The classic French tuna nicoise salad is made with tuna, tomatoes, eggs, and nicoise olives. It can be served on a platter or on single plates. Some people like to serve it on a bed of salad leaves while others do not. You can use cooked or canned tuna.
Perhaps you have had this before in a French restaurant, in which case it would have been made with ahi tuna (or canned tuna if it was a more casual setting). The following recipe shows you how to recreate this wonderfully balanced dish yourself.
Optional Ingredients in Tuna Nicoise Salad
Optional ingredients in tuna nicoise salad might include shallots, sweet red peppers and artichoke hearts. You will not find cooked vegetables in this salad though, apart from the potatoes and green beans.
This is a very tasty tuna nicoise salad recipe, and you can tweak it if you wish, making it with fresh ahi tuna rather than canned, or making any other adjustments you want. The following recipe is ideal served for lunch or you could serve it as a light evening meal.Print
Tuna Nicoise Salad
Tuna, tomatoes, hard-boiled eggs and green beans, along with potatoes, are typical ingredients in this classic French salad recipe. Our recipes shows you how to make it, along with a flavorful dressing.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: French
- 13½ oz (385g) canned tuna
- 1 lb (450g) fingerling potatoes
- 8 oz (230g) green beans
- 4 sliced hard-boiled eggs
- 2 chopped ripe tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Niçoise olives (optional)
- Dill pickles (optional)
- Lemon wedges (optional)
- 3 cups salad greens
For the Dressing:
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 minced garlic clove
- ¼ cup (125 ml) white vinegar
- ¼ cup (125 ml) cider vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 cup (250 ml) canola oil
- ¼ teaspoon lemon-pepper spice mix
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- First make the dressing by mixing the oil, vinegars, garlic and Dijon in a food processor.
- Whisk in the lemon pepper seasoning, mustard powder, and salt and black pepper to taste.
- Taste the mixture and add more lemon pepper, vinegar and/or salt to taste if necessary.
- Boil the potatoes in salted water for 10 minutes or until tender, then remove them and let them cool.
- Add the green beans to the same water and cook for 3 minutes or until crisp-tender and bright green.
- Drain the beans.
- Slice the potatoes and toss them with 2 tablespoons of melted butter.
- Add salt and black pepper to taste.
- Toss the green beans with the rest of the butter and add salt and black pepper.
- Stir a little of the dressing into the tuna.
- Arrange the lettuce on a serving platter and top with the potatoes, eggs, tomatoes, green beans, and tuna.
- Add the olives and/or dill pickles if using, and some lemon wedges if liked.
- Serve the rest of the dressing on the side.