This particular Hoisin duck brioche dish was inspired by a recent visit to Ruby, Exeter, where I enjoyed something very similar. Yep here I am dreaming of Ruby again!
Well anyway the duck and hoisin are beautiful together, along with the cucumber, and although I am more used to enjoying this mixture in pancake wraps, I found the brioche really good with them, since brioche is naturally sweet and chewy, and just seemed to complement the hoisin duck flavors.
What Goes with Hoisin Duck Brioche?
I enjoyed this Hoisin duck brioche with a peanut butter wolf cocktail when I was at Ruby’s but you might prefer something else depending on what time of day you’re having it.
I enjoyed my Hoisin duck brioche in between having the back window of our car smashed in and going to my father’s wake, so I felt the cocktail was justified at the time. Sometimes you just need some great food and a nice drink to take your mind off things.
Feel free to add other stuff to the Hoisin duck brioche buns if you wish, although I find the lettuce, green onions and cucumber to be enough contrast against the duck mixture. I ordered mac ‘n cheese on the side with this, which went very well in a ‘fusion’ kind of way! Ruby tell me they use a commercial smoker and duck legs, so my Hoisin duck brioche recipe is similar but not the same. Continue reading
Using cauliflower instead of rice is a great idea if you are looking to cut calories, carbs, or you simply don’t want to have rice but you want something similar in texture. Try this egg fried cauli rice recipe and you will soon see what all the fuss is about!
Pop some cauliflower florets in the food processor, press the button, and a couple of seconds later you will have something resembling rice, which can be transformed into egg fried ‘rice’ or even something like our yummy Mexican cauli rice recipe (opens in new link) which is low in calories and tastes gorgeous.
Always a Great Meal
I made this egg fried cauli rice recipe for lunch today and found it quick and easy. This pan-fried cauliflower rice is delicious and you can add anything you like in there. I just used green onion, mushrooms, soy sauce, egg and a dash of sesame oil along with the cauli rice but you may add anything else in there.
Perhaps you have some leftover cooked chicken or shrimp to use up, in which case throw them in and warm them up for a couple of minutes. Did you open a can of corn kernels or peas yesterday? Add a spoonful of those into the cauli-rice mix if you want. Continue reading
Some More Hot Content For You
It is fair to say that potstickers are well-loved, and no wonder, when they boast such an incredible flavor in every bite. One is never enough. If you know something about potstickers history or you just like to eat them, you might already know through history potstickers have gone by a variety of names, including guotie, Peking Ravioli, pork dumplings, and wortip. Potstickers are both pan-fried and steamed.
Once the little dumplings are filled they are pan-fried on one side and then steamed in water or broth, so they end up crisp and browned on one side but easy to remove from the pan with a spatula. Try not to overcook them though, because then they will stick!
Curious Potstickers History
These little treats have been around since the Chinese Song dynasty, which dates back to 1280AD) although the exact origins are not known. According to legend however, they were invented when a chef in China’s Imperial Court accidentally burnt some dumplings. Oops! Continue reading
This easy Chinese chicken stir fry is the simplest Chinese recipe ever, and once you make it you will certainly want to make it again and again. We are using chicken and vegetables, along with a flavorful sauce, and this makes a wonderful dinner served with rice, noodles or your favorite Asian side dish.
You will need skinless, boneless chicken breast to make this easy Chinese chicken stir fry, along with vegetables (either snow peas and water chestnuts or carrots, or anything else you like, such as mushrooms, bamboo shoots, broccoli or bell pepper).
The sauce for the easy Chinese chicken stir fry is up to you. I like to combine 2 tablespoons of hoisin sauce with a tablespoon each of soy sauce and oyster sauce, but use whatever you had. Perhaps you want to use another kind of Chinese cooking sauce or simply add a splash of teriyaki, a splash of soy sauce and a few roasted sesame seeds. You can really go to town and get creative here because anything goes.
Chinese chicken salad is a tasty, nutritious option and it makes a wonderful lunch. Perhaps you usually have ranch dressing, blue cheese dressing or Italian dressing over mixed leaves and you are getting tired of it.
Or it could be you are simply looking for new lunch inspiration. Whichever is the case, this Chinese chicken salad is very simple to prepare and the flavors work wonderfully together.
What is Chinese Chicken Salad?
You can use a julienne peeler to cut the vegetables into matchstick shapes, or if you don’t have one cut them by hand. We are using romaine and baby leaves in this dish too, along with grilled chicken, edamame beans, green onion and mandarin segments. The dressing is especially delicious, made with soy sauce, hot sauce, garlic, honey, mustard, rice wine vinegar, and herbs.
Mapo tofu, which is sometimes written mapo doufu, is a delicious Chinese recipe from the Sichuan province in China. It is comprised of tofu in a reddish, spicy bean and chili based sauce. The tofu is usually cooked with ground meat, either beef or pork, along with fermented beans. There are variations of course, and everyone has their own way of making it. Discover how to make mapo tofu and you will fall in love with this dish!
Why is Mapo Tofu Called That?
So how did mapo tofu get its name? Well the ‘ma’ refers to ‘mazi’ which is pockmarks, and the ‘pa’ refers to ‘popo’ meaning old woman or grandmother. So interestingly mapo tofu means pockmarked grandmother or, better, pockmarked grandmother’s beancurd. This presumably refers to the old lady who first invented the dish. Learning how to make mapo tofu means you can relay this interesting history at the dinner table.
The Flavors of Mapo Tofu
This recipe is traditionally fiery, as many Sichuan dishes are, and this dish in particular is described using 7 Chinese adjectives, namely numbing, hot temperatures, spicy hot, fresh, soft and tender, flake, and aromatic.
The most important ingredients are the beancurd (tofu), salty bean paste or chili broad bean paste, fermented black beans, chili oil, garlic, green onions, rice wine, Sichuan peppercorns, and chili flakes. There might also be some starch to thicken up the sauce and often some kind of ground meat.
- iPod Scams and How to Avoid ThemMaybe you have seen iPods or mp3 players on eBbay retailing for a few cents and wonder how come they’re so cheap when in the stores they cost many times that price. The phrase ‘iPod scams’ might come to mind right away because, well, who in their right mind would sell a perfectly working iPod for a few cents? Despite this being obvious, people still get sucked into iPod scams. Not all scams are obvious either. The price might be significantly higher, like in the shop or slightly less, but maybe there is something wrong with the iPod or perhaps it’s not genuine or doesn’t have the amount of memory it should. You .....
- Potato Wrapped Fish FiletsThis potato wrapped fish filets recipe is something which is easy enough for the home cook to master but will give professional results. If you love fish and potatoes, why not combine them to make this delicious recipe? Whether you are used to tasty stuffed squid recipes and other seafood dishes, or not, you will love this. The potatoes need to be thin enough to wrap around the fish, although you can choose any type of potatoes and any type of fish. Perhaps you love the big flakes cod offers, the economical price of basa fish or tilapia, or the distinctive flavor of salmon. Whichever makes your mouth water would be an ideal candidate for .....
- A Closer Look at Starter RecipesLet’s take a closer look at simple starter recipes and find out what they are, when to serve them and how to present them. Starter recipes is the British term for appetizers, and these little treats can be easy to make and very tasty. Smaller dishes can be served before a main course or when you want to make snacks instead of a more filling meal. You can serve them at parties, buffets, get-togethers, cocktail parties and more. If the occasion calls for finger food or a snack, rather than a heavy meal, you can serve such recipes. Plan which ones you are going to serve by thinking about your guests and looking at the rest of the planned .....
- Cat Behavior ExplainedOur furry feline friends have some fascinating behavioral habits which might be confusing to their owners but they do have explanatory reasons. Why do cats purr for example? Does it mean they are happy and content? Here is a look at some of the more common feline behaviors so you can consider at least some cat behavior explained. Cat Behavior: Why Do Cats Purr? Cats use purring as a communication device. A cat will purr when something makes them feel happy, comfortable or safe. A kitten and its mother often purr together as a sign of comfort and being relaxed and the kitten will continue the purring behavior throughout its life. It has also .....
- Traditional Spanish Squid SoupThis is not a stuffed squid recipe like many of our other soup recipes with squid but it is too good not to include on here. Oh yes, Spanish squid soup is one of the best soups I know, and it’s worth learning the recipe. The recipe features squid of course, and also potatoes, onion and tomato. Aromatic flavor comes from the chilies, thyme, garlic and balsamic vinegar. The green beans are optional but they look attractively colorful so if you want to use them then just throw them in after topping and tailing them. The Spanish squid soup recipe is very simple to prepare. Once all the ingredients are in there you need to let it simmer for .....
- Easy Hummus Recipe with Peanut ButterUsing peanut butter instead of tahini is a great idea if you want a great-tasting and easy hummus recipe which boasts plenty of nutrition from the peanut butter. Our easy hummus recipe with peanut butter will appeal to everyone, old or young, because it is creamy and flavorful. This hummus recipe without tahini is very simple to make and you can serve it as a dip, perhaps with celery or pita bread, or use it as a spread in sandwiches, pairing it with chicken and cucumber or salad leaves and sliced boiled egg. How to Make Hummus Without Tahini You will need a food processor or blender to combine the ingredients for this hummus, then you can .....
- Bathroom Redesign, Remodeling and DecoratingThe biggest challenge in remodeling a bathroom is probably working out how to achieve the style and build in the features you want within the limits of what is probably the smallest room in your house. A second limiting factor is the location of existing plumbing pipes and electrical wiring. You need to bear this in mind when considering bathroom redesign. Remodeling a bathroom is relatively easy if you don’t have to move those. If you make radical changes in the existing layout, you’ll need to investigate whether or not you can build what you want without making structural changes. Bear in mind that you might require a building .....
- What are WontonsSo, What are Wontons Exactly? A wonton, which can also be spelt wanton, wuntun, won ton or wantan, is a type of Chinese dumpling. Wontons are made by wrapping your chosen filling in a wonton wrapper and then molding the wonton into the shape you like. You can dip your fingertip into water to moisten the edges of the wonton wrapper before sealing it – this helps it to stick better and stay closed, because the water dissolves the extra flour. Make sure you squeeze all the air out of the wonton, else it might rupture because of the internal pressure from the trapped air. What are wontons? Well they’re one of the most delicious little .....
- Crispy Baked Camembert RecipeCamembert cheese is often featured as one of the cheeses on a cheeseboard, but there is more you can do with it. Similar to brie, this French cheese offers a ripe, creamy flavor, and it is also delicious served hot. Some people choose to fry the breaded Camembert in oil but you can also oven bake it if you want to cut the calories and fat content. Try this baked Camembert recipe for yourself to experience an amazing taste and texture. How Many Will This Crispy Baked Camembert Recipe Serve? This baked Camembert recipe will serve 2 if you want a filling starter or light main dish, or you can cut each cheese in half before you dip in the egg .....
- Traditional English Scones RecipeBeing from Devon, in southwest England, it goes without saying I am fond of English scones and know a good traditional English scones recipe. Served with clotted cream and then jam on top (or jam and then clotted cream if you are from Cornwall rather than Devon), these wonderfully delicious little treats are best served with a pot of strong tea. English Scones vs. American Scones British scones are not the same as American ones which have more butter in the mix compared to flour than the British ones. This is why the traditional English scones recipe differs. Because butter is usually added before the cream and jam, less butter is used in .....