It is fair to say that potstickers are well-loved, and no wonder, when they boast such an incredible flavor in every bite. One is never enough. If you know something about potstickers history or you just like to eat them, you might already know through history potstickers have gone by a variety of names, including guotie, Peking Ravioli, pork dumplings, and wortip. Potstickers are both pan-fried and steamed.
Once the little dumplings are filled they are pan-fried on one side and then steamed in water or broth, so they end up crisp and browned on one side but easy to remove from the pan with a spatula. Try not to overcook them though, because then they will stick!
Curious Potstickers History
These little treats have been around since the Chinese Song dynasty, which dates back to 1280AD) although the exact origins are not known. According to legend however, they were invented when a chef in China’s Imperial Court accidentally burnt some dumplings. Oops! Continue reading
After making a number of steamed wonton recipes, there will come a time when you wish to create your own wonton fillings. Although you can use pretty much any kind of meat, poultry or fish in your wonton filling, it is important to grind or chop it as finely as you can. You need your ingredients to be very small for wonton fillings, so you can mix everything together better. Anything which is not cut into small enough pieces means you risk the wonton wrapper coming apart while they’re being cooked and then the filling will leak out which obviously you don’t want to happen.
Create Your Own Wonton Fillings: What to Use
Throw some finely chopped or minced vegetables into your wok and cook them over a high heat. It is important to get as much of the water content out as possible, so squeeze the greens. Add ginger and green onions for a nice Asian taste and add your meat. Stir-fry for a few minutes, then add salt, pepper, soy sauce, sesame oil, Shaoxing rice wine, some cilantro, and a little pinch of white sugar or artificial sweetener.
You might have to add a little water if the filling is too crumbly. Let the filling sit for half an hour, then use it to fill your wonton skins and cook them however you like. Continue reading
Some More Hot Content For You
So let’s assume you enjoy wonton soup and you have made a couple of different kinds already. What now? How do you play around with wonton soup recipes to come up with your own unique types? How do you come up with ideas for wonton soup if you want to tweak the recipe a little?
First of all, you will need to be creative but you also have a lot of leeway when it comes to choosing flavors and ingredients because you can use pretty much any kind of meat, poultry, fish, seafood or vegetables for making wonton soup. The broth itself should be clear but you can add garnishes or flavors to it.
Ideas for Wonton Soup: Wonton Broth Tips
Wontons would not work in a creamy soup, so keep the broth light and fresh-flavored for the best results. If you can make your own broth or bouillon that is always best. Store-bought broth can be alright but it is usually packed with chemicals and preservatives, so the next time you roast meat, why not boil up the carcass or bones with some carrot, onion, garlic and parsley? This is one of the best ideas for wonton soup and starting with tasty broth never hurts! Continue reading
Just because wontons are Chinese in origin does not mean you have to stick with the tried and tested Chinese wonton recipes. International wontons are an exercise in experimentation and sometimes this fusion really works! Of course, traditional wonton soup is delicious and Chinese-style fried wontons offer a flavor experience that most people enjoy very much, but you might like to experiment with a different take on the classic wonton recipe.
Since wonton skins are made with egg, flour and water, they do not have a lot of flavor. This means you can use any kind of filling and rest assured it will complement the wonton skin flavor. For example, if you want to try out something Italian, what about combining mozzarella or cream cheese with finely chopped sundried tomatoes and basil as your wonton filling. For a Greek feel, you could use feta cheese, diced black olives and perhaps some lemon juice and black pepper. A pinch of oregano would also work.
For an unusual Asian wonton, try duck and plum sauce or your favorite meat with your favorite Asian condiment. You could even make a Mexican wonton recipe by mixing grated Mexican blend cheese with minced chilies and ground beef if you want international wontons in a south of the border style. The sky is the limit and you can incorporate your favorite ingredients to make a wonton filling to die for. Continue reading
If you are looking for an easy wonton recipe to impress your family, you are sure to find some very tempting wonton recipes right here. Everyone loves wonderful wontons and they are so easy to prepare.
There are various ways to wrap wontons and ways to cook wontons so whether you fancy a crunchy filled wonton or a soft dumpling-like one, we have the best wonton recipes for you.
It is easy to be spoilt for choice because all of these easy wonton recipes are good ones. Perhaps you want to start off with some deep-fried wontons, since those are a favorite of many people, or what about an easy wonton soup, just to show you how easy making wontons can be? Continue reading
Crab and cream cheese are combined in this easy wonton recipe for a spectacular result. You will need softened cream cheese for these cream cheese wontons with crab so either leave the cream cheese at room temperature for a while or microwave it for 20 seconds.
Feel free to be creative with the wonton wrapper shape when making your cream cheese wontons with crab. You can make scrunched up wontons, triangles or any other shape you fancy. Just make sure they are well sealed so they hold together when they are being fried.
What Kind of Crabmeat to Use
Dungeness crabmeat is the best kind to use, but use whatever type of lump crabmeat you can get. Just make sure you drain it as well as you can, before mixing it with the other ingredients, since it will be packed in water or brine, and that will make your wontons soggy.
The ginger and green onions bring out the flavor of the crab and cream cheese, and plum sauce would be very nice for dipping these wontons into, else you can serve soy sauce, chili sauce or oyster sauce instead for dipping. These cream cheese wontons with crab are very simple to prepare and they only take a few minutes to fry to crispy perfection. Continue reading
- A Great Dipping Sauce for WontonsMany people are eager to start making the best and most easy wonton recipes but wait – what are you going to serve with the wontons? If you are serving them in soup then that is one thing but if not, you might like to serve a wonton dipping sauce on the side, to dip your steamed, baked or fried wontons into. You are going to need a tasty dipping sauce for wontons. A wonton dipping sauce can be something out of a bottle such as soy sauce, oyster sauce or chili sauce, or it can be something you make yourself. Consider the wonton filling when thinking about what type of wonton dipping sauce to prepare. Examples of a Good Dipping Sauce for .....
- How to Make ConsommeA consomme soup is refined and clear. Learn how to make consomme and you will be able to prepare this classic French dish anytime. If you want to make consomme for four people, you will need 2 pints of good quality clear stock, 2 peppercorns, a clove, 2 peeled, seeded, sliced tomatoes, and a chopped celery stalk, carrot and onion. So what’s next if you want to know how to make consomme? Roast some beef shin or even bones with cartilage, or some chicken, then put the meat and bones in the stock with the other ingredients and cook gently for an hour, not stirring the mixture. Sieve the stock and put it in the refrigerator until the clear .....
- How to Make Vegetable QuicheFew things are as delicious as a good vegetarian quiche, and learning how to make vegetable quiche is something that any home cook can do with ease. You can include as few or as many veggies as you like, and choose from various types of crusts and fillings, to make your vegetarian quiche recipe perfect for your palate. Once you discover how to make quiche you will want to experiment with diverse crusts and fillings. Not only will you love the resulting quiche but your family are sure to love it too. Quiche is a healthy option, boasting the protein from eggs, the nutrients in the veggies, and it is also really filling and will keep you .....
- Buffalo CrackslawThis is a video for you to watch and wow, this buffalo crackslaw recipe looks so good! The chef uses the main crackslaw recipe, but watching him cook is a sheer delight. If you want to make something different, consider this recipe and you will find it easy to stick to your low carb diet and not feel deprived whatsoever. Mmm, you can almost smell this through your monitor. If you are new to making this dish then watching someone else cook it first is always handy. There is nothing difficult about making buffalo slaw but you might be curious about preparing the ingredients, cooking the mixture in the pan, or even what the dish should be .....
- Walden Farms Calorie-Free Food ReviewFlavorful Items to Complement Your Diet This calorie free food is for anyone looking for items which do not contain calories, carbohydrates, fat or sugar. Doesn’t that sound exciting! Their range includes fruit spreads, regular and flavored mayo, pouring syrups, salad dressings, pasta sauces, whipped peanut spreads, dips for chips or fruit, condiments, and more. Carb-Free Too These products contain no carbs either, so you can enjoy as much as you want. But what do these calorie free food products actually taste like? I have bought a selection of them recently, to try them out for myself, and I have to say some are better than others......
- Quick Mackerel Pate RecipeIf you are in a hurry it’s good to know that you can make this quick mackerel pate recipe in a matter of minutes. Smoked mackerel fillets are used for this pate as well as soft cheese, onions, lemon and tabasco. Serve this pate with melba toast or crackers and perhaps some grapes or basil leaves for garnish. Homemade is Always Best Buying pate from the shop is easy but homemade pate is always in a league of its own. In fact there is no comparison between the two. If you want to make a nice starter recipe for a dinner party then consider mackerel paté and you will be very tempted. Soft cheese, spring onions and lemon work harmoniously .....
- Dutch Kale Stamppot with SausageDutch kale stamppot is a dish I make often, first because my husband is Dutch and grew up with it, and second because it’s hot, comforting and delicious! Perhaps you have tried other Dutch recipes such as our slavink recipe, or maybe you are new to this cuisine. Either way, you will find Dutch kale stamppot with sausage very simple to prepare. You will need mashing potatoes (I use low GI Carisma potatoes because my husband is diabetic) along with kale. Those are the main two ingredients in kale stamppot, known in Holland as boerenkool stamppot. In addition, I recommend some smoked sausage, known locally as rookworst. This has a similar .....
- Dim SumDim sum, which translates to mean ‘to dot your heart’ refers to small dishes eaten as snacks. These can be baked, deep-fried, steamed or braised, and they are presented well and delicious too. Examples of dim sum include har gao, steamed shrimp dumplings in a rice flour pastry, char siu bao, which are roast pork-filled steamed buns, lor bak ko, which is turnip cake, and woo kok, which is shrimp with Chinese mushrooms. A lot of dim sum restaurants also offer congee porridge, soups, steamed green vegetables and roasted meats. The serving size is small and you usually get three or four pieces in one dish. Dim sum is eaten with a cup .....
- Spicy Roast PotatoesThere are thousands of potato recipes, and many ways to prepare roast potatoes, including this spicy roast potatoes recipe. One of the nicest things to do with them is spice them up before roasting, and then you will be able to enjoy the aromatic spices and the potatoes too with their crispy outsides and fluffy hot insides. The following spicy roast potatoes recipe is very simple to make. You will need floury potatoes like King Edward, Yukon Gold, Charlotte, Maris Piper, or Duke of York. Floury varieties are better for mashing, fry-making or roasting, while non-floury potatoes suit boiling better. If you try to boil a floury potato it is .....
- Greek Stuffed Squid with Parsley and White WineKnown all over the world, this wonderful Greek take on stuffed squid is a surefire way to anyone’s heart. Greek stuffed squid with parsley will win its way to anyone’s heart. Want to impress someone? Easy! Just make this! Who else cooks seafood with as much passion or commitment as the Greeks? Greek stuffed squid with parsley is sure to be a hit. Well, perhaps other Mediterranean countries too, but this recipe is one of the nicest, and all the passion of the Greeks goes into selecting and preparing the ingredients, and the result is something you can call ‘gourmet’ and is definitely both well-balanced and highly .....