Corn is always good especially when you cook the fresh kind and slice it off the cob in sweet, juicy slices. I love this Monterey style sweet corn recipe as a side dish because it seems to complement just about everything from chicken or seafood to steak or game meats.
Why You Should Make a Monterey Style Sweet Corn Recipe
This dish is easy to prepare, attractively bright colored and is sure to appeal to even the youngest members of the family – those who are normally picky about vegetable-based sides!
I find about a tablespoon of jalapeno enough to give the the Monterey style sweet corn a bit of a bite, but of course some people prefer to add more while others want to omit all traces of spice from their food, so you be the judge here and adapt it to suit your own palate.
If you need to rustle this up in a hurry, you could use well-drained canned corn but honestly that doesn’t really do this south of the border inspired dish justice, so get some fresh ears of corn and make it from scratch. That way you will have a real explosion of flavor in your mouth with every mouthful. Try it with your favorite Mexican dishes.
This reheats nicely (a minute in the microwave will do it) so perhaps make a batch of this and enjoy it the next couple of days too. You can also eat it cold alongside deli meats if you want, or with a green salad.Print
Monterey Style Sweet Corn
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Yield: 2 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 2 ears of corn
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro (fresh coriander)
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onions (spring onions)
- 1 tablespoon finely diced jalapeño
- 1 tablespoon finely diced red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons shredded cotija cheese
- Salt, to taste
- Blanch the whole ears of corn in boiling, salted water for 5 minutes.
- Drain and allow to cool.
- Now cut the corn off cobs in long, wide strips.
- Melt the butter in a skillet.
- Add the green onions, jalapeños and red peppers.
- Sauté for a couple of minutes.
- Stir in the corn.
- Toss and season with salt.
- Now you can sprinkle with cilantro and cotija cheese, then serve..