Dieting isn’t always easy. If it was, we would all be slim, right? The problem with a lot of diets is you have to deprive yourself of your favorite foods (you know, all those ones that taste good) and feel hungry in order to shed a pound or two, if you’re lucky. So what about carb blockers – everything you need to know about these might just convince you to give them a try but honestly, do they really work?
Reducing the intake of carbs is a popular way of lowering weight, and you can try diets such as Atkins to show you how to keep your carbs very low.
The problem with diets like this is they eliminate (at least in the interim phase) healthy carbs such as sweet potatoes and strawberries as well as the bad ones like ice cream and soda.
White rice, white pasta, processed foods, pastries and high-sugar sodas are largely responsible for obesity, at least to a degree.
Nobody ever got fat eating too many strawberries. Well, not unless they top them with mountains of ice cream anyway. Continue reading
There is low carb bread and there is this very low carb bread recipe. If you’ve been doing Atkins or low carbing for a while, you will have tried some of the more ‘eggy’ or ‘dense’ breads and while they are passable (just!) they aren’t exactly a good bread substitute.
Some low carbers will forgo the bread entirely, choosing to wrap their burger or sandwich in a large lettuce leaf instead and while there is nothing wrong with that, sometimes it’s nice to have something a bit chewier and more bready, even if it isn’t going to be that high-carb processed stuff you used to eat before.
There are various names for the very low carb bread recipe I am talking about – revolution rolls, cloud bread, oopsie bread, each having a slightly different recipe and preparation technique.
Here I am sharing what I found works best of all, and that’s a bread which is easy to make, uses clean ingredients (ie, not processed) and is low in carbs but offers a nice taste and chewy bread-ish texture. Continue reading
This cauliflower nasi goreng – low carb and tasty – might well earn a place on your regular meal rotation. It’s just so special! Nasi goreng is a delicious dish from Indonesia, which I’ve enjoyed plenty of times since moving to the Netherlands, since the Dutch are very much into Indonesian foods.
Although this is a rice-based dish and you might think no way can that be low carb, swap the rice for cauliflower and it will be! Also, because this is a spicy dish (a dish with spices, not necessary ‘hot’ if you don’t want it to be) you won’t taste the cauliflower.
What is Nasi Gorgeng?
The name ‘nasi goreng’ means fried rice in Malay and Indonesian, and the term can refer to pre-cooked rice with a little cooking fat and kecap manis, which is a sweet soy sauce. Shallot, tamarind, chili and garlic are typical ingredients, along with egg, shrimp and/or chicken. Sometimes salted dried fish are used instead of the other proteins.
This recipe is known as Indonesian although it is also popular in Malaysia, the Netherlands and Singapore. Nasi goreng can be enjoyed everywhere from roadside stands in Indonesia to Jakarta buffet tables or fine restaurants. This is known as the national dish of Indonesia, although I’m not sure what the locals would make of this low carb cauliflower nasi goreng variation. This dish was developed as a way to avoid wasting cooked rice, since frying can stop dangerous microbes propagating especially before refrigeration was commonplace like it is today. Continue reading
Some More Hot Content For You
Cauliflower rice, also known as cauli rice, is a low-calorie, low-carb alternative to regular rice. You can make it with a food processor or, if you don’t have one, a cheese grater. There are different ways to cook cauliflower rice recipes too, such as on the stove, in the oven, or even in the microwave. Although cauliflower obviously doesn’t share the exact same flavor as rice, you can get the appearance and texture very close.
It is well worth knowing how to make cauliflower rice recipes, even if you are not trying to reduce your carb or calorie intake. Cauliflower is rich in protein, thiamin, niacin, riboflavin, phosphorus, magnesium, vitamins C, K, B6, potassium, manganese and pantothenic acid. It is very low in cholesterol and saturated fat.
Whether you are looking for a paleo cauliflower rice, Mexican cauliflower rice or coconut cauliflower rice recipe, or something else, there are certainly a lot of different recipes to choose from, both mild and spicy, traditional and exotic, vegetarian, vegan and anything else you can think of.
Cauliflower rice, or cauli rice as it is affectionately known, is a wonderful substitute for rice, offering a mere fraction of the calories and carbs or rice, yet offering a very similar texture and a neutral flavor. You can do so much with it and there are plenty of cauliflower rice recipes to choose from. This cauli rice with orange, lime and cilantro recipe is easy to prepare and it’s yummy!
I like to use a medium or strong-flavored sauce to disguise the cauliflower flavor – not that cauliflower has much of a taste at all, but just to make it as rice-like as possible. Try Chinese rice with cauliflower instead of rice, or consider Mexican cauli rice or Italian flavors.
It is easy to prepare this cauli rice with orange, lime and cilantro recipe if you have a food processor. Simply break a fresh cauliflower into florets and whiz them in the food processor until rice grain-sized. If you don’t have a food processor that is okay, just use a cheese grater instead. It will take longer and you will get a similar result. Continue reading
This easy chicken and peach salad takes mere minutes to put together and it’s a great way to use up leftover cooked chicken. I’ve made it with chicken breast but you could use other cooked chicken pieces or some deli chicken slices. You could even use rotisserie chicken to make this (perhaps, still warm – yum!)
This easy chicken and peach salad is made on a bed of iceberg lettuce, but of course you can switch the iceberg for any variety. Baby salad leaves would be good or chopped romaine. I like to add some lamb’s lettuce or a contrasting variety as well. Then you have the chicken on top, plus some peach for juicy sweetness, and then some crispy, crunchy croutons for a contrasting savory flavor and different texture.
Easy Chicken and Peach Salad Dressing
The easy chicken and peach salad dressing is an interpretation on Marie Rose sauce or thousand island dressing. The whisky in our easy chicken and peach salad dressing is optional (but throw some in if you have it) or you can use brandy. Actually this sauce is normally served with seafood recipes such as prawn cocktail but it goes just as well with chicken thanks to the chicken’s neutral, simple taste. Continue reading
- What to Expect from Cheilectomy SurgeryA cheilectomy operation is a surgical procedure which is done to remove bone spurs from the big toe. If you suffer from big toe pain or stiffness, big toe arthritis or hallux rigidus, this operation might help you. You will want to know what to expect from cheilectomy surgery if you or a loved one are going to have this surgery. I am writing this lens about what to expect from cheilectomy (sometimes misspelled kailectomy or chilectomy) because I had the procedure myself nearly 2 years ago. I want to share my own experience and tell you what to expect. I also have some great tips, as someone who has been through a cheilectomy surgery. This .....
- Best Ceramic Butter DishesThere are many additions that you can add to your tableware which will enhance your dining experience, including ceramic butter dishes. A ceramic butter dish is a traditional way of storing your butter, which will ensure that it remains in excellent condition. Blue Bird Ceramic Butter Dish, on Amazon Butter is a perfect accompaniment to many different dishes so it is common to have it on the table while eating. This is why investing in ceramic butter dishes is a great idea so you can present the butter in something attractive rather than just in the package or on a saucer. Serving butter at the correct temperature is an art form, and you may .....
- Lamb Crackslaw with Hoisin SauceThis recipes uses leftover lamb, but you could use any leftover meat to make it. Just chop it into small pieces and then you can add it to the recipe. The vegetables add flavor and color to the dish, and you can feel free to use your favorites. I love lamb crackslaw because it’s tasty and oh so filling. If you want to swap the carrot for broccoli, for example, go ahead. This could be served with a starch on the side, but I usually just have it as it is, because it is satisfying enough like that. In fact it is really filling. This recipe is really appealing and even if you are not following a low carb diet you will love it. Hoisin sauce .....
- Watermelon Radish Recipes Cooked and RawWhat is a watermelon radish, you might be wondering. It could be you have spotted watermelon radishes at your local market and you are curious what to do with such a vegetable. What kind of watermelon radish recipes are there? Maybe you are looking for a good watermelon recipe. Well I purchased some of these at my local market, and I have been experimenting! First of all, what is a watermelon radish anyway? Well, this vegetable is an edible globular root with green leaves and thin stems. The outside is whitish and the flesh is bright pink. It is tender-crisp and firm in texture. It tastes mild and a little peppery. You might taste some .....
- Easy Pan Fried Tuna with a Sesame CrustThis tuna with a sesame crust is a fabulous way to showcase the wonderful flavor of fresh tuna, and you will not believe just how easy this recipe is to make, even if you’re new to cooking fresh fish or don’t often do it Even a total novice in the kitchen will be able to pull this recipe off and end up with a very impressive dish. To make it, you just need some tuna steaks and sesame seeds, both black and white, and then some oil for frying and salt to add extra flavor. In addition to that you will need a big nonstick skillet. Tips for Cooking Tuna with a Sesame Crust There is nothing hard about cooking fresh fish, especially not .....
- Yummy 3 Minute Ice Coffee RecipeI have always loved ice coffee but find it prohibitively expensive in the coffee shops. There are plenty of ice coffee recipes online but many are too time-consuming to bother with, advising you to brew the coffee for 18 hours with mint leaves or add an array of ingredients which you probably don’t already have. That was my inspiration behind this 3 minute ice coffee recipe. The following recipe is for a basic ice coffee but of course you can jazz it up however you wish, adding syrups, sprinkles and cream on top, a shot of liqueur or whatever tickles your taste buds today. Flavored Syrups for this 3 Minute Ice Coffee Recipe I have a .....
- Easy Chinese Chicken Stir FryThis easy Chinese chicken stir fry is the simplest Chinese recipe ever, and once you make it you will certainly want to make it again and again. We are using chicken and vegetables, along with a flavorful sauce, and this makes a wonderful dinner served with rice, noodles or your favorite Asian side dish. You will need skinless, boneless chicken breast to make this easy Chinese chicken stir fry, along with vegetables (either snow peas and water chestnuts or carrots, or anything else you like, such as mushrooms, bamboo shoots, broccoli or bell pepper). The sauce for the easy Chinese chicken stir fry is up to you. I like to combine 2 .....
- Hungarian Venison Goulash StewThis Hungarian venison goulash stew is a real winter warmer of a recipe, offering amazing comfort food for those chilly fall and winter evenings. An authentic Hungarian recipe, this is sure to fill even the hungriest belly, and it is easy to make as well, even if you are new to cooking venison, new to making stews, or just never made this particular recipe before. The results will be great. Serving Hungarian Venison Goulash Stew Serve this Hungarian venison goulash stew with mashed potatoes, fluffy white rice, dumplings, vegetables, or anything else you want. Personally I like garlic mashed potatoes with plenty of butter mashed into them! .....
- Seafood Soup RecipeThis seafood soup recipe is made from scratch, so you will get all that amazing seafood flavour you love so much. Whether you are using lobster, crab, prawns or a mixture, the flavor is amazing. The better the seafood broth you use in this seafood soup recipe, the better it is going to taste. Whenever you are basing a whole recipe on a broth you need to make sure you use something of quality. It is so important. Great Ingredients Blend Together There are quite a few different ingredients in this seafood soup recipe but use them all and you will be so glad you did. The most important ingredients are the seafood and whatever you use to make .....
- Renovate Your Bathroom Like a ProBathrooms are an area that can be entirely different to every other style that you have applied throughout your home. Learn how to renovate your bathroom like a pro and you can come up with something unique and perfect for the small (or not so small) space you have in there. There is a huge amount of different decorating ideas, which will suit your taste, style and budget. Regardless of how much money you have to spend on the decorating, you will find that there are some fantastic ideas. Take your time when deciding what kind of style you want to go for and figuring out how to renovate your bathroom, because just because somethings looks .....