Colourful Tuscan Bread Salad
This Tuscan bread salad is a wonderful summer starter recipe because there is no cooking involved. It is best to make this colourful Tuscan bread starter using Italian bread but you can use another type if you have some to use up. Sourdough bread, pita bread and wholemeal bread all work well.
Tuscan Bread Salad: Preparing the Bread
Tear the bread up to make big chunks or shred it like breadcrumbs, whichever you prefer. You can get creative with this easy salad recipe and add your own touches to it.
This is a bread salad not a crouton salad so you don’t need to fry or toast the bread. This vegetarian starter recipe is called “panzanella” in Italian and it is a great way to use up stale bread, as well as a healthy starter recipe if you like to use plenty of fresh produce.
It is important to use the freshest basil and tomatoes you can find because this will really boost the flavor of this exciting vegetarian starter recipe. Italians love to use fragrant, fresh produce, so take a page out of their book and do the same, for a surprising and aromatic salad.
What Else to Add to the Tuscan Bread Salad
You can add other ingredients to this Italian bread salad if you like, such as marinated artichokes, shredded spinach, chopped avocado, capers, chunks of mozzarella or minced garlic.
The authentic recipe for panzanella just uses bread, tomatoes, cucumber, basil, onion, oil and vinegar but you can make this vegetarian starter your own by adding your favorite ingredients to it.
Tuscan bread salad might not sound like an appetizing dish but one glimpse of this colorful salad and everybody will want some. You can serve it at room temperature if you like but it is very nice chilled, especially if you are serving it in the summer on a warm day.
- 5 slices stale Tuscan bread, ciabatta or similar
- 4 Roma tomatoes (plum tomatoes), chopped
- 1 cucumber, chopped
- 10 basil leaves, shredded
- ¼ red onion, chopped
- ¼ red bell pepper, chopped
- 10 black olives, sliced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Moisten the bread under the tap.
- It needs to be moist but not too wet.
- If it gets too wet, squeeze the excess water out.
- Shred the bread into a big salad bowl.
- Add the cucumber, tomato, bell pepper, onion, olives and basil.
- Add the vinegar and olive oil and stir well.
- Add more if necessary.
- Season to taste with the salt and black pepper.
- Chill the salad in the fridge for half an hour and serve.
This nutritious Tuscan bread salad recipe is full of vibrant color and it looks really appetizing. Panzanella recipes are traditionally left alone for at least half an hour before serving, to ensure the flavors mingle and the bread softens. If you want recipes for make ahead starters, this one can be made ahead. If you are making salad recipes for a buffet table, this one makes a lovely, colorful centerpiece. You can also serve it at the dinner table as a side dish or as a starter recipe.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Creamy Pumpkin BakeThis creamy pumpkin bake is a low carb recipe you will love. Serve it as a snack, dessert or appetizer. There are very few ingredients required so this would be perfect for any home cook, novice, advanced, or anything between these two. Our creamy pumpkin bake is something you might already have all the ingredients for, so why not get stuck in and make this? It is quick and easy to prepare and you will be so glad you made it. I love pumpkin and it’s available for most of the year here in its fresh form. It also keeps a long time. I buy canned pumpkin and that lasts for ages in the pantry, but make sure you choose the sugar-free kind. .....
- Beef and Cheese Stuffed Bell PeppersYou will find these beef and cheese stuffed bell peppers to be really filling. If you are not sure that one stuffed bell pepper is going to be sufficient for your meal, don’t worry, because it will be! I love making beef and cheese stuffed bell peppers. Sometimes I use a rice based stuffing but the beef and cheese option is also very nice. It is filling and if you are keeping an eye on your carbs then that is another reason to make these. Stuffed peppers look attractive and while some people throw the top away I like to cook it in the baking pan with the stuffed peppers and then put it back on at the end. I just like the presentation .....
- Elegant Squid with Pistachio and LemonThis recipe is a little unusual, at least more unusual than most stuffed squid recipes. Not only does it look delicious but the tangy chili sauce is the perfect partner for the tender seafood, another great reason to prepare this fantastic dish. Squid with pistachio might be hard to imagine but believe me, it’s the stuff of dreams! The squid is stuffed with a pistachio and lemon infused brown rice which is really filling, and the sauce can be served on the side, like you see in the picture, or you can drizzle it over the plates and arrange the squid slices on top, as you wish. If you want to change this recipe a bit you can use fresh .....
- Greek Lamb Pasta Bake with FetaThis Greek lamb pasta bake with feta is a delicious dish, pairing pasta with ground lamb, feta cheese and other Greek flavors. It is similar to pastitsio, Greece’s answer to lasagna, and you will find it really delicious and warming. Serve this Greek lamb pasta bake with feta with a simple salad on the side and a balsamic and extra-virgin olive oil dressing, or else just enjoy it by itself. If you’re into carbs, a slice of lightly toasted baguette bread would go well with this Greek lamb pasta bake with feta too. There are so many pasta bake recipes to choose from, and the great thing about such a dish is you can use pretty much .....
- Fresh Mexican Soup RecipesIf you love both Mexican food and soup, prepare yourself to discover more about lovely south of the border soups. There are certainly a lot of Mexican soup recipes to sample and they are ideal for special occasions, perhaps Easter, Christmas or someone’s birthday, and the spicy ones are great when the weather is chilly because they are wonderfully warming. Not all Mexican soup recipes are spicy though. Some are mild and others are sweet. Some of them can be served as appetizers while others are better for the entrée or even as dessert. There really is something for everybody. Take cream of jalapeño soup, which is ideal when the weather is .....
- 12 Crockpot Recipes for Weight LossThe following crockpot recipes for weight loss are perfect for making in a slow cooker. One of the benefits to using a crockpot is you can tip the ingredients in there in the morning, then go to work or out for the day. When you get home your meal will be ready! This mean you don’t have to stand over the stove, nibbling on snacks you shouldn’t be having, but you can eat your healthy meal right away. A crockpot, also known as a slow cooker, is an electrical appliance used to gently simmer food. The temperature is kept low so your food slowly cooks over a period of hours. A basic model should have a low and a high setting while others might .....
- Watermelon Radish Recipes Cooked and RawWhat is a watermelon radish, you might be wondering. It could be you have spotted watermelon radishes at your local market and you are curious what to do with such a vegetable. What kind of watermelon radish recipes are there? Maybe you are looking for a good watermelon recipe. Well I purchased some of these at my local market, and I have been experimenting! First of all, what is a watermelon radish anyway? Well, this vegetable is an edible globular root with green leaves and thin stems. The outside is whitish and the flesh is bright pink. It is tender-crisp and firm in texture. It tastes mild and a little peppery. You might taste some .....
- Oven Baked Turkey Burgers with FetaMaking a change from your usual burgers perhaps, these boast the lighter flavor of turkey. We are adding lemon and oregano for flavor, and stuffing the oven baked turkey burgers with feta cheese for a wonderful tang. The mint-cucumber dressing with these oven baked turkey burgers adds a Mediterranean touch, and you just need to combine equal parts of yogurt and grated cucumber to make it, adding in some fresh mint too. Oven baking these burgers is simple although you may pan-fry them if you prefer, or even pop them on the barbecue if it’s fired up already. If you wish to prepare the patties in advance you can just leave them in the .....
- Best iPad Mini Cases with KeyboardSee all the best keyboard cases for iPad Mini and pick out your favorite. There are iPad Mini cases with keyboard for every taste and budget, no matter whether you want a cute pink one, a handy one which doubles as a padded case, something neat for work, or something else. The iPad Mini is the newest Apple product on the market but there are already plenty of cool accessories for it. If you have one of these tablets already then you will want a cover to keep it safe and a keyboard to make typing speedier. Touch typing on the screen is time-consuming because it is usually one-fingered unless you have mastered the art of typing quicker on .....
- Choosing Kitchen Cabinets and CountersThe kitchen is the heart of the house, so choosing kitchen cabinets and counters is something you ought to take your time doing. This room is where you make delicious meals, congregate during parties and get the family together for a relaxing dinner. But even though you might have all the best kitchen gadgets, your kitchen cabinets and kitchen counters might need replacing. Why Replace Them Anyway Perhaps your cabinets are too small or they do not match the rest of the kitchen, which is why you are choosing kitchen cabinets and counters. Before you rush out to buy new ones, there are a few things to think about. How many cabinets do you need .....