This delicious Thai tom kha gai soup recipe is made with 10 ingredients only plus a few optional extras for serving. We are using chicken and mushrooms to make this, along with typical Thai ingredients like galangal, lemongrass, lime, coriander, coconut, fish sauce and palm sugar to make it.
This is a tasty, filling Thai chicken soup recipe and it’s also therapeutic if you’re under the weather or suffering from a cold or the flu. The chicken and vegetables are nourishing while the steam from the soup helps with decongestion.
As for the garnish, we like to present this traditional tom kha gai soup recipe with cilantro, chilies, lime leaves and lemongrass but feel free to omit one or all of those, as you prefer.
How to Serve Our Tom Kha Gai Soup Recipe
This makes a great lunch or evening meal, perhaps served with something crunchy as an appetizer. Egg rolls or spring rolls would be fine, or you might like to have something seafood-based to begin the meal instead. Because this is a spicy soup, consider following up with something creamy to cool the mouth, perhaps mousse or ice cream.
While the Spice is Nice in Thai Chicken Soup… Tweak as Needed
Feel free to alter the amount of spice in this tom kha gai soup recipe. Not everyone likes the chilies although they are popular in many Asian cuisines so those cultures are more accustomed to them.
A lot of traditional Thai recipes are quite spicy but when making your own you are in charge of what goes in there, so alter the recipe as you see fit. If you are a fan of Thai recipes, try our Thai fried rice or Pad Thai dishes. Continue reading
Chicken tortilla soup is one of my favorite soups. I love everything about it – the juicy chicken, the tomato-ey broth, the crisp tortillas on top, the cheese, just… everything! I like to keep my soup recipes simple, so you will see the following is as streamlined as I could make it. Grab the ingredients you need and make this. I promise, whether you want a light lunch or simple supper, you’re going to love it. There are lots of different chicken tortilla soup with Rotel tomatoes recipes to try but I happen to like this one just because it is so easy.
What You Need to Make It
Along with the cooked chicken and Rotel tomatoes you will need refried beans, chicken broth, corn and either some fried tortilla strips or broken tortilla chips, whichever you have.
If I am jazzing this up, I might add a scoop of sour cream and some avocado on top, and I like to add a good amount of shredded Mexican blend cheese as well. Those additions to the basic recipe make all the difference, but they are purely optional. So just add what you want to have.
This chicken tortilla soup with Rotel tomatoes makes a great meal and it’s surprisingly filling too. There are crockpot chicken tortilla soup recipes too, but honestly if you’re using leftover shredded chicken you might as well simply mix the ingredients together in a pan and cook the soup in a matter of minutes. Continue reading
Some More Hot Content For You
I first tried this amazing corn pie in Chile and immediately fell in love with it. The ingredients might sound a little strange but it’s really good, I promise! Some people use beef while others use chicken. The corn topping on this pastel de choclo recipe is crisp, sticky and sweet and the eggs, black olives and other ingredients lend authenticity.
Side Dish Options
What is a good side dish for our pastel de choclo? Well, I like it with a simple tomato, garlic and onions salad on the side, or you might want to steam some broccoli or another favorite vegetable instead. This keeps well in the refrigerator for a few days and is easy to reheat in the microwave.
What Kind of Corn to Use
Although some people prefer to use fresh corn when making a pastel de choclo recipe, I usually just use the canned kind which is fine in this corn pie as long as you drain it properly. Feel free to adjust the amount of sugar. It helps with the caramelization but my husband is diabetic so I usually use half sugar and half sweetener. Continue reading
Yesterday I decided to get a Thai massage. I suffer from a stiff neck and shoulders. For some reason, I hold all my tension in there! I love a good hot oil massage but the Thai massage is, well slightly different. More ‘painful’ but today I can move really freely and feel great! The woman was literally walking up my legs and back, digging her knees and elbows into me and making me yelp! However, ‘no pain no gain’ as they say, and today I can honestly say I feel great after it. And yes, all that gave me the inspiration to make this authentic Thai chicken soup recipe.
Thai Food Inspiration
While I was having this massage, I was listening to Thai music, gazing around the room at Buddha statues, candles and Thai pictures, and afterwards sipping a Thai tea. So I guess I got a craving for Thai food! For this reason I decided to make tom kha gai, or Thai chicken soup, for lunch once I got home. I had most of the ingredients already, I just needed to grab some chicken and cilantro.
I found this authentic Thai chicke soup recipe quick and easy to put together and the flavor was wonderful. Making the chicken broth before sieving the ‘bits’ out and using it to make the actual soup is recommended. Just begin with all the ingredients laid out, plus one pot, one sieve and a serving bowl and spoon, and you will find this an absolute breeze to prepare.
This easy chicken and peach salad takes mere minutes to put together and it’s a great way to use up leftover cooked chicken. I’ve made it with chicken breast but you could use other cooked chicken pieces or some deli chicken slices. You could even use rotisserie chicken to make this (perhaps, still warm – yum!)
This easy chicken and peach salad is made on a bed of iceberg lettuce, but of course you can switch the iceberg for any variety. Baby salad leaves would be good or chopped romaine. I like to add some lamb’s lettuce or a contrasting variety as well. Then you have the chicken on top, plus some peach for juicy sweetness, and then some crispy, crunchy croutons for a contrasting savory flavor and different texture.
Easy Chicken and Peach Salad Dressing
The easy chicken and peach salad dressing is an interpretation on Marie Rose sauce or thousand island dressing. The whisky in our easy chicken and peach salad dressing is optional (but throw some in if you have it) or you can use brandy. Actually this sauce is normally served with seafood recipes such as prawn cocktail but it goes just as well with chicken thanks to the chicken’s neutral, simple taste. Continue reading
Chicken is a popular ingredient in Mediterranean cuisine, and this Spanish inspired recipe makes the most of chicken thighs, a naturally juicy, flavor-packed part of the bird. Chicken thighs tend to be more economical than chicken breasts, and they also offer more juiciness and a richer flavor, so you have a win-win situation if you choose to buy them and use them in this Spanish paprika chicken recipe. Look out for discounted ones because they freeze beautifully.
What to Use in Spanish Paprika Chicken
We are adding onion and garlic to our Spanish paprika chicken, along with red wine vinegar, tomato paste, mustard, paprika, chicken stock and sherry, plus potatoes (or, if you prefer, use half potatoes and half carrots).
You can tweak the ingredients for Spanish paprika chicken if you wish, if you don’t have something or want to throw something else in there. The chicken stock can be switched for mushroom or vegetable stock. You can also throw in some button mushrooms or bell pepper strips which need to be used up. Any of those would be fine. Continue reading
- What is Tex-Mex FoodTo sum up the answer to ‘what is Tex-Mex food’, Tex-Mex cuisine refers to primarily American dishes found in the state of Texas. This cuisine is a blend of American and Mexican foods. Some of these recipes might not be the same as the authentic Mexican version but it is still referred to as ‘Mexican’ in Texas. People in other states sometimes refer to Tex-Mex as ‘Southwestern’ food. Tex-Mex is thought by some people to be the oldest original cuisine in the US. It was named in 1875 and began when the Texas-Mexican Railway was called Tex-Mex for short. This term was also used for Mexicans who were born in .....
- Chicken Fajitas RecipeHere in this excellent chicken fajitas recipe, we are pairing spiced chicken with delicious veggies, soft tortillas and whichever condiments you want to add. It makes a lovely dinner for any occasion. Although a lot of people assume fajitas are Mexican they are actually Tex-Mex. The word ‘fajita’ refers to barbequed meat which is served on a tortilla. Onions and bell peppers usually feature in these recipes, along with lettuce, sour cream, salsa or pico de gallo, tomato, and/or guacamole. Skirt steak is the original meat used to make a chicken fajitas recipe, and this tough cut of beef which is amazing when slow cooked has soared .....
- Best Buffalo Chicken RecipeBeing an English girl, I wasn’t quite sure what buffalo chicken was when I first heard the term. Of course I knew what a buffalo was and what a chicken was but didn’t see how you could combine them. All became clear when I tasted this delicacy Stateside and fell in love with it! Keep reading for the best buffalo chicken recipe I have found. So much so in fact that I have added it to our regular meal rotation because I adore the combination of crispy, spicy chicken, fresh vegetable sticks, creamy dressing and of course don’t forget the blue cheese! This best buffalo chicken recipe, like most of mine, is really easy to make. .....
- Chinese Chicken SaladChinese chicken salad is a tasty, nutritious option and it makes a wonderful lunch. Perhaps you usually have ranch dressing, blue cheese dressing or Italian dressing over mixed leaves and you are getting tired of it. Or it could be you are simply looking for new lunch inspiration. Whichever is the case, this Chinese chicken salad is very simple to prepare and the flavors work wonderfully together. What is Chinese Chicken Salad? You can use a julienne peeler to cut the vegetables into matchstick shapes, or if you don’t have one cut them by hand. We are using romaine and baby leaves in this dish too, along with grilled chicken, edamame .....
- Chilled Crunchy Raw Crack SlawThis raw crack slaw recipe shows you how to make coleslaw style crackslaw. While crack slaw is usually made hot in a wok and served like a Chinese dish, this recipe is different, surprisingly so if you have made the regular kind a few times already. Instead of being cooked the cabbage mixture is tossed together cold and then you let it stand until the flavors are better blended. Then serve it raw. Yep, this is a recipe for raw crack slaw, and it tastes fantastic! Flavored with all the best ingredients like vinegar, citrus juice and sesame oil, this raw crack slaw will fulfill all your hunger pangs and leave you really satisfied. Serve it .....
- Sauteed Jerusalem Artichoke RecipeAlso known as sunchokes, Jerusalem artichokes should not be confused with globe artichokes. This tuber or root vegetable, also known as earth apple, sunroot or topinambour, is in the same family as the sunflower, and there is a Jerusalem artichoke recipe for every palate once you know how to cook this tuber. They are perhaps easier to find in Europe than in the United States, although the roots are often used to make inulin, which is used as a source of dietary fiber in processed food instead of other fillers such as sugar. Jerusalem artichokes are high in potassium, iron and thiamin, low in calories, and a great source of fiber. They are .....
- Hot and Sour Squid SoupHot and sour soup is a lovely Chinese dish, featuring chili, vegetables and more, but this recipe takes the recipe to the next level adding squid to the mix, so you can enjoy the wonderfully soft texture of that in the soup. A hot and sour squid soup might sound like an exotic recipe but it is really easy to make. Take a look at the following hot and sour squid soup recipe and you will see how anyone could put this together. Feel free to make it as spicy or as mild as you like. If you are feeling under the weather or you think you are getting a cold or the flu, up the spices to help fight it off! You can make this soup as an appetizer or .....
- Tuna Nicoise SaladThe classic French tuna nicoise salad is made with tuna, tomatoes, eggs, and nicoise olives. It can be served on a platter or on single plates. Some people like to serve it on a bed of salad leaves while others do not. You can use cooked or canned tuna. Perhaps you have had this before in a French restaurant, in which case it would have been made with ahi tuna (or canned tuna if it was a more casual setting). The following recipe shows you how to recreate this wonderfully balanced dish yourself. Optional Ingredients in Tuna Nicoise Salad Optional ingredients in tuna nicoise salad might include shallots, sweet red peppers and artichoke .....
- Best Halloween Costumes EverIdeas for Witty Halloween Costumes Funny Halloween costumes may seem a strange choice but they can often make the biggest impact at the party. Not everyone wants to be a regular zombie or ghost, so maybe you are looking out for the best Halloween costumes to wow everyone on this special night. Therefore, choosing a costume which is amusing will ensure that you represent your personality, and dress up as something different this year. Not only will you get a laugh for your clever costume, but also for turning up as something totally unexpected at the Halloween event you are going to. Thinking out of the Box and Appealing to Everyone You have .....
- Chicken Curry Indian Style RecipeThis chicken curry Indian style recipe is just what you need if you want to cheer yourself up on a chilly evening. The chicken and vegetables combine beautifully with the curry spices and the overall effect is fantastic. Serve this with white fluffy rice, naan bread or whatever your heart desires. In a restaurant you may request your curry mild, medium or spicy, and hope the chef’s version of ‘mild’ for example, is the same as yours! We have all been there, asking for a mild dish, and it arrives and blows your head off. Well, in this chicken curry Indian style recipe, it is up to you to add the spices, so you can choose how .....