Summer is a great time for refreshing and fruit-based desserts and other tempting, light summer dessert ideas. If you want to linger a bit longer at the dinner table and savor something sweet while you do it there are plenty of choices. Most of the time you will want to serve something to either cool people down or showcase the wonderful summer fruits available during the warm months of the year.
A favorite summer dessert is ice cream. To make this common dish a little more special you can make it yourself. If you have an ice cream maker and a little bit of time you can create a special recipe for whatever you’re craving that day, thinking up your own summer dessert ideas with ice cream.
If you don’t have access to an ice cream maker an easy and healthy alternative is to make ice cream using frozen bananas. If you have a blender or food processor you can blend frozen bananas with any choice of mix-ins to create a delicious and surprisingly creamy dessert. A couple favorites are to mix in peanut butter, strawberries, or just a little vanilla extract and cinnamon before blending.
This tuna pasta salad with artichokes recipe is right up your street if you are looking for something new to do with pasta and tuna, and you would prefer something cold to hot.
This dish can be eaten by itself, paired with mixed salad leaves, taken to school or work as a box lunch, or made in bulk for a potluck supper, gathering or special event. It is simple to prepare and you can use canned tuna and artichokes for ease of preparation.
This lovely tuna pasta salad with artichokes recipe is usually served chilled but, for a change of pace, you might want to serve it warm, while the pasta is hot and the tuna mixture is cold. Combine all the ingredients well and the resulting dish will be warm. This might be nicer if the weather is chilly. Continue reading
Some More Hot Content For You
The first time I saw a photo of Vietnamese summer rolls I just thought ‘wow’! I love spring rolls (egg rolls) because of their wonderful crispy exterior, but summer rolls are slightly different, still oozing Asian character but featuring a very different coating and a more subtle, fragrant characteristic which you will love.
These are lovely in the summer (hence the name) but perfect served as an appetizer or light meal any time of the year.
What are Vietnamese Summer Rolls?
A summer roll is a Vietnamese dish made by enclosing a filling in a soft rice paper wrap. Typical ingredients used to make the filling include shrimp, pork, rice vermicelli, and vegetables. Continue reading
Potato salad is always good but add bacon and you have a really mouthwatering side dish. The following creamy potato salad with bacon is a recipe which is very simple to make; the potato salad will keep for a few days once prepared. Serve it chilled or room temperature. Some people even like it served warm, as soon as it is made.
Use boiling potatoes to make potato salad, not mashing potatoes which tend to disintegrate too easily. The choice of dressing is up to you.
While a lot of people just use their favorite mayonnaise, you might prefer another kind of creamy dressing for this creamy potato salad with bacon, else you can use half mayo half sour cream, half yogurt half ranch dressing, or anything else you fancy. A bit of Dijon mustard in the dressing really brings out the flavor of the potatoes and complements the dish.
Perfect Crunch and Flavor Balance
Finely diced celery or green onion is great for adding crunch to our creamy potato salad with bacon, while you can add flavor with herbs, spices or other ingredients. The bacon adds plenty of flavor. Remember it also adds saltiness so limit the amount of salad used in the recipe, and then you can always add it later if necessary. Continue reading
This wonderful strawberry apple smoothie recipe makes the most amazing smoothie. If you are in the mood for something cool, fruity and reminiscent of the summer then go ahead and make this. It only takes a few minutes and the flavor is amazing.
The texture of our strawberry apple smoothie is not too thick or too thin but just right, so you can use a straw if you want. Frozen strawberries are always found in the bottom drawer of my freezer. Not only are they handy to thaw and add to yogurt or whiz up with cream sugar to make mousse, but they are cheaper than fresh strawberries. I save the fresh ones to enjoy with Greek yogurt as a dessert or sometimes I add a few to the juicer.
Frozen strawberries are also perfect for adding to smoothies and shakes because a good blender will break them up perfectly and they will chill the drink as well as ice does! Continue reading
This lovely summer fruits ice tea combines tea, honey and fruit with mint leaves. The result is refreshing and delicious. If you wish to make an alcoholic version, add a splash of Cointreau, Limoncello, Chambord or fruit brandy to the drink. If you are doing this and there are kids around, don’t forget to mark the pitcher so you know it’s for the grownup only.
This tasty drink is tasty, refreshing and free from additives. A lot of commercial teas contain lots of added sugar, as well as artificial colors and flavorings, and those are all things we could happily do without.
Feel free to tinker with the following recipe. Try adding lychee tea and lychees instead of the hibiscus and rosehip teas. If you want to make it fizzy, add some lemonade or sparkling water to the mix. Pineapple, passion fruit or berries can also go into this tea. Continue reading
- How to Enjoy ChampagneAlthough there are lots of types of sparkling white wine to choose from (cava, prosecco etc) it is fair to say nothing is the same as champagne. This sparkling white wine is made from chardonnay grapes in the Champagne region in France and is produced in a specific way. It is worth knowing how to enjoy champagne since its fullest so you can treasure every sip of this exquisite drink. The rules of champagne making demand secondary fermentation of the champagne wine in the bottle to create the carbonation. The main grapes used to make it are white chardonnay, pinot meunier and black pinot noir, although these vary. A ‘blanc de .....
- 10 Minute CrackslawSay you are in a hurry and you want to make some of your favorite recipe but you only have 10 minutes to spare – what can you do? The answer is to make 10 minute crackslaw. Rather than cooking the meat and vegetables separately, you will be saving time by cooking everything together. I always used to make the dish the regular way, which meant frying the meat, draining it, cooking the vegetables, then adding the meat back in and the seasonings, but since fat is not ‘the enemy’ when low carb eating you don’t even have to drain the meat after browning it, although if you’re using high-fat ground meat you might .....
- Types of Bath Tubs and Bath TapsBathrooms are an essential part of every home, and they can be as modern or traditional as you desire. Every element of the bathroom can suit your taste and needs, ensuring that this room in your home is perfect. There are different types of bath tubs to choose from you can get the result you really want. There are essential items which all bathrooms need, including a sink, toilet, and shower or bath. If you are fortunate enough to have a large bathroom you can have both. Many people cannot live without their bath tub, and some will spend hours relaxing and soaking away their stresses after deciding which of the types of bath tubs is best .....
- Quick and Easy Banana PancakesWhether you are looking for a tasty breakfast recipe, a quick snack or even a sweet treat when you get peckish in the evening, this easy banana pancakes recipe is ideal. You can combine the ingredients in a couple of minutes, then cook the pancakes in a skillet on the stove for a few minutes. Serve them just as they are, drizzled with some syrup or perhaps will chopped fruit or berries as a filling. You can also tweak our recipe, perhaps adding some cinnamon or nutmeg or even a little brown sugar. The sweetness of the banana means you don’t really need to add any sugar to the pancake batter, especially if you are going to serve it with .....
- Easy Roast Duck Leg with PotatoesThis easy roast duck leg with potatoes recipe makes a wonderful dinner. The duck combines perfectly with the roasted potatoes and you should also add your favorite green vegetable, or even some kind of salad on the side. A Greek salad would go well with this or consider some stewed red cabbage or similar. You will need a couple of duck legs for this easy roast duck leg with potatoes recipe, along with potatoes and thyme. The duck is fried skin side down in a roasting pan, then you can flip it over and add the potatoes. Add thyme, salt and black pepper, and then you can roast the duck and potatoes for about an hour and a half or up to two .....
- Fresh Mexican Soup RecipesIf you love both Mexican food and soup, prepare yourself to discover more about lovely south of the border soups. There are certainly a lot of Mexican soup recipes to sample and they are ideal for special occasions, perhaps Easter, Christmas or someone’s birthday, and the spicy ones are great when the weather is chilly because they are wonderfully warming. Not all Mexican soup recipes are spicy though. Some are mild and others are sweet. Some of them can be served as appetizers while others are better for the entrée or even as dessert. There really is something for everybody. Take cream of jalapeño soup, which is ideal when the weather is .....
- Pesto Spaghetti with Easy MeatballsThis is a great pesto spaghetti recipe to make if you are in the mood for Italian but also looking for something you can just throw together and have on the table half an hour after you thought of making it! Spaghetti and meatballs is a typical Italian dish which combines pasta and meat in a simple way, and although a tomato sauce is often served with such a dish, pesto spaghetti is also nice and it is what we are using here, although you can switch one for the other if you like. We are making baked meatballs and you can prepare the pesto spaghetti while the meatballs are baking, then have everything together at once. Make sure you have some .....
- Squid Cooking TipsCooking squid is not difficult and it is important to be aware of that. Too many cooks quit before they even begin, not knowing how straightforward this type of seafood is to prepare. Read the following squid cooking tips and find out how to prepare and cook this wonderful ‘fruit of the sea’. Step by Step Guide If you are faced with a whole squid the first thing you need to do is pull the tentacles away from the body. Reach up inside the body for the quill, which is going to feel like a shard of plastic. Pull this down, out of the squid, and throw it away. Rinse inside the ‘hood’ (squid body) with cold running water. .....
- Traditional British AppetizersTraditional British Appetizers from all Over the UK It’s true that the UK is home to so many delicious traditional British appetizers. Whether you fancy reproducing the tasty dishes from English, Ireland, Scotland or Wales, there are lots of different recipes you can play around with, to make the most mouthwatering dishes for your friends or family. From classic English prawn cocktail to Scottish seafood dishes, Irish onion rings with Guinness or Welsh rarebit, there are traditional british appetizers for all occasions. These starter recipes, as they are known in the UK, or appetizers as they are known in the US, offer something for .....
- Best Home Treatments for Yeast InfectionYou will be amazed what you have in your home that can help to treat your yeast infection effectively. There are huge arrays of different ingredients in kitchen cupboards, which can be combined to produce excellent home remedies. You will be able to come up with some of the best home treatments for yeast infection. These will not only cost you far less than over the counter treatments, but also be 100% natural. What Causes the Yeast Infection in Your Body? Candida is a fungus that is present in your body at all times and produces micro organisms, called Candida Albicans. These tiny microorganisms can cause a huge amount of trouble when .....