Best Sci-Fi Movies of 2014
Now that 2014 is well over half a year behind us, all the best sci-fi movies of 2014 are available on DVD, so rather than going to the cinema, why not curl up with some popcorn and a DVD this evening? I love this genre and managed to see plenty of movies last year. My husband doesn’t mind the genre but it’s me who is the real fan, so I’m going to share with you my top sci-fi movie recommendations!
When I think about 2014’s best movies, this one comes to mind first. I just loved it. I saw it on a plane so it wasn’t like watching it on ‘the big screen’ but with movies this good, it barely matters. Interstellar is nearly 3 hours long and it’s about a team of explorers traveling through a wormhole in space to try and ensure the survival of humanity.
The planet Earth has been devastated by famine and drought, along with extreme climate changes. A tear in the space-time continuum is discovered and a group of explorers have to search for a planet which can sustain life.
The pilot must decide between seeing his kids again and saving the human race, and there are plenty of twists and turns. If you’re only going to see one 2014 sci-fi movie, make sure it’s Interstellar! This is one of the best sci-fi movies of 2014 for sure.
Another one of the best sci-fi movies of 2014 is Lucy. My husband and I went to see Lucy at the local cinema and we both loved the story. Scarlett Johansson plays Lucy, a girl asked to deliver a mysterious briefcase. She is captured and forced to become a drug mule for a new synthetic drug.
The bag she is carrying in her stomach leaks and her body undergoes incredible changes that start to unlock the full potential of her brain including abilities such as telepathy and telekinesis. She uses her new powers to get back at her captors, enlisting the help of a neurologist to help her.
There has been some criticism about the movie getting its facts wrong (in fact it’s a myth we don’t use all our brain) but forget all that and just enjoy Lucy for what it is, and that is a fast-paced, exciting sci-fi movie which is great from beginning to end. A worthy addition to the best sci-fi movies of 2014 list.
Another excellent sci-fi movie from last year, Divergent is set in a future dystopia. Society is divided into 5 factions, each of which represents a different virtue, and teens must decide whether to stay in their own faction or go into another, for the rest of their lives.
There is a highly competitive initiation process including extreme psychological and physical tests. Tris Prior is a Divergent however, meaning she doesn’t fit into just one group. This would mean certain death if anyone finds out.
Tris discovers a conflict threatening to unravel the society, and she must use her divergence to try and save the people she loves. This is a great movie with a strong cast. The concept is good and the movie itself has plenty of action. It’s a bit the Hunger Games in some ways I think, and one of the best sci-fi movies of 2014.
Edge of Tomorrow
Is this one a good contender for the best sci-fi movies of 2014 list? I believe it is. If aliens are your bag, take a look at this one. Edge of Tomorrow is about an alien race coming to the planet Earth with an assault no military unit on the globe is prepared for. Major William Cage is dropped into what can be called a suicide mission.
He is soon killed and then finds himself in a time loop, forcing him to live out the combat over and over, fighting and then dying again and again. He finds himself able to engage the adversaries with more and more skill each time and, with Special Forces warrior Rita Vrataski, gets stronger fighting the aliens, and using his new-found skills to find new ways to fight them.
The director of this movie says it’s a bit like Groundhog Day meets Starship Troopers, a pretty apt description. The fact Tom Cruise is in it also makes it great. Have you ever seen a bad Tom Cruise movie? I don’t think I have!
How Realistic are Sci-Fi Movies?
To be honest, I am usually happy to overlook any gaping flaws in the plot although there are people who say “well THAT wouldn’t happen! That isn’t realistic!” and I just think, why criticize when it’s sci-fi? Sci-fi is basically a fantasty storyline blending the ‘what if’ type of scenario with the ‘what is’ and ending up with a brand new concept. Else the best sci-fi movies of 2014 list would be a lot shorter.
Sci-fi = science fiction, after all, to use its full name. The science part is the factual part while the fiction part is the artistic licence. Yes, maybe Lucy was already using 100% of her brain and it would be impossible for any kind of futuristic drug to do to her what it did in that movie but honestly, so what? Sticking strictly to the facts would have made for a much duller movie!
Some sci-fi movies, especially the ones about robots, might depict at least somewhat accurately the future. Go back a couple hundred years. If someone had dared suggest man would be able to use a ‘flying machine’ to get from Paris to New York he would be locked up in an asylum for being crazy! As for space travel, finding new inhabitable planets, well – never say never.
Could the Best Sci-fi Movies of 2014 Become Reality?
Nobody knows what the future has in store for us, as scary as that is. But sci-fi movies aren’t about accurate space reporting. They’re about turning ideas into movies and having fun with certain concepts. I am interested in space and astronomy but I’m also interested in sci-fi. The key is keeping these things separate in your mind. If you go to see a movie and you end up thinking well that couldn’t happen, and that isn’t realistic, and oh that couldn’t happen either, you’re setting yourself up for a disappointing couple of hours. Indulge in the pure fantasy of sci-fi and the movie will be that much better.
There are serious websites you can visit if you are interested in learning more about space or if you are a technical student or simply looking for facts about satellites, space stations and the like, and then there are fun space websites if you want bite-size chunks of space facts, space trivia and a gentle introduction to the wonders above us, and then there are sci-fi movies, created for fun and entertainment.
There’s nothing wrong with liking all of those as long as long as you realize sci-fi movies are simply where the ‘what could be’ meet pure creativity and imagination!
If you’ve already seen the above best sci-fi movies of 2014, then congratulations, but if you managed to miss any of them, it’s not too late to see them on DVD or even download them and enjoy them at your leisure.
My Top 4 best sci-fi movies of 2014 were based on movies I liked but yours might be different. Have I forgotten about your favorite sci-fi movie of 2014? If so, leave me a comment below. I’m always on the lookout for recommended sci-fi movies!
- Oven Baked Turkey Burgers with FetaMaking a change from your usual burgers perhaps, these boast the lighter flavor of turkey. We are adding lemon and oregano for flavor, and stuffing the oven baked turkey burgers with feta cheese for a wonderful tang. The mint-cucumber dressing with these oven baked turkey burgers adds a Mediterranean touch, and you just need to combine equal parts of yogurt and grated cucumber to make it, adding in some fresh mint too. Oven baking these burgers is simple although you may pan-fry them if you prefer, or even pop them on the barbecue if it’s fired up already. If you wish to prepare the patties in advance you can just leave them in the .....
- Best Ceramic Butter DishesThere are many additions that you can add to your tableware which will enhance your dining experience, including ceramic butter dishes. A ceramic butter dish is a traditional way of storing your butter, which will ensure that it remains in excellent condition. Blue Bird Ceramic Butter Dish, on Amazon Butter is a perfect accompaniment to many different dishes so it is common to have it on the table while eating. This is why investing in ceramic butter dishes is a great idea so you can present the butter in something attractive rather than just in the package or on a saucer. Serving butter at the correct temperature is an art form, and you may .....
- Gluten Free Grilled Lettuce with Goat Cheese RecipeThis grilled lettuce with goat cheese is a delicious starter recipe and is ideal for people who can’t eat gluten. This might be a simple recipe but it tastes really good. You might not have cooked lettuce before but it is perfect in this delicious gluten free recipe. Grilled Lettuce with Goat Cheese: Uh, Cooked Lettuce – Really? Yes, you really can cook lettuce and not end up with a watery mess in the pan. That does not apply to all lettuce though and you will need to choose something which holds its shape quite well like Little Gem or Romaine. The lettuce just needs to be heated up and crisped on the surface touching the pan. .....
- Best Cajun Chicken Pasta RecipeAre you in the mood for Cajun cuisine or something Italian? This Cajun chicken pasta recipe offers the best of both worlds. Pasta is an Italian favorite of course, and Cajun seasoning just brings out the beauty of the chicken and the pasta, resulting in a dish you will adore. You might have enjoyed something similar before or perhaps the combination of Italian and Cajun is a brand new treat for your palate. Either way you will certainly enjoy this tasty dish. This is simple enough for beginner cooks to master and once you have made it you will be sure to want to make it again. The following recipe makes enough for 2 people so you can easily .....
- Hot Cherry Pit Pillow ReviewI love my hot cherry pit pillow and use it all the time. A couple of weeks ago I slept in a strange position on a flight and ended up with not only a crick in my neck but also really stiff shoulders. I remembered I had given my mother a hot cherry pit pillow for her birthday a year back and thought something warm on my shoulders would feel nice. It’s hard to keep a hot water bottle in that position but a long, thin shaped pillow would be perfect, so I placed an order and it came the following day. I was very excited to open it, heat it up and enjoy the wonderful feeling!.....
- Spanakopita Greek Spinach PieThis amazing Greek dish is famed not only in Greece but anywhere in the world there are Greek people or Greek restaurants. I personally love Spanakopita Greek spinach pie and one slice is never enough! The joy of Spanakopita Greek spinach pie is that it is made with phyllo pastry. Adding melted butter between the pastry layers makes it really flaky and tasty. The filling is spinach, egg, 2 kinds of cheese, onion and parsley, and the flavor is simply amazing. You can either make triangular servings or one large Spanakopita Greek spinach pie which is cut into slices. The method is the same but the large pie will take about twice the time to .....
- Warm Spinach Salad with Bacon and ShallotsHow does a warm spinach salad with bacon and shallots sound to you? This is a really satisfying recipe, and one of those you will be happy you made. Here, spinach is teamed with spinach and shallots, as well as garlic, nutmeg and even some hard-boiled egg if you like. Go ahead and add all your favorite ingredients to this warm spinach salad with bacon and shallots. Go ahead and personalize this salad as much as you want. It is going to taste great anyway. The result is a salad which is ideal for the cooler months and can be served alongside any meat, poultry or even seafood dish. Or you can enjoy the warm spinach salad with bacon and .....
- Beef and Avocado Wrap with Horseradish DressingIf you are looking for brand new lunch ideas, this beef and avocado wrap is certainly deserving of your consideration. Teaming juicy roast beef with fresh avocado and a homemade horseradish dressing, this is just so good. I had some deli beef and a tortilla in the refrigerator and decided to make a horseradish dressing rather than just spooning in some of the horseradish sauce. I also had half an avocado left over from some tortilla pizzas I made last night, so threw that in there too. The resulting beef and avocado wrap sandwich was amazing and I immediately went out and made another! Variations and Tweaks for a Beef and Avocado Wrap You .....
- Catalan Mussels RecipeFresh mussels have their own distinctive flavor and they don’t need much added to them to bring out their natural taste. Mussels and cockles are great for making appetizers, or starter recipes. Mussels steamed are great, as are mussels cooked in other ways. One of the best ways to work with this seafood is to try out this Catalan mussels recipe. Adding Flavor to the Mussels In this Catalan mussels recipe, vinegar, lemon, oil and basil are used to add flavour and the natural mussel recipe taste shines through. This dish is best chilled overnight so allow plenty of time to do that. This is also a bonus if you are planning a number of .....
- Fried Brie with Hot Cranberry Sauce RecipeFried Brie with hot cranberry sauce is a traditional starter and with this recipe, you can make it from start to finish in just a few minutes. Brie is a versatile cheese and is just as good served cold in a sandwich as served fried like this. Personally I’m not keen on cold Brie but I can’t get enough of this fried Brie with hot cranberry sauce! What is Brie Cheese? Brie is a soft cow’s milk cheese which is widely available. It’s named after Brie, the French region where it originates from. Perhaps you have only had it cold, sliced, perhaps with French bread and grapes, but it is really good in this fried Brie with .....