Home Made Orange Chicken
You can’t go wrong with this super-easy homemade orange chicken recipe. It’s every bit as good as (or, dare I say, even better than!) Panda Express orange chicken or other copycat chicken in orange sauce dishes.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: Chinese
- 4 chicken breasts (boneless and skinless) in bite-sized chunks
- 3 beaten eggs
- 1/3 cup (40g) all-purpose flour (plain flour)
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Oil, for frying
- 1 cup (250ml) orange juice
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 cup (100g) white sugar
- 2 minced garlic cloves or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger or 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch (UK: cornflour)
- Zest of an orange
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes (optional)
- Orange zest and/or green onions (spring onions), for garnish
- Put the orange juice, vinegar, sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, garlic, ginger, and red chili flakes (if using) in a pot, and gently cook for 3 minutes.
- Whisk 2 tablespoons of water with 1 tablespoon of cornstarch until you get a paste.
- Add this paste to the orange sauce mixture in the pot and cook for another 5 minutes.
- When it’s thickened you can take the pot off the heat and stir in the orange zest.
- Meanwhile, sift the flour and cornstarch into a shallow dish and mix in some salt and pepper to taste.
- Dip the chicken in beaten egg and then dredge through the flour mixture.
- Heat 2 or 3 inches (5 or 7.5cm) of oil in a heavy pot until it reaches 350 degrees F or 175 degrees C.
- Fry the chicken in the oil in batches for a few minutes until golden brown all over, then drain on paper towels.
- Toss the fried chicken with the orange sauce and serve garnished with orange zest and/or green onions if liked.
- Use white vinegar if you don’t have any rice vinegar and/or tamari if you don’t have soy sauce
- Use brown sugar or honey instead of white sugar if you choose
- Boneless chicken thighs will also work if you prefer the meatier flavor
- Add a pinch of MSG for that takeout taste or omit it if you prefer
- Make sure you use plenty of salt else this recipe might come out a bit bland
Keywords: home made orange chicken, homemade orange chicken, chinese orange chicken, asian orange chicken, orange sauce for chicken