Coq au vin is a wonderful French dish featuring chicken, bacon, mushrooms and red wine. Coq au vin with white wine is also good although less traditional. Other typical ingredients in authentic coq au vin include garlic, thyme and onion. This easy recipe for coq au vin shows how to to prepare this wonderful French meal.
If your mouth is watering already, you are not alone! This combination of ingredients appeals to nearly every palate, offering both richness and gentle aromatic flavor.
Coq au Vin: Harmonious Flavors Come Together
The red wine and bacon work beautifully together to add a special rich taste to the finished easy recipe for coq au vin dish, and of course the chicken thighs offer plenty of juicy flavor of their own.
Coq au vin might have a posh name but it is just French for ‘chicken in wine’ and there isn’t much difference between this and a chicken in red wine stew recipe, but make coq au vin and you will be guaranteed of an authentic French flavor.
Serve this with roasted potatoes or mashed potatoes. The French would probably go for the former option which I love mash so I like to have mashed potatoes with it!
Traditional Coq au Vin Recipe: How to Make It
This iconic French dish is so simple. You need to brown the chicken thighs all over then remove them from the pan. Now it is time to fry the bacon and onions, then the garlic and mushrooms. The chicken goes back in and then you can add the rest of the ingredients.
Let it simmer gently until all the flavors are well blended and the chicken thighs are perfectly cooked. While the dish is simmering you can work on making any side dishes you are going to have.Print
Easy Recipe for Coq au Vin
This classic French dish is very rich and tasty. The red wine, bacon and garlic add typical French flavors to the chicken. Serve this with rice or with mashed potatoes.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Total Time: 55 mins
- Yield: 2 1x
- Category: Main Dish
- Cuisine: French
- 3 boneless skinless halved chicken thighs
- ½ tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 chopped onion
- 2½ fl oz (75ml) red wine
- 1 strip lean smoked bacon, chopped
- 3½ oz (100g) halved mushrooms
- 2 crushed cloves garlic
- 6¾ fl oz (200ml) chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons tomato concentrate
- Few sprigs of fresh thyme
- Spray oil, as needed
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Dust the chicken with the flour, then fry in spray oil until browned on all sides.
- Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the onions and bacon to pan, and cook 2 or 3 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and garlic, and cook 2 minutes.
- Return the chicken to the pan.
- Pour in the wine and stock.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add the thyme and the tomato concentrate.
- Simmer gently for 30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked.
- Season with salt and black pepper and serve.
- If you prefer to use white wine you can use that instead for a different yet equally delicious result.
Keywords: coq au vin, coco vin, chicken coq au vin, coquovin recipe, cocovan recipe, french chicken recipe with wine