This omelet makes a great side dish for a curry if you don’t want to serve rice or naan bread or if you are looking for low carb side dish ideas. You can also eat it by itself as a meal or snack. This is the best Indian omelet recipe to choose if you are looking to spice things up a little and enjoy a brand new flavor.
What is in the Best Indian Omelet Recipe
Along with the eggs which are of course the main ingredient in any omelet, we are using spinach, shallots, cilantro, turmeric and chili.
You can omit the spinach if you want, or replace it with sliced mushrooms. You can also swap the shallots for a small yellow onion or omit the chili pepper if you don’t want it spicy.
Making the best Indian omelet recipe is simply a matter of combining the ingredients then cooking the omelet in a skillet. I like to wilt the spinach first but you don’t have to do that unless you want it really soft. It cooks in the omelet anyway. Continue reading
Sweet potato fries are always good and they pair well with many a snack – with sandwiches, burgers, ribs, or even just some ketchup to dip them in! However, many of us have the problem of homemade sweet potato fries being, well, not crispy enough. That’s why you need to know the secret of crispy sweet potato fries.
I’ve never had real success with my oven baked sweet potato fries but what I have discovered is a great recipe to get them super-crispy using a deep fryer and I am sharing my recipe with you below.
Why Use Sweet Potatoes for Fries
The reason I use sweet potato fries is my husband is diabetic and white potatoes tend to send his blood sugar soaring. Carisma potatoes (the diabetic-friendly potato) don’t fry that great (although they mash like a dream!)
Feel free to tweak the spices you are using. Also, if you don’t have soda water just use plain tap water. I have done that and it doesn’t make a lot of difference to your crispy sweet potato fries.
The batter gives the fries amazing crispness and the seasonings taste amazing in these as well. Serve these crispy sweet potato fries hot alongside your favorite meal and wait for all those compliments to come your way! Continue reading
Some More Hot Content For You
I admit I used to hate Brussels sprouts as a child, largely thanks to the way they were presented in an over-boiled, mushy heap (apologies to my mother if she’s reading this) but seriously, sprouts are not only healthy, they can be yummy too, as long as you cook them right! So, find out how to cook Brussels sprouts like a pro and make the best Brussels sprouts side dish of all.
In the old days, this vegetable used to be boiled to soggy death in water, then plonked on the plate alongside the meat or poultry of choice, and kids everywhere (myself included) would leave them on the plate until they were cold, hoping they would just… disappear or something! No wonder sprouts have a bad rep when people everywhere just boil them.
The Magic of Pan-Frying
Now the first time I enjoyed sprouts pan-fried or sauteed was a real eye-opener. This little green vegetable, which may be compared to a miniature green cabbage, can be sliced and cooked with wonderful ingredients like red wine or red wine vinegar, walnuts, parmesan and nutmeg, and these ingredients help to bring out a brand new side to them. This inspired me on how to make the best Brussels sprouts side dish. Continue reading
This is a great recipe for stuffed zucchini, or stuffed courgette if that’s what it’s known as in your neck of the woods. You can cut your zucchini in to ‘boats’ or lengthwise strips or into wide slices. Perhaps you can get mini zucchini, or 8-ball zucchini, in which case one of those makes one serving. For the filling we are using rice, vegetables and walnuts, along with some garlic, thyme and cheese for added flavor. Feel free to tweak any of the ingredients in this rice stuffed zucchini . Pecans would work in place of the walnuts, or you could sub parsley, basil or even mixed dried herbs for the thyme.
First we are going to take the pulp out of the zucchini and just leave ½-inch or so on the skin. Then the vegetables are sauted and combined with the aromatic ingredients. Add in the zucchini pulp and rice, and spoon this mixture into your prepared zucchini pieces. You can then bake them in the oven, covered with foil so they don’t burn or dry out. Take the foil off at the end for a while so the cheese on top can melt and turn golden brown. When the cheese is golden brown and bubbling, the rice stuffed zucchini is ready to serve.
Rice Stuffed Zucchini – How to Serve It
This rice stuffed zucchini makes a nice main dish for a vegetarian or you could serve one slice alongside meat for a carnivore. Either way, the flavor will be great, and this goes with any kind of side dish, or as a side dish for some kind of meat, poultry or seafood entrée. Once you have made this, you might like to swap some of the ingredients to make it the next time. Honestly, all kinds of filling ingredients work here – mushrooms, spinach, fresh herbs, any kind of nuts, raisins – just add whatever you like and make the rice stuffed zucchini recipe your own. If you want to serve this as a main dish, feel free to add some chopped cooked ham, chicken or shrimp into the mix. Add it when you add the rice to the pan.
There are thousands of potato recipes, and many ways to prepare roast potatoes, including this spicy roast potatoes recipe. One of the nicest things to do with them is spice them up before roasting, and then you will be able to enjoy the aromatic spices and the potatoes too with their crispy outsides and fluffy hot insides.
The following spicy roast potatoes recipe is very simple to make. You will need floury potatoes like King Edward, Yukon Gold, Charlotte, Maris Piper, or Duke of York.
Floury varieties are better for mashing, fry-making or roasting, while non-floury potatoes suit boiling better.
If you try to boil a floury potato it is likely to disintegrate, but the dry, fluffy texture of floury potatoes make them idea for roasting when you want the outside to crisp up to golden brown perfection and the inside to be perfectly fluffy.
Fish and potatoes have been served together for centuries and dill complements both of them. Sour cream, mayonnaise and gherkins finish off this delicious fish starter recipe perfectly. This herring, potato and dill salad recipe is easy to make and suits any occasion.
Simple But a Nice Balance
There are not many ingredients in this tasty herring recipe and that is because they would be unnecessary. This is a perfectly balanced dish and one of our more interesting starter recipes. Herrings are delicious and if you want ideas for fish starters, this is well worth considering. Continue reading
- Anchovy Wrapped OlivesThis anchovy wrapped olives recipe is very simple and shows you how to make anchovy wrapped olives. The recipe is perhaps one of the simplest you have seen, since you only need two different ingredients to make it, and this basic salty snack is beautiful whether you enjoy it with a cold beer, a glass of wine, a soft drink or even a warm beverage. Anchovies are salty, fishy and have an interesting texture, while olives are smooth, soft and the pimento filling is somewhat sweet. Anchovy Wrapped Olives: Making Your Own When paired, these two ingredients offer a beautiful savory flavor and a wonderful balance. These anchovy wrapped olives are .....
- Low Carb Paella Using Cauli RiceWhen I worked in Gran Canaria I used to eat paella a lot. In fact I made friends with a local chef who used to make a special batch for me minus the peas (my pet food hate!) This rice-based delicacy was served with half a baguette, plenty of alioli, or ai oli (or garlic mayo) and perhaps a sangria on the side. At that time I had never even heard of a low carb paella using cauli rice because I was enjoying the real thing too much to deviate. Try as I might, I could never tire of this wonderful Spanish dish. Fast forward a decade and I still love that flavor but my husband is diabetic and rice is a no-no. So I wondered at this point whether .....
- Strawberry Apple SmoothieThis wonderful strawberry apple smoothie recipe makes the most amazing smoothie. If you are in the mood for something cool, fruity and reminiscent of the summer then go ahead and make this. It only takes a few minutes and the flavor is amazing. The texture of our strawberry apple smoothie is not too thick or too thin but just right, so you can use a straw if you want. Frozen strawberries are always found in the bottom drawer of my freezer. Not only are they handy to thaw and add to yogurt or whiz up with cream sugar to make mousse, but they are cheaper than fresh strawberries. I save the fresh ones to enjoy with Greek yogurt as a dessert or .....
- Carb Blockers – Everything You Need to KnowDieting isn’t always easy. If it was, we would all be slim, right? The problem with a lot of diets is you have to deprive yourself of your favorite foods (you know, all those ones that taste good) and feel hungry in order to shed a pound or two, if you’re lucky. So what about carb blockers – everything you need to know about these might just convince you to give them a try but honestly, do they really work? Reducing the intake of carbs is a popular way of lowering weight, and you can try diets such as Atkins to show you how to keep your carbs very low. The problem with diets like this is they eliminate (at least in the .....
- Halloween Candy Corn Brûlée PotsThese are fantastic for Halloween, and suitable for the kids and grownups too. The desserts are served in little jars and you can tie some black ribbon around them to add that festive feel. Why not try this Halloween candy corn brûlée pots this Halloween? The recipe is made in stages. You will be making several layers, then assembling the Halloween candy crème brûlée pots at the end and using a kitchen torch to get the sugar topping nice and crispy. If you don’t have a kitchen torch just omit the last part. Halloween Candy Corn Brûlée pots Make Great Halloween Fare Halloween is a great time to experiment in the kitchen. You can rustle .....
- Authentic Pasta con le Sarde RecipePasta con le sarde is a typical Sicilian dish. The name translates to mean ‘pasta with sardines’ and the sardines along with fennel are the main 2 ingredients in there, those which give it the characteristic taste. Saffron, currants or raisins, pine nuts, and toasted almonds or capers also enrich the dish, offering a unique and special flavor in the finished meal. There are different pasta con le sarde recipes, some of which include tomato pulp and others which do not. Some are finished off in the oven for a few minutes so the pasta can finish cooking in there. When to Make a Pasta con le Sarde Recipe Make this pasta con le sarde .....
- Classic Deviled Eggs RecipeDeviled eggs are wonderful as a starter recipe. The eggs are boiled, then cut in half lengthwise. Mash the yolk with mayonnaise and seasonings to make a delicious filling, then garnish this classic deviled eggs recipe with fresh herb sprigs. The resulting dish will look great and taste great too. This is something you can make in about 15 minutes, so if you are looking for starter recipes for a dinner party or something for last minute guests, this could become your go-to recipe. Tips for Delicious Deviled Eggs Some people like to add plenty of spice when making a classic deviled eggs recipe, and that could be chili powder, Tabasco sauce or .....
- Authentic Spanish Omelet RecipeSpanish omelet, or tortilla espanola as it is also known, is a combination of potatoes and eggs, giving you not only a ton of flavor, but also a protein and energy boost. You can eat a Spanish omelet recipe hot, chilled or at room temperature. I Love This Spanish Omelet Recipe! When I lived in the Canaries and mainland Spain, a Spanish omelet recipe was one of my favorite tapas, and sometimes I would indulge in a Spanish omelet sandwich in crusty bread with aioli (garlic mayonnaise) and a touch of ketchup too. Oh – and a slice of cheese. Now that was a real treat! The main ingredients you need to make tortilla espanola are eggs and .....
- Szechuan Quorn Crackslaw with Peanut ButterThis lovely recipe blends Quorn (a vegetarian alternative to ground meat) with vegetables, peanut butter and other Asian seasonings to make the most delicious quorn crackslaw stir fry you can imagine. Make it as simple or as spicy as you wish. Whether quorn crackslaw is a new concept to you or you are just seeking other recipes for this dish, this one is worthy of your consideration. Also known as veggie crack, this vegetable crack slaw recipe is addictive because of the wonderful flavors, but feel free to indulge because it’s super low in carbs! Szechuan Crack Slaw Stir Fry It is your choice how to prepare the vegetables for this dish .....
- Hot and Creamy Crab DipThis hot and creamy crab dip recipe is lovely if you want something hot, creamy and with seafood in it. The crab is blended with cream cheese, Parmesan, hot sauce and more, for a hot and delicious dip. The dip is not too firm or too runny, so you can use it for chips, crudites or anything else. Chips should not snap off when you dip them in because, well, that’s just annoying! Hot and Creamy Crab Dip: Serve It Nice and Hot Because this is a hot dip, you will need to serve it immediately. Feel free to make it in advance though and pop it in the oven when your guests start to arrive. It will smell good while it heats up in the oven and .....