When the cold months are here, nothing is as comforting as an Irish lamb stew recipe with bacon. There are different Irish stew recipes to choose from, but the main ingredients stay the same, and those are lamb, potatoes and carrots, as well as a delicious sauce/gravy.
This Irish lamb stew recipe with bacon is nice served with a generous chunk of bread for sopping up all those wonderful juices. You can make a huge pot of it and let people ladle some into their bowls. Most of the family will want a second bowlful because this is such a tasty meal.
Something great about traditional Irish stew is its simplicity. You do not need lots of different ingredients to make it because all the flavor comes from the meat and vegetables. If in doubt, why not make a pot full of this. Everyone is sure to be blown away by the amazing taste.
Irish Lamb Stew Recipe with Bacon: Make It Filling
Some recipes feature barley or another grain but this one is filling enough just with the addition of the lamb and veggies, so we are not using it here. If you are curious about making a crockpot Irish lamb stew recipe with bacon then you can do so. Just give it about 10 hours on low or until the lamb is tender and the vegetables are too.
What Kind of Pot to Use for Irish Stew with Bacon
This Irish lamb stew recipe with bacon is such a delicious, hearty meal. Use a heavy-bottomed pot for making it. Anything with a thin base (and I speak from experience here) is going to get too hot on the bottom and you don’t want your stew to stick to the pot. Heavy-bottomed pots cost more than the light ones but they’re worth it and will last for many years.
This one-pot feast makes enough stew to serve 10 but it keeps for a few days in the refrigerator so you can warm it up again for tomorrow’s lunch or even freeze some. Halve the recipe if there are only a couple of you though.Print
Traditional Irish Stew with Lamb
Making Irish stew could not be easier, and this recipe shows you how to make it the authentic Irish way using plenty of tasty lamb and wholesome veggies.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 2 hours 25 mins
- Total Time: 2 hours 45 mins
- Yield: 10 1x
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Irish
- 1 1/2 pounds diced bacon
- 6 pounds boneless lamb shoulder, in 2 inch cubes
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons white sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup white wine
- 4 cups diced carrots
- 3 potatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 3 chopped yellow onions
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 cups beef stock
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Fry the bacon in a skillet until evenly browned, then drain and crumble it.
- Toss the lamb with the flour, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Brown the lamb in the skillet in the bacon fat, then transfer it into a stock pot, leaving 1/4 cup of fat in the skillet.
- Saute the garlic with 1 of the onions in the skillet until the onions start to become light brown, then deglaze the skillet with the water.
- Add the onion mixture to the skillet with the bacon, stock and sugar.
- Cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
- Add the potatoes, carrots, remaining onions, thyme, bay leaves and wine to the pot.
- Turn the heat down and simmer covered for 20 minutes or until all the veggies are tender.
Irish stew can be garnished with some fresh parsley, like in the picture.
It is even better the following day so a lot of people will make this a day in advance then reheat it gently. The flavors just seem more intense that way.
Paula Deen Signature Porcelain Nonstick 6-Piece Cookware Soup and Stew Set
Paula Deen is synonymous with cooking and this 6 piece cookware set is not only gorgeous looking but it will also perform very capably and last you for years.
Try making your Irish lamb stew recipe with bacon in here.
Whether you make lots of stews or the occasional one, and regardless of your cooking ability and what kind of food you like, everyone needs good quality pots and pans.
They will affect the outcome of your recipes. This is a great cookware soup and stew set to consider.
Paula Deen Signature Porcelain Nonstick 6-Piece Cookware Soup and Stew Set, Red Speckle