for occasional use shades or casual usage.
Choose the Right Frame for Retro Shades
It is important to choose the right frame. Metal is easy to adjust but more expensive than other times and will get hot if you leave them in a hot car. They’re not good for high impact activities either.
If you are looking for something unusual, how about these Emmanuelle Khan vintage sunglasses (photo, right) which offer a bold design, square frames and a nostalgic retro look which is sure to complement any vintage outfit choice.
Emmanuelle Khan Vintage Sunglasses Frame, on Amazon
Acetate and Zyl are varieties of plastic and you can get all kinds of colors. These aren’t meant for high activity sports either. Nylon is cheap and light, and more durable than metal, although you can’t adjust it like metal.
Good frames should fit well on your nose and ears without rubbing or feeling like they pinch. The weight needs to be distributed between your nose and ears and the frames should not cause too much friction. Don’t have a frame or glass which touches your eyelashes. If you are buying online then look for ‘fits large faces’ or ‘fits smaller faces’ in the description if in doubt.
Retro Shades: Which Tint to Choose
Sunglasses are tinted to cut down on brightness so you can see more clearly but there are different tints. Choose yellow or amber for overall brightness especially in low light situations. They are good for snow sports and will enhance contrasts in flat light conditions. Brown, green or gray will cut down on brightness without color distortion. Use these in quite bright conditions.
Mirrored shades have a reflective film on the outside and they reflect glare. Rose-tinted shades are good for low light visibility and they enhance contrast. They also make it easier to see shades against green or blue backgrounds which is why drivers like them. Wraparound lenses block more light from the side but not everyone likes this style.
More expensive sunglasses have more coating layers, perhaps a water-repellant layer, an anti-fog coating and an anti-scratch one. Polarized lenses are good if you are sensitive to glare or do water sports because the filters in such lenses block light reflecting off flat surfaces.
“Since The Matrix, I can’t wear sunglasses. When I put them on people recognize me”
– Carrie-Anne Mos
Retro Shades: Just Remember
Sunglasses are an individual choice, and different styles suit different people. Forget what everyone else is wearing and choose a pair that resonates with you!
Some people love retro aviator glasses or will pick what a certain celebrity is wearing and other people always go for yellow-tinted glasses or polarized glass because that is what they like. You can’t ever have too many shades though so why not collect a few funky pairs? Then you will always have a great pair of shades for every outfit?
Some More Hot Content For You
- Cauli Rice with Orange, Lime and CilantroCauliflower rice, or cauli rice as it is affectionately known, is a wonderful substitute for rice, offering a mere fraction of the calories and carbs or rice, yet offering a very similar texture and a neutral flavor. You can do so much with it and there are plenty of cauliflower rice recipes to choose from. This cauli rice with orange, lime and cilantro recipe is easy to prepare and it’s yummy! I like to use a medium or strong-flavored sauce to disguise the cauliflower flavor – not that cauliflower has much of a taste at all, but just to make it as rice-like as possible. Try Chinese rice with cauliflower instead of rice, or .....
- Delish Fish Crack SlawI love trying new ways of making crackslaw, and fish makes a nice, light alternative to meat. Of course, it is carb-free just like meat is, and you can choose anything between sole for a light flavor or cod for a richer flavor. I really enjoyed this fish crack slaw and want to make it often. There are plenty of other types of fish you can use in fish crack slaw as well and examples that come to my mind include tilapia, snapper, halibut, monkfish, dogfish, basa fish, and haddock. As long as it’s skinless and boneless it will work. Don’t use imitation seafood in fish crack slaw though, like those imitation crab pieces or crab .....
- Thai Stuffed Squid SoupThis Thai stuffed squid soup recipe is a favorite of mine. It is very special because of its simplicity. Although this Thai stuffed squid soup dish is rarely found on a restaurant menu you quickly and easily prepare it yourself. You need some chicken or pork bouillon, and homemade is best if possible. If you do not have homemade bouillon then make sure you use a high quality one. The filling for the squid is made with pork, soy sauce, black pepper and garlic, and you will need smallish squid for this, no more than a couple inches long. When you have stuffed the squid it is time to warm up your bouillon and then you poach the squid in there .....
- How to Cook Fresh MusselsLearn how to cook fresh mussels and you will be able to prepare this delicious seafood whenever you’re in the mood. Mussels can be purchased or you can pick your own, depending of course where you live. If you are collecting your own then ensure the water is unpolluted. Mussels are nicer during the colder months which are not in the breeding season. If you are shopping for them, then shop around and choose ones with tightly closed shells. When cooked, you will want juicy, plump flesh and the taste of the sea. Mussels are white if male and orange if female, so color does not indicate freshness. Knowing how to cook fresh mussels means .....
- Simple Zucchini PancakesThese simple zucchini pancakes make a great breakfast and you can make them in advance, so what is not to love about that? Low in calories and fat (especially if you fry them in cooking spray rather than butter or oil) they can be enjoyed with sausage or bacon, or simply as they are, perhaps with some garlic mushrooms on the side or a broiled tomato. Try these simple zucchini pancakes and you will be surprised how great they are. Different Types of Pancakes Pancakes range from thin and crepe-like to thick and fluffy, and different people prefer them different ways. And yes some even prefer these simple zucchini pancakes. Personally I am more .....
- Review of Every Yankee Candle Tart ScentI love Yankee Candle Tart Wax Melts and can’t seem to stop buying them! Since I have tried pretty much every scent, I thought I would share my Yankee Candle Tart scent reviews with you, to inspire you to try new scents and discover a new favorite perhaps. I have an electronic tart burner as well as a tea-light one, and my husband and I both like trying new fragrances in our home. The first time I ever tried using wax tart melts was when I found a bargain set in one of the local shops here in Holland including a tea-light burner and a few small melts. They were unbranded and didn’t smell that appealing but I liked the concept and .....
- Beautiful Large Opal RingsOpals are a magical stone and no other stone looks like them. The fire in an opal is truly amazing and setting an opal on a silver or gold ring showcases the stone’s beauty to perfection. I love large opal rings and can’t get enough of their gorgeous fire. Do you already have an opal ring or are you just curious about the different types of opals or the different opal ring settings you can choose from? Because, really, there are lots of large opal rings to choose from, and you are going to be spoilt for choice. I was, when I was shopping for mine. I have gathered together lots of different opal rings all in one place so you can .....
- Chicken Fajitas RecipeHere in this excellent chicken fajitas recipe, we are pairing spiced chicken with delicious veggies, soft tortillas and whichever condiments you want to add. It makes a lovely dinner for any occasion. Although a lot of people assume fajitas are Mexican they are actually Tex-Mex. The word ‘fajita’ refers to barbequed meat which is served on a tortilla. Onions and bell peppers usually feature in these recipes, along with lettuce, sour cream, salsa or pico de gallo, tomato, and/or guacamole. Skirt steak is the original meat used to make a chicken fajitas recipe, and this tough cut of beef which is amazing when slow cooked has soared .....
- Traditional English Scones RecipeBeing from Devon, in southwest England, it goes without saying I am fond of English scones and know a good traditional English scones recipe. Served with clotted cream and then jam on top (or jam and then clotted cream if you are from Cornwall rather than Devon), these wonderfully delicious little treats are best served with a pot of strong tea. English Scones vs. American Scones British scones are not the same as American ones which have more butter in the mix compared to flour than the British ones. This is why the traditional English scones recipe differs. Because butter is usually added before the cream and jam, less butter is used in .....
- Stuffed Mini Peppers with Goat CheeseThese stuffed mini peppers with goat cheese make an incredible appetizer and my husband and I both love them. Where we live we can buy them in different varieties – some are sweet while others are spicy. One store uses the pointy end of spicy chilies as their ‘mini’ peppers while others use mini sweet peppers, mostly red but sometimes green or yellow. Green is more savory while yellow (and orange to a lesser extent) is sweeter. Whichever peppers you use in this stuffed mini peppers with goat cheese recipe, the flavor of these little bites is going to be fantastic. See what they sell in your local food market and decide .....