Summer is a great time for refreshing and fruit-based desserts and other tempting, light summer dessert ideas. If you want to linger a bit longer at the dinner table and savor something sweet while you do it there are plenty of choices. Most of the time you will want to serve something to either cool people down or showcase the wonderful summer fruits available during the warm months of the year.
A favorite summer dessert is ice cream. To make this common dish a little more special you can make it yourself. If you have an ice cream maker and a little bit of time you can create a special recipe for whatever you’re craving that day, thinking up your own summer dessert ideas with ice cream.
If you don’t have access to an ice cream maker an easy and healthy alternative is to make ice cream using frozen bananas. If you have a blender or food processor you can blend frozen bananas with any choice of mix-ins to create a delicious and surprisingly creamy dessert. A couple favorites are to mix in peanut butter, strawberries, or just a little vanilla extract and cinnamon before blending.
This tuna pasta salad with artichokes recipe is right up your street if you are looking for something new to do with pasta and tuna, and you would prefer something cold to hot.
This dish can be eaten by itself, paired with mixed salad leaves, taken to school or work as a box lunch, or made in bulk for a potluck supper, gathering or special event. It is simple to prepare and you can use canned tuna and artichokes for ease of preparation.
This lovely tuna pasta salad with artichokes recipe is usually served chilled but, for a change of pace, you might want to serve it warm, while the pasta is hot and the tuna mixture is cold. Combine all the ingredients well and the resulting dish will be warm. This might be nicer if the weather is chilly. Continue reading
Some More Hot Content For You
The first time I saw a photo of Vietnamese summer rolls I just thought ‘wow’! I love spring rolls (egg rolls) because of their wonderful crispy exterior, but summer rolls are slightly different, still oozing Asian character but featuring a very different coating and a more subtle, fragrant characteristic which you will love.
These are lovely in the summer (hence the name) but perfect served as an appetizer or light meal any time of the year.
What are Vietnamese Summer Rolls?
A summer roll is a Vietnamese dish made by enclosing a filling in a soft rice paper wrap. Typical ingredients used to make the filling include shrimp, pork, rice vermicelli, and vegetables. Continue reading
Potato salad is always good but add bacon and you have a really mouthwatering side dish. The following creamy potato salad with bacon is a recipe which is very simple to make; the potato salad will keep for a few days once prepared. Serve it chilled or room temperature. Some people even like it served warm, as soon as it is made.
Use boiling potatoes to make potato salad, not mashing potatoes which tend to disintegrate too easily. The choice of dressing is up to you.
While a lot of people just use their favorite mayonnaise, you might prefer another kind of creamy dressing for this creamy potato salad with bacon, else you can use half mayo half sour cream, half yogurt half ranch dressing, or anything else you fancy. A bit of Dijon mustard in the dressing really brings out the flavor of the potatoes and complements the dish.
Perfect Crunch and Flavor Balance
Finely diced celery or green onion is great for adding crunch to our creamy potato salad with bacon, while you can add flavor with herbs, spices or other ingredients. The bacon adds plenty of flavor. Remember it also adds saltiness so limit the amount of salad used in the recipe, and then you can always add it later if necessary. Continue reading
This wonderful strawberry apple smoothie recipe makes the most amazing smoothie. If you are in the mood for something cool, fruity and reminiscent of the summer then go ahead and make this. It only takes a few minutes and the flavor is amazing.
The texture of our strawberry apple smoothie is not too thick or too thin but just right, so you can use a straw if you want. Frozen strawberries are always found in the bottom drawer of my freezer. Not only are they handy to thaw and add to yogurt or whiz up with cream sugar to make mousse, but they are cheaper than fresh strawberries. I save the fresh ones to enjoy with Greek yogurt as a dessert or sometimes I add a few to the juicer.
Frozen strawberries are also perfect for adding to smoothies and shakes because a good blender will break them up perfectly and they will chill the drink as well as ice does! Continue reading
This lovely summer fruits ice tea combines tea, honey and fruit with mint leaves. The result is refreshing and delicious. If you wish to make an alcoholic version, add a splash of Cointreau, Limoncello, Chambord or fruit brandy to the drink. If you are doing this and there are kids around, don’t forget to mark the pitcher so you know it’s for the grownup only.
This tasty drink is tasty, refreshing and free from additives. A lot of commercial teas contain lots of added sugar, as well as artificial colors and flavorings, and those are all things we could happily do without.
Feel free to tinker with the following recipe. Try adding lychee tea and lychees instead of the hibiscus and rosehip teas. If you want to make it fizzy, add some lemonade or sparkling water to the mix. Pineapple, passion fruit or berries can also go into this tea. Continue reading
- Catalan Mussels RecipeFresh mussels have their own distinctive flavor and they don’t need much added to them to bring out their natural taste. Mussels and cockles are great for making appetizers, or starter recipes. Mussels steamed are great, as are mussels cooked in other ways. One of the best ways to work with this seafood is to try out this Catalan mussels recipe. Adding Flavor to the Mussels In this Catalan mussels recipe, vinegar, lemon, oil and basil are used to add flavour and the natural mussel recipe taste shines through. This dish is best chilled overnight so allow plenty of time to do that. This is also a bonus if you are planning a number of .....
- Siberian Ice Diamond JewelryWhat is Siberian Ice diamond jewelry exactly, and where can you get some? Siberian Ice is a top quality diamond alternative which has recently begun to take the world by storm. It is very hard like diamonds and can even scratch glass. This diamond alternative is also guaranteed for life. Basically, it is an alternative to real diamonds which is much closer to an actual diamond than other imitations (cubic zirconia, for example) and that is why so many women are going crazy for it. They Look the Same A Siberian Ice diamond has almost the same visual appearance as a true diamond and it is almost as durable too, making it very attractive to .....
- Authentic Egg Fried Rice without Soy SauceEgg fried rice without soy sauce is a dish lots of people want to make but since soy sauce is one of the key ingredients it can be puzzling working out how to get around that. Fried rice is one of the best-known Chinese dishes, but the authentic recipe is quite different to what you might be used to. For example, have you tried making egg fried rice without soy sauce? That is how it is made in China, well in many parts of the country, and the more authentic option in many cases. Egg Fried Rice without Soy Sauce: Such a Tempting Dish to Make Egg fried rice is the dish to make when you want to use leftovers to rustle up something quick and .....
- Chicken Curry Indian Style RecipeThis chicken curry Indian style recipe is just what you need if you want to cheer yourself up on a chilly evening. The chicken and vegetables combine beautifully with the curry spices and the overall effect is fantastic. Serve this with white fluffy rice, naan bread or whatever your heart desires. In a restaurant you may request your curry mild, medium or spicy, and hope the chef’s version of ‘mild’ for example, is the same as yours! We have all been there, asking for a mild dish, and it arrives and blows your head off. Well, in this chicken curry Indian style recipe, it is up to you to add the spices, so you can choose how .....
- The Best Casserole Dishes to BuyAlthough it can be nice to have casseroles in many shapes, sizes and colors, that is not always practical. That is, unless you have a huge budget and a lot of storage spare. Instead it makes more sense to figure out what type of casserole you need, the brand you prefer, and the size and shape you want. Also consider the material the dish is going to be made of. Then you can get the best casserole dishes for your household. You might want to start off with one casserole dish, or you might like to invest in a set. Perhaps your favorite casserole broke and you are shopping for a replacement, in which case you will find you have more choice .....
- Vietnamese Summer RollsThe first time I saw a photo of Vietnamese summer rolls I just thought ‘wow’! I love spring rolls (egg rolls) because of their wonderful crispy exterior, but summer rolls are slightly different, still oozing Asian character but featuring a very different coating and a more subtle, fragrant characteristic which you will love. These are lovely in the summer (hence the name) but perfect served as an appetizer or light meal any time of the year. What are Vietnamese Summer Rolls? A summer roll is a Vietnamese dish made by enclosing a filling in a soft rice paper wrap. Typical ingredients used to make the filling include shrimp, pork, .....
- Crab Rangoon Wontons Made with Gyoza WrappersI had a problem a couple days back. I was in the mood for crispy wontons and having recently bought a deep fat fryer and knowing I had some wonton skins in the freezer, I didn’t think anything could go wrong. However, the wonton wrappers were broken! I still fancied some crab rangoon wontons though. Can you use gyoza wrappers for wontons, I wondered. Would crab rangoon wontons made with gyoza wrappers actually work? Only one way to find out! Making Wontons with Gyoza Skins Gyoza wrappers are round not square and they are thicker than wonton wrappers. When I make gyoza I usually steam them or make potstickers so I was not sure how they .....
- iPod Scams and How to Avoid ThemMaybe you have seen iPods or mp3 players on eBbay retailing for a few cents and wonder how come they’re so cheap when in the stores they cost many times that price. The phrase ‘iPod scams’ might come to mind right away because, well, who in their right mind would sell a perfectly working iPod for a few cents? Despite this being obvious, people still get sucked into iPod scams. Not all scams are obvious either. The price might be significantly higher, like in the shop or slightly less, but maybe there is something wrong with the iPod or perhaps it’s not genuine or doesn’t have the amount of memory it should. You .....
- Cat Behavior ExplainedOur furry feline friends have some fascinating behavioral habits which might be confusing to their owners but they do have explanatory reasons. Why do cats purr for example? Does it mean they are happy and content? Here is a look at some of the more common feline behaviors so you can consider at least some cat behavior explained. Cat Behavior: Why Do Cats Purr? Cats use purring as a communication device. A cat will purr when something makes them feel happy, comfortable or safe. A kitten and its mother often purr together as a sign of comfort and being relaxed and the kitten will continue the purring behavior throughout its life. It has also .....
- Classic Cajun Food and 4 Cajun RecipesThere are not many exact recipes in Cajun cooking, because most of it is done to taste not to measurements, and the same dish can be prepared a different way each time, even by the same chef. This is because Cajun cuisine is an art form and the result of the dish depends on the mood of the chef as well as what happens to be in the refrigerator and cupboards. This means creating classic Cajun food is largely about getting a ‘feel’ for the ingredients and flavors. Although there are plenty of adaptations and tweaks you can make when making classic Cajun food, if you do want to follow a recipe it can be hard to find the right .....