It is fair to say that potstickers are well-loved, and no wonder, when they boast such an incredible flavor in every bite. One is never enough. If you know something about potstickers history or you just like to eat them, you might already know through history potstickers have gone by a variety of names, including guotie, Peking Ravioli, pork dumplings, and wortip. Potstickers are both pan-fried and steamed.
Once the little dumplings are filled they are pan-fried on one side and then steamed in water or broth, so they end up crisp and browned on one side but easy to remove from the pan with a spatula. Try not to overcook them though, because then they will stick!
Curious Potstickers History
These little treats have been around since the Chinese Song dynasty, which dates back to 1280AD) although the exact origins are not known. According to legend however, they were invented when a chef in China’s Imperial Court accidentally burnt some dumplings. Oops! Continue reading
After making a number of steamed wonton recipes, there will come a time when you wish to create your own wonton fillings. Although you can use pretty much any kind of meat, poultry or fish in your wonton filling, it is important to grind or chop it as finely as you can. You need your ingredients to be very small for wonton fillings, so you can mix everything together better. Anything which is not cut into small enough pieces means you risk the wonton wrapper coming apart while they’re being cooked and then the filling will leak out which obviously you don’t want to happen.
Create Your Own Wonton Fillings: What to Use
Throw some finely chopped or minced vegetables into your wok and cook them over a high heat. It is important to get as much of the water content out as possible, so squeeze the greens. Add ginger and green onions for a nice Asian taste and add your meat. Stir-fry for a few minutes, then add salt, pepper, soy sauce, sesame oil, Shaoxing rice wine, some cilantro, and a little pinch of white sugar or artificial sweetener.
You might have to add a little water if the filling is too crumbly. Let the filling sit for half an hour, then use it to fill your wonton skins and cook them however you like. Continue reading
Some More Hot Content For You
So let’s assume you enjoy wonton soup and you have made a couple of different kinds already. What now? How do you play around with wonton soup recipes to come up with your own unique types? How do you come up with ideas for wonton soup if you want to tweak the recipe a little?
First of all, you will need to be creative but you also have a lot of leeway when it comes to choosing flavors and ingredients because you can use pretty much any kind of meat, poultry, fish, seafood or vegetables for making wonton soup. The broth itself should be clear but you can add garnishes or flavors to it.
Ideas for Wonton Soup: Wonton Broth Tips
Wontons would not work in a creamy soup, so keep the broth light and fresh-flavored for the best results. If you can make your own broth or bouillon that is always best. Store-bought broth can be alright but it is usually packed with chemicals and preservatives, so the next time you roast meat, why not boil up the carcass or bones with some carrot, onion, garlic and parsley? This is one of the best ideas for wonton soup and starting with tasty broth never hurts! Continue reading
Just because wontons are Chinese in origin does not mean you have to stick with the tried and tested Chinese wonton recipes. International wontons are an exercise in experimentation and sometimes this fusion really works! Of course, traditional wonton soup is delicious and Chinese-style fried wontons offer a flavor experience that most people enjoy very much, but you might like to experiment with a different take on the classic wonton recipe.
Since wonton skins are made with egg, flour and water, they do not have a lot of flavor. This means you can use any kind of filling and rest assured it will complement the wonton skin flavor. For example, if you want to try out something Italian, what about combining mozzarella or cream cheese with finely chopped sundried tomatoes and basil as your wonton filling. For a Greek feel, you could use feta cheese, diced black olives and perhaps some lemon juice and black pepper. A pinch of oregano would also work.
For an unusual Asian wonton, try duck and plum sauce or your favorite meat with your favorite Asian condiment. You could even make a Mexican wonton recipe by mixing grated Mexican blend cheese with minced chilies and ground beef if you want international wontons in a south of the border style. The sky is the limit and you can incorporate your favorite ingredients to make a wonton filling to die for. Continue reading
If you are looking for an easy wonton recipe to impress your family, you are sure to find some very tempting wonton recipes right here. Everyone loves wonderful wontons and they are so easy to prepare.
There are various ways to wrap wontons and ways to cook wontons so whether you fancy a crunchy filled wonton or a soft dumpling-like one, we have the best wonton recipes for you.
It is easy to be spoilt for choice because all of these easy wonton recipes are good ones. Perhaps you want to start off with some deep-fried wontons, since those are a favorite of many people, or what about an easy wonton soup, just to show you how easy making wontons can be? Continue reading
Crab and cream cheese are combined in this easy wonton recipe for a spectacular result. You will need softened cream cheese for these cream cheese wontons with crab so either leave the cream cheese at room temperature for a while or microwave it for 20 seconds.
Feel free to be creative with the wonton wrapper shape when making your cream cheese wontons with crab. You can make scrunched up wontons, triangles or any other shape you fancy. Just make sure they are well sealed so they hold together when they are being fried.
What Kind of Crabmeat to Use
Dungeness crabmeat is the best kind to use, but use whatever type of lump crabmeat you can get. Just make sure you drain it as well as you can, before mixing it with the other ingredients, since it will be packed in water or brine, and that will make your wontons soggy.
The ginger and green onions bring out the flavor of the crab and cream cheese, and plum sauce would be very nice for dipping these wontons into, else you can serve soy sauce, chili sauce or oyster sauce instead for dipping. These cream cheese wontons with crab are very simple to prepare and they only take a few minutes to fry to crispy perfection. Continue reading
- British Bangers and Mash RecipeWhat is bangers and mash, you might be wondering, and how do you make a British bangers and mash recipe? Well, one of the most popular examples of British comfort food, bangers and mash is a dish of bangers (sausages) with mash (mashed potatoes). It is usually served with thick brown onion gravy drizzled over the top. I like to use plenty of onions in this British bangers and mash recipe or even forgo the sauteed onions and make a delicious onion gravy. You can use any gravy you want, either making it the lazy way with gravy granules or, if you prefer, making your own from scratch. What Kind of Sausages for a British Bangers and Mash Recipe? .....
- Old Bay Shrimp and Apple SaladThis Old Bay shrimp and apple salad is a gorgeous recipe. It looks really nice served in little glasses with edible flowers as a garnish, but it can also be served over lettuce or baby salad leaves if you prefer. This Old Bay shrimp and apple salad is a nice way to begin any kind of meal, and it is especially good during the summer when you don’t want to cook. We are using shrimp, and you can use little ones or chop larger ones. Make sure they are peeled and deveined first. Canned or thawed shrimp are fine here. You will also need some red apple and onion for crunch. The dressing for our Old Bay shrimp and apple salad is made with .....
- Brilliant Bruschetta RecipeA bruschetta recipe is one of the best Italian appetizers. It is made by rubbing garlic over grilled bread, then adding olive oil, tomatoes, salt and pepper. Some types of bruschetta recipe might also include cured meat, cheese, tomatoes, beans, or vegetables. The best-known bruschetta recipe outside Italy features fresh tomato, garlic and onion, fresh basil, and mozzarella. So Many Bruschetta Recipe Options A great bruschetta recipe is found on Italian restaurant menus all over the world, and there are hundreds of different ways to make it, which is why restaurant bruschetta ranges from bland to wonderful, depending who is making it. Make .....
- Starter Recipes for All SeasonsThere is no rule that you have to serve cold starters in the spring or summer and nor is there a rule to say you have to serve thick, warming ones in the winter months. However, it can be nice to match them to the seasons as well as to your guests and the main course. You will find there are starter recipes for all seasons if you want to use seasonal produce to make the most delicious appetizers. For example, if the weather is warm your guests might fancy something light and refreshing and that goes for the drinks as well as the food. If the weather is cold, a hearty soup recipe or something hot, crispy and spicy might be well appreciated. .....
- What are WontonsSo, What are Wontons Exactly? A wonton, which can also be spelt wanton, wuntun, won ton or wantan, is a type of Chinese dumpling. Wontons are made by wrapping your chosen filling in a wonton wrapper and then molding the wonton into the shape you like. You can dip your fingertip into water to moisten the edges of the wonton wrapper before sealing it – this helps it to stick better and stay closed, because the water dissolves the extra flour. Make sure you squeeze all the air out of the wonton, else it might rupture because of the internal pressure from the trapped air. What are wontons? Well they’re one of the most delicious little .....
- Indian Pasta Salad with ChickenPasta is not the first ingredient that should come to mind when you think about Indian cuisine because of course it is an Italian ingredient. However that is the beauty of fusion cooking. This Indian pasta salad offers some exciting flavors, all of which go together nicely. When combined they offer an exotic flair in what would otherwise just be a basic pasta salad. You can find all kinds of ingredients in this Indian pasta salad which come together wonderfully. The neutral flavor of pasta along with its firm al dente texture means a spicy, aromatic dressing is sure to suit it instead of clashing. In the following recipe we are teaming our .....
- Potato Pierogi RecipeThis potato pierogi recipe is one of my favorites, but what are pierogi exactly? Well, pierogi are unleavened dough dumplings which are boiled and then fried or baked in butter. They can be stuffed with potatoes, ground meat, fruit, cheese, sauerkraut, or something else. Pierogi are normally half moon shape but they can also be triangular or rectangular. Not to be confused with pirog (Russian pies) or pirozhki (Russian stuffed fried buns), pierogi are small enough to be served several at a time, which is why the plural of the word is used when talking about them. These little snacks are popular in Russia, Ukraine, the Czech Republic, .....
- Eating Authentic Mexican Food in MexicoI think it’s fair to say Mexican food has to be one of the most misunderstood cuisines of all. People who aren’t familiar with it assume it’s all tortillas, beef and chilies, while those who eat at fast food outlets might believe those dishes are more authentic than they are. Eating authentic Mexican food in Mexico isn’t difficult but there are lots of tourist places you ought to avoid if you want to be eating the real deal. And then you have Tex-Mex, Cali-Mex and all the other hybrids and regional variations, so it’s hardly surprising knowing what is authentic Mexican food and what is not can be confusing! .....
- Camembert Baked in its Box RecipeI love Camembert baked in its box! It’s one snack I never get tired of. Cheese makes a great starter as well as an after-dinner dessert course. This Camembert appetizer recipe is similar to a cheese fondue and you can dip anything in it, including the bread, pickled vegetables and peppers mentioned here. Raw mushrooms are good for dipping, as are raw carrots and other crudites. Camembert Baked in its Box: Simple to Make You can buy Camembert in a box and simply put it in the oven, which is ideal for anyone who wants a simple fuss-free starter recipe which is going to work with both the vegetarians and carnivores around the table, .....
- Watermelon Mint Detox WaterDetox water recipes are all the rage these days, and little wonder when the concept is basically about making plain water delicious so you want to drink plenty of it. Water is absolutely essential but a lot of people struggle to drink enough of it. Once you feel thirsty you are already dehydrated and in need of this watermelon mint detox water or something similar. The obvious answer to this problem is flavoring regular water (tap water, bottled water, filtered water, whatever you like) with fruit, perhaps adding some kind of fresh herbs or spice to boost the flavor further. This recipe is one of my favorites. We are incorporating watermelon .....