How to Cook Lobster Tails
Lobster tails make a real treat and, when cooked right, you can expect a succulent, tasty result with plenty of ocean flavor. Learning how to cook lobster tails is straightforward and the results are impressive. These little delicacies might not be the cheapest type of seafood in the store (far from it, usually) but once it in a while it is nice to spoil yourself to a lobster tails recipe. Buying the tails is cheaper than buying a whole lobster, and they’re easier to prepare and eat too.
I spotted some of these on sale just after Christmas. Of course we had a full-to-bursting refrigerator then (who doesn’t?) but they were frozen, so into the freezer they went. When I felt like cooking them, I thawed them overnight in the fridge and then started researching the best recipes for them.
The two times I’d had lobster tails before were memorable. Once was in Gran Canaria and they were caught fresh that morning (it pays to have fishermen as friends!) and char-grilled, and the second time was on the Oasis of the Seas cruise ship and those were boiled. I wanted to know how to cook lobster tails so I could make them any time.
The first ones were best because they were fresh not frozen, but it is possible to cook lobster tails from frozen, and end up with an impressive result. So the first thing to do is plan ahead. If you start thawing them now, you can have them for tomorrow evening’s dinner.
How Many Lobster Tails per Person?
Part of learning how to cook lobster tails is knowing the quantities you need. One large lobster tail per person is reasonable if you’re having another protein, like steak, on the side (for a surf ‘n turf) – else you might want a couple if they are smaller or if you’re hungry.
I could probably eat three but I’m like that with seafood! I just love it! Lobsters vary in color but mine were an orange-red with lots of dark spots and dark bits on. They changed color as they cooked which is very handy for telling when they are done. When they look cooked, they are cooked.
I only bought one package of two because there are two of us. I figured one each would be enough (at that price) and I didn’t know if they were going to be any good anyway. Fortunately they were amazing but unfortunately the store doesn’t sell them any more (doh!) so I wish I’d got extra at the time.
What to Serve with Lobster Tails
So now you know how to cook lobster tails, but what will you serve with them? I melted some butter for mine and cut some lemon wedges. Then I prepared a nice salad on the side so all the focus would be on the lobster. You could have something else though, such as steamed green asparagus tips, a nice broccoli and cauliflower with cheese sauce (OK that is a bit heavy perhaps) or what about some couscous with fresh herbs?
If you’re having this as an appetizer instead of an entree, then just have it on some salad leaves so you have some color on the plate. When making this, I brought some water to a boil, added some salt, and then popped the pair of lobster tails in there.
Within minutes they’d turned pinkish red and the meat was succulent. I love that you can see when they’re done by keeping an eye on the color change. They were then ready to serve and they were gorgeous! The slower you thaw lobster tails (ie overnight) the fresher they will taste when you serve them.
How to Cook Lobster Tails the Best Way
There are other ways to cook lobster tails of course, like broiling and baking, but boiling is so simple, why not begin with this recipe? The tails will be moist so you will like them, and once you are confident with this particular cooking method you can try others.
I would use this recipe again but I haven’t seen any lobster tails in my local store recently, which is unfortunate because they are seriously good! Now you know how to cook lobster tails, it’s your turn!
- 2 fully thawed lobster tails
- Melted butter, to serve
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and add a pinch of salt.
- Add the lobster tails.
- Simmer then until they are done.
- Count on them taking between 4 and 10 minutes depending on size.
- When the shell changes color and the meat turns from glossy to opaque, the tails are ready.
- Let them cool for 5 minutes, then use sharp scissors to cut down the shell, so you can pull the meat out.
- Put the meat back in the shell and serve with the melted butter and lemon wedges.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Best Braised Lamb Shanks in Red WineLamb shanks are a wonderful thing to serve on a cold day, so as fall arrives and winter rolls in, stock up on these meaty treats and you can braise them to make the most delicious meals. Braising means slow-cooking in liquid, and you can choose from beer, wine or other liquids. There is plenty of meat on a lamb shank and the flavor is phenomenal. I especially love this braised lamb shanks in red wine recipe because the flavors are so amazing. So Much Appeal in this Dish Lamb shanks smell incredible while they cook and the flavor will drive you half-crazy with anticipation! The following braised lamb shanks in red wine recipe is easy to make .....
- Mac Makeup BrushesMac makeup brushes are used by professionals all over the world and if you want to buy discount Mac makeup brushes that is completely possible. This brand is really famous and offers high quality. Brush Choices Mac makeup brushes review websites will provide you with all of the information you need to determine which brushes you want to purchase. There are several different brushes to choose, which will ensure that you can apply your makeup with ease. All of the makeup brushes are made from top quality materials, ensuring that you are buying only the best......
- How to Microwave VegetablesThe best thing about using a microwave to cook your vegetables is you can be assured of great results every time. If you boil or roast them you might leave them in there too long and end up overdoing them and, let’s face it, what’s worst than soggy overcooked veggies? Learn how to microwave vegetables and you have a new speedy way of cooking them. A microwave cooks vegetables by producing electromagnetic waves which force polarized water molecules to oscillate. This makes the temperature increase. Plant foods, namely fruit and veggies, have more water in them than, for example, meat, making them ideal candidates for the microwave because .....
- Hot Honey and Lemon Drink for the FluNobody likes to be suffering with a cold or the flu but if you are unfortunate enough to have it, then the good news is there is a wonderful hot honey and lemon drink for the flu you can make yourself quickly and easily, which will help you feel better. All you need are honey and lemon to make this hot honey and lemon drink for the flu, as well as some hot water, so while the kettle is coming to a boil, you can squeeze some fresh lemon juice. If you don’t have any lemons then squeezy lemon juice will do at a pinch. You might also want to add some whiskey, brandy or your favorite liquor. Although this does not do much for your cold or .....
- Pork and Beef Crackslaw with Shredded VeggiesThis pork and beef crackslaw recipe is made using a combination of pork and beef. Although you can make crackslaw with any kind of ground meat (including poultry if you wish) I find that combining pork with beef gives a pleasing result. The pork is juicy and the beef has its own distinctive flavor. They just combine well, especially when making something like pork and beef crackslaw. Here in Holland you can’t buy ground pork by itself (at least not in my local store) which is why I use the half and half mixture quite a lot. Yes I could grind my own pork but I haven’t yet done that. I do have a meat grinder attachment on my food .....
- Korean Tuna and Broccoli PancakesI had some leftover broccoli and decided to experiment a little, after the success of my vegetable jeon the other day. These Korean tuna and broccoli pancakes came out really well and I decided to share the recipe. They are so good! What are Jeon? Jeon (pronounced jun) is a Korean pancake and these fantastic little snacks make a great appetizer, or you could serve them as the main dish. Suitable for breakfast, lunch, dinner or just a snack, there are lots of different jeon recipes. Making this Korean tuna and broccoli pancakes recipe is easy. Combine an egg, a couple tablespoons of flour and a handful of your main ingredient (could be mashed .....
- Indian Ground Beef with Fresh Tomato SaladThis Indian ground beef recipe is just amazing and I have made it 5 or 6 times. Despite beef not being the most popular meat in India (the Holy Cow and all that) it works beautifully with this recipe and these seasonings, so if you are into beef and you want to make something Indian, consider this recipe. The ingredients in this Indian ground beef dish work amazingly together and the finished dish is just heaven on a plate. You will cook the beef and onion, then add chickpeas, curry powder and stock. This mixture is served spooned over naan bread with a fresh tomato and cilantro salad......
- Yeast Infection Diet AdviceYeast infections can manifest in several different areas of your body, and can affect anyone regardless of age or gender. This form of infection is most commonly found in women and will affect the vaginal area. One of the most natural ways to fight this off is following the yeast infection diet. There are several different reasons for the yeast infection to surface, including a poor diet, stress, unhygienic behavior or using antibiotics. Understanding Fungus and Why It is in Your Body Before explaining more about the yeast infection diet, let’s look at this disease in more detail. A yeast infection will occur when the level of natural .....
- French Manicure VideosA lot of girls have trouble applying a professional looking French manicure This is understandable because not only do you have to pick out the best French manicure nail polishes but you also have to get your nails the right shape, apply the white tip evenly and professionally, and get the result looking beautiful. French manicure videos are very important because you will want the prettiest result! The smallest error is glaringly obvious when painting your nails French manicure colors. So it pays to familiarize yourself with French manicure videos, as well as practicing a lot. What is a French Manicure? To paint a French manicure you need .....
- Orange and Avocado Salad RecipeIf you are looking for a quick, easy vegetarian salad recipe, this one is very good and takes just minutes to put together. The sharpness of the oranges contrasts very well with the soft creaminess of the avocado and the lemon juice and oil dressing finishes it off just right. I love this orange and avocado salad recipe and have made it a few times now. Simple Yet So Good This orange and avocado salad recipe might sound very basic but a lot of recipes are great because they are kept simple, not in spite of it. Avocado offers a creamy nutty flavor which is wonderful with the orange, and this is also a colorful dish, not just a tasty one. It .....