Whip up some of these easy salmon patties with breadcrumbs and you have a quick and easy evening meal for the whole family. I use canned salmon to make these easy salmon patties but you could use tuna instead or even crab. Just ensure it is drained well before incorporating with the other ingredients.
First drain the salmon in a sieve and then combine it with a beaten egg, some onion and breadcrumbs. And that is all you need to add to make salmon patties with breadcrumbs.
If you want to add extra ingredients though, go ahead and consider herbs, garlic, or anything else you wish to throw in there. I use a food processor to combine the ingredients.
When making hamburgers (with meat) you need to take care not to over-mix because the burgers can become tough but with canned salmon it doesn’t matter, and you will only need a few quick pulses in the food processor to combine the ingredients anyway.
If you don’t have one, you can simply stir or mash the ingredients together, and the same applies if you prefer a chunkier texture in your easy fried salmon patties with bread crumbs.
Salmon Patties with Breadcrumbs: How to Cook
You can sauté these easy salmon patties with breadcrumbs in oil in a skillet on the stove, or you could bake them in the oven if you wanted to. The directions for cooking them on the stove follows.
If you want to bake them, heat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) and bake them for about 5 minutes per side or until done. I find if I chill the patties in the refrigerator for an hour or so before cooking, they hold together better.
Salmon Patties without Breadcrumbs: What to Use Instead
Don’t want to use breadcrumbs? No problem. You can use cracker crumbs (try low carb crackers if you’re looking for a keto recipe for salmon cakes or even add almond flour instead).Print
Easy Salmon Patties with Breadcrumbs
These juicy salmon patties include breadcrumbs, egg and onion. Optional additions include Old Bay, herbs or garlic. These take minutes to saute to perfection, and are great with any side dishes you like.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins
- Total Time: 15 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Entree
- 14 oz (400g) canned salmon
- 1 egg
- 1/4 chopped small yellow onion
- 1/2 cup (45g) seasoned dry breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- Few drops of liquid smoke
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh dill weed
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- Drain the salmon well.
- Combine the drained salmon with the egg, onion and breadcrumbs.
- Add any of the optional ingredients you want to use.
- You can either mash the ingredients together by hand or use a food processor.
- If the mixture is too dry, you can add some of the liquid you drained out of the salmon or a little mayonnaise.
- If it is too wet, you can add more breadcrumbs.
- Shape 4 patties.
- At this point you can chill them in the refrigerator for a couple of hours if you want, else proceed with the recipe.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet and fry the patties in there for 2 minutes per side or until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels and serve.
- Serving Size: 1 patty -
- Calories: 250
Photo by Cookbookman17, on Flickr