There are plenty of ways to cook salmon filets, which is good news if you love this tasty, healthy fish. Salmon is one of the most popular choices when it comes to fish, along with tuna and cod. These 3 fish are often known as ‘the big 3’ because they are so popular. Salmon has a distinctive flavor which pairs well with just about any cuisine, whether you are adding teriyaki and sesame seeds, hoisin or soy sauce for an Asian feel, lemon and parsley along with white wine for a Western European dish, or even barbecue sauce, avocado and tortillas for a Tex-Mex feast.
So what are some of the ways to cook salmon filets? Well salmon can be baked, broiled, grilled, pan-fried, poached, deep-fried, microwaved, steamed, or cooked on the barbeque. It can be cooked in a pressure cooker or crockpot, and you can even eat it raw as carpaccio or sushi perhaps. A salmon filet is a beautiful ingredient to use, regardless of which recipe or cooking technique you are opting for.
The biggest mistake you can make is overcooking the salmon. Regardless which ways to cook salmon filets you prefer to use, avoid overcooking at all costs! A lot of recipes say when the fish flakes easily it is done but actually if it flakes easily it is slightly overdone! I cook salmon filets until the center is still ever so slightly glossy and the rest is opaque, because it keeps cooking after being removed from the heat, and this ensures the moistest result. If you prefer your salmon more done, then go ahead and cook it a little longer.
Pasta con le sarde is a typical Sicilian dish. The name translates to mean ‘pasta with sardines’ and the sardines along with fennel are the main 2 ingredients in there, those which give it the characteristic taste. Saffron, currants or raisins, pine nuts, and toasted almonds or capers also enrich the dish, offering a unique and special flavor in the finished meal.
There are different pasta con le sarde recipes, some of which include tomato pulp and others which do not. Some are finished off in the oven for a few minutes so the pasta can finish cooking in there.
When to Make a Pasta con le Sarde Recipe
Make this pasta con le sarde whenever you want, but I would recommend March to September as the ideal window just because that’s the best time to get harvested wild fennel and fresh sardines at the market. Prepare the dish then add some toasted breadcrumbs to finish it off. You might want to use macaroni rather than bucatini or spaghetti, and in fact that would be more traditional in Sicily.
Some More Hot Content For You
If you are looking for new ideas for pizza, something other than the meat feast or tomato and cheese pizza you usually have, consider this brand new take on the Italian favorite. Topping with smoked salmon and capers, this offers a fresh, light flavor, and a gourmet appeal. If you are looking for an elegant Italian recipe which is easy to prepare rather than fussy, consider this smoked salmon pizza with capers and enjoy the smooth texture of the salmon and the salty little bursts of flavor in the capers as well as the satisfying pizza crust.
The smoked salmon pizza with capers takes a while to make, especially since the dough is homemade and needs to chill overnight. If you are short of time or not bothered about making the dough from scratch, you can either buy dough and roll it out yourself or use a readymade pizza crust. Either of these would be fine and nobody has to know you didn’t make your own dough. Roll out some readymade dough into a ‘non quite symmetrical’ shape and it’ll look homemade!
The ingredients for the topping are adaptable, so swap the red onion for white if you want, leave off the capers if you aren’t keen, or swap them for anchovies for extra seafood appeal. You can also add some thinly sliced mushrooms, pineapple chunks or anything else you want to put on there, or keep it simple with just the salmon and capers if you would rather. Continue reading
I had some leftover broccoli and decided to experiment a little, after the success of my vegetable jeon the other day. These Korean tuna and broccoli pancakes came out really well and I decided to share the recipe. They are so good!
What are Jeon?
Jeon (pronounced jun) is a Korean pancake and these fantastic little snacks make a great appetizer, or you could serve them as the main dish. Suitable for breakfast, lunch, dinner or just a snack, there are lots of different jeon recipes.
Making this Korean tuna and broccoli pancakes recipe is easy. Combine an egg, a couple tablespoons of flour and a handful of your main ingredient (could be mashed butterbeans, canned tuna, grated vegetables or anything else you fancy) with your preferred seasonings. You can then divide the mixture into patties and saute them in a skillet until golden brown. Continue reading
This tuna with a sesame crust is a fabulous way to showcase the wonderful flavor of fresh tuna, and you will not believe just how easy this recipe is to make, even if you’re new to cooking fresh fish or don’t often do it
Even a total novice in the kitchen will be able to pull this recipe off and end up with a very impressive dish.
To make it, you just need some tuna steaks and sesame seeds, both black and white, and then some oil for frying and salt to add extra flavor. In addition to that you will need a big nonstick skillet.
Tips for Cooking Tuna with a Sesame Crust
There is nothing hard about cooking fresh fish, especially not tuna. The only thing to watch out for is not too overcook it. Tuna is lean which means it can dry out if you’re not careful, and you don’t want to do that to this delicious fish. Continue reading
Salmon is one of my favorite fish to cook. It is high in omega-3’s which are essential for good health and the flavor is just amazing. That’s why I enjoy making this 3 ingredient cajun griddled salmon recipe.
Sometimes I like to spice it up by adding Cajun, Mexican or Indian spices, but other times I like the salmon just as it is, perhaps with a squeeze of lemon or just some salt and pepper. Salmon is nice added to a risotto or quiche. There are so many things you can do with this wonderful fish.
The following 3 ingredient cajun griddled salmon recipe just requires 3 ingredients, and those are some Cajun seasoning which you can buy in a package, a little oil and the salmon itself. Griddling needs a high heat so you might not even want to use the oil. Continue reading
- British Indian Food and How It All BeganIndian cuisine is really popular in the UK, but British Indian food differs from authentic Indian cuisine. While some dishes are Anglicized versions of typical Indian dishes, others are Indian takes on typical British dishes, so there is plenty of fusion. Fish and meat are cooked as curries with Indian vegetables, and yogurt, almonds and coconut are typical ingredients in this cuisine. British roast beef for example can be modified with chilies and cumin to make a curried beef dish. Indian roast type dishes, rices, breads and curries all offer a distinctive Indian taste. Some examples of British Indian food include mulligatawny, fish .....
- Best Chicken Pumpkin Risotto RecipeThis is such a great recipe for the fall (or maybe you call it autumn, depending where you’re from) and the juicy chicken, sweet pumpkin, comforting rice, and other tasty flavors in here combine beautifully to make this gorgeous chicken pumpkin risotto. To make a flavor-packed risotto, stick to delicate, fragrant flavors, and you will experience this timeless Italian dish the way it was meant to be enjoyed. That Wonderful Risotto Texture To get the texture of the chicken pumpkin risotto just right, use risotto rice (arborio or carnaroli perhaps) and keep adding the liquid in small amounts, letting the rice absorb the liquid before .....
- Types of ShowersShowers have become popular additions to bathrooms all over the world as more people become aware of saving water. Another reason for having a shower fitted is to save space, and for many people this is vital. You can choose between a variety of different types of showers to suit your needs and budget. Before rushing out to purchase a new shower, you will need to consider several different elements, which will determine the style of shower that you choose. You will need to think about the amount of people in the household, and your current heating system. The right shower should cater to all your needs and suit you perfectly. Choosing a .....
- Different Kinds of Starter RecipesThere are many different kinds of starter recipes, ranging from basic two or three ingredient combinations which you can put together in one minute flat, to the more elaborate and gourmet style dishes which are a mixture of many ingredients and take a long time to create. There are different dishes for different occasions and you should always match the type of food you serve with the people who are going to be eating it and the type of occasion itself. Old Favorites and Classic Starters There is nothing wrong with sticking to tried and tested recipes if you aren’t sure what to make. There are many kinds of starter recipes to choose .....
- Elegant Squid with Pistachio and LemonThis recipe is a little unusual, at least more unusual than most stuffed squid recipes. Not only does it look delicious but the tangy chili sauce is the perfect partner for the tender seafood, another great reason to prepare this fantastic dish. Squid with pistachio might be hard to imagine but believe me, it’s the stuff of dreams! The squid is stuffed with a pistachio and lemon infused brown rice which is really filling, and the sauce can be served on the side, like you see in the picture, or you can drizzle it over the plates and arrange the squid slices on top, as you wish. If you want to change this recipe a bit you can use fresh .....
- How to Make Mapo TofuMapo tofu, which is sometimes written mapo doufu, is a delicious Chinese recipe from the Sichuan province in China. It is comprised of tofu in a reddish, spicy bean and chili based sauce. The tofu is usually cooked with ground meat, either beef or pork, along with fermented beans. There are variations of course, and everyone has their own way of making it. Discover how to make mapo tofu and you will fall in love with this dish! Why is Mapo Tofu Called That? So how did mapo tofu get its name? Well the ‘ma’ refers to ‘mazi’ which is pockmarks, and the ‘pa’ refers to ‘popo’ meaning old woman or .....
- Dutch Kale Stamppot with SausageDutch kale stamppot is a dish I make often, first because my husband is Dutch and grew up with it, and second because it’s hot, comforting and delicious! Perhaps you have tried other Dutch recipes such as our slavink recipe, or maybe you are new to this cuisine. Either way, you will find Dutch kale stamppot with sausage very simple to prepare. You will need mashing potatoes (I use low GI Carisma potatoes because my husband is diabetic) along with kale. Those are the main two ingredients in kale stamppot, known in Holland as boerenkool stamppot. In addition, I recommend some smoked sausage, known locally as rookworst. This has a similar .....
- Buttermilk Ranch Dressing with Sour CreamThis buttermilk ranch dressing with sour cream is one of the best salad dressing recipes I’ve made in a while. I just had it with baby kale, deli beef, parmesan, crispy fried onions and raisins, and it made a really nice meal. If you use low-fat mayonnaise you can get a large serving of this buttermilk ranch dressing with sour cream for about 90 calories, or else you can use regular mayo if you prefer. A Perfect Ranch Flavor I didn’t have fresh chives when I first made this buttermilk ranch dressing with sour cream so I used dried. I think fresh would work better, so I will make sure I have some of that next time. I used the .....
- Baked Alaska Recipe with Caramel SauceThis baked Alaska recipe with caramel sauce is one of my favorite desserts, teaming delicious, refreshing ice cream with perfect meringue. Here we are serving the baked Alaska with caramel sauce to make the dessert even more decadent. This dessert is served cold, and the meringue completely covers the ice cream inside, making it look like a big iceberg, hence the name. Although you can make individual baked Alaska desserts, we like to make one big ones, using a small ready-made chocolate sponge cake, topping that with 2 kinds of ice cream, and then adding the sweet, sticky meringue mixture. I bet you can’t wait to try this baked Alaska .....
- Spinach Potato Knishes – Jewish Comfort FoodI first tried spinach potato knishes (pronounced kuh-NISH-es) at Kenny and Ziggy’s in Houston TX, and wow was this some spectacular comfort food. I’m British so I am used to Cornish pasties (a tasty pastry-enclosed meat and potato recipe from the southwest corner of England) and I also enjoy pastry-wrapped or pastry-enclosed vegetable recipes for lunch or as snacks. What are knishes, I asked myself, perusing the menu. Google to the rescue and I read the description. My mouth began to water and I thought wow I have to order these! So, now you’re asking what are knishes exactly? Well this tasty Jewish recipe is a savory pie. .....