Best Julienne Peelers
Everyone needs one of the best julienne peelers in their kitchen drawer in 2017! One of these little gadgets will glide effortlessly over your vegetables to peel them or give you matchstick-thin pieces or little strips.
Use these for making coleslaw, for prepping veggies for a salad or for making matching shapes for another use. You can also stir-fry or saute them and they cook very quickly when they are cut so finely.
When reading reviews for these the main thing is how well the device in question works, and also how easy it is to use. There are different ones to choose from and whichever one you choose depends how often you plan to use it and your budget.
You should compare a few different ones before you make your final choice as to which of the best julienne peelers are for you, and bear in mind shopping online for such a gadget is cheaper than buying from a kitchen store. Once you have a great julienne peeler you will find yourself using it all the time to cut perfect julienne veggies for all kinds of recipes.
Perfect Peeler Ideas
Forgot time-consuming, fiddly cutting with a knife. You need the best julienne peelers. Although you can use a knife to cut your veggies it takes so long, and it is almost impossible to get the strips the same thickness and width.
Well it is impossible to get them absolutely identical of course.
If you want matchstick lengths of zucchini or carrot to make coleslaw, thin strips of vegetables for a stir-fry or ‘vegetable’ spaghetti strips, all you need is one of these little gadgets because you will have your vegetable strips in next to no time. Just whip the gadget across the surface and shred in record time.
If you’re making food for a crowd this is exactly the speedy kind of prep time you will want to have, especially if you have a number of things to make at the same time.
Best Rated Julienne Peeler, on Amazon
Try mixing these veggie matchsticks to make a stir-fry or even a healthy crackslaw recipe – yummy!
Try it for making Parmesan strips and curls, or even make chocolate curls to add a homemade touch to your favorite dessert. This nifty little gadget is small, economical and very versatile. All of them are good and you can get a great one for under $10. No need to spend a fortune!
How to Make Carrot Matchsticks
Don’t worry – if you need to slice your carrots into matchsticks for a recipe (also known as a ‘Frenched’ cut) you can do it with just a knife instead of one of the best julienne peelers.
Ensure your knife is perfectly sharp. If in doubt then sharpen it using some kind of knife sharpener.
This basic knife cut is 1/8 by 1/8 by 2 1/2 inches so that is the shape you need to get your vegetable pieces.
First cut off the ends off the carrot then cut it into 1 to 2 inch sections. Slice one side lengthwise and put the cut side face-down so it won’t slide when you slice it.
Ultra-Sharp Julienne Peeler, on Amazon
Cut the carrot into thin slices lengthwise then stack a few on top of one another and slice again lengthwise.
You will get thin matchstick shapes. OK so they might not be as perfect as if you were using a cutter, but the result will be pretty good and you will get better at this the more you do.
- 1 lb 10 oz (725g) green cabbage
- 2.5 oz (70g) yellow peppers
- 2.5 oz (70g) red onions
- ½ lb (225g) red cabbage
- 2.5 oz (70g) carrots
- 1.5 oz (40g) white sugar
- 2.5 oz (70g) cider vinegar
- ½ oz (15g) horseradish
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- ½ teaspoon celery seed
- 5 oz (140g) mayonnaise
- ¼ oz brown mustard
- 5 oz sour cream or creme fraiche
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Tabasco, to taste
- Julienne cut all the veggies using a gadget or by hand.
- Combine the carrots, cabbage, onion and peppers.
- Combine the sugar, celery seed and mustard.
- Add the remaining dressing ingredients.
- Gently stir the cabbage mix into the dressing, then chill until required.
- This will keep for several days in the refrigerator.
Photo courtesy of RF Duck, on Flickr
How to Make “Spaghetti” out of Zucchini
Yes, zucchini spaghetti – low calorie and yummy! This is why you need one of the best julienne peelers in your kitchen! Wash a zucchini (courgette in GB English) and then cut a thin slide off the side, so it sits flat on the cutting board. Hold it with one hand and have the peeler in the other hand.
Scrape the peeler lengthwise up the zucchini and repeat until you have used it all. You will end up with a bowl of zucchini strips.
Stir-fry them, boil them for a couple of minutes or microwave on HIGH for 2 minutes. You want them to be tender but still with a little bit of bite. Don’t let them get too soft.
Finishing Them Off
Drain the “spaghetti” (or voodles as they are also known) and toss with salt and pepper, then you can top them with your favorite spaghetti sauce, perhaps adding some meatballs too. This makes a wonderful low-calorie spaghetti alternative, and believe me you won’t miss the pasta! Look at the best julienne peelers and choose one you’ll want to use all the time.
Why not take a look at:
Some More Hot Content For You
- Beautiful Large Opal RingsOpals are a magical stone and no other stone looks like them. The fire in an opal is truly amazing and setting an opal on a silver or gold ring showcases the stone’s beauty to perfection. I love large opal rings and can’t get enough of their gorgeous fire. Do you already have an opal ring or are you just curious about the different types of opals or the different opal ring settings you can choose from? Because, really, there are lots of large opal rings to choose from, and you are going to be spoilt for choice. I was, when I was shopping for mine. I have gathered together lots of different opal rings all in one place so you can .....
- Authentic Pasta con le Sarde RecipePasta con le sarde is a typical Sicilian dish. The name translates to mean ‘pasta with sardines’ and the sardines along with fennel are the main 2 ingredients in there, those which give it the characteristic taste. Saffron, currants or raisins, pine nuts, and toasted almonds or capers also enrich the dish, offering a unique and special flavor in the finished meal. There are different pasta con le sarde recipes, some of which include tomato pulp and others which do not. Some are finished off in the oven for a few minutes so the pasta can finish cooking in there. When to Make a Pasta con le Sarde Recipe Make this pasta con le sarde .....
- Starter Recipes for All SeasonsThere is no rule that you have to serve cold starters in the spring or summer and nor is there a rule to say you have to serve thick, warming ones in the winter months. However, it can be nice to match them to the seasons as well as to your guests and the main course. You will find there are starter recipes for all seasons if you want to use seasonal produce to make the most delicious appetizers. For example, if the weather is warm your guests might fancy something light and refreshing and that goes for the drinks as well as the food. If the weather is cold, a hearty soup recipe or something hot, crispy and spicy might be well appreciated. .....
- Quick ‘n Easy Lemon and Lime SalmonThis is an incredibly easy recipe and a great way to prepare salmon. Here we are adding lemon and lime juice to the fish, along with lemon and lime zest if you like. You could stick to either lemon or lime or, like I prefer to do, use some of each for a more interesting flavor in this lemon and lime salmon recipe. Add the zest too if you want, to add more citrus flavor to the salmon and also to add a decorative touch. Last time I made this lemon and lime salmon recipe, I sprinkled some Old Bay seasoning over the salmon. I wasn’t sure whether my husband would like it because he hates celery and celery seed is a major ingredient in Old .....
- Easy Pakora RecipeBefore we go into the details of our easy pakora recipe you might be wondering what is pakora exactly. That is a very good question! Pakoras are made by combining grated or finely chopped vegetables (and perhaps other ingredients) with Indian spices, then cooking the results in little balls until crispy, either frying or baking them. Hot and Typically Indian This crispy Indian snack is best served hot. There are different types of pakora, and you can use meat to make it or even keep it vegetarian. These treats may be served alongside other Indian favorites, such as a chicken curry and rice, or you can enjoy them as an appetizer. Some people .....
- Wonton Making SuppliesSo what exactly do you need for making wontons? Well, wonton wrappers (also known as wonton skins or wonton papers) are crucial. Unless you decide to make your own of course! You will need some wonton making supplies in order to make delicious wontons. You will also need your chosen ingredients for the filling and that might be anything from minced pork, beef or chicken to cheese, vegetables or, if you want to make dessert wontons, chocolate, caramel, bananas, apple and other goodies. Wonton wrappers have a neutral flavor so they are equally well suited to spicy, mild or even sweet fillings. Some More Hot Content For You Greek Lamb Pasta .....
- Couscous Salad with Parsley and LimeThis is such a refreshing salad and it’s easy to make. We are using regular couscous but if you like Israeli couscous that is also fine, or you could consider bulgar wheat for a result for like tabbouleh. This couscous salad with parsley and lime is zingy, refreshing and really tasty. The key to making a good couscous salad is freshness. I find the more fresh ingredients it contains the better it is, so grab some tomatoes, cucumber, parsley and limes, along with the other ingredients, and you will be able to rustle up this delicious dish and experience all the amazing fresh flavors the way they are supposed to be enjoyed. How to Serve .....
- Chicken Wonton Soup with CabbageThis flavorful chicken wonton soup with cabbage also has green onions, sesame oil and more. If you are looking for an alternative to pork wonton soup recipes you might enjoy this one. You can make the filling up to 2 days in advance if you like. This flavorful chicken wonton soup recipe makes a healthy dinner or a warming lunch and you can even enjoy it as a snack in the middle of the morning of afternoon, whenever you aren’t ready for a meal but you want something more substantial than just a cup of coffee, which is not going to fill you up too much but still warm your belly and put a smile on your face. Chicken wonton soup recipes .....
- How to Cook Prime Rib for Juicy ResultsPrime rib is often called the king of beef cuts, and if you like your beef juicy, tender and delicious, you might like to learn more about how to cook prime rib yourself at home. Also known as a standing rib roast, prime rib is marbled with fat to keep it succulent, and it is very easy to cook too. You just need to start it in the oven on a high temperature to brown it nicely, then turn the oven down so it can finish cooking without the meat drying out. The center of your prime rib roast should be pink or red while the thinner tail-ends will be brown and more done. This is good because people get to choose if they want their meat .....
- Beautiful Pandora Charm Bracelet IdeasPretty much every girl and woman knows about Pandora charm bracelets, and there is no doubt these are an exciting piece of jewelry. You can choose from silver or gold, pick out the charms that mean something special to you, and change them whenever you like, perhaps considering green and red charms around Christmas time, romantic pink ones for Valentine’s, fun summer ones for the summer, and so on. There are lots of Pandora charm bracelet ideas regardless of your personal style. Perhaps you want to buy a baby-related charm when you have a child or another one. Let your Pandora charm bracelet tell the story of your life and give it .....