3 ingredient potato soup, or potato soup 3 ingredients, is just as straightforward as you’d hope! This fall/winter warmer of a dish is truly delicious and there are several optional add-ins you might want to consider.
With only 3 ingredients this has to be one of the easiest potato soup recipes there is, so it is well worth keeping this recipe handy. It is cheap and cheerful, rich and delicious. This fantastic soup can be served with fresh-baked bread or biscuits, or you can enjoy it just as it is for a simple, warming dish which is ideal for lunch or even served as an evening meal.
3 Ingredient Potato Soup to Make Ahead
You can make it ahead and then take it with you to work in a thermos, or else warm it up in the microwave if your office has one. Your coworkers are going to be really jealous when they see you eating this and they only have their usual boring sandwiches.
Try double or tripling the recipe, or adding extra ingredients like cheese or bacon if you wish. It is up to you how much cream you are going to add because some people like a lot while others just want to add a dash. It really depends if you want a thick or thin soup.
I love making tasty hot soup on a cold winter day and this is one of the easiest to prepare. It is very comforting when the weather is not very good and it warms you from the inside out. The aroma of the soup on the stove seems to call the family from across the house and everyone appears in the kitchen to find out what the amazing smell is.
All you need to make this are potatoes, onion and cream. Add a touch of salt and black pepper and that is all you need to make this easy 3 ingredient potato soup.
This recipe shows you how to blend the ingredients to make the finished soup. Sometimes I like to add celery, chopped ham or crisp crumbled bacon.
A sprinkling of chives is also good, and you might also like to consider a little garlic in there, but only a little so as not to overpower the other flavors in the soup.Print
3 Ingredient Potato Soup
You only need 3 ingredients to make this super easy 3 ingredient potato soup recipe and you might want to double or triple the ingredients because yes – it’s that good!
Also, there are plenty of optional extras you can throw in too, to personalize the soup to your own palate. See the list of optional additions after the recipe directions and take your pick.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stove
- 6 peeled, chopped large potatoes
- 1½ chopped medium-size yellow onions
- 1 cup (250ml) heavy cream (double cream)
- Put the potatoes in a pot with the onions and any optional add-ins like celery or ham.
- Add enough water to almost (but not quite) cover everything.
- Bring the soup to a boil.
- Turn down the heat, cover and simmer for 25 minutes (set a timer because you don’t want to forget it like last time I made this recipe!)
- Use a potato masher to break up some of the potatoes.
- Add the cream, using less or more perhaps, depending how thick you want your soup.
- Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Salt and black pepper (add at the end, to taste)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped celery (add at the start)
- Chopped cooked ham or bacon (add near the end if using)
Keywords: 3 ingredient potato soup, potato soup recipe, easy potato soup, quick potato soup