Crispy sweet potato fries are always good. They pair well with many a snack. Enjoy this crunchy treat with sandwiches, burgers, ribs, or even just some ketchup to dip them in! Sometimes you want a sweet side. Not necessarily fruit but something sweet.
However, many of us have the problem of homemade sweet potato fries being, well, not crispy enough. That’s why you need to know the secret of crispy sweet potato fries. And that’s when it’s hard to get that restaurant quality finish.
It’s frustrating but doable, hence this recipe. Make these and I promise you will be pleased with the result. This way, you get to enjoy sweet, savory and crispy all at once! If you’re into your food, well you will know just what I mean.
I’ve never had real success with my oven baked sweet potato fries. But… what I have discovered is a great recipe to get them super-crispy using a deep fryer. I am sharing my recipe with you below.
Why Use Sweet Potatoes for Fries
The reason I use sweet potato fries is my husband is diabetic and white potatoes tend to send his blood sugar soaring. Carisma potatoes (the diabetic-friendly potato) don’t fry that great, although they mash like a dream!
Feel free to tweak the spices you are using. These are your easy sweet potato fries, so adjust your own spices to taste. Also, if you don’t have soda water just use plain tap water. I have done that when making them. Honestly, it doesn’t make a lot of difference to the fries.
Crispy Sweet Potato Fries: Trust the Batter
The batter gives the fries amazing crispness. The seasonings taste amazing in these as well. Serve these crispy sweet potato fries hot alongside your favorite meal. Just wait for all those compliments to come your way!Print
The Secret of Crispy Sweet Potato Fries
This is hands down the best way to make crispy sweet potato fries which are super-crunchy on the outside but soft in the center. Enjoy them alongside meat, poultry or with a hearty hamburger.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 8 mins
- Total Time: 18 mins
- Yield: 2 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- 1 lb (450g) sweet potatoes, cut into 1/4 inch (3/4 cm) batons
- 3 cups (750ml) oil, for deep frying
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup (70g) cornstarch (cornflour), maybe more
- 1/3 cup (80ml) club soda or plain tap water
- First heat the oil to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) in a deep fryer or heavy pot.
- Whisk the cornstarch and club soda together with the salt, garlic and paprika.
- You might need to add more cornstarch if it’s too runny.
- In batches, dip the potatoes into the batter, allow any excess to drip off and hold the uncooked fries on a wire rack.
- Now you can deep fry them, stirring occasionally until golden brown and crispy.
- This will take approximately 8 minutes.
- Grind some salt over them and serve.
To make enough for the family, simply double or triple the recipe.