I first tried spinach potato knishes (pronounced kuh-NISH-es) at Kenny and Ziggy’s in Houston TX, and wow was this some spectacular comfort food. I’m British so I am used to Cornish pasties (a tasty pastry-enclosed meat and potato recipe from the southwest corner of England) and I also enjoy pastry-wrapped or pastry-enclosed vegetable recipes for lunch or as snacks.
What are knishes, I asked myself, perusing the menu. Google to the rescue and I read the description. My mouth began to water and I thought wow I have to order these! So, now you’re asking what are knishes exactly? Well this tasty Jewish recipe is a savory pie. Knishes can be filled with potatoes, meat, sauerkraut, kasha, cheese, onions, spinach or a combination of these. Knishes may be baked, grilled or fried. The flavor remains similar but the spinach potato knishes texture varies depending on the cooking method employed.
Spinach potato knishes, which like the others are vegetarian knishes, can be compared to other pastry appetizers or baked dumpling type dishes, such as empanadas from Mexico, pasties from the UK, calzone from Italy or pirozhki from Russia. You can also compare the format and flavor to Jamaican patties, southeast Asian curry puffs, South and Central Asian samosas, Middle Eastern fatayers and Portuguese rissols.
So what do you do when you have leftover mashed potatoes? It’s a waste to throw them out, but who wants to reheat them and risk cold lumps or dried out mash? Let me come to your rescue with my best leftover mashed potatoes recipe ideas.
Through experimenting I’ve come up with a really good way to use up leftover mashed potato, and this recipe is easy to make and really good. It goes with everything! I made the original mashed potatoes using half Carisma and half sweet potato (my husband’s diabetic so we avoid regular mash) but as usual I made too much!
One of the Best Leftover Mashed Potatoes Recipe Ideas
I mashed a little sour cream into the leftovers, then spread them in a baking dish, topped with parmesan and panko breadcrumbs, and baked in the oven until hot, and until the panko was golden brown. The flavor is really good. The potatoes are piping hot and the texture stays the same. It doesn’t taste like reheated leftovers. Trust me, this is one of the best leftover mashed potatoes recipe dishes you can make.
There are other things to do with leftover mashed potatoes, such as combining them with leftover vegetables, covering in flour and pan-frying in oil until crispy, but this crispy panko mashed potatoes dish is especially good.
The following best leftover mashed potatoes recipe doesn’t mention quantities because I don’t know how much leftover mash you have, but just use a little sour cream then add parmesan and panko to cover in a thin layer. If the panko browns too fast, wrap some foil around the baking dish. If it doesn’t brown enough give it a couple minutes under the broiler at the end.
Some More Hot Content For You
When my husband was diagnosed with Type II diabetes a few months back, he was told to avoid sugary foods along with processed food, white potatoes, white pasta, white rice, milk chocolate and, well, the list went on. Being a Dutchman he is very into bread and potatoes so he thought those would be hard to quit. He eats whole wheat bread and the occasional sweet potato, both of which are OK for him, but I knew he missed the other stuff. And then we discovered Carisma potatoes!
Carisma Potatoes – How We Discovered Them
Anyway, to cut what could be a long story short, last weekend at the supermarket I spotted something called ‘Carisma potatoes’ and couldn’t believe it when I read the package and discovered they were diabetes-friendly! Diabetic potatoes? How could it be? I decided to buy a package and see what they were like. I wasn’t sure about Carisma potatoes, since I’m not keen on most low-carb breads and candies, and I don’t know if you’ve tried low-carb ‘pasta’ but yeuch!
Carisma potatoes are oval in shape and they have a pale, thin skin. The Carisma potatoes package advises you they can be boiled, mashed or used to make potato salad. To keep them low GI, leave the skin on. The reason for this is that is how they were prepared when their GI (more about that in a minute) was tested. I boiled them, sauteed them, mashed them and also made a potato salad to try them out, and I was really impressed, as was my husband!
This corned beef hash recipe is fantastic and it is versatile enough to be breakfast, brunch, lunch, or just a comfort food snack if you are in the mood for it. The twist is the cream in the recipe and even though that might sound like an odd ingredient for corned beef hash it totally transforms it from good to great, so give this recipe a try and this might be how you make your corned beef hash from now on.
As well as the potatoes and corned beef you will need butter and cream to add a luxurious mouth feel, onion and bell pepper to add nutrients, color and crunch, and some eggs if you wish to garnish your corned beef hash with fried eggs (and that really finishes the dish off beautifully!)
Once the potatoes have been cooked to just tender, you need to drain them well. While the last drops are draining off, you can pulse the corned beef in your food processor, not for long, just until it is chopped coarsely. Continue reading
Chili is always good, especially when served on a baked potato with some grated cheese on top, and perhaps also some sour cream or guacamole if you like it. Try chili with baked potato for lunch and see how satisfying this dish is.
Chili is versatile enough to be tweaked a lot, so not only can you choose how spicy you want it but you can also choose the ingredients which go in there, such as kidney beans or another kind of bean, garlic, even some grated Mexican chocolate or cocoa powder if you wish.
This recipe shows you how to make a simple chili con carne recipe using ingredients guaranteed to come together seamlessly and offer an abundance of flavor. Feel free to make your own tweaks.
A vegetarian might prefer to use Quorn or TVP rather than the meat, while someone who isn’t keen on beans might prefer to leave them out and perhaps add some chopped red bell pepper to the chili mixture instead. The choices is yours. Continue reading
Potato salad is always good, but what if you are in the mood for an elegant gourmet potato salad with walnuts rather than the comfort food style? The following recipe shows you how to add a gourmet twist to this all-American classic recipe, making it perfect for any special occasion.
Potato salad offers not only delicious flavors but also a softness in the mouth, and it is this soft texture that we love. This gourmet potato salad with walnuts recipe features walnuts however, to add an unusual crunch to the dish. You will love how well the sherry vinegar and walnut oil combine, as well as how the other flavors work so nicely in the dish.
Gourmet Potato Salad with Walnuts: Herby and Tasty
The minced fresh herbs work especially nicely in the dish, and you can add some minced chervil to the herbs mixture if you wish. Also, feel free to add other ingredients to the finished salad, such as blue cheese or bacon, if you want to make it more substantial, or serve it as an appetizer rather than a simpler side dish. Continue reading
- Easy Chicken Cacciatore with Thighs and BreastsThis easy chicken cacciatore with thighs and breasts recipe is seriously impressive. With the right wow factor for a dinner party but with an ease of preparation to make the cook smile, you can’t go wrong with a chicken cacciatore recipe. This easy chicken cacciatore with thighs and breasts features chicken as well as wine, fresh herbs, tomato sauce and a few capers for good measure. Garlic and onion also feature for a nice, earthy flavor. Serve your chicken cacciatore with noodles or rice, or even mashed potatoes if you want to have the ‘comfort food’ type appeal, as well as your favorite steamed veggies. What does .....
- Creamy Mushroom StroganoffThis creamy mushroom stroganoff recipe is so good. Combining mushrooms with onion and celery, this nutrient-rich dish is flavored with mixed herbs, basil and stock. You can use chicken or vegetable stock, as you wish. A little parsley and some sour cream is all you need to add to this mixture to finish it off well, perfecting both the flavor and texture of the dish. You might be more familiar with beef stroganoff but this exciting creamy mushroom stroganoff dish is also nice when you use an earthy vegetable to make it and mushrooms are idea. Celery also goes well in this. You can use full-fat or reduced-fat sour cream or crème fraîche to .....
- Blue Cheese Stuffed Venison BurgersIf you are in the mood for a change from your usual homemade burger recipes, why not consider a venison burger recipe instead? These blue cheese stuffed venison burgers are very special indeed. Venison is very lean which means it is best to add some fat to the patties. This ensures they will come out juicy and succulent instead of dry. Some people add bacon trimmings to their blue cheese stuffed venison burgers while others will ask their butcher for any pork fat they don’t need (they might give it to you free!) Venison is very tasty and doesn’t need to be seasoned a lot. A little salt and black pepper along with the meat (and .....
- Lamb Crackslaw with Hoisin SauceThis recipes uses leftover lamb, but you could use any leftover meat to make it. Just chop it into small pieces and then you can add it to the recipe. The vegetables add flavor and color to the dish, and you can feel free to use your favorites. I love lamb crackslaw because it’s tasty and oh so filling. If you want to swap the carrot for broccoli, for example, go ahead. This could be served with a starch on the side, but I usually just have it as it is, because it is satisfying enough like that. In fact it is really filling. This recipe is really appealing and even if you are not following a low carb diet you will love it. Hoisin sauce .....
- Crab Rangoon WontonsCrab rangoon wontons are always popular at buffets and dinner parties. They make a great appetizer before a meat or poultry main course. You can garnish them with fresh dill if you like. Since dill is traditionally served with fish, this will indicate to your dinner guests that the wontons contain fish or seafood. Crab rangoon wontons are known as crab puffs in Pacific northwest states. They might also be called crab meat cheese, cheese crab wontons, crab pillows or crab cheese wontons. Regardless of how you call them, these crab rangoon wontons are always amazing. History of Crab Rangoon Crab rangoon has featured on Trader Vic’s menu since .....
- Mexican Cauli RiceKnowing how to make cauliflower rice is very handy whether you are looking for a low-carb substitute for rice, you are trying to cut down your calories, or you simply want to use up a cauliflower or sneak some added nutrients into your meal. Try this Mexican cauli rice dish for yourself and you’ll be amazed how good it is. This Mexican cauliflower rice recipe is simple to prepare, and it is something you can tweak to your heart’s content. The first thing you need to do of course is transform your raw cauliflower into rice-sized pieces, and the easiest way to do this is to put it in the food processor with a blade attachment and .....
- 100 Calorie Vegetable SoupI love making this 100 calorie vegetable soup but I am quite lazy sometimes! Even though I will go to the trouble of roasting pumpkin to make pumpkin soup or caramelizing onion for French onion soup, other times I like to toss the ingredients into a pot. Then I forget about it for an hour, then puree the results, and actually that’s how you end up with a really good vegetable soup recipe sometimes! If you’re new to making soup (or looking for some vegetable soup ideas) read on for a very easy recipe for 100 calorie vegetable soup. I’d like to share my 100 calorie vegetable soup recipe with you because I’ve made it a .....
- Herring, Potato and Dill Salad RecipeFish and potatoes have been served together for centuries and dill complements both of them. Sour cream, mayonnaise and gherkins finish off this delicious fish starter recipe perfectly. This herring, potato and dill salad recipe is easy to make and suits any occasion. Simple But a Nice Balance There are not many ingredients in this tasty herring recipe and that is because they would be unnecessary. This is a perfectly balanced dish and one of our more interesting starter recipes. Herrings are delicious and if you want ideas for fish starters, this is well worth considering......
- Easy Sauteed Brussels Sprouts RecipeWhen I remember Brussels sprouts from my childhood, unfortunately the memory makes me grimace a bit! I assumed Brussels sprouts were supposed to be soggy and flavorless but actually I have discovered a new way of cooking them. That’s right, read on to discover an easy sauteed Brussels sprouts recipe which might just convert even the most die-hard sprout hater! Although a lot of people just boil them, adding a pinch of bicarbonate of soda to keep them vivid green, sauteing them (cooking them in a pan with some oil or butter) is a much better way to go. I like to trim off the bottom, remove a few outer leaves and then slice them .....
- What is Tex-Mex FoodTo sum up the answer to ‘what is Tex-Mex food’, Tex-Mex cuisine refers to primarily American dishes found in the state of Texas. This cuisine is a blend of American and Mexican foods. Some of these recipes might not be the same as the authentic Mexican version but it is still referred to as ‘Mexican’ in Texas. People in other states sometimes refer to Tex-Mex as ‘Southwestern’ food. Tex-Mex is thought by some people to be the oldest original cuisine in the US. It was named in 1875 and began when the Texas-Mexican Railway was called Tex-Mex for short. This term was also used for Mexicans who were born in .....