Elizabethan chicken in cream sauce recipe features chicken breasts – a lean and healthy choice. In addition, onion and chicken stock go into the mix for the base.
The real appeal comes when you add grapes and sour cream, transforming this dish into something fruity and unique. Nutmeg and cider vinegar add a spicy twist to the flavor, and this may be served on rice or on a bed of mashed potatoes.
Like most of my recipes, this Elizabethan chicken in cream sauce is pleasingly simple to put together. First you need to brown the chicken and then just keep it warm while you prepare the rest of the dish.
Golden pan-fried onions are then simmered with the chicken and some vinegar and chicken stock, before you make a tasty sauce with the grapes, cream and seasonings.
Spoon the chicken over rice or potatoes and ladle the thick, creamy sauce on top, for a perfect meal.
Elizabethan Chicken in Cream Sauce: Spicing It Up
Mace can be used rather than the nutmeg if you prefer, and you can even add half a teaspoon of curry powder to this dish for a fragrant appeal. But made just as the recipe details, it is lovely, and this always goes down a treat.
Taste this Elizabethan chicken in cream sauce as you go to ensure the flavors are perfectly as you want them. In the photo you cannot see the green grapes but just imagine they are in there (I will find a better photo sometime!) and you will realize how amazing this dish is.Print
Elizabethan Chicken in Cream Sauce
Elizabethan chicken is a lovely recipe. Teaming chicken, grapes, cream and nutmeg, this is a fragrant, aromatic dish which is lovely served with rice. Another side dish option is mashed potatoes.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 2 1x
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: British
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 diced onion
- Spray oil
- 2½ fl oz (75 ml) chicken stock
- ½ tablespoon cider vinegar
- 3½ oz (100g) halved seedless grapes
- 2 oz (60 ml) reduced fat sour cream or crème fraiche
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon cornstarch
- Salt and black pepper
- Green part only of a green onion, for garnish (optional)
- Brown the chicken in oil on both sides.
- Remove and keep warm.
- Heat more oil and fry the onions gently until golden.
- Return the chicken to the pan with stock and vinegar.
- Bring to boil and simmer 8-10 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a serving dish.
- Add the grapes, sour cream, nutmeg, cornstarch and salt and black pepper to the pan.
- Heat through until thickened then pour the sauce over the chicken and serve.
- Sprinkle some chopped green onions over the sauce for a garnish if you wish.