I’ve been living in Holland for several years and cooked speklappen, also known as speklapjes, for my husband a number of times. Speklappen or speklapjes (the same thing) means pork belly slices. You can get these quite cheap and they are easy to cook. Also, you can use them in a number of different recipes including the following Dutch speklappen or speklapjes recipe.
The best way to cook these is in a little oil. Get the oil hot in a skillet or frying pan, then add the speklapjes in one layer and fry them. You will see them turn golden brown and crispy. Flip them halfway through cooking so they cook evenly on both sides.
You can then toss them in your favorite Asian sauce and serve them over egg noodles or egg fried rice, or else have them over mashed potatoes with gravy, or just serve them as they are with your chosen side dishes. That’s how simple it is to prepare a Dutch speklappen or speklapjes recipe which the whole family will enjoy.
Pork tenderloin suits flavors like fruit, apple or even ginger, which is why we are using ginger in this roasted pork recipe. Along with thyme, the ginger gives the pork a really good flavor, and after the pork is cooked, we are giving it a couple of minutes under the broiler just to crisp up the top and caramelize the preserves, adding a mouthwatering sweetness and crunch. This ginger roasted pork recipe is sure not to disappoint.
This is wonderful served with mashed potatoes and perhaps some roasted vegetables. You might want to arrange some chopped veggies around the pork and roast them together. Leftover pork can be served with potato salad and some baby salad leaves the following day perhaps, or used to make sandwiches.
Swap the Ginger for Another Flavor if You Want
If you prefer to use another kind of preserves rather than the ginger, then that would be OK. Try some kind of dark berry such as blackcurrant or black cherry, or even apple preserves. The thyme can be omitted if you don’t have any or else why not try marjoram instead?
An Important Tip for your Ginger Roasted Pork
It is important to let the pork rest for 10 minutes when you take it out of the oven. This allows the juices to redistribute in the meat and makes for a better, juicier result. This recipe is really easy and you will love how the pork tastes. Pork is cheap, tasty and full of flavor. It makes a great change from the quick and easy pasta, pizza and chicken recipes you might often find yourself making mid-week for lack of other inspiration.
Some More Hot Content For You
This delicious lasagna with ricotta and Italian sausage is a snap to make and it freezes well too if you wrap individual portions in plastic wrap and then aluminum foil. Simply unwrap and reheat any time you want to enjoy this ricotta lasagna again. If you want to use ground beef rather than the Italian sausage, go ahead.
Tasty Lasagna with Ricotta and Italian Sausage Additions
Some people like to add some sage to the sausage or use sweet sausage instead of the hot kind and add some red chili flakes. You know which you like best, so go ahead and choose your favorite kind when preparing this lasagna with ricotta and Italian sausage. If you want to use a ready-made, herbed tomato-based sauce rather than the tomato sauce and canned tomatoes, again go ahead.
As well as our basic ingredients in this lasagna with ricotta and Italian sausage recipe, which are the meat, 3 cheeses, lasagna noodles and tomatoes, we are using garlic, parsley, oregano, basil to add aromatic accents to the overall flavor of this dish. After preparing the various components we are going to layer them in a glass lasagna dish, then bake the lasagna in the oven.
Slavink is a Dutch meat recipe you will spot in grocery stores in the Netherlands, nestled in the pork area. These can best be described as a rectangular meatball wrapped in bacon. Go back in history and you will find a Dutch slavink recipe was originally a small songbird wrapped in bacon.
In the south of Europe you can still find such a dish despite many people trying to outlaw the dish, but the modern Dutch version used ground beef and/or pork instead. In fact many of them use a half beef/half pork mixture to create a Dutch slavink recipe which is popular locally.
Butchers in the Netherlands make their own slavinken, which is the Dutch plural of slavink. We suggest you make a batch of them too because they freeze well. If you want to do this with your Dutch slavink recipe , wrap them individually in plastic wrap and then put them all in one large Ziploc bag. Let them thaw overnight or for at least 12 hours before using.
The size you make the slavinken is up to you. Some people make them big, like one per serving, while others prefer smaller ones – several per serving. Because these Dutch meatballs are wrapped in bacon which releases fat in the pan, you will not need to add much, if any fat to the pan. Serve them with mashed potatoes, mushrooms and onion, for a traditional Dutch recipe.
Traditional Chinese food recipes are fascinating and following these will allow you to prepare the meal as it has been made and enjoyed for centuries. Every element of the authentic Chinese wonton soup recipe including the ingredients, preparation and serving suggestions are authentic.
The original style of preparing and cooking the Chinese recipes are incredible, and will allow you to indulge in top quality Chinese foods, keeping things traditional at every stage.
Ensuring that Chinese Food Recipes are Traditional
You may enjoy Chinese food, but what you purchase in the local takeout or eat at a Chinese buffet is unlikely to be traditionally Chinese. This means if you have the opportunity to experience traditional Chinese recipes as they should be prepared, you will be surprised. The taste, texture and preparation methods are likely to be incredibly different. Try this authentic Chinese wonton soup to start your taste buds off on your culinary journey.
Wontons are great when served as a snack or appetizer and if you have only ever eaten meat ones in a Chinese restaurant or had them from a takeout, you really are in store for a treat when you make your own easy wonton recipes with pork. Any home cook will be able to manage this recipe without too much effort although, like with most dishes, the more you make these, the easier the process will seem to become.
Different Cooking Methods for Easy Wonton Recipes with Pork
Deep-fry them for crispy, crunchy snacks, or steam or simmer them for a softer result. You could even poach them in your favorite broth for a wonderfully warming lunch or supper. Yes wontons really are that versatile and you can choose whether you want them for an appetizer or the main dish, choosing whether you make a few crispy ones to kick off your dinner in style, adding an oriental accent to the meal, or prepare a homemade wonton soup full of delicious homemade wontons.
Another possibility is potstickers, those soft wontons with a crispy side that are made in a pan. Any of these would make a wonderful appetizer or entree. Nothing beats wontons sometimes, and there are easy wonton recipes with pork for every palate.
- Hawaiian Poke Co, Spring | Great Poke in HoustonPoke (pronounced po-kay, let’s get that out of the way first!) is currently a huge craze here in Houston, and actually nationwide. There are poke restaurants springing up all over the place as this tasty way of serving seafood takes off. Talking of ‘springing up’ there is a new poke restaurant in Spring, just north of Houston and south of The Woodlands. Spring is part of the Houston-Sugar Land-Woodlands metropolitan area. Hawaiian Poke Co, Spring, is one of the newcomers to this seafood lovers’ arena. This poke restaurant opened just a few weeks back, occupying Howie’s Tiki bar until 9pm when Howie’s .....
- Crack Slaw with Chicken and Red OnionChicken is a nice meat to use if you want to enjoy that classic crackslaw flavor but limit the amount of calories. Of course beef is tasty but it is high in calories so if you are counting those too, or at least keeping an eye on your red meat intake, you might like to consider using chicken instead. This crack slaw with chicken recipe is simple to prepare and you will love the flavor. This recipe is made with chicken breast, which is a lean part of the bird, but is still flavorful and will soak up the lovely Asian seasonings used in the recipe. Delicious Chicken CrackslawThe following recipe makes use of mushrooms, red onion, carrot and .....
- Best Julienne PeelersEveryone needs one of the best julienne peelers in their kitchen drawer in 2017! One of these little gadgets will glide effortlessly over your vegetables to peel them or give you matchstick-thin pieces or little strips. Use these for making coleslaw, for prepping veggies for a salad or for making matching shapes for another use. You can also stir-fry or saute them and they cook very quickly when they are cut so finely. When reading reviews for these the main thing is how well the device in question works, and also how easy it is to use. There are different ones to choose from and whichever one you choose depends how often you plan to use it .....
- Marsala Chicken with AsparagusMarsala chicken is a tasty Italian dish which you can find not only in the best Italian restaurants but also in your very own kitchen if you choose to follow this marsala chicken with asparagus recipe. This marsala chicken with asparagus dish is made with chicken thighs which offer more flavor than breast, and are also juicier and more succulent. Chicken thighs are harder to overcook and dry out than chicken breast. Leek, fennel and asparagus make up the vegetable content of the dish. As well as the chicken and veggies, this Italian Marsala chicken recipe features lemon juice, Marsala wine and parsley, to bring out all the delicious flavors .....
- 7 Ways to Cook Salmon FiletsThere are plenty of ways to cook salmon filets, which is good news if you love this tasty, healthy fish. Salmon is one of the most popular choices when it comes to fish, along with tuna and cod. These 3 fish are often known as ‘the big 3’ because they are so popular. Salmon has a distinctive flavor which pairs well with just about any cuisine, whether you are adding teriyaki and sesame seeds, hoisin or soy sauce for an Asian feel, lemon and parsley along with white wine for a Western European dish, or even barbecue sauce, avocado and tortillas for a Tex-Mex feast. So what are some of the ways to cook salmon filets? Well salmon can be baked, .....
- Oak Kitchen Cabinet PaintingOak cabinets are beautiful but they can be tricky to paint because of the way the grain is in the wood. Oak tends to have a heavy grain and when you paint over the grain it tends to show through, even if you apply more than one coat of paint. This is what makes oak kitchen cabinet painting trickier than you might at first think. You need to even out the wood grain surface before you begin oak kitchen cabinet painting and this means you should apply wood grain filler before paint. Wood grain filler smooths the cabinets and fills in between the grains, giving a nice finish. Of course you must let your coat of wood grain filler dry properly .....
- Parma Ham with Melon RecipeThis Parma ham with melon recipe is super easy and makes a great bite before any kind of main meal. Parma ham and melon are wonderful together. The delicate texture and saltiness of the Parma ham is the perfect contrast to the juicy sweetness of the melon. No wonder this is such a classic starter recipe. Always Up to Date Not only is this Parma ham with melon recipe a classic flavor pairing but it is also a timeless starter. What could be simpler than draping thin slices of ham over melon wedges? You only need 2 ingredients to make it so this is a good dish for any home chef to work on, even a total beginner. If you can make a cup of tea, .....
- Thai Corn FrittersThese delicious spicy Thai corn fritters are so quick and simple to put together and they make a tasty appetizer or side dish. All you need to make these is some corn kernels (you can use drained canned corn, or even thawed corn kernels), a little flour and an egg. Then to finish off you just need some minced or finely chopped chili pepper and a little Thai fish sauce. How to Serve Thai Corn Fritters Try these as a side dish or appetizer, or make them as the main dish, perhaps with some tasty salad on the side. You might like to make a batch of Thai appetizers to showcase these, so everyone can try different Thai treats, or else just make .....
- How to Cook Gammon SteakGammon steak is one of the most delicious treats you can have for your dinner. Learn how to cook gammon steak and you will be able to make a delicious meal. If you have not enjoyed this juicy treat in a while you might be in the mood for it tonight, in which case read on and find out how to prepare it like a pro for juicy and succulent results. Gammon steak cooks quickly and some people accidentally overcook it, which you will want to avoid. What is Gammon Steak Anyway? If you are in the UK you will probably already know what gammon is, but our friends across the Pond might not! Gammon comes from an Old Northern French word .....
- Best Rolling BackpackFirst things first, so what is a rolling backpack? A rolling backpack is a backpack on wheels, although it also has straps so you can carry it on your back. This is an excellent idea for students, to ensure that you do not damage your back whilst transporting all of your books and materials. The best rolling backpack is going to be a great investment. As the amount of books needed for classes increases, the strain on your back can be intense. However, with the rolling backpack, you will apply no pressure to your back, and can ensure that you can transport everything you need. Best Rolling Backpack: Handy for Everybody Rolling backpacks are .....