Dieting isn’t always easy. If it was, we would all be slim, right? The problem with a lot of diets is you have to deprive yourself of your favorite foods (you know, all those ones that taste good) and feel hungry in order to shed a pound or two, if you’re lucky. So what about carb blockers – everything you need to know about these might just convince you to give them a try but honestly, do they really work?
Reducing the intake of carbs is a popular way of lowering weight, and you can try diets such as Atkins to show you how to keep your carbs very low.
The problem with diets like this is they eliminate (at least in the interim phase) healthy carbs such as sweet potatoes and strawberries as well as the bad ones like ice cream and soda.
White rice, white pasta, processed foods, pastries and high-sugar sodas are largely responsible for obesity, at least to a degree.
Nobody ever got fat eating too many strawberries. Well, not unless they top them with mountains of ice cream anyway. Continue reading
There is low carb bread and there is this very low carb bread recipe. If you’ve been doing Atkins or low carbing for a while, you will have tried some of the more ‘eggy’ or ‘dense’ breads and while they are passable (just!) they aren’t exactly a good bread substitute.
Some low carbers will forgo the bread entirely, choosing to wrap their burger or sandwich in a large lettuce leaf instead and while there is nothing wrong with that, sometimes it’s nice to have something a bit chewier and more bready, even if it isn’t going to be that high-carb processed stuff you used to eat before.
There are various names for the very low carb bread recipe I am talking about – revolution rolls, cloud bread, oopsie bread, each having a slightly different recipe and preparation technique.
Here I am sharing what I found works best of all, and that’s a bread which is easy to make, uses clean ingredients (ie, not processed) and is low in carbs but offers a nice taste and chewy bread-ish texture. Continue reading
This cauliflower nasi goreng – low carb and tasty – might well earn a place on your regular meal rotation. It’s just so special! Nasi goreng is a delicious dish from Indonesia, which I’ve enjoyed plenty of times since moving to the Netherlands, since the Dutch are very much into Indonesian foods.
Although this is a rice-based dish and you might think no way can that be low carb, swap the rice for cauliflower and it will be! Also, because this is a spicy dish (a dish with spices, not necessary ‘hot’ if you don’t want it to be) you won’t taste the cauliflower.
What is Nasi Gorgeng?
The name ‘nasi goreng’ means fried rice in Malay and Indonesian, and the term can refer to pre-cooked rice with a little cooking fat and kecap manis, which is a sweet soy sauce. Shallot, tamarind, chili and garlic are typical ingredients, along with egg, shrimp and/or chicken. Sometimes salted dried fish are used instead of the other proteins.
This recipe is known as Indonesian although it is also popular in Malaysia, the Netherlands and Singapore. Nasi goreng can be enjoyed everywhere from roadside stands in Indonesia to Jakarta buffet tables or fine restaurants. This is known as the national dish of Indonesia, although I’m not sure what the locals would make of this low carb cauliflower nasi goreng variation. This dish was developed as a way to avoid wasting cooked rice, since frying can stop dangerous microbes propagating especially before refrigeration was commonplace like it is today. Continue reading
Some More Hot Content For You
Cauliflower rice, also known as cauli rice, is a low-calorie, low-carb alternative to regular rice. You can make it with a food processor or, if you don’t have one, a cheese grater. There are different ways to cook cauliflower rice recipes too, such as on the stove, in the oven, or even in the microwave. Although cauliflower obviously doesn’t share the exact same flavor as rice, you can get the appearance and texture very close.
It is well worth knowing how to make cauliflower rice recipes, even if you are not trying to reduce your carb or calorie intake. Cauliflower is rich in protein, thiamin, niacin, riboflavin, phosphorus, magnesium, vitamins C, K, B6, potassium, manganese and pantothenic acid. It is very low in cholesterol and saturated fat.
Whether you are looking for a paleo cauliflower rice, Mexican cauliflower rice or coconut cauliflower rice recipe, or something else, there are certainly a lot of different recipes to choose from, both mild and spicy, traditional and exotic, vegetarian, vegan and anything else you can think of.
Cauliflower rice, or cauli rice as it is affectionately known, is a wonderful substitute for rice, offering a mere fraction of the calories and carbs or rice, yet offering a very similar texture and a neutral flavor. You can do so much with it and there are plenty of cauliflower rice recipes to choose from. This cauli rice with orange, lime and cilantro recipe is easy to prepare and it’s yummy!
I like to use a medium or strong-flavored sauce to disguise the cauliflower flavor – not that cauliflower has much of a taste at all, but just to make it as rice-like as possible. Try Chinese rice with cauliflower instead of rice, or consider Mexican cauli rice or Italian flavors.
It is easy to prepare this cauli rice with orange, lime and cilantro recipe if you have a food processor. Simply break a fresh cauliflower into florets and whiz them in the food processor until rice grain-sized. If you don’t have a food processor that is okay, just use a cheese grater instead. It will take longer and you will get a similar result. Continue reading
This easy chicken and peach salad takes mere minutes to put together and it’s a great way to use up leftover cooked chicken. I’ve made it with chicken breast but you could use other cooked chicken pieces or some deli chicken slices. You could even use rotisserie chicken to make this (perhaps, still warm – yum!)
This easy chicken and peach salad is made on a bed of iceberg lettuce, but of course you can switch the iceberg for any variety. Baby salad leaves would be good or chopped romaine. I like to add some lamb’s lettuce or a contrasting variety as well. Then you have the chicken on top, plus some peach for juicy sweetness, and then some crispy, crunchy croutons for a contrasting savory flavor and different texture.
Easy Chicken and Peach Salad Dressing
The easy chicken and peach salad dressing is an interpretation on Marie Rose sauce or thousand island dressing. The whisky in our easy chicken and peach salad dressing is optional (but throw some in if you have it) or you can use brandy. Actually this sauce is normally served with seafood recipes such as prawn cocktail but it goes just as well with chicken thanks to the chicken’s neutral, simple taste. Continue reading
- Carisma Potatoes – Diabetic Low GI PotatoesWhen my husband was diagnosed with Type II diabetes a few months back, he was told to avoid sugary foods along with processed food, white potatoes, white pasta, white rice, milk chocolate and, well, the list went on. Being a Dutchman he is very into bread and potatoes so he thought those would be hard to quit. He eats whole wheat bread and the occasional sweet potato, both of which are OK for him, but I knew he missed the other stuff. And then we discovered Carisma potatoes! Carisma Potatoes – How We Discovered Them Anyway, to cut what could be a long story short, last weekend at the supermarket I spotted something called .....
- Vegan Quinoa Salad with Garlic Lime DressingAlthough nobody ever gets tired of pasta salad or rice salad recipes, there is something so special about a vegan quinoa salad, perhaps because of its unusual texture or because it is something different to what you usually have. This salad is especially good because the quinoa is combined with a variety of tasty veggies as well as seasonings. The following vegan quinoa salad recipe shows you how to make an easy quinoa salad using this delicious grain. Quinoa (pronounced keen-wah) is easy to cook and work with and combines well with various flavors. If you are new to using this grain, then you will enjoy the following recipe and once you .....
- Carb Blockers – Everything You Need to KnowDieting isn’t always easy. If it was, we would all be slim, right? The problem with a lot of diets is you have to deprive yourself of your favorite foods (you know, all those ones that taste good) and feel hungry in order to shed a pound or two, if you’re lucky. So what about carb blockers – everything you need to know about these might just convince you to give them a try but honestly, do they really work? Reducing the intake of carbs is a popular way of lowering weight, and you can try diets such as Atkins to show you how to keep your carbs very low. The problem with diets like this is they eliminate (at least in the .....
- Best Baked Chicken Breast with Cream of Chicken SoupThis baked chicken breast with cream of chicken recipe is quick and easy. It makes a great family dinner and everyone at the table will enjoy it. All you need to make this is chicken, a can of cream of chicken soup, milk, and poultry seasoning. The resulting baked chicken breast with cream of chicken is juicy and delicious, and pairs wonderfully with mashed potatoes, pasta or rice, and pretty much any vegetable. Try asparagus, broccoli, carrots, corn on the cob, or even colorful mixed veggies. An Incredibly Easy Baked Chicken Breast Recipe Anyone can make this baked chicken breast with cream of chicken recipe because it is really simple, .....
- Incredible Pink Diamond RingsLook at these amazing pink diamond rings. Every lady loves diamonds. They are a girl’s best friend after all. But pink ones can be truly stunning, and they are really popular at the moment, especially in celebrity circles. Have you seen a real pink diamond? These stones are incredible. You can get real, lab-created or imitation pink diamonds of varying qualities. So pick something which fits not only your style but your budget. Different Options for Different Budgets You can get a pink ‘diamondlike’ CZ ring for $20 or a high quality genuine one for $10,000. It depends how much you are willing to spend on pink diamond rings......
- Easy 3 Ingredient RecipesThere are easy 3 ingredient recipes for every occasion, season and palate. Perhaps you are in the mood to make a hearty meat dinner or something fancy with fish. It could be that you are looking for easy 3 ingredient recipes for the crockpot because you are going to be out all day and you know you’ll get home late and want to eat dinner and fall into a comfy chair in front of the TV with something already made. Or what about making three ingredient sauces or dips for your meat, fish or chips? Some of our drinks recipes are sure to tempt you too. There are recipes for every skill level, whether you have barely set food in the kitchen .....
- Seafood Soup RecipeThis seafood soup recipe is made from scratch, so you will get all that amazing seafood flavour you love so much. Whether you are using lobster, crab, prawns or a mixture, the flavor is amazing. The better the seafood broth you use in this seafood soup recipe, the better it is going to taste. Whenever you are basing a whole recipe on a broth you need to make sure you use something of quality. It is so important. Great Ingredients Blend Together There are quite a few different ingredients in this seafood soup recipe but use them all and you will be so glad you did. The most important ingredients are the seafood and whatever you use to make .....
- Best Wine Cooler for the HomeA wine cooler for the home is something you might want to consider. Wine coolers are becoming popular additions as more people include wine with every social gathering. Even if you do not enjoy a daily tipple you can still store your bottles in a cooler until required, then you know it will be the perfect temperature to serve. Not only is wine served for events and parties but as an everyday drink, which is enjoyed throughout the day. Storing the bottles can be a challenge, as you need to ensure that it is chilled correctly and the contents remain in perfect condition. This is why a wine cooler for the home could help. If you do not store .....
- Traditional British AppetizersTraditional British Appetizers from all Over the UK It’s true that the UK is home to so many delicious traditional British appetizers. Whether you fancy reproducing the tasty dishes from English, Ireland, Scotland or Wales, there are lots of different recipes you can play around with, to make the most mouthwatering dishes for your friends or family. From classic English prawn cocktail to Scottish seafood dishes, Irish onion rings with Guinness or Welsh rarebit, there are traditional british appetizers for all occasions. These starter recipes, as they are known in the UK, or appetizers as they are known in the US, offer something for .....
- Easy Pakora RecipeBefore we go into the details of our easy pakora recipe you might be wondering what is pakora exactly. That is a very good question! Pakoras are made by combining grated or finely chopped vegetables (and perhaps other ingredients) with Indian spices, then cooking the results in little balls until crispy, either frying or baking them. Hot and Typically Indian This crispy Indian snack is best served hot. There are different types of pakora, and you can use meat to make it or even keep it vegetarian. These treats may be served alongside other Indian favorites, such as a chicken curry and rice, or you can enjoy them as an appetizer. Some people .....