Stuffed Flank Steak in the Oven
Flank steak is a popular cut because it’s economical as well as rich and tasty. In this recipe, the meat is stuffed with a flavorful stuffing and then roasted to perfection in the oven.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Oven
- 1 1/2 pounds (625g) flank steak
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons basil pesto
- 1 garlic clove
- Zest of a lemon
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 cup (large handful) baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons sundried tomatoes
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Put the spinach, sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, lemon, and pine nuts in a food processor and process until minced.
- Drizzle in 1 or 2 tablespoons of the oil until you end up with a pesto consistency.
- Cover the meat with plastic wrap and pound with a meat tenderizer to make it 1/4-inch (3/4-cm) thick.
- Grind some salt and pepper over the meat.
- Use a spatula to spread the pesto mixture over the meat, leaving a 1/2-inch (1 1/4-cm) border.
- Following the grain, roll the meat up and use kitchen twine to wrap it in 3 places tightly.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a skillet on the stove.
- Brown the rolled up flank steak for a couple of minutes per side.
- Put the skillet in the oven and roast for 25 minutes for a medium result.
- Let the stuffed flank steak rest for 5 minutes, and then slice and serve.
- If you don’t have a food processor, you can mince the stuffing ingredients by hand instead.
- Roast the stuffed flank steak in the oven for 20 minutes for rare, 25 minutes for medium or 30 minutes for well done – check it as it cooks, since ovens do vary.
- Serve stuffed flank steak in the oven with potatoes, fries or rice, plus asparagus, green beans, peas, or potato salad and a fruit cup on the side.
Keywords: stuffed, flank steak, stuffed steak, stuffed beef, flank steak stuffing