Quinoa is quickly becoming a popular food in America and throughout the world. The fast spread of this low-fat superfood grain has led to people wondering how to cook it at home. Chances are you’ve probably eaten it at a restaurant or at a friend’s house. Now you’re wanting to know how to cook this amazingly tasty food for you and your family and you want to know how to cook quinoa on the stove.
The good news is that quinoa (pronounced keen-wah) is really easy to cook at home. It’s certainly no more difficult to cook than rice or buckwheat, which is good news for all of you that want a taste of this superfood without having to pay the high prices restaurants usually charge for it.
Prepare the Quinoa First
The first thing that you need to do is soak your quinoa in a large bowl of water for 15 minutes. The outside coating of quinoa has a bitter substance called saponin. This is the plant’s way of ensuring that birds don’t steal its precious nutrients. The bitter taste makes birds think twice about chowing down on it. Drain and rinse the quinoa using a fine mesh strainer after it has been soaked. You’ll want to do this once or twice for a minute or two. This is the final process of getting rid of the saponins.
This Mexican Christmas salad recipe is traditional in both Old and New Mexico, although we are adding a twist with the charred lettuce wedge. Although romaine (known as cos lettuce in some places) really comes to life on a grill, the delicate leaves do not always stand up to the temperature needed by the rest of the food on the grill, and nobody wants a wilted mess on their plate.
Thanks to the blowtorch you can control how much heat you use and where it is directed. Besides, who wants to stand outside shivering over the grill on Christmas day, knee-deep in snow? Er, no thanks!
How Mexican Christmas Salad is Prepared
In this Mexican Christmas salad recipe, romaine hearts are coated in extra-virgin olive oil and parmesan and then scorched until the cheese browns. You can scorch the lettuce as little or as much as you wish, although we suggest using a blowtorch until the parmesan flakes have melted and you can see golden brown patches on the romaine.
So when is this Mexican Christmas salad good for? Well you could serve this as an appetizer on Christmas Day or save it until Boxing Day when your belly is begging you for a lighter lunch after all those heavy holiday dinners. I know that feeling! Basically, this Mexican Christmas salad is tasty, nutritious, well balanced and really worth making, so give it a go!
Some More Hot Content For You
Peach smoothie is perfect for any age or occasion, and you can adapt the following recipe as much as you want. Serve it in martini glasses, tall glasses or another kind, and garnish each one with a peach slice if you want, or a strawberry perhaps. This lovely recipe is quick and easy to make. Simply throw everything into a blender and press the button.
If you find yourself with a batch of fresh peaches to use up, consider making this recipe. You don’t have to use fresh peaches. Frozen ones will work too, either thawed or still frozen, and if you’re using still-frozen ones you can leave out the ice cubes.
Fruity and Fantastic
Peaches are wonderful in fruit smoothies, and you can also add other fruit, such as strawberries to make a strawberry peach smoothie or consider pineapple, pear, mango, melon or other fruits. Canned fruit is yet another option but drain off the liquid if they are in ‘syrup’ (which is only sugary water). Continue reading
This low carb tortilla pizza is incredibly good and it takes about 10 minutes to make and the same again to cook. Whether or not you have made pizza before, you will find this low carb tortilla pizza incredibly simple, and the sky is the limit as far as toppings are concerned.
Use a low-carb tortilla to make your pizza. I recommend the Mama Lupe ones because they’re so good and only 3 carbs (and 60 calories) each. And they are the closest in flavor to regular tortillas. I also tried the La Tortilla brand for my low carb tortilla pizza because those are only 50 calories each but… nope not as good as the Mama Lupe ones.
This low carb tortilla pizza recipe makes a fabulous dinner, and it is also quick enough to make for lunch. Whatever meal you are making this pizza for, you are sure to find it filling and delicious.
Keep some low-carb tortillas in the refrigerator (they keep for weeks in there) and rustle one of these up whenever you’re in the mood for some comfort food! Continue reading
Sometimes the best recipes are the simplest, and it is a myth you have to use lots of different ingredients to make a nice curry recipe. Take the following healthy banana and carrot curry recipe for example.
The main ingredients are carrots, banana and onion, and the sauce is made with curry powder, orange juice and a splash of yogurt. Use fat-free yogurt and you can see how healthy and low in both fat and calories this banana and carrot curry recipe is.
Serve this banana and carrot curry with rice or naan bread or keep things healthy and have a chapatti bread with some raita (cucumber, yogurt and mint dressing) on the side. Perhaps you have a meat or fish curry on the stove and you want to make a side dish to go with it, something with veggies, in which case this would go very nicely with it. Continue reading
Nothing beats a stew on a chilly day, and even if you do not eat meat or chicken, you can still make the most wonderful flavored chunky vegetable stew with potato rosti. This dish is made with vegetables instead of meat so it is also nutritious.
The onion and garlic are fried first, just to turn them golden brown and bring out their wonderful aromas, then all the other ingredients go into the pot and the stew really starts to take shape.
The seasonings for the chunky vegetable stew with potato rosti are cumin and orange juice, and then of course you have the garlic taste. This might not sound like much but don’t forget how great the veggies taste just by themselves and you will see the seasonings are to bring out the veggie flavors not replace them. Continue reading
- 2 Ingredient Crockpot BBQ BeefI often make this dish because it is so simple, and all you need to make it are 2 ingredients – beef and BBQ sauce. Any tough cut of beef which needs to be braised or slow cooked will work, so opt for braising or stewing steak, or something like skirt or flank. You will also need a crockpot and it is up to you whether you want to cook this 2 ingredient crockpot BBQ beef recipe on high, medium or low. How Long Should 2 Ingredient Crockpot BBQ Beef Cook? Use high and the beef will be done in about 5 hours. Double that for low, and guess somewhere in between the 2 for medium. Of course, the exact time depends on your crockpot and the meat .....
- Bacon Wrapped Avocado AppetizersThese bacon wrapped avocado appetizers are absolutely gorgeous and you can serve them as an appetizer or side dish. They are low in carbs (if you leave out the sugar) but high in flavor. Spicy or Mild, Your Choice Use the chili or cayenne pepper if you wish, or just have the bacon wrapped avocado appetizers without if you want a milder finish. These are great to pop into the oven when you have something else cooking on the stove. I wasn’t sure these would work the first time I made bacon wrapped avocado appetizers. I have made bacon-wrapped shrimp before, and bacon-wrapped cheese, but this is the first time I used avocado. Although .....
- Best Bling iPad CasesTake a look at these gorgeous covers and make your tablet really sparkle! iPad cases come in lots of styles but choosing ones with bling means your tablet will look incredible and who doesn’t love bling iPad cases? Choose from lots of different sparkly covers to jazz up your tablet and everyone will be jealous of it. Even if you are not sure what style you like, take a peek at some of the different designs on offer and perhaps you will find something you adore. Choose from various colors, styles and types of bling for your bling iPad cases, or pick out the perfect sparkly cover or case as a gift for someone in your family or friends .....
- Beef in Chinese CuisineBeef in Chinese cuisine. Yes it’s there, just not the most popular choice, at least in authentic Chinese cuisine. Beef is not used nearly as much as pork in Chinese cuisine, so when the Chinese talk about ‘meat’ they are usually referring to pork. Beef is used quite a bit in Szechuan cuisine, probably because there are more oxen in that region. Steamed beef is coated with cornstarch to make a gravy, while stir-fried beef is cooked until chewy. Beef is not as versatile as pork, for example they are not good for making a beef version of pork meatballs, which is why beef is not so popular. You will not find beef in Chinese .....
- Watermelon Mint Detox WaterDetox water recipes are all the rage these days, and little wonder when the concept is basically about making plain water delicious so you want to drink plenty of it. Water is absolutely essential but a lot of people struggle to drink enough of it. Once you feel thirsty you are already dehydrated and in need of this watermelon mint detox water or something similar. The obvious answer to this problem is flavoring regular water (tap water, bottled water, filtered water, whatever you like) with fruit, perhaps adding some kind of fresh herbs or spice to boost the flavor further. This recipe is one of my favorites. We are incorporating watermelon .....
- Traditional Recipe for Cornish PastiesOne of the most famous dishes to come from Cornwall, England (well apart from tea and scones of course) is the Cornish pasty. This delicious snack can be enjoyed hot, warm or chilled, and the beef and vegetable filling complements the flaky pastry perfectly. Knowing the traditional recipe for Cornish pasties means you can prepare this delicacy for your family at home. Traditional Recipe for Cornish Pasties Dough We are making the pastry for our Cornish pasty (pronounced PAH-stee) recipe as well as preparing the filling. For the pastry you will need flour, butter, egg yolks, salt and baking powder. It helps to have a food processor to prepare .....
- Steamed Couscous with FruitThis steamed couscous with fruit recipe is light, aromatic and really delicious. Combining the taste of couscous with sweet juicy fruit, this makes a great side dish or you can have it alone for lunch or a light supper. You could also consider doubling or tripling the steamed couscous with fruit recipe to make a nice buffet or potluck dish. It is fine to stand at room temperature for a while since there is no meat or eggs in there. Couscous is a lovely grain to cook with and you can use plain couscous or Israeli couscous (otherwise known as pearl couscous). It makes a nice change from rice or potatoes, and you can make salads, side dishes .....
- Cream Cheese Stuffed Sweet PeppersThese cream cheese stuffed sweet peppers are gorgeous and I often make them as a side dish. I like to use the long pointy red peppers, both because of their nice, sweet flavor, and also because of how they lie flat on the plate and don’t fall over. You can use bell peppers if you want, or even chilies if you have a taste for them. Roast these in the oven or broil them if you prefer. Keep an eye on them. You will be able to see when they are done. Tweak if You Wish It is perfectly possible to tweak this cream cheese stuffed sweet peppers recipe based on what you have. I have made these with just the peppers and the cream cheese before .....
- Thirst Quenching Watermelon SmoothieSmoothie recipes are always good. Whether you make one as a speedy breakfast, as a drink/snack or anytime you are thirsty but want something thick and satisfying, a smoothie recipe always comes to the rescue and there are certainly plenty to choose from. I love this watermelon smoothie recipe among others. You can blend fruit with yogurt to make a watermelon smoothie recipe, or use cream, milk or fruit juice. You can also add ice cubes to the blender (not all blenders, but the good ones!) and make your smoothie refreshingly icy cold. Watermelon Smoothie Recipe: Just 3 Simple Ingredients This watermelon smoothie recipe features watermelon, .....
- Retro Shades and Vintage SunglassesSo what is the appeal of groovy shades? Shades, or sunglasses, come in many styles and designs, and although there are plenty of modern ones a lot of people like to go for the retro style sunglasses which often appear in vintage clothing stores, and on Amazon and eBay. Consider retro shades if you want a cool look. Whether you are looking for some classic vintage Chanel sunglasses or something fun made with brightly colored plastic, there are lots of old-fashioned styles you can get, and retro shades are even cooler than a lot of modern ones. Pick out something that suits the shape of your face as well as your personality and not only can .....