This Old Bay shrimp and apple salad is a gorgeous recipe. It looks really nice served in little glasses with edible flowers as a garnish, but it can also be served over lettuce or baby salad leaves if you prefer. This Old Bay shrimp and apple salad is a nice way to begin any kind of meal, and it is especially good during the summer when you don’t want to cook.
We are using shrimp, and you can use little ones or chop larger ones. Make sure they are peeled and deveined first. Canned or thawed shrimp are fine here. You will also need some red apple and onion for crunch. The dressing for our Old Bay shrimp and apple salad is made with mayonnaise, Worcestershire sauce, Old Bay seasoning and lemon juice.
Old Bay Shrimp and Apple Salad Tweaks
If you want, you can add other ingredients to the Old Bay shrimp and apple salad mix. We suggest diced celery, chopped walnuts or diced cheddar cheese. You might even want to add a little fresh dill weed or chopped chives. The recipe is nice as it is, so you might not want to add anything else to it. Also take care not to overwhelm the delicate flavors by adding too many other flavors to the mix.
Shrimp is a great addition to salad recipes. It offers a subtle, light flavor and goes well with many other salad ingredients. A base of salad leaves or spinach can be topped with hot, warm or chilled cooked shrimp along with other things like pineapple chunks or mandarin segments for sweetness, walnuts or cashews for crunch, cherry tomatoes for color and anything else you want to add to your healthy easy shrimp salad recipe.
You can cook shrimp in various ways, such as deep-frying, stir-frying, boiling, baking or grilling. If you want to pan-fry the shrimp, they will only take a couple of minutes, as will boiling or grilling, although if you want to grill or bake them, you will need to wait for the grill or oven to heat up first. Then cook them to perfection for your healthy easy shrimp salad recipe.
How Do You Know When Shrimp is Cooked?
Shrimp starts off a grayish color and turns pink when it is ready. When you see this color change it means your shrimp is done.
A healthy easy shrimp salad recipe belongs in various cuisines. You might like to keep the ingredients very simple and add some ranch or caesar dressing for an American flavor, marinate the shrimp in soy sauce to give them an Asian flavor, or even saute them with curry powder and other spices then serve them with a yogurt-based dressing for an Indian taste on your plate. Continue reading
Some More Hot Content For You
Shrimp, or prawns as they are also known, are great for making succulent shrimp sandwiches. Simply peel and cook them, then toss with mayonnaise, adding in some salt and black pepper for flavor, and spread this over white bread (or whole wheat if you prefer) to make the most delicious little succulent shrimp sandwiches.
These succulent shrimp sandwiches are nice for lunch or as a snack, or you could enjoy them mid-afternoon with tea or coffee. If you have large shrimp, cut them in half. Smaller ones can be left as they are.
You can use thawed, fresh or canned shrimp in this succulent shrimp sandwiches recipe but ensure they are well drained before you start. If you have raw shrimp, bring a pot of water to a boil then drop the shrimp in and cook for a couple of minutes or until they are pink. Continue reading
This is my current favorite crunch Asian salad with sesame dressing recipe. It contrasts crunchy and soft ingredients and boasts a wonderful Asian flavor in every mouthful. What really finishes it off perfectly is the roasted sesame dressing. I like to use rice noodles for this, although egg noodles would also work, or even thick udon noodles.
For the vegetables in this Asian salad with sesame dressing, I like to use edamame beans, grated carrot and radish. You can either thaw some frozen shelled edamame beans or use fresh shelled ones, as you prefer.
Buy grated carrot to save time when making an Asian salad with sesame dressing, else you can shred or grate your own in, maybe in a food processor or using a julienne peeler. If you want to use other ingredients instead, consider blanched broccoli florets or asparagus spears. Continue reading
This is very typical food in Thailand, and you can find Thai fried rice with shrimp (or chicken or another protein) served everywhere from a food stand on the street corner to a fine Thai food restaurant. There are different ways to make Thai fried rice with shrimp and you can usually specify which meat you want to have in there. When making Thai fried rice, you can use up any meats or seafood and veggies left in the refrigerator so if you have leftovers it is a great way to use them up.
More about Thai Fried Rice with Shrimp
Unlike Chinese fried rice and some other kinds, Thai fried rice comes with a wedge of lime on the side along with prik nam pla, which is chilies and fish sauce combined together. Use the following recipe as a starting point, adjusting the ingredients to match what you happen to have available.
It is always best to use day-old cooked rice to make your Thai fried rice with shrimp, because freshly cooked rice is too moist and will steam instead of fry. If that isn’t possible though, just ensure your rice has time to cool down because this will dry it out quite well.
If you want to make your own prik nam pla (fish and chili sauce) to serve with this (and you really should, for an authentic Thai rice flavor!) then you should put 3 tablespoons of fish sauce in a bowl and add 4 sliced Thai chilies. Squeeze in the juice of half a lime if you like, although the lime is optional.
There are not many exact recipes in Cajun cooking, because most of it is done to taste not to measurements, and the same dish can be prepared a different way each time, even by the same chef. This is because Cajun cuisine is an art form and the result of the dish depends on the mood of the chef as well as what happens to be in the refrigerator and cupboards. This means creating classic Cajun food is largely about getting a ‘feel’ for the ingredients and flavors.
Although there are plenty of adaptations and tweaks you can make when making classic Cajun food, if you do want to follow a recipe it can be hard to find the right ingredients outside the New Orleans area. The fresh spices and seasonings can be hard to get, along with ingredients like Andouille sausage and fresh crawfish.
If you want to learn how to make classic Cajun food though, it is essential to get the ingredients so check grocery stores with Cajun seasonings or visit a specialty food market. A lot of Cajun recipes need time to simmer so set the scene with some jazz music and prepare for a wonderful eating experience like no other.
- Lamb Coconut Curry with Sweet PotatoThis lamb coconut curry with sweet potato recipe uses ground lamb rather than stewing lamb, and also includes sweet potato and peas, if you like, along with coconut milk, garlic, ginger, and curry powder to season it and add the flavors. This is a winter warmer and something lovely to enjoy on a chilly evening, to make a change from the beef or chicken curry recipes you usually prepare. An easy curry recipe to make, this lamb coconut curry with sweet potato dish is sure to appeal to all the family, and if you wish to tweak it, for example by swapping the sweet potato for pumpkin, the peas for garbanzo beans, or hot curry powder instead of .....
- Easy Freekeh SaladBefore you think about making this easy freekeh salad you might be wondering about this grain. What is freekeh, you might be thinking, and that is a very good question because a lot of people have never heard of this particular grain. Freekeh can also be spelt frikeh, and it is known as farik as well. This cereal food is made from green wheat which goes through a roasting process. It is traditional in Arabian cuisine along with North African and some other cuisines. The wheat is harvested while the seeds are soft and the grains are yellow, and then it is sun-dried. Piles of freekeh are set on fire and the straw and chaff burn, leaving the .....
- Sticky Spare Ribs with Chinese Leaves and Noodles RecipeThis tasty oriental recipe will get your dinner off to a good start. Serve these sticky spare ribs with Chinese leaves and noodles and everyone is sure to enjoy the exotic Eastern flavor. Don’t worry if you haven’t cooked ribs before – they just need to roast. These ribs are sticky so if you make this starter recipe, you might want to give out finger bowls or wet flannels. In fact, you really should. How to Cook Spare Ribs Spare ribs should be crispy on the outside but juicy on the inside. There is nothing worse than overcooked meat and ‘well done’ simply does not apply to spare ribs. When they are cooked .....
- Easy Chinese Chicken Stir FryThis easy Chinese chicken stir fry is the simplest Chinese recipe ever, and once you make it you will certainly want to make it again and again. We are using chicken and vegetables, along with a flavorful sauce, and this makes a wonderful dinner served with rice, noodles or your favorite Asian side dish. You will need skinless, boneless chicken breast to make this easy Chinese chicken stir fry, along with vegetables (either snow peas and water chestnuts or carrots, or anything else you like, such as mushrooms, bamboo shoots, broccoli or bell pepper). The sauce for the easy Chinese chicken stir fry is up to you. I like to combine 2 .....
- Hot Herring Starter Recipe with Mustard SauceMustard and white wine sauce goes beautifully with many types of fish and herring is no exception. The following hot herring starter recipe combines potatoes, herring, onion and mustard sauce for a full flavored starter recipe. The herring is flavored with lemon juice and grilled, the potatoes are boiled and the onion is served raw, to make a crunchy and piquant garnish. How to Serve this Hot Herring Starter This fish appetizer is suitable for a buffet table or a dinner party. Just serve it with a big serving spoon and let people help themselves. You can serve extra mustard sauce on the side if you like, as well as underneath the potato .....
- 12 Crockpot Recipes for Weight LossThe following crockpot recipes for weight loss are perfect for making in a slow cooker. One of the benefits to using a crockpot is you can tip the ingredients in there in the morning, then go to work or out for the day. When you get home your meal will be ready! This mean you don’t have to stand over the stove, nibbling on snacks you shouldn’t be having, but you can eat your healthy meal right away. A crockpot, also known as a slow cooker, is an electrical appliance used to gently simmer food. The temperature is kept low so your food slowly cooks over a period of hours. A basic model should have a low and a high setting while others might .....
- Lasagna with Ricotta and Italian SausageThis delicious lasagna with ricotta and Italian sausage is a snap to make and it freezes well too if you wrap individual portions in plastic wrap and then aluminum foil. Simply unwrap and reheat any time you want to enjoy this ricotta lasagna again. If you want to use ground beef rather than the Italian sausage, go ahead. Tasty Lasagna with Ricotta and Italian Sausage Additions Some people like to add some sage to the sausage or use sweet sausage instead of the hot kind and add some red chili flakes. You know which you like best, so go ahead and choose your favorite kind when preparing this lasagna with ricotta and Italian sausage. If you .....
- Carrot and Chestnut Soup RecipeCarrot is an ingredient which is used in many different soup recipes and if you make this delicious carrot and chestnut soup recipe, you will discover that it is very tasty alongside chestnuts too. This is a rich and creamy soup as well as being vitamin-rich and very healthy as well. Why Carrot and Chestnut? Carrot and orange soup is a popular type but carrot and chestnut is not so well known. If you often make popular soups such as chicken noodle soup, potato soup, pumpkin soup or beef and tomato soups, why not try this carrot and chestnut soup recipe for a change?.....
- School Backpacks for GirlsSchool backpacks for girls come in a huge array of different styles, colors and designs, which will ensure that you can choose a style that your little girl will love. There are several different elements that you need to consider before purchasing the backpack. These include the durability, price, style and versatility of the backpack. The age of your child will often determine the size of backpack that you need to choose, as older children will need larger bags to carry books and materials. You will be amazed at the amount of equipment which your child will need for school. However, you should not expect your child to lift a backpack that .....
- Thai Vegetarian CrackslawIf you want to try something brand new, this Thai vegetarian crackslaw recipe offers an aromatic Asian flavor. Use Quorn, TVP (textured vegetable protein) or your favorite vegetarian meat alternative as well as julienne-cut veggies to make this dish commonly known as veggie crack or vegetable crackslaw. You will love the fragrant Thai flavors this dish offers, and probably want to make it again and again. This dish is low in carbs yet high in flavor. Thai Vegetarian Crackslaw If you want to use meat or poultry by all means go ahead. Just ensure it is fully cooked before adding the other ingredients to the pan. This recipe offers a wonderful .....