Sauerkraut and Pork Recipe with Beer
It doesn’t have to be New Year’s Day or Oktoberfest season to enjoy a delicious sauerkraut and pork recipe! This one is super easy to make and after tasting it, you’ll want to make sauerkraut and pork again – and soon!
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes
- Cook Time: 2 Hours 30 Minutes
- Total Time: 2 hours 45 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: German
- 4 fresh pork hocks
- 6 fl oz (180ml) light beer
- 2 quartered yellow onions
- 12 slightly crushed peppercorns
- 1½ tablespoons sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 28 oz (800g) canned sauerkraut
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- Put the hocks in a large pot with the onion, peppercorns, sugar, and bayleaf.
- Add the beer.
- Add enough hot water to cover and bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Cover and simmer gently for 2 hours.
- Drain off most of the liquid.
- Drain the sauerkraut and add it to the pot.
- Sprinkle over the caraway seeds.
- Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Discard the bay leaves and adjust the seasoning if need be.
- You can crisp the top of the pork under the broiler at this point if you like.
- Serve hot.
Keywords: sauerkraut, pork, Bavarian, German