How to Cook Lobster Tails
Lobster tails make a real treat and, when cooked right, you can expect a succulent, tasty result with plenty of ocean flavor. Learning how to cook lobster tails is straightforward and the results are impressive. These little delicacies might not be the cheapest type of seafood in the store (far from it, usually) but once it in a while it is nice to spoil yourself to a lobster tails recipe. Buying the tails is cheaper than buying a whole lobster, and they’re easier to prepare and eat too.
I spotted some of these on sale just after Christmas. Of course we had a full-to-bursting refrigerator then (who doesn’t?) but they were frozen, so into the freezer they went. When I felt like cooking them, I thawed them overnight in the fridge and then started researching the best recipes for them.
The two times I’d had lobster tails before were memorable. Once was in Gran Canaria and they were caught fresh that morning (it pays to have fishermen as friends!) and char-grilled, and the second time was on the Oasis of the Seas cruise ship and those were boiled. I wanted to know how to cook lobster tails so I could make them any time.
The first ones were best because they were fresh not frozen, but it is possible to cook lobster tails from frozen, and end up with an impressive result. So the first thing to do is plan ahead. If you start thawing them now, you can have them for tomorrow evening’s dinner.
How Many Lobster Tails per Person?
Part of learning how to cook lobster tails is knowing the quantities you need. One large lobster tail per person is reasonable if you’re having another protein, like steak, on the side (for a surf ‘n turf) – else you might want a couple if they are smaller or if you’re hungry.
I could probably eat three but I’m like that with seafood! I just love it! Lobsters vary in color but mine were an orange-red with lots of dark spots and dark bits on. They changed color as they cooked which is very handy for telling when they are done. When they look cooked, they are cooked.
I only bought one package of two because there are two of us and I figured one each would be enough (at that price) and I didn’t know if they were going to be any good anyway. Fortunately they were amazing but unfortunately the store doesn’t sell them any more (doh!) so I wish I’d got extra at the time.
What to Serve with Lobster Tails
So now you know how to cook lobster tails, but what will you serve with them? I melted some butter for mine and cut some lemon wedges. Then I prepared a nice salad on the side so all the focus would be on the lobster. You could have something else though, such as steamed green asparagus tips, a nice broccoli and cauliflower with cheese sauce (OK that is a bit heavy perhaps) or what about some couscous with fresh herbs? If you’re having this as an appetizer instead of an entree, then just have it on some salad leaves so you have some color on the plate. When making this, I brought some water to a boil, added some salt, and then popped the pair of lobster tails in there.
Within minutes they’d turned pinkish red and the meat was succulent. I love that you can see when they’re done by keeping an eye on the color change. They were then ready to serve and they were gorgeous! The slower you thaw lobster tails (ie overnight) the fresher they will taste when you serve them.
There are other ways to cook lobster tails of course, like broiling and baking, but boiling is so simple, why not begin with this recipe? The tails will be moist so you will like them, and once you are confident with this particular cooking method you can try others. I would use this recipe again but I haven’t seen any lobster tails in my local store recently, which is unfortunate because they are seriously good! Now you know how to cook lobster tails, it’s your turn!
- 2 fully thawed lobster tails
- Melted butter, to serve
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and add a pinch of salt.
- Add the lobster tails.
- Simmer then until they are done.
- Count on them taking between 4 and 10 minutes depending on size.
- When the shell changes color and the meat turns from glossy to opaque, the tails are ready.
- Let them cool for 5 minutes, then use sharp scissors to cut down the shell, so you can pull the meat out.
- Put the meat back in the shell and serve with the melted butter and lemon wedges.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Singapore Shrimp NoodlesSingapore shrimp noodles are easy to make. Any kind of noodles are lovely for lunch or dinner, and the following recipe shows you how to add a nice typical Singapore flavor to the noodles. You will end up with a complete dish which needs no other accompaniment. You can swap the shrimp for chicken or tofu if you would rather use one of those, or even combine a few different proteins, and substitute any other vegetables you want if you fancy changing things up a bit. Added sliced chili is optional but most Singaporeans would want to add it since they love spicy food. One of the first Singapore meals I ever tried was chili crab, a typical .....
- Starter Recipes for All SeasonsThere is no rule that you have to serve cold starters in the spring or summer and nor is there a rule to say you have to serve thick, warming ones in the winter months. However, it can be nice to match them to the seasons as well as to your guests and the main course. You will find there are starter recipes for all seasons if you want to use seasonal produce to make the most delicious appetizers. For example, if the weather is warm your guests might fancy something light and refreshing and that goes for the drinks as well as the food. If the weather is cold, a hearty soup recipe or something hot, crispy and spicy might be well appreciated. .....
- Easy Pork and Ginger WontonsChinese recipes have been used for generations and have slowly been adapted to the Western world. However, if you want authentic, healthy meals, this cuisine is perfect. Try these easy pork and ginger wontons and you will see just how delicious Chinese food can be. There are many different recipes available to cater to your taste and budget. Ingredients need to be fresh, ensuring that all of the nutrients are locked inside the meal. There are ingredients which are chosen for every Chinese recipe, to enhance the flavors and produce the ideal texture. Vegetables are a huge part of these recipes, and you will find that many different forms can .....
- Easy Freekeh SaladBefore you think about making this easy freekeh salad you might be wondering about this grain. What is freekeh, you might be thinking, and that is a very good question because a lot of people have never heard of this particular grain. Freekeh can also be spelt frikeh, and it is known as farik as well. This cereal food is made from green wheat which goes through a roasting process. It is traditional in Arabian cuisine along with North African and some other cuisines. The wheat is harvested while the seeds are soft and the grains are yellow, and then it is sun-dried. Piles of freekeh are set on fire and the straw and chaff burn, leaving the .....
- How to Plan Kitchen ImprovementsIf you want to improve your kitchen it is vital to plan it properly. If you don’t plan well, you might end up with an expensive bad kitchen which you are unhappy with. This is why it’s vital to learn how to plan kitchen layout, improvements and everything else. In the past, kitchen planning involved the stove, sink and refrigerator work triangle and the work surfaces took second place. Today there is a lot more to think about. Do you want a modern style kitchen? Do you want a rustic style kitchen with a kitchen pantry? Do you have your own ideas about how to blend styles to give your kitchen your own personal touch? It is common these .....
- Cream Cheese Stuffed Sweet PeppersThese cream cheese stuffed sweet peppers are gorgeous and I often make them as a side dish. I like to use the long pointy red peppers, both because of their nice, sweet flavor, and also because of how they lie flat on the plate and don’t fall over. You can use bell peppers if you want, or even chilies if you have a taste for them. Roast these in the oven or broil them if you prefer. Keep an eye on them. You will be able to see when they are done. Tweak if You Wish It is perfectly possible to tweak this cream cheese stuffed sweet peppers recipe based on what you have. I have made these with just the peppers and the cream cheese before .....
- Homemade Pizza on French BreadPizza comes frozen or from the pizza delivery place or from your local Italian restaurant. But wait, what about the best pizza? Well that would be the kind you make yourself at home! Honest, it’s so quick and easy to make pizza yourself and you don’t even have to make the dough. This homemade pizza on French bread will have the kids (and grownups) beating down the kitchen door, it smells so good! The quickest pizza recipe probably has to be this tortilla pizza but next up you have baguette pizza or French bread pizza, which is French bread, French stick or baguette bread (however you call it) topped with tomato sauce and pizza .....
- Best Beer Brewing SystemsBrewing systems come in different shapes and sizes, so you can choose whatever of the best beer brewing systems is best for you. This device will allow you to make your own beer or other drinks at home without having to lift heavy brew kettles. You can choose from beer, wine, cider, mead, and other drinks using the process of fermentation. You can make non-alcoholic or alcoholic drinks with these systems. It’s Legal, Right? Well, the legality of home brewing does vary from place to place, although it has been done in various places all over the globe for over 7000 years. If you fancy making your own beer, why not have a look at some of .....
- Cat Behavior ExplainedOur furry feline friends have some fascinating behavioral habits which might be confusing to their owners but they do have explanatory reasons. Why do cats purr for example? Does it mean they are happy and content? Here is a look at some of the more common feline behaviors so you can consider at least some cat behavior explained. Cat Behavior: Why Do Cats Purr? Cats use purring as a communication device. A cat will purr when something makes them feel happy, comfortable or safe. A kitten and its mother often purr together as a sign of comfort and being relaxed and the kitten will continue the purring behavior throughout its life. It has also .....
- Crunchy Asian Salad with Sesame DressingThis is my current favorite crunch Asian salad with sesame dressing recipe. It contrasts crunchy and soft ingredients and boasts a wonderful Asian flavor in every mouthful. What really finishes it off perfectly is the roasted sesame dressing. I like to use rice noodles for this, although egg noodles would also work, or even thick udon noodles. For the vegetables in this Asian salad with sesame dressing, I like to use edamame beans, grated carrot and radish. You can either thaw some frozen shelled edamame beans or use fresh shelled ones, as you prefer. Buy grated carrot to save time when making an Asian salad with sesame dressing, else you .....