Stuffed Calamari Recipe
This delicious basic stuffed calamari recipe, or stuffed squid recipe, is so easy to put together and the results are fantastic. You will be so impressed with the authentic Mediterranean flavor.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 8 1x
- Category: Seafood
- Cuisine: Italian
- 8 cleaned squid tubes (about the size of your hand including fingers)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Tentacles from the squid or small handful raw shrimp (optional)
- 1 cup (60g) fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated romano or parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) water
- 1 minced garlic clove
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Marinara sauce or your favorite tomato sauce, to poach the stuffed squid in
- 2 chopped canned anchovies (optional)
- Combine all the ingredients except the squid and tentacles/shrimp and marinara sauce in a mixing bowl.
- Chop some of the tentacles (if using) and add them to the mixture, putting the rest of them aside.
- Scoop a couple of spoonfuls of the stuffing into the cavity of a squid, then seal it using 2 toothpicks.
- Repeat this process with the remaining squid.
- Saute the stuffed squid in hot olive oil for 5 minutes per side.
- As each squid is done drop it into a simmering pot of marinara sauce (or passata, sieved tomatoes or canned chopped tomatoes with basil).
- Add the rest of the tentacles (if using) to the sauce and any unfilled bits of squid you have left over.
- Cook for 30 minutes or until the squid is tender.
- If you have shrimp or anchovies, add them to the sauce 5 minutes before the end.
- Remove the toothpicks and slice the squid to serve.
- I served mine with sautéed potatoes and salad leaves.
- Sometimes I swap the squid tentacles for chopped shrimp.
- You can use passata, which is simply sieved tomatoes, for the sauce instead of using a bottled tomato sauce.
Keywords: stuffed calamari recipe, stuffed squid recipe, how to stuff calamari, how do you stuff squid, squid stuffing recipe