This delicious Thai tom kha gai soup recipe is made with 10 ingredients only plus a few optional extras for serving. We are using chicken and mushrooms to make this, along with typical Thai ingredients like galangal, lemongrass, lime, coriander, coconut, fish sauce and palm sugar to make it.
This is a tasty, filling Thai chicken soup recipe and it’s also therapeutic if you’re under the weather or suffering from a cold or the flu. The chicken and vegetables are nourishing while the steam from the soup helps with decongestion.
As for the garnish, we like to present this traditional tom kha gai soup recipe with cilantro, chilies, lime leaves and lemongrass but feel free to omit one or all of those, as you prefer.
How to Serve Our Tom Kha Gai Soup Recipe
This makes a great lunch or evening meal, perhaps served with something crunchy as an appetizer. Egg rolls or spring rolls would be fine, or you might like to have something seafood-based to begin the meal instead. Because this is a spicy soup, consider following up with something creamy to cool the mouth, perhaps mousse or ice cream.
While the Spice is Nice in Thai Chicken Soup… Tweak as Needed
Feel free to alter the amount of spice in this tom kha gai soup recipe. Not everyone likes the chilies although they are popular in many Asian cuisines so those cultures are more accustomed to them.
A lot of traditional Thai recipes are quite spicy but when making your own you are in charge of what goes in there, so alter the recipe as you see fit. If you are a fan of Thai recipes, try our Thai fried rice or Pad Thai dishes. Continue reading
Chicken tortilla soup is one of my favorite soups. I love everything about it – the juicy chicken, the tomato-ey broth, the crisp tortillas on top, the cheese, just… everything! I like to keep my soup recipes simple, so you will see the following is as streamlined as I could make it. Grab the ingredients you need and make this. I promise, whether you want a light lunch or simple supper, you’re going to love it. There are lots of different chicken tortilla soup with Rotel tomatoes recipes to try but I happen to like this one just because it is so easy.
What You Need to Make It
Along with the cooked chicken and Rotel tomatoes you will need refried beans, chicken broth, corn and either some fried tortilla strips or broken tortilla chips, whichever you have.
If I am jazzing this up, I might add a scoop of sour cream and some avocado on top, and I like to add a good amount of shredded Mexican blend cheese as well. Those additions to the basic recipe make all the difference, but they are purely optional. So just add what you want to have.
This chicken tortilla soup with Rotel tomatoes makes a great meal and it’s surprisingly filling too. There are crockpot chicken tortilla soup recipes too, but honestly if you’re using leftover shredded chicken you might as well simply mix the ingredients together in a pan and cook the soup in a matter of minutes. Continue reading
Some More Hot Content For You
I first tried this amazing corn pie in Chile and immediately fell in love with it. The ingredients might sound a little strange but it’s really good, I promise! Some people use beef while others use chicken. The corn topping on this pastel de choclo recipe is crisp, sticky and sweet and the eggs, black olives and other ingredients lend authenticity.
Side Dish Options
What is a good side dish for our pastel de choclo? Well, I like it with a simple tomato, garlic and onions salad on the side, or you might want to steam some broccoli or another favorite vegetable instead. This keeps well in the refrigerator for a few days and is easy to reheat in the microwave.
What Kind of Corn to Use
Although some people prefer to use fresh corn when making a pastel de choclo recipe, I usually just use the canned kind which is fine in this corn pie as long as you drain it properly. Feel free to adjust the amount of sugar. It helps with the caramelization but my husband is diabetic so I usually use half sugar and half sweetener. Continue reading
Yesterday I decided to get a Thai massage. I suffer from a stiff neck and shoulders. For some reason, I hold all my tension in there! I love a good hot oil massage but the Thai massage is, well slightly different. More ‘painful’ but today I can move really freely and feel great! The woman was literally walking up my legs and back, digging her knees and elbows into me and making me yelp! However, ‘no pain no gain’ as they say, and today I can honestly say I feel great after it. And yes, all that gave me the inspiration to make this authentic Thai chicken soup recipe.
Thai Food Inspiration
While I was having this massage, I was listening to Thai music, gazing around the room at Buddha statues, candles and Thai pictures, and afterwards sipping a Thai tea. So I guess I got a craving for Thai food! For this reason I decided to make tom kha gai, or Thai chicken soup, for lunch once I got home. I had most of the ingredients already, I just needed to grab some chicken and cilantro.
I found this authentic Thai chicke soup recipe quick and easy to put together and the flavor was wonderful. Making the chicken broth before sieving the ‘bits’ out and using it to make the actual soup is recommended. Just begin with all the ingredients laid out, plus one pot, one sieve and a serving bowl and spoon, and you will find this an absolute breeze to prepare.
This easy chicken and peach salad takes mere minutes to put together and it’s a great way to use up leftover cooked chicken. I’ve made it with chicken breast but you could use other cooked chicken pieces or some deli chicken slices. You could even use rotisserie chicken to make this (perhaps, still warm – yum!)
This easy chicken and peach salad is made on a bed of iceberg lettuce, but of course you can switch the iceberg for any variety. Baby salad leaves would be good or chopped romaine. I like to add some lamb’s lettuce or a contrasting variety as well. Then you have the chicken on top, plus some peach for juicy sweetness, and then some crispy, crunchy croutons for a contrasting savory flavor and different texture.
Easy Chicken and Peach Salad Dressing
The easy chicken and peach salad dressing is an interpretation on Marie Rose sauce or thousand island dressing. The whisky in our easy chicken and peach salad dressing is optional (but throw some in if you have it) or you can use brandy. Actually this sauce is normally served with seafood recipes such as prawn cocktail but it goes just as well with chicken thanks to the chicken’s neutral, simple taste. Continue reading
Chicken is a popular ingredient in Mediterranean cuisine, and this Spanish inspired recipe makes the most of chicken thighs, a naturally juicy, flavor-packed part of the bird. Chicken thighs tend to be more economical than chicken breasts, and they also offer more juiciness and a richer flavor, so you have a win-win situation if you choose to buy them and use them in this Spanish paprika chicken recipe. Look out for discounted ones because they freeze beautifully.
What to Use in Spanish Paprika Chicken
We are adding onion and garlic to our Spanish paprika chicken, along with red wine vinegar, tomato paste, mustard, paprika, chicken stock and sherry, plus potatoes (or, if you prefer, use half potatoes and half carrots).
You can tweak the ingredients for Spanish paprika chicken if you wish, if you don’t have something or want to throw something else in there. The chicken stock can be switched for mushroom or vegetable stock. You can also throw in some button mushrooms or bell pepper strips which need to be used up. Any of those would be fine. Continue reading
- Choosing the Best Refrigerator to BuyA refrigerator is a durable appliance and you should choose something you will be happy with for the long term. It is important to research different refrigerators before picking one for this reason. The best refrigerator to buy depends on various factors. The first thing to think about is how much you can afford to spend, then the style you like and the energy saving requirements you have. A mini refrigerator such as a Fosters Husky mini 50l fridge, or another small one, might be what you need or maybe a large fridge-freezer is better suited to your requirements and one of the best refrigerator to buy to fit your needs. Maybe a camping .....
- Chilled Cherry Soup RecipeThe following chilled cherry soup recipe features lemon and cinnamon to highlight the wonderful cherry flavor and lend a gourmet touch to this soup, while the flour thickens it up a bit and the sour cream adds a nice tang. A Starter or a Dessert This chilled cherry soup recipe would be excellent served as a starter recipe or for dessert, whichever you like. It is light enough not to fill people too much before their main course, which is always something you want from starters. What is the point of filling people up so much they don’t want their main course! You won’t have that problem here. The chilled cherry soup recipe is .....
- Simple Stuffed SquidsFeaturing a stuffing made with anchovies, parmesan, garlic, wine, parsley and breadcrumbs, this Greek inspired, simple stuffed squids recipe is hearty and tasty. You can see exactly what you need for this recipe and see how the filling is made in a skillet on the stove in stages. This is important because it gives the filling plenty of dimension. Stuff your squid then fry them in garlicky oil in the skillet. They will puff up on the stove and when they do it is time to add white wine and cover the skillet. Because this is a stovetop recipe you can watch the squid the whole time. It is also nice if you are using the oven to cook something .....
- Crab Rangoon Wontons Made with Gyoza WrappersI had a problem a couple days back. I was in the mood for crispy wontons and having recently bought a deep fat fryer and knowing I had some wonton skins in the freezer, I didn’t think anything could go wrong. However, the wonton wrappers were broken! I still fancied some crab rangoon wontons though. Can you use gyoza wrappers for wontons, I wondered. Would crab rangoon wontons made with gyoza wrappers actually work? Only one way to find out! Making Wontons with Gyoza Skins Gyoza wrappers are round not square and they are thicker than wonton wrappers. When I make gyoza I usually steam them or make potstickers so I was not sure how they .....
- What is a Yeast InfectionSo, what is a yeast infection? A lot of people ask that every day. A yeast infection is an incredibly common medical condition that can affect people of all ages, gender and background. This problem occurs when the yeast within your body begins to multiply far too quickly and spreads throughout your body. Thrush is classified as a yeast infection, however, this form of infection is commonly found in the mouth. The Candida yeast will colonize the mouth, which creates the painful lesions and creamy discharge that you will experience. You will find that the thick coating resembles cottage cheese, and will affect your tongue and roof of your .....
- Warm Spinach Salad with Bacon and ShallotsHow does a warm spinach salad with bacon and shallots sound to you? This is a really satisfying recipe, and one of those you will be happy you made. Here, spinach is teamed with spinach and shallots, as well as garlic, nutmeg and even some hard-boiled egg if you like. Go ahead and add all your favorite ingredients to this warm spinach salad with bacon and shallots. Go ahead and personalize this salad as much as you want. It is going to taste great anyway. The result is a salad which is ideal for the cooler months and can be served alongside any meat, poultry or even seafood dish. Or you can enjoy the warm spinach salad with bacon and .....
- Catalan Mussels RecipeFresh mussels have their own distinctive flavor and they don’t need much added to them to bring out their natural taste. Mussels and cockles are great for making appetizers, or starter recipes. Mussels steamed are great, as are mussels cooked in other ways. One of the best ways to work with this seafood is to try out this Catalan mussels recipe. Adding Flavor to the Mussels In this Catalan mussels recipe, vinegar, lemon, oil and basil are used to add flavour and the natural mussel recipe taste shines through. This dish is best chilled overnight so allow plenty of time to do that. This is also a bonus if you are planning a number of .....
- Vegan Quinoa Salad with Garlic Lime DressingAlthough nobody ever gets tired of pasta salad or rice salad recipes, there is something so special about a vegan quinoa salad, perhaps because of its unusual texture or because it is something different to what you usually have. This salad is especially good because the quinoa is combined with a variety of tasty veggies as well as seasonings. The following vegan quinoa salad recipe shows you how to make an easy quinoa salad using this delicious grain. Quinoa (pronounced keen-wah) is easy to cook and work with and combines well with various flavors. If you are new to using this grain, then you will enjoy the following recipe and once you .....
- How to Make Mapo TofuMapo tofu, which is sometimes written mapo doufu, is a delicious Chinese recipe from the Sichuan province in China. It is comprised of tofu in a reddish, spicy bean and chili based sauce. The tofu is usually cooked with ground meat, either beef or pork, along with fermented beans. There are variations of course, and everyone has their own way of making it. Discover how to make mapo tofu and you will fall in love with this dish! Why is Mapo Tofu Called That? So how did mapo tofu get its name? Well the ‘ma’ refers to ‘mazi’ which is pockmarks, and the ‘pa’ refers to ‘popo’ meaning old woman or .....
- Chinese Napa Cabbage Side DishI made this Chinese Napa cabbage side dish recipe using half a cabbage and half the ingredients, and it made a great dish for 2 people. I made soy sauce chicken to go with it. To make that, you need to slice chicken breast in half across the width, then soak it in soy sauce for an hour and cook on the griddle until cooked through. The 2 dishes together were lovely. You could also serve noodles or rice on the side but I didn’t. This recipe is very easy and it really brings out the Chinese Napa cabbage side dish flavor. Even if you aren’t sure whether or not you are a cabbage fan, this dish is worth trying, and cooking cabbage in .....