This seafood soup recipe is made from scratch, so you will get all that amazing seafood flavor you love so much. Whether you are using lobster, crab, prawns or a mixture, the flavor you can expect is amazing.
The better the seafood broth you use in this seafood soup recipe, the better the recipe is going to taste. This is because the broth you pick is the basis of the recipe, so don’t skimp on this ingredient!
Whenever you are basing a whole recipe on a broth you need to make sure you use something of quality. It is so important.
Great Ingredients Blend Together in a Seafood Soup Recipe
There are quite a few different ingredients in this seafood soup recipe but use them all and you will be so glad you did. The most important ingredients are the seafood and whatever you use to make the broth.
Whenever you eat seafood save the shells and freeze them. Each time you have more, then add the shells to the mixture, and before too long you will have enough bits and pieces to make a seafood soup or seafood stock.Print
Homemade Shellfish Stock
Shellfish stock can be very simple or it can be spiced up for a lively finish, as is the case with this recipe which includes fire-roasted tomatoes, chili pepper, garlic and more, for an amazing flavor.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 35 mins
- Total Time: 50 mins
- Yield: 2 1x
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: American
- 250–500ml (1/2 – 1 pint) boiled shell stock
- 400g (14 oz) canned, fire-roasted, diced tomatoes
- Seafood (shrimp, crab, lobster or whatever you have)
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1 diced, roasted red pepper
- 4 teaspoons diced green chili pepper
- 2 jalapenos
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ancho chili pepper
- 850ml (1 3/4 pints) seafood stock
- 1 tablespoon fresh coriander (cilantro)
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 235ml (1/2 pint) red wine
- Half a teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt, to taste
- Extra-virgin olive oil, as needed
- If you have some seafood in the shell, discard the shells then cook them on a soft boil for 15 minutes.
- These shells will make great stock to add to the soup.
- Saute the onion in oil until tender and beginning to brown.
- Add the jalapeno and garlic for 2 minutes to soften.
- Add the tomatoes and seasonings, and then stir. Then add the wine.
- Add the stocks, tomato paste and bay leaf.
- Simmer for 10 minutes, adjusting the seasonings if need be.
- Add the seafood, adding the most dense items first.
- Cook for a minute or two and then add the smallest sizes last until everything is cooked through.
- Serve the soup with crusty bread, savoring the wonderfully fresh flavors.
This seafood soup recipe is really easy to make and if you appreciate the flavor of delicious fresh seafood you are going to love this. It is up to you which kind of seafood you use but lobster, shrimp and crab are all good.
When you cook the seafood bear in mind that everything has a different cooking time. A small shrimp will cook in 2 minutes, for example, while quarter of a whole crab is going to take longer. This seafood soup makes an aromatic, delicate and delicious starter recipe.
Photo by FreeDigitalPhotos.net